Characters: Under Night In-Birth
These are some of the characters from Under Night In-Birth
and tropes that are associated with them.
This page is currently under construction. Any contributions would be appreciated.
open/close all folders
A high school student who was attacked by a Void but was saved by Linne. Having awakened as an In-Birth as a result, he cooperates with Linne, preparing for when the Under Night comes again. Also known as Unknown Actor by Licht Kreis and Orie's friend.
- Alternate Character Reading: A Kinoko Nasu tradition: Hyde's moves are written in kanji with katakana in the place of hiragana particles, and they have different furigana-styled transliterations that may or may not translate exactly to their kanji readings. For example, his Black Orbiter move's kanji reading is "Enkan no Kyouka" (Wicked Vortex of the Torus).
- Casting a Shadow: His main power with his red sword.
- Cool Sword: Wields a red sword known as the Insulator, or literally the Danretsu no Menzaifu (Indulgence of Snapping).
- Fighting Your Friend: The first round of his arcade story has Orie, his friend in his normal life, as his opponent.
- Hair Antennae
- Having a Blast: His Dark Lotus AKA Shin’en ni Saku Kokuren (Black Lotus Blooming in the Abyss). The ground version involves him blowing up a Black Orbiter already in flight, while the midair version does it without any prerequisite at all other than being in the air.
- Hellish Pupils: Look close; he's got cat-slits.
- Hot-Blooded: He's pretty explosive and loud while fighting.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: A mild form since he adapted to his powers pretty fast and will still jump into action at first notice for Linne, even when told to stay away.
- I Owe You My Life: Due to the life-saving, he's very protective of Linne.
- Jack of All Stats/Shotoclone: As per usual, and thus meaning many professional players will really have to play at their best to use him well. But like several examples with the latter trope, Hyde has his own unique touches/moves to help differentiate from other shotos out there.
- Launcher Move: Has one with his 3C command normal.
- Multicolored Hair: Blond at the front, black at the back.
- Ordinary High-School Student
- Real Name as an Alias: He's refered as "Kido-kun" by Orie (Kido is considered his surname usually) as he still uses his real(?) name aside from his alliance with Linne.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Though he's the main protagonist, and is most likely more heroic as he comes and goes.
- Reverse Grip: Uses it in his 3B, 3C, Black Orbiter, Vacant Shift first input and Shadow Scare.
- Scratch Damage: Hyde's somewhat supposed specialty, as unlike most powers of darkness in previous fighting games, all of Hyde's sword-based normals can inflict chip damage, even more than his special moves if possible.
- Shoryuken: His Red-Clad Craver AKA Kou Matoishi Yami no Tsubasa (Crimson-Clad Wing of Darkness), and his aforementioned Vacant Shift AKA Kokuu wo Buntsu Dansou (Fault Dividing the Empty Air) being a reverse-grip version of it.
- His Pale Bringer AKA Kashouseshi Shoukou no Setsu (Wedge of Sick Crimson Calling the Calamity) involves a different kind of move from his Craver via different visuals and with it being an overall different move.
- Storybreaker Power: His powers allow him the ability to kill immortals.
- Sword Plant: His Infinite Worth, Gyre Vortex AKA Shuuen he Sasou Rasen no Ori (Spiral Cage Alluring to the Demise), which causes a tornado of darkness to erupt around himself. This is a straight example.
- Also has a Reverse Grip version of it with his Shadow Scare AKA Chi wo Ugatsu Kage (Earth-Piercing Shadow).
The princess of the Yato clan, who saved Hyde when he was attacked by a Void.
A member of the Yato clan who serves and protects Linne.
An In-Birth who manipulates blood as a weapon. Not affiliated with any organization, he attacks other ability users to show off his power.
- Ax-Crazy: He's got one hell of a bloodthirsty streak. Slightly subverted in that he can be calmed down enough not to deal the finishing blow.
- Blood Knight: One which actually uses his own blood as a weapon.
- Bloody Murder: His ability.
- Cast from Hit Points: Any specials that creates a pool of blood will cost him health, with most of them being projectiles and long range attacks. However, his EX moves, Infinite Worth and Infinite Worth EXS are exempt from this at least.
- Confusion Fu: Carmine focuses on powerful zoning, while being able to shift to duking it out with the opponent up close for extra confusion to prevent punishment. He can also use his throws to recovery his own health in order to have more spare HP for his blood-based moves.
- Difficult but Awesome: Learn to manage his health-cost mechanic, and a skilled Carmine player can easily dictate the match with his powerful zoning potential, and decent close-quarters combat. It can also be a challenge to score a perfect win with him as well.
- Laughing Mad: His Infinite Worth, where the move's name is even him just laughing mad.
- Life Drain: To offset his Cast from Hit Points, his normal throws and command throw are able to drain health from the opponent upon connecting.
- Red and Black and Evil All Over
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Not the usual examples since he has red sclera.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Actually has white hair, which can be seen during his battle intro before the red takes over.
The Fifth Executor of Licht Kreis, an organization specialized in Void extermination. She lost her parents at a young age to a Void and fights to ensure no one else has to suffer the same loss. She's Hyde's friend outside her life as an executor.
- Action Girl
- Badass: Though being the fifth executor, Hilda acknowledges her strength as a Licht Kreis member.
- Blade Spam: Has rapid stabbing attacks in the form of her dashing C and Sacred Spire.
- Combat Stilettos: Her heels are a whopping 15 centimeters.
- Curtains Match the Window: Her hair is blue, her eyes are blue and her attire is blue, anyone?
- Expy: Could be seen as one for Ciel, being the blue-haired 'sempai' of the hero (Hyde) whose battle style is a Lady of War with a 'helper' entity and works secretly as a secret agent for a devil-exterminator organization.
- Gratuitous English: Her finishing move is literally called and spelled "REST IN PEACE".
- Guardian Entity: Has one which she can call in battle.
- Fighting Your Friend: The first round of her arcade story has Hyde, her friend in her normal life, as her opponent.
- Hair Antennae
- Lady of War
- Light Is Good
- Lightning Bruiser: Has a healthy HP amount with a very well-rounded moveset, but she's actually lacking more on the raw damage part, relying more on combos to rack up most of it.
- Light 'em Up: A number of her attacks, such as those with her Guardian Entity and her Finishing Move, are light-based.
- Kick Chick
- Knight Templar: Might possibly be one as Waldstein has betrayed them due to chivalry from Linne's brother Kuon.
- Parental Abandonment: Merkava killed her parents when she was a child.
- Puppet Fighter: From there, she's able to have a ton of disjointed frame-trap pokes at her disposal if on the offensive. But unlike most of them, Orie is lacking in the "sandwich combo" department.
- Real Name as an Alias: She's referred as "Harada-san" by Hyde, as she hid her relationship with Licht Kreis from her normal life.
- Shockwave Sword Plant: Her Infinite Worth, Luminous Embrace, involves her sword-planting her rapier on the ground to call her Guardian Entity to send forward a forward shockwave.
- Shoryuken: Her Sacred Arrow move, which is a rapier-lifting uppercut into the air. Has no true projectile to make her a real shotoclone however.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
A mercenary and an old friend of Hilda, who wishes to put a stop to her plan.
A creature bearing a resemblance to a Void and driven by hunger.
An ancient humanoid weapon, known as an Autonomic Nerve, awoken by the recent increase in In-Birth and EXS.
An assassin associated with the Yato clan who seeks Linne.
A sword-wielding girl whose family once served as the guardians of the land.
Voiced by: Hatsumi Takada
Also known as Paradox, the leader of the organization Amnesia. She seeks to become a Re-Birth, an existence surpassing that of an In-Birth.
An associate of Gordeau and a high-ranking member of Amnesia, playable as of Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late
- Attack Reflector: His Code Reflect command normal works like one, where it'll grow larger for each projectile it absorbs.
- Badass Bookworm: Even though his beast does most of the fighting for him.
- The Beastmaster: He summons a reptilian creature named Azhi Dahaka to fight alongside him.
- Breath Weapon: One of Azhi Dahaka's moves (and thus is one of Chaos' special moves) and Chaos' only projectile attack next to his Code Reflect command normal.
- Delinquent: His backstory says he used to be one, being a bit of a brute-force fighter before relying more on intellect.
- Difficult but Awesome: A very notable example. Chaos lacks notable defensive tools such as reversals and even quick-to-use anti-air attacks other than solid pokes, along with attacks that are easily punished and over-reliance on Azhi Dahaka. However, should he be mastered, Chaos along with Azhi can easily pummel his opponent from around anywhere at anytime with solid space control, as Chaos is the only Puppet Fighter who can easily apply the sandwich combo-type of offense.
- I Know Karate: A lot of his physical attacks involve pretty precise chops.
- Light 'em Up: Has a ton of light-based moves in a majority of his attacks, even if in minor traces.
- Puppet Fighter: He can summon his creature and use it as his main tool to help him in fighting. In some ways it's the only tool he has, since all of his special moves involve it. But compared to Orie, he's the only character who can apply any and notably potent sandwich combos.
- The Rival: Apparently, to Gordeau. It's to the point that they have the first rivalry-specific music in the game.
- Spell Book: Holds one of these in battle.
- Throwing Your Book Always Works: His Code Reflect has him magically sending his book forward with a light rune accompanying it.
- Unnecessary Combat Roll: Has one as his Force Function, which not only can dodge attacks, but can easily cross-up his opponent during sandwich combos or get him out of tight spots into a nifty position of a reversal in the hands of a skilled player.
Originally from Melty Blood
Voiced by Shinobu Matsumoto
Originally from Akatsuki Blitzkampf
- Badass Longcoat: Takes off a black cape at the start of each fight. Is seen wearing it again in his Story Mode's ending.
- Big Eater: He gets hungry very fast after wielding his powers.
- Close Range Combatant: Which is the main discrepancy between Akatsuki Blitzkampf and this game is that Akatsuki is far outranged by just about anybody.
- The Determinator: Intends to finish his last order above all else as well as finding the Blitz Motors.
- Expy: His fighting style can be considered a mix of Ryu and Kyo, beating Hyde out as the most traditional Shoto in the game.
- Female Gaze - Heroic Build: Compared to Blitzkampf's simpler sprites, Akatsuki look posively ripped.
- Irony: He's a German soldier who speaks in an old Japanese Dialect and enjoys classic Japanese Culture.
- Limit Break: His Infinite Worth EXS: Ouka Kai (Cherry Blossom Revision), a move original to this game.
- Pretty Boy: Just look at his portrait!
- Rapid-Fire Fisticuffs: His super move: Divine Wind.
- Shoto Clone: The basic idea of his moveset.
- Shock and Awe: The powers of the Tactical Volt Robe.
- The Stoic: Is said to be a calm man.
- Vocal Dissonance: For such a Pretty Boy, Akatsuki has a rather deep voice...
A middle school student that is chasing Hyde for unknown reasons. Turns out she thinks he's a pervert, and she wants revenge, but is that really the case?
- Blow You Away
- BFS: Her sword, Zephyr.
- Dramatic Wind: Even when she's standing idle, wind blows on her Girlish Pigtails.
- Gratuitous French: All of her moves, including her named-Force Function (one of the few FF's to be actually named) are written in a combination of both French and Japanese.
- In a Single Bound: Her Force Function, Soyokaze no Riberete (Liberté/Liberty of the Gentle Breeze), which causes her to fly high into the air for some aerial gimmicks. Can also be done in midair like a Double Jump, but not from the grounded version of the Force Function.
- Launcher Move: Her 3C, much like Hyde's. Only she handstand-kicks her opponent upward. Also has a ton of these with her other moves.
- Nice Shoes: Her small boots even have little wings on them.
- One-Handed Zweihänder: Occasionally wields her sword like so for some moves, but other than that, she normally wields it two-handed.
- Power Palms: Her Infinite Worth, Atomosufia no Tenkuu (Atmosphère/Atmosphere/Amibence of the Aether), involves her uppercut-slashing Shoryuken-style her opponent into the sky, then generating a wind-ball on her free palm to grind into them not unlike Naruto's Rasengan.
- Shoryuken: Her midair 8C, Tamani wa Ra Aruto (La Halte/The Stop/The Halt Once in a While), Anju no Sasoi (Ange's/Angel's Invitation) and Kaze ni Mau Purumaaju (Plumage/Feathers Dancing in the Wind).
- Tsundere: Acts a lot one like so.
- Windis Green
A mysterious young man who wears a black school uniform.