Video Game: Under Night In-Birth
Under Night In-Birth
is a HD 2D Fighting Game
made by French Bread, the makers of Melty Blood
, originally released on September 20, 2012 in arcades. It later received an update under the title Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late
on September 9th 2013, which rebalanced the roster, updated graphics, and added several new characters such as Chaos and Akatsuki
. A PS3
port was released on July 24, 2014, and will be localized in 2015
The game is shaping up to be the Spiritual Successor
of the Melty Blood
series, in the same vein of BlazBlue
to Guilty Gear
, and features Sion Eltnam Atlasia as a guest character under the name "Eltnum".
The roster includes so far:
- Hyde: The Hero of the series. Wields a long sword with the power to end the existence of whatever it cuts.
- Linne: Cute Bruiser who wields a knife and a long sword and seeks to end her immortality.
- Waldstein: Hulking white Anime Haired giant who wields giant Dr. Octopus-like tentacles as glove extensions, he is the resident grappler. While he looks evil, in truth he's one of the good guys.
- Carmine: Ax-Crazy dude who fights by manipulating his own blood.
- Orie: Blue-haired Lady of War fighting with a rapier and a Stand-like entity.
- Gordeau: A stylish man in dark purple coat, able to summon a huge scythe out of whim.
- Merkava: An... alien-like creature bearing resemblance to Angels of Evangelion. While he retains his human consciousness, his inability to generate the game's version of mana means he has to eat people to restore his own supply.
- Vatista: Token Mini-Moe, floats and fights people with magic
- Seth: Cold, brooding young assassin who fights like a ninja and wields two daggers with abilities opposite to Hyde's sword.
- Yuzuriha: Busty, boisterous oriental lady who fights with a long-ass katana.
- Hilda: Winged Humanoid, possibly the Big Bad
- Eltnum: Guest Fighter from "a certain town".
- Chaos: An unknown Beast Master, happens to have a relation to both Hilda and Gordeau.
- Akatsuki: Guest Fighter, whom is also a long way from home
The console version boasts a few new exclusive characters:
- Nanase: A young schoolgirl who is pursuing Hyde for unknown reasons, wielding a broad sword and the power of wind.
- Byakuya: An enigmatic young man with Crossdressing Voice and controls multiple floating swords as his weapon.
1st Clause. DIVIDE.
- Always Night
- Badass Longcoat: Gordeau's purple duster, and Seth's black trenchcoat.
- BFS: Yuzuriha's katana is REALLY long. Likewise, Gordeau's scythe is massive.
- Big Bad: Hilda.
- Bishounen: Hyde and Seth.
- Blood Knight: Carmine
- Bloody Murder: Carmine is shown to fight by using his own blood.
- Cast from Hit Points Carmine is also shown to use attacks that drain from his HP, he can heal via a grab.
- Casting a Shadow: Both Hyde and Seth. Gordeau also has a few darkness-like attacks
- Coat Cape: Yuzuriha.
- Combo Breaker: Veil Off. Somewhat subverted in that it's not usable while getting hit, unlike other fighting games with combo breakers.
- Comeback Mechanic: Inverted. Grind Vorpal gives whoever's got the better offense a 10% damage boost once every 15 seconds and can sacrifice this buff for a BlazBlue-like Lag Cancel, sometimes leading to an Unstable Equilibrium.
- Cool Sword: Hyde has this.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Despite his appearance, attitude, and job as an Assassin, Seth is the game's Anti-Hero.
- Eldritch Abomination: Voids can drive people who can see them insane, causing them to become Voids as well. Those who can see the and maintain their mental stability become super-powered In-Births.
- Expy: Hyde has the hair-style of Ragna the Bloodedge, the fighting stance of Yu Narukami, and his sword general fighting style brings to mind Ichigo Kurosaki.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Seth and Hilda.
- Genki Girl: Yuzuriha, if the music notes that come out of her sprite during battle are any indication.
- Gratuitous English: Just like its predecessor, if not worse.
- Gordeau is, aside from the name and menus, the most notable example. GURIIMU REEPAAH! MORTARU SURAIDO!
- "FIRST CLAUSE! DIVIDE!"
- "DOWN! DEPLETION OF EXS!"
- "BREAKDOWN! VANISHMENT OF VOID!"
- Hyde goes for Punctuated! For! Emphasis! when doing his Vacant Shift special move: "FIRST! SECOND! THIRD!"
- Orie follows Hyde combined with Calling Your Attacks for her super named "REST! IN! PEACE!"
- Guest Fighter: Melty Blood's Sion Eltnam Atlasia? Technically, Eltnum is (more or less) Sion Eltnam Atlasia in an Alternate Universe. She is subject to the same events as in Melty Blood, with most of Sion Eltnam Atlasia's back-story (and a massive design change). It should be noted that Eltnum is said to be intruding on the events of UNiB.
- Because of her existence, there are a few things from Eltnum that pay Homage to her ten years as a combatant in MelBlo...
- Well, he is here... so you can't just summon the Blitz motor user without some references to his struggle.
- Humanoid Abomination: Merkava. Most of the other Void probably qualify as well.
- Iaijutsu Practitioner: Yuzuriha. With a BFS no less.
- Katanas Are Just Better: Yuzuriha's got one nice katana. Hyde's sword is also a katana.
- Knife Nut: Seth
- Lady of War: Orie is pretty much checking every list of requirements of this trope. Yuzuriha's fighting style is also pretty graceful, but she's more energetic than most examples.
- Mighty Glacier: Waldstein
- Multi Coloured Hair: Both Hyde and Seth. Hyde's is black and blond, while Seth's is black and white.
- Light 'em Up: Orie
- Name's the Same: Do not confuse Vatista with Batista
- Noblewoman's Laugh: Hilda, of course.
- One-Handed Zweihänder: How Gordeau wields his Sinister Scythe.