Webcomic / Ghosts of the Future
Ghosts of the Future
is a fan comic that is set 200 years after the deaths of Sonic
and his friends. Silver the Hedgehog is just an ordinary kid living in San Francisco and working at a fast food joint, until he starts having strange dreams. Then he meets the immortal Shadow, who is being guided by the ghost of Sonic, and learns that he must now retrieve the Chaos Emeralds. Along the way, he will have to help Sonic's ghost confront his horrible memories, help Shadow overcome his guilt, and help himself deal with his feelings for his best friend and coworker, Blaze...
The comics can all be found here
Now has a character page
that Needs Wiki Magic Love
This fan comic provides examples of:
- Adaptational Villainy: This reality's version of Nicole is a terrifyingly callous being that Dr. Robotnik used to destroy Sonic and his allies.
- Adaptation Origin Connection: It's hinted that Blaze and her father are descendants of Big the Cat in this continuity. Also, Nicole was created by Gerald Robotnik alongside Shadow and may have been indirectly responsible for Maria's death.
- Affably Evil: Nicole is callous, ruthless, and does horrific things... but she's also unfailingly polite, cheerful, and friendly with everyone, even her enemies.
- The Ageless: Shadow's aging has totally stopped thanks to Nicole's nanites.
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: Nicole.
- All There in the Manual: There's a lot of setting and lore info on the artist's tumblr, like the origins of the Hybrids (the equivalent to Mobians in this setting).
- Alternate Self: Occassionally pops up.
- Anyone Can Die: Holy Hell yes. The comic starts with Tails and Knuckles dead and keeps going from there.
- Art Evolution: The first few pages are quite different in quality from the recent ones. Compare this early page with its remake.
- Astral Projection: Vinnie gains the ability to do this.
- The Atoner: Shadow, though the crime he’s trying to atone for wasn’t really his fault. Metal Sonic also becomes one after being freed from the Big Bad’s control.
- Bald of Evil: Eggman in issue 1.
- Barrier Warrior: Vennie has the power to create forcefields so powerful that one severs Scourge's connection it his "Boss". Silver's own powers are able to supplement them.
- Beneath the Mask: Sonic keeps up his usual cheerful persona for the most part, but too much reminding of the people he's lost reveals that he's not handling his grief nearly as well as he claims.
- Berserk Button: Threaten the people Sonic cares about, even slightly, and he loses it. Given how many friends he's already lost, this is pretty understandable.
- Metal Sonic also seems to really set Sonic off, to the point that he outright tries to kill Metal when they fight at the hospital.
- The mere sight of Badniks is another one for Sonic.
- Big Bad: Nicole.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Antique, Tikal's counterpart on Moebius, seems as kindhearted as her main universe self, but is really a ruthless Knight Templar whose willing to doing anything to fight Scourge's "boss".
- Blessed with Suck: Scourge was turned into a powerful, immortal spirit by his mysterious "Boss", but at the price of being forever bound to said Boss as a servant and having to watch as it destroyed Moebius.
- Blood Knight: Omega, just like his canon self. He openly admits to hoping a plan will go wrong so he can fight some mooks.
- Sonic of all people becomes one whenever Badniks show up. At one point Tikal has to actually force him to stop attacking after he gets a little too excited in a battle; Sonic doesn’t even realize what he’s doing until she snaps him out of it.
- Body Horror: The weaker Scourge is, the more decayed and damaged his spirit looks. When he first appears he's practically a skeleton, and he only gets his more familiar appearance after getting a power boost.
- Breather Episode: After an intense string of Wham Episodes, issue 16 is a quiet, introspective story about the heroes remembering the people they've lost and reflecting on all that's happened.
- But You Were There, and You, and You: Even more than the actual game during the Sonic and the Secret Rings arc.
- Call-Back: Many references are made to Sonic's previous adventures in the game series, especially Sonic and the Secret Rings. Intentional, as Evan Stanley said it's her favorite game.
- The Cameo: Several characters from The Middle Ground, the webcomic site that hosts Ghosts, appear as background characters.
- The Chosen One: Sonic and Tikal believe Silver is this, though Silver himself has his doubts.
- Cool Old Guy: Blaze's dad is a Reasonable Authority Figure and Boisterous Bruiser who gives Silver and Blaze both a lot of good advice. He's also a member of the New Chaotix.
- The Comically Serious: Shadow, mostly.
- Continuity Cavalcade: The headquarters of the New Chaotix is littered with numerous items, gadgets, and robots from past Sonic games.
- Cute and Psycho: Nicole.
- Cute Little Fangs: Many of the main characters are shown with these from time to time.
- Darker and Edgier: Than the official franchise, anyhow.
- Deal with the Devil: Scourge agreed to help his "boss" find purchase in Moebius in exchange for immortality. He quickly regretted it, given that he's now bound in service to said "boss" and had to watch as Moebius and everyone on it was destroyed.
- Distant Prologue: The story opens with Sonic losing against Eggman and becoming a spirit, then skips ahead 200 years to the present day.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Silver's sister Venice is always seen barefoot. In the comic, she's only ever seen in her home or, later, a hospital bed, where it's not atypical, but her concept art and her profile note that she "likes to go barefoot" and that "[she] spends a lot of time outside, barefoot", respectively. In addition, Nicole also goes barefoot, as per the character's original design, while Tikal and Scourge lose the shoes from their original designs.
- Dreaming of Times Gone By: The intro, and a recurring dream for Silver in chapter 1.
- Dying Moment of Awesome: Scourge and Antique use a ton of Anarchy Beryl to attain their super forms, then fling themselves at Scourge's Eldritch Abomination boss to buy time for the heroes to escape Moebius. They're not shown dying, but it's all but explicitly stated they won't survive.
- Eldritch Abomination: Scourge's "boss" is a massive being made of shadows that destroyed Moebius and is trying to reach the Prime Zone to destroy it to. Anything it touches is turned to stone and it takes two people in super form to fight it off even temporarily.
- Eldritch Location: All the Special Zones are depicted as utterly bizarre and alien. Moebius has also become one, thanks to Scourge's Eldritch Abomination master.
- Epic Flail: Blaze’s dad wields a mace-and-chain attached to a fishing rod, implied to have been inherited from Big the Cat.
- The End of the World as We Know It: What will happen if the Chaos Emeralds aren't returned to the mortal realm. Specifically, the whole universe will basically break and stop working.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Scourge genuinely loved Fiona Fox and is wracked with remorse over the fact that she and everyone else on Moebius is dead because of him.
- Even Evil Has Standards:
- Metal Sonic insists that he would never willingly hurt Vennie and indeed, he only attacked her because Nicole forced him to. Though it's not clear if he's always held such standards or is just now developing them...
- Scourge also draws the line at outright hurting Vennie, though he is willing to hold her hostage to dissuade Sonic and company from attacking him.
- Eye Colour Change: Happens sometimes. Specifically when Sonic briefly takes over Silver's body to save him and with Metal Sonic... for some reason.
- Face–Heel Turn: The entire GUN organization has been corrupted into a tyrannical Secret Police by Nicole after she infiltrated and took control of them.
- Family Business: A character that looks similar to Big the Cat runs a Chinese restaurant and Blaze the Cat (who is his daughter in the comic) works there, with Silver being the only unrelated employee on their staff. Sliver claims icecream is his as well.
- Fog Feet: Sonic gets this occasionally, while the Djinn during the Secret Rings arc do this very, very often.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: Metal Sonic for the heroes. With the exception of Sicily, none of them like or trust him since he's been a villain for most of his life and crippled Vennie while under Nicole's control.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Silver’s older sister Sicily is an aspiring engineer with a talent for repairs. Which backfires horribly when she repairs an abandoned robot that turns out to be Metal Sonic.
- It seems she got it from her father, who’s also pretty skilled with machines and pilots Big Foot mech he restored into battle.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: There are some people you don't want to upset. Such as Sonic...
- Government Conspiracy: Nicole has infiltrated and taken over GUN, which now serves her sinister designs rather than helping people.
- Greater-Scope Villain: Nicole may be the Big Bad, but Scourge's Eldritch Abomination of a boss completely outclasses her.
- Half-Dressed Cartoon Animal: Played with; Sonic and Silver are seen in their standard designs a couple of times, but almost everyone else in any other circumstance is fully clothed, with the exception of Shadow, who never wears a shirt (even when he's wearing a jacket). Sonic is also shown with increasing amounts of jewelry, which correlates with how many Chaos Emeralds he has found.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: Metal Sonic gets his lower waist smashed off by Silver's mom in Werehog form. Being a robot, he's more or less unharmed by it, but the team forbids Sicily from repairing him since they don't trust him.
- Heel–Face Turn: Scourge pulls one. Metal Sonic is trying to do one, but most of the heroes except Sicily are not receptive to the idea.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Scourge and Antique stay behind on Moebius to try and fight off Scourge's "boss", allowing the heroes to escape.
- Hero of Another Story: The Fleetway Sonic and Omni-Viewer show up during one of the expeditions into the Special Zone, having their own adventure while our heroes search for a Chaos Emerald.
- Hidden Depths: Vennie quickly realizes that Scourge's tough guy act is an increasingly feeble facade. He's really filled with grief and remorse over having accidentally caused the destruction of Moebius and everyone on it.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Eggman in issue 1, after the mind-control device he had on Shadow was destroyed.
- Humanity Is Infectious: Not humanity, but the same basic principle; being powered up by Sonic’s spirit has the unexpected side effect of granting Metal Sonic self-awareness and morality.
- Humongous Mecha: Silver’s dad pilots a Big Foot mech at one point.
- Hypocrite: Blaze gets extremely angry upon learning how many secrets Silver has been keeping from her, despite being a member of the New Chaotix and keeping just as many secrets from him. Silver calls her out on this and she admits that he's right. They both agree to never keep secrets from each other again.
- I Think You Broke Him: Silver's reaction after Amy's Secret Rings look-a-like shows up and Sonic faints.
- The Last DJ: Rouge and Omega effectively become this for GUN, after Nicole takes it over.
- The Lost Lenore: Amy for Sonic, though he’s begun to move on from it. Rouge for Shadow.
- Kick the Dog: Nicole makes Metal Sonic savagely attack and cripple Vennie, simply to silence a witness.
- Killed Off for Real: Amy, Knuckles, and Tails are dead before the comic even starts. Eggman dies shortly after via a neck-snap from Shadow. Rouge and Omega are eventually revealed to have died on Moebius at some point. Scourge and Antique aren't explicitly shown dying, but the ending of issue 15 pretty much assures they do.
- The Magic Goes Away: After the Chaos Emeralds were sent away from Earth, the number of Hybrids born with special abilities dropped to almost nothing (Silver Blaze and Vennie were likely because their parents ran around collecting ancient artifacts and the like), and if they aren't brought back, the universe will essentially grind to a screeching halt.
- Mercy Kill: Shadow's Arabian Nights counterpart is forced to do this to Blaze's counterpart, much to Silver's horror. Sonic tries to reassure him by pointing out the "Arabian Nights" world is basically fake, but Silver isn't entirely convinced.
- Missing Mom: Blaze's father is a major character, but her mother is nowhere to be seen. Blaze eventually reveals that she's dead; she died trying to help Blaze during a Super-Power Meltdown.
- Morality Pet: Sicily for Metal Sonic. Vennie for Scourge.
- Motor Mouth: Vennie talks non-stop. She stops doing it as much after being crippled, much to Silver's distress.
- The Multiverse: The Special Zone permits travel between realities in the Multiverse. The characters travel to Moebius and later encounter the Fleetway version of Sonic.
- Mythology Gag: After his Heel–Face Turn, Metal Sonic’s eyes change from red to green, mirroring a similar color change Shard the Metal went through in the Archie comics.
- Fleetway Sonic and the Omni-Viewer use British accents and slang, alluding to the fact that they originate from a British comic.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Sicily discovers and repairs a damaged Metal Sonic, mistakenly thinking he's just a normal, harmless robot. Nicole proceeds to take remote control of him and cripple Vennie before sending Metal after Silver.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain!: If Nicole hadn't tried to use Sonic as a power source for Metal Sonic, Metal likely wouldn't have been capable of his Heel–Face Turn, let alone willing to do it.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Would you believe a ghost werehog? Ok, it's not really a werehog, more like a "corrupted-manifestation-of-gaia-induced fluffy state", but whatever.
- No-Sell: Nicole’s mind controlling nanites can be no-selled if a spirit is already possessing the victim, as discovered when Sonic stopped her from controlling Shadow by doing just that.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: Generally speaking, if Sonic isn’t acting obnoxiously upbeat, something is very wrong. Same goes for Vennie.
- Nicole’s Affably Evil demeanor has broken exactly once; when Shadow managed to No-Sell her mind control attempt.
- Odd Couple: Shadow and Sonic's ghost.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Silver’s younger sister is named Venice, but the rest of the cast almost exclusively calls her “Vennie”.
- Our Werebeasts Are Different: Sonic’s werehog form makes a brief appearance. Silver’s mom is able to turn into a werehog at will thanks to a mysterious artifact she found years ago.
- Power Incontinence: When she was young, Blaze had zero control of her powers and they would flare up whenever she got too emotional. Her mother died in one of the fires she inadvertently started.
- Powered by a Forsaken Child: Nicole briefly uses Sonic's spirit as a makeshift power source for Metal Sonic, which has the unintended effect of giving Metal Sonic a conscience.
- Psychic Powers: Silver gains these after his first run in with Sonic. Note that he already had the powers, the contact with Sonic just jump-started them.
- Refusal of the Call: Silver tries this in issue 8. Unfortunately, The Call Knows Where You Live thanks to Sicily unwittingly repairing Metal Sonic.
- Released to Elsewhere: In a flashback, Nicole claims that the Commander of GUN has been "let go". It's very clear what she actually means by that.
- The Remnant: After Sonic and his friends died, the few heroes left (Rouge, Omega, the Chaotix, and Big) formed the New Chaotix, a group of freedom fighters secretly battling Nicole and GUN. Silver's parents, Blaze, and her dad are all members of it.
- Running Gag: Silver never seems to be allowed proper pants when attempting to retrieve a Chaos Emerald.
- Secret Police: GUN has become this for Nicole.
- Self-Made Orphan: Blaze accidentally killed her mother when she was four, due to a bout of Power Incontinence. Her father didn't blame her, but Blaze certainly blames herself.
- Serious Business: Ice cream.
- Ship Tease: Silver with Blaze, and Sonic with Tikal.
- Stuffed into the Fridge: Narrowly avoided with Vennie, though she's effectively crippled until Silver can obtain the next Emerald so Tikal can heal her.
- Stylistic Suck: Fleetway Sonic and the Omni-Viewer speak in a slightly stilted, exposition-heavy style similar to the one in their native comic.
- Super Prototype: Silver to the rest of the Hybrids (the comic's Mobian equivalent), who were originally created by artificially inseminating human egg cells with sperm altered genetically and affected by Chaos energy, because the process that made Shadow wasn't practical for mass-production.
- Symbiotic Possession: Sonic’s spirit form has the power to do this, which comes in handy for countering Nicole’s nanites.
- Taken for Granite: Anyone that gets touched by the Eldritch Abomination that destroyed Moebius has this happen to them. Rouge and Omega died this way at some point in the past.
- Token Evil Teammate: The heroes see Metal Sonic as this, even though he's genuinely trying to be a good guy now.
- Tomato in the Mirror: Maybe. Nicole speculates that Sonic may actually just be a magical copy of the real Sonic. There are hints that she may be right...
- Took a Level in Kindness: Metal Sonic, after he's freed from Nicole's control.
- Troubled Fetal Position: After he's made to kill several of the heroes at the start of the comic, the Chaotix find Shadow like this. He's still in it, shivering and muttering to himself when Rouge and Omega come to collect him.
- Unknown Rival: Scourge to Sonic, due to the fact that Sonic has never encountered him before in this universe. Scourge meant to reach the Prime Zone, but ended up in this one by mistake.
- Villain Team-Up: Nicole and Scourge decide to team up to take down Sonic.
- Villainous Friendship: Downplayed as they aren't especially close and don't spend much time together, but Scourge and Nicole get along pretty well due to having similar interests (i.e. killing Sonic).
- Walking Shirtless Scene: For some reason, Shadow doesn't wear shirts. Perhaps it's to contrast how Sonic "doesn't like pants".
- Weirdness Magnet: Unfortunately for Silver, his life was turned pear-shaped the moment he met Sonic and Shadow for the first time.
- Wham Line: Silver discovers a... startling secret.
Silver's Mom: *referring to herself, her husband, and Blaze's dad* We are the New Chaotix... Secret agents dedicated to preserving the legacy of Sonic the Hedgehog... *turns into werewolf thing* ...and bringing G.U.N. down! We know you're Nicole's puppets! So BRING IT ON!!!
Silver and Sonic: O_O