A 35 episode tokusatsu inspired anime produced in 1988 by Production REED that later spawned one sequel OVA in 1989, another sequel OVA in 1990 and another sequel in 1993 that takes place 28 years after the original Borgman
In the year 1999, four meteorites suddenly crashed in Tokyo and completely destroyed the city.
In the year of 2030, people built up a new city Megalo City beside the ruins of Tokyo. However, the evil squad led by Dr. Gilbert Mesh started to attack the new city. Memory Gene, the principal of the Cybersonic Institute had anticipated such attack beforehand and as such hires three young cyborg warriors; Ryo Hibiki, Chuck Sweager, and Anice Farm, protects the city using the Baltechtors and the Sonic System developed by Memory. This was the beginning of the Borgmen.
Should in no way be confused with the 2013 movie, Borgman, which is something entirely different.
Also has a character sheet that's a work in progress
The order of the series is as follows:
- Sonic Soldier Borgman (1988)
- The Borgman: LAST BATTLE (1989) - Takes place 3 years after the end of the TV series
- Sonic Soldier Borgman: LOVERS RAIN (1990) - Takes place directly after the TV series
- Sonic Soldier Borgman 2nd: New Century 2058 (1993) - Takes place 28 years after the original series
The following tropes seen in Borgman are:
- Alas, Poor Villain: Fellmina in episode 26 and Dust Gead/Reminisce Gene at the end of the series
- Art Evolution: You can see the evolution of Kia Asamiya's art style, the TV series and LAST BATTLE are pretty much on par with other shows from the 80's and LOVERS RAIN had some evolution in Asamiya's style as well, but by 2058, Asamiya's art style looks very much like how it did in the 90's, and the◊ illustrations◊ he◊ did◊ for◊ the◊ 2011◊ Blu-Ray release◊ look drastically different◊
- Bittersweet Ending: The ending of the TV series, the villains are dead and the world is at peace, but at the cost of Memory's life and Memory's death affects the Sonic Team well into the OVA's
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Miki in episode 24, Dust Gead/Reminisce Gene for most of the TV series and Eliza Minai in the 2058 OVA
- By the Power of Grayskull!: BORG GET ON!!!
- Cool Teacher: The Borgmen themselves
- Badass Teacher: Obviously
- Cyborg: The Borgmen themselves, they had to become cyborgs in order to wear the Baltechtors.
- Death by Origin Story: A bus crash killed all of Anice's students and she was the only survivor, this is what lead to Anice becoming a Borgman
- Distant Finale / "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue: Not in the series itself but in the Madnight★gigs! video
- "Do It Yourself" Theme Tune: Kōichi Yamadera sang the opening and ending themes for both the LOVER'S RAIN & LAST BATTLE OVA's, as well as the insert song "BORG GET ON!''
- Henshin Hero
- Killed Off for Real Memory at the end of the TV series, as well as all of the villains
- Official Couple: Ryo & Anice, as well as Chuck & Miki
- Powered Armor: The Baltechtors
- Replaced the Theme Tune: It'd be understandable if it was halfway through the series, but they waited until episode 28 to change the opening & ending, which pretty late into the series than usual seeing as the TV series had 8 episodes left by that point, Production REED also did this years earlier with Dancouga, which is kinda weird since REED never did this with their other shows
- Sentai: Pretty much
- Sentient Vehicle: Thunder is a sentient motorcycle
- Time Skip: The 2058 OVA
- Transformation Sequence: And pretty fuckin' awesome ones too
- 20 Minutes into the Future: Takes place in the year 2030, and the final entry in the series takes place in the year 2058