Click here to return to the main page.
Head of the Resistance in Los Angeles who leads the increasingly-desperate attempt to fend off the Legion of the Star.
- Angsty Surviving Twin: She never moves on from Ty's death. When Emma gives her a cellphone containing Ty's photos, she immediately breaks down.
- Dead Alternate Counterpart: Inverted. She is still alive, while her main universe counterpart is dead.
- Due to the Dead: Despite runes no longer working in Thule, Livvy still maintains a mourning rune to remember her dead family.
- Knight in Sour Armor: Thanks to numerous tragedies in her life, she views the resistance as a lost cause, but is nevertheless determined to salvage anything she can.
- Last of His Kind: The last Blackthorn, all of her siblings having died, disappeared, or Endarkened. This is ironically a reverse of the situation in the main universe, where Livvy is the only Blackthorn sibling to die.
- The Leader: She leads the free humans/Downworlders colony of Los Angeles.
- Mr. Exposition: Provides the bulk of information about Thule to Emma and Julian.
A senior member of the Resistance and Livvy's boyfriend.
- And I Must Scream: Tessa is forced to close Silent City before Sebastian and his army can enter it, even though Cameron is still there. As a result, Cameron is trapped and will spend the rest of his life there, as the only person who can open the gates, Tessa, is dead.
- The Mole: Is a double agent within the Legion of the Star, enabling him to bypass demon curfews.
- White Sheep: Like in the main universe, Cameron is the only Ashdown who is aligned with the side of good, though instead of the Cohort, most Ashdowns are now aligned with the Legion of the Star.
Diana Wrayburn (born David Laurence Wrayburn)An elite Shadowhunter who assists Livvy as part of the Resistance.
- In Spite of a Nail:
- Since the side of good lost the Dark War, Diana was never assigned to become the Shadowhunter teacher of the Los Angeles Institute. Despite this, she still became close with a Blackthorn (Livvy), albeit through a different circumstance.
- She also still ended up becoming close with Cristina, who is said to be even more of a badass than in the main universe.
- Internal Reveal: Emma and Julian learn about Diana's transgender secret from her Thule counterpart, though the readers have known this since Lord of Shadows. Since they have bigger things to worry about, the secret is nothing unusual in Thule.
A vampire who is a senior member of the Resistance.
- Dead Alternate Counterpart: Inverted. He is still alive, while his main universe counterpart is dead.
- Other Me Annoys Me: He is horrified to learn that his main universe counterpart died protecting Magnus.
- So Proud of You: When Emma says that Lily is the leader of the New York vampire clan in the main universe, Raphael visibly smiles.
- You Killed My Father: Raphael was originally willing to negotiate with Sebastian for the safety of vampires, until he killed Lily Chen. Then he declared war against Sebastian and managed to turn many Downworlders against him.
A werewolf member of the Resistance.
- Due to the Dead: She has tattoos of clary sage, blue flame, arrow, and lily, honoring her dead friends Clary, Magnus, Alec, and Lily.
- In Spite of a Nail: Like in the main universe, she is dating Bat, meaning her relationship with Jordan also did not work out in Thule, though whether it's because he is killed is unrevealed.
Bartholomew "Bat" Velasquez
A werewolf member of the Resistance and Maia's boyfriend.
- In Spite of a Nail: Like in the main universe, he is dating Maia, meaning her relationship with Jordan also did not work out in Thule, though whether it's because he is killed is unrevealed.
A former Shadowhunter who is part of the Resistance.
- Those Two Guys: She is always seen with her best friend Rayan Maduabuchi.
A former Shadowhunter who is part of the Resistance.
- Those Two Guys: He is always seen with his best friend Divya Joshi.
Former head of the New York Institute, she is the first Resistance member to be introduced.
- Dead Alternate Counterpart: To the main universe's Maryse, who is still alive as of 2012.
- Dying Declaration of Love: A platonic version. The lullaby she sings to Jace before he executes her basically affirms that she will always love him regardless of what he is about to do to her.
- Face Death with Dignity: She doesn't cry, beg, or do anything else in the face of death, other than singing the French lullaby she used to sing to her children when they were little.
- Off with His Head!: She is decapitated, then the rest of her body is fed to vampires.
- Outliving One's Offspring: All three of her biological children died before her (Max was killed by Sebastian, Isabelle was slain by Sebastian during the final stages of the Dark War, and Alec committed suicide after he was forced to kill Magnus) and her adopted son, Jace, while still alive, is as good as dead anyway.
- Sacrificial Lamb: Her gruesome death is used to quickly establish how screwed up Thule is. Not only because a version of Maryse is someone who has been with the readers for years, but also because the one who executes her is Jace.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Bites the dust just a few pages after her introduction.
The Legion of the Star
Jonathan Christopher "Sebastian" MorgensternThe leader of the Legion of the Star, he won the Dark War and allowed demons to take over Thule. He is effectively the monarch of Thule.
- Abusive Parents: He abused Ash during the five years they are together and, if the latter's words are anything to go by, also threatened to kill him.
- Achilles' Heel: Sebastian is immune to nearly everything, except for the Mortal Sword. However, only people from a world other than Thule can kill him.
- Dead Alternate Counterpart: Inverted. He survived beyond the point where Clary was supposed to kill him, as in the case in the main universe, until seven years later, when Emma finally finishes Clary's job.
- Hate Sink: Unlike the main universe's Sebastian, who redeems himself at the end, this Sebastian is never cured of his demon blood and is an unabashedly sadistic psychopath.
- Killed Off for Real: Courtesy of Emma.
- Matricide: He killed Lilith, who was considered to be his real mother.
- No Body Left Behind: For some reason, his body turns to ashes upon being killed. By contrast, the Sebastian of the main universe still left a body behind when he died.
- No-Sell: He is invincible against anyone and anything from Thule. When Thule Isabelle tried to kill him using the Mortal Sword, Sebastian shrugged it off before slaying her.
- The Starscream: Used Clary's death as justification to kill Lilith, therefore allowing him to take control of her demon children.
- Supernaturally Young Parent: Subverted. He is physically only several years older than Ash, but this is because Ash underwent Rapid Aging, while Sebastian grew up normally.
Jonathan Christopher "Janus" HerondaleSebastian's second-in-command. Previously known as Jace, he was corrupted by Lilith's mark seven years ago, which tied his soul with Sebastian's. However, unlike in the main universe, the seal was never broken, so Jace continued to become Sebastian's puppet and was forced to watch as his family, friends, and girlfriend Clary all perished during the Dark War.
After Sebastian's death, Jace's seal is broken. Sometime later, he and Ash enter the main universe and ally themselves with the Queen of the Seelie Court as he gathers information about the new world, taking the new name "Janus".
- And I Must Scream: It's been established that Jace is aware of everything that happens while he is under Lilith's spell that links him with Sebastian. This means that, for seven years, he is forced to watch as everything he loves and holds dear is taken away from him, including the one moment when Sebastian makes him brutally murder his adoptive mother.
- The Dragon: For Sebastian while in Thule.
- For Want of a Nail: Janus discovers that this trope applies to the seven years stemming from his having been kept under Sebastian's control on Thule, but not on Earth. His original plan was to Kill and Replace Earth's Jace so as to take up his life and be with Clary. But in spying on his family and friends he discovers that Alec is now Consul and married to Magnus, Simon is a Shadowhunter and Clary's parabatai, and everyone's lives and relationships (including Jace's) have developed in ways he never expected and has trouble understanding. This forces him to abandon his plan and come up with a new one (with far more catastrophic implications).
- Green-Eyed Monster: He is jealous at Jace for having everything he was robbed off in Thule, including his girlfriend, family, friends, fame, and happiness.
- Matricide: He is given orders to execute his adoptive mother, Maryse. One wonders how he reacts after he is broken from Lilith's spell, since he was aware of everything that transpired while he was under the trance.
- Meaningful Rename: Upon his entry into the main universe, he renames himself "Janus", after the Roman god of doorways.
- Murder Is the Best Solution: Seems to be his go-to solution for anything that might stand in the way of his goals. At one point he nearly murders Max at a playground with Alec and Magnus not that far away!
- Sanity Slippage: Apparently goes a bit mad after he is freed from Sebastian, as he is left to grieve all the people he lost throughout the years, including, most prominently, Clary.
- Yandere: In Forever Fallen, he is planning to kill Jace and everyone who stands on his way so he can have Clary for himself. And if it involves Ash dominating the main universe, so be it.
Emma Cordelia Carstairs
An Endarkened and a former Shadowhunter of the Los Angeles Institute.
- Dead Alternate Counterpart: Eventually, to the main universe's Emma.
- Despair Event Horizon: After her Julian is killed, Emma stops fighting with the rebels to mourn over him. She is still heard crying when the other Emma deals a fatal blow at Sebastian and puts an end to the Endarkened army.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: She screams in agony after her Julian is killed.
- Heroic Sacrifice: She and Julian sacrificed themselves to let the other Blackthorn siblings escape to Los Angeles, being turned into an Endarkened in the process.
- Killed Off for Real: After Sebastian is killed, she and the surviving Endarkened drop dead.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: She is very much lovey-dovey with the Julian of Thule, as they never became parabatai. Even the main universe's Emma is rather taken aback by how intimate they are.
Julian Atticus Blackthorn
An Endarkened and a former Shadowhunter of the Los Angeles Institute.
- Dead Alternate Counterpart: Eventually, to the main universe's Julian, who kills him.
- Eye Scream: The real Julian stabs his eye with a knife to rescue Livvy.
- Heroic Sacrifice: He and Emma sacrificed themselves to let the other Blackthorn siblings escape to Los Angeles, being turned into an Endarkened in the process.
- Killed Off for Real: He is killed during the battle at Angels Flight by his alternate counterpart.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: He is very much lovey-dovey with the Emma of Thule, as they never became parabatai.
An Endarkened and one of Sebastian's top enforcers.
An Endarkened Shadowhunter seen during the confrontation at the Angels Flight.
- Dead Alternate Counterpart: Inverted. Emma and Julian confront him several days after the latter killed the real Dane.
- In Spite of a Nail: Despite the Cohort never being established, Dane still ends up working for the bad guys, albeit this time as an Endarkened instead of a willing supporter.
- Killed Off for Real: He and the rest of the Endarkened drop dead after Sebastian is killed.
Theresa "Tessa" Herondale (née Gray)The last surviving warlock in the world, Tessa's whereabouts after the Dark War is unknown, but Emma and Julian manage to decipher a message that allow them to secretly meet her.
- Dead Alternate Counterpart: Eventually becomes one to the main universe's Tessa.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Sacrifices herself to distract the Legion to give Emma time to kill Sebastian.
- Jade-Colored Glasses: As Emma later notes upon reuniting with her Tessa, Thule Tessa spoke as if she had given up hope long ago.
- Killed Off for Real: Dies buying time for the Resistance to fight the Legion.
- Knight in Sour Armor: While the other Tessa is a positive person, this Tessa is weary and battle-hardened, having seen so many hardships in the seven years after the Dark War, and admits that she isn't sure whether the Legion will be able to be defeated. Despite this, she is willing to support Emma and Julian in their endeavor to take the Mortal Sword, seeing them as the best hope to liberate Thule from Sebastian.
- Last of His Kind: Thanks to her Shadowhunter blood, she managed to withstand the effects of the Blight, which killed off or transformed the rest of the warlocks.
- Man on Fire: She goes in a blaze of glory — literally, as she sets herself on fire to prevent the Endarkened from entering Silent City.