Webcomic: Ghosts of the Future
Ghosts of the Future
is a fan comic that is set 200 years after the deaths of Sonic
and his friends. Silver the Hedgehog is just an ordinary kid living in San Francisco and working at a fast food joint, until he starts having strange dreams. Then he meets the immortal Shadow, who is being guided by the ghost of Sonic, and learns that he must now retrieve the Chaos Emeralds. Along the way, he will have to help Sonic's ghost confront his horrible memories, help Shadow overcome his guilt, and help himself deal with his feelings for his best friend and coworker, Blaze...
The comics can all be found here
This fan comic provides examples of:
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: Nicole.
- Art Evolution: The first few pages are quite different in quality from the recent ones. Compare this early page with its remake.
- Bald of Evil: Eggman in issue 1.
- Big Bad: Nicole.
- But You Were There, and You, and You: Even more than the actual game during the Sonic and the Secret Rings arc.
- Call Back: Many references are made to Sonic's previous adventures in the game series, especially Sonic and the Secret Rings. Intentional, as Evan Stanley said it's her favorite game.
- The Cameo: Several characters from The Middle Ground, the webcomic site that hosts Ghosts, appear as background characters.
- The Chosen One: Silver
- The Comically Serious: Shadow, mostly.
- Cute Little Fangs: Many of the main characters are shown with these from time to time.
- Darker and Edgier: Than the official franchise, anyhow.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Silver's sister Venice is always seen barefoot. In the comic, she's only ever seen in her home or, later, a hospital bed, where it's not atypical, but her concept art and her profile note that she "likes to go barefoot" and that "[she] spends a lot of time outside, barefoot", respectively. In addition, Nicole also goes barefoot, as per the character's original design, while Tikal and Scourge lose the shoes from their original designs.
- Dreaming of Times Gone By: The intro, and a recurring dream for Silver in chapter 1.
- Face-Heel Turn: Nicole. Yes, the Archie Comics character is a villain in this series.
- Family Business: A character that looks similar to Big the Cat runs a Chinese restaurant and Blaze the Cat (who is his daughter in the comic) works there, with Silver being the only unrelated employee on their staff. Sliver claims icecream is his as well.
- Fog Feet: Sonic gets this occasionally, while the Djinn during the Secret Rings arc do this very, very often.
- Half-Dressed Cartoon Animal: Played with; Sonic and Silver are seen in their standard designs a couple of times, but almost everyone else in any other circumstance is fully clothed, with the exception of Shadow, who never wears a shirt (even when he's wearing a jacket). Sonic is also shown with increasing amounts of jewelry, which correlates with how many Chaos Emeralds he has found.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Eggman in issue 1, after the mind-control device he had on Shadow was destroyed.
- I Think You Broke Him: Silver's reaction after Amy's Secret Rings look-a-like shows up and Sonic faints.
- Killed Off for Real: This comic starts with at least Amy, Knuckles, and Tails being brutally murdered back in the past. In fact, one entire chapter is devoted to Sonic trying to come to terms with the guilt and sadness he still feels over Tails' death.
- And of course, Eggman himself, via an epic neck-snap from Shadow.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Would you believe a ghost werehog? Ok, it's not really a werehog, more like a "corrupted-manifestation-of-gaia-induced fluffy state", but whatever.
- Odd Couple: Shadow and Sonic's ghost.
- Psychic Powers: Silver gains these after he first runs into Sonic.
- Refusal of the Call: Silver, as of issue 8.
- Running Gag: Silver never seems to be allowed proper pants when attempting to retrieve a Chaos Emerald.
- Serious Business: Ice cream.
- Stuffed into the Fridge: Narrowly avoided with Vennie, though she's effectively crippled until Silver can obtain the next Emerald.
- Troubled Fetal Position: After he's made to kill several of the heroes at the start of the comic, the Chaotix find Shadow like this. He's still in it, muttering to himself when Rouge and Omega come to collect him.
- Unexpected Character: GIANT ZOMBIE SCOURGE!
- Walking Shirtless Scene: For some reason, Shadow doesn't wear shirts. Perhaps it's to contrast how Sonic "doesn't like pants".
- Weirdness Magnet: Unfortunately for Silver, his life was turned pear-shaped the moment he met Sonic and Shadow for the first time.