Okay, so I'm back here again after a long time. I was really having trouble with the finer details of the plot, although I can see the general direction of my story, so I decided to do something else for the time being.
So One Piece
gave me another idea: separate the subject masteries into different power categories that differ in function, selection range, and the actual powers of the abilities chosen.
had the Devil Fruits separated into 3 different types: Logia (allows user to be made of, control, and become a certain element), Paramecia (allows access to the widest range of abilities), and Zoan (can only transform into a different being, but serves as physical strength multipliers).
I do agree that the stakes are higher in OP because DFs rob the user of the ability to swim, in a world of seafaring pirates and marines. So I am currently thinking of something that could raise the stakes of my Superpower Lottery
. At the moment, the abilities in my story are fueled by the users' test scores. You can't use your powers if you run out of test points, so you're just as powerless as any other human being.
Anyways, back to the power classifications, I decided that the Accel World
color wheel was too restrictive, so I'm going to try the OP model and see how it goes.
- Type MP (Math and Physics) - The grand prize winners of the Superpower Lottery are those who excel in Math and Physics. As in Real Life, MP-types are rare, but there's no doubt that they have the most powerful abilities in the story. I classify the Emperor Chang Shen as a Type MP, due to his vector manipulation ability (yeah, it does remind us of a certain Accelerator, but I can assure you that this guy I have here is an honorable chap at best).
- Type NS (Natural Sciences) - The second best prize of the Superpower Lottery, which is reserved for those who excel in the natural sciences (Geology, Biology, Chemistry, etc.). Emperor Ayame and Edward are examples of NS-Type power users.
- Type SS (Social Sciences) - One of the three most common types of powers. They are the "Paramecia Devil Fruits" of the setting, due to the wide range of abilities it offers, since the Social Sciences covers the most aspects of Real Life (psychology, politics, economics, music and the arts, etc.). Indira, Guinevere, and Mizuki are examples of SS-type power users.
- Type VL (Verbal-Linguistic) - The second of the three most common power types, reserved for those who excel in written and oral language. It has a smaller range of abilities than SS but offers just about the same abilities it gives. The main indicator of a VL ability is that oral or written language is required to activate it, making it less practical than SS unless the power user improvises. Emperor William Robertson is an example of a VL power user. Emperor Hee-Shin Kang's ability to summon machines through programming codes resemble a VL ability, but is actually an MP ability since it deals with binary numbers.
- Type PF (Physical Fitness) - The last of the most common power types. PF-types gain increased physical strength as well as different forms of combat, usually based on their daily physical activity, making it best suitable for DanceBattlers and BareFistedMonks. Emperor Manny Barias is an example of a PF-type power user.