Characters: Under Night In-Birth
These are some of the characters from Under Night In-Birth and tropes that are associated with them.This page is currently under construction. Any contributions would be appreciated.
open/close all folders
Voiced by: Ryohei KimuraA high school student who was attacked by a Void but was saved by Linne. Having awakened as an In-Birth as a result, he cooperates with Linne, preparing for when the Under Night comes again. Also known as Unknown Actor by Licht Kreis and Orie's friend.
- Alternate Character Reading: A Kinoko Nasu tradition: Hyde's moves are written in kanji with katakana in the place of hiragana particles, and they have different furigana-styled transliterations that may or may not translate exactly to their kanji readings. For example, his Black Orbiter move's kanji reading is "Enkan no Kyouka" (Wicked Vortex of the Torus).
- Casting a Shadow: His main power with his red sword.
- Cool Sword: Wields a red sword known as the Insulator, or literally the Danretsu no Menzaifu (Indulgence of Snapping).
- Fighting Your Friend: The first round of his arcade story has Orie, his friend in his normal life, as his opponent.
- Hair Antennae
- Having a Blast: His Dark Lotus AKA Shin’en ni Saku Kokuren (Black Lotus Blooming in the Abyss). The ground version involves him blowing up a Black Orbiter already in flight, while the midair version does it without any prerequisite at all other than being in the air.
- Hellish Pupils: Look close; he's got cat-slits.
- Hot-Blooded: He's pretty explosive and loud while fighting.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: A mild form since he adapted to his powers pretty fast and will still jump into action at first notice for Linne, even when told to stay away.
- I Owe You My Life: Due to the life-saving, he's very protective of Linne.
- Jack of All Stats/Shotoclone: As per usual, and thus meaning many professional players will really have to play at their best to use him well. But like several examples with the latter trope, Hyde has his own unique touches/moves to help differentiate from other shotos out there.
- However, he does lack solid mixup, since his Force Function is his only grounded-overhead attack that needs to be fully charged up first.
- Launcher Move: Has one with his 3C command normal.
- Multicolored Hair: Blond at the front, black at the back.
- Ordinary High-School Student
- Real Name as an Alias: He's refered as "Kido-kun" by Orie (Kido is considered his surname usually) as he still uses his real(?) name aside from his alliance with Linne.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Though he's the main protagonist, and is most likely more heroic as he comes and goes.
- Reverse Grip: Uses it in his 3B, 3C, Black Orbiter, Vacant Shift (first input) and Shadow Scare.
- Scratch Damage: Hyde's somewhat supposed specialty, as unlike most powers of darkness in previous fighting games, all of Hyde's sword-based normals can inflict chip damage, even more than his special moves if possible.
- Shoryuken: His Red-Clad Craver AKA Kou Matoishi Yami no Tsubasa (Crimson-Clad Wing of Darkness), and his aforementioned Vacant Shift AKA Kokuu wo Buntsu Dansou (Fault Dividing the Empty Air) being a reverse-grip version of it.
- His Pale Bringer AKA Kashouseshi Shoukou no Setsu (Wedge of Sick Crimson Calling the Calamity) involves a different kind of move from his Craver via different visuals and with it being an overall different move.
- Storybreaker Power: His powers allow him the ability to kill immortals.
- Sword Plant: His Infinite Worth, Gyre Vortex AKA Shuuen he Sasou Rasen no Ori (Spiral Cage Alluring to the Demise), which causes a tornado of darkness to erupt around himself. This is a straight example.
- Also has a Reverse Grip version of it with his Shadow Scare AKA Chi wo Ugatsu Kage (Earth-Piercing Shadow).
Voiced by: Ayane SakuraThe princess of the Yato clan, who saved Hyde when he was attacked by a Void.
- Action Girl
- Badass Princess
- Clean Cut: Her Infinite Worth EXS, Kannagi: Homura Issen (God Mower: Blazing Brandish) is a Laser Blade version that ends with one where the opponent ends up exploding.
- Confusion Fu: Packs some decent mixup with her lows and a few overhead tools with her (C) x2 and her Hien (Flying Swallow) move.
- Cute Bruiser
- Deadpan Snarker
- Death Seeker: She seeks to end her immortality.
- Demonic Possession: How her variant of immortality functions. When her body dies, her spirit immediately possesses another young girl.
- Diving Kick: Has one as a command normal, which gives her the typical cross-up setups that come along with it.
- Double Jump: Is the only character who's able to do this in the game.
- Dual Wielding: A long broadsword and a dagger.
- Fragile Speedster: Moves around fast and has a ton of offensive application, though with a bit of low damage output and oddly enough, HP around Hyde's level.
- Hair Antennae
- Laser Blade: Has one for both her Infinite Worth and Infinite Worth EXS via her BFS.
- Named Weapons: A very odd example. Her long sword is called Mumei (No Name) while her dagger is called Nanashi (Nameless), though both of her weapons actually were never named in the first place.
- Nonchalant Dodge: Has one as her Force Function, where a lot like in the The King of Fighters series, she can also counter attack during it.
- Older Than They Look
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: She's the smallest of the entire cast but this doesn't stop her from being badass.
- Purple Eyes
- Rebellious Princess: She's out with only Waldstein and Hyde, and in some dialogues she mentions not really giving a thing about the Yato clan.
- Reverse Grip: Holds both her weapons like so.
- Shotoclone: Her Kuuga (Air Fang) quasi-projectile attack and her Getsurin (Moon Ring) being her Shoryuken.
- Shout-Out: Has a Palette Swap that resembles Chie Satonaka.
- The Stoic
- Unnecessary Combat Roll: One of her unique command normals that's done only while running/during a dash.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?
- Zettai Ryouiki: Has this in some of her alternate colors. Other than that, she normally wears short-length knee-high boots.
Voiced by: Kouji IshiiA member of the Yato clan who serves and protects Linne.
- Ambiguously Brown
- Blood Knight: He loves the thrill of battle as seen in his story mode.
- Carpet of Virility
- Cool Old Guy
- Dishing Out Dirt: His Force Function allows him to toss a boulder at his opponent all while also being able to control its trajectory with any directional input.
- Gratuitous German: Of course, as per French Bread and Type Moon tradition, all of his moves are written in German. Especially since it's also a bit obvious with his name.
- Ground-Shattering Landing: Both his Infinite Worth and Infinite Worth EXS, Werfen Erschlagen (Throw Slayer) and Katastrophe (Catastrophe), respectively.
- Mighty Glacier: He's possibly the character with the slowest walking speed out of all characters in any 2D game, yet he has the most health of every character in the game and can cut a quarter of it in one grab.
- Power Fist: He wears oversized gauntlets called Goutessou: Hagun (Great Iron Claws: Crushing Army). They can even destroy projectiles.
- Really 700 Years Old: Waldstein is cursed with an immortal body, so he is very old.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Though he's a good guy.
- Undying Loyalty: To Linne.
- Wrestler in All of Us: He's the main grappler of the cast, if it didn't seem obvious enough.
Voiced by: Takashi KondoAn In-Birth who manipulates blood as a weapon. Not affiliated with any organization, he attacks other ability users to show off his power.
- Ax-Crazy: He's got one hell of a bloodthirsty streak. Slightly subverted in that he can be calmed down enough not to deal the finishing blow.
- Blood Knight: One which actually uses his own blood as a weapon.
- Bloody Murder: His ability.
- Cast from Hit Points: Any specials that creates a pool of blood will cost him health, with most of them being projectiles and long range attacks. However, his EX moves, Infinite Worth and Infinite Worth EXS are exempt from this at least.
- Confusion Fu: Carmine focuses on powerful zoning, while being able to shift to duking it out with the opponent up close for extra confusion to prevent punishment. He can also use his throws to recovery his own health in order to have more spare HP for his blood-based moves.
- Difficult but Awesome: Learn to manage his health-cost mechanic, and a skilled Carmine player can easily dictate the match with his powerful zoning potential, and decent close-quarters combat. It can also be a challenge to score a perfect win with him as well.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: He's extremely easy to piss off.
- Laughing Mad: He's almost constantly in this mood and there's not one story mode dialogue that hasn't him do this at least once. Heck, look at his Infinite Worth, where the move's name is even him just laughing mad.
- Life Drain: To offset his Cast from Hit Points, his normal throws and command throw are able to drain health from the opponent upon connecting.
- Red and Black and Evil All Over
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Not the usual examples since he has red sclera.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Actually has white hair, which can be seen during his battle intro before the red takes over.
- Wild Card: He has got absolutely no affiliation, he just goes around beating the crap out of whoever crosses paths with him.
Voiced by: Saori HayamiThe Fifth Executor of Licht Kreis, an organization specialized in Void extermination. She lost her parents at a young age to a Void and fights to ensure no one else has to suffer the same loss. She's Hyde's friend outside her life as an executor.
- Action Girl
- Apologetic Attacker: In some of her dialogues.
- Badass: Though being the fifth executor, Hilda acknowledges her strength as a Licht Kreis member.
- Blade Spam: Has rapid stabbing attacks in the form of her dashing C and Sacred Spire.
- Combat Stilettos: Her heels are a whopping 15 centimeters.
- Curtains Match the Window: Her hair is blue, her eyes are blue and her attire is blue, anyone?
- Expy: Could be seen as one for Ciel, being the blue-haired 'sempai' of the hero (Hyde) whose battle style is a Lady of War with a 'helper' entity and works secretly as a secret agent for a devil-exterminator organization.
- Gradual Grinder: Her damage capability is somewhat low, so she has to hit lots of times to pull off a victory.
- Gratuitous English: Her finishing move is literally called and spelled "REST IN PEACE".
- Guardian Entity: Has one which she can call in battle.
- Fighting Your Friend: The first round of her arcade story has Hyde, her friend in her normal life, as her opponent.
- Hair Antennae
- Lady of War
- Light Is Good
- Lightning Bruiser: Has a healthy HP amount with a very well-rounded moveset, but she's actually lacking more on the raw damage part, relying more on combos to rack up most of it.
- Light 'em Up: A number of her attacks, such as those with her Guardian Entity and her Finishing Move, are light-based.
- Kick Chick
- Parental Abandonment: Merkava killed her parents when she was a child.
- Puppet Fighter: From there, she's able to have a ton of disjointed frame-trap pokes at her disposal if on the offensive. But unlike most of them, Orie is lacking in the "sandwich combo" department.
- Real Name as an Alias: She's referred as "Harada-san" by Hyde, as she hid her relationship with Licht Kreis from her normal life.
- Shockwave Sword Plant: Her Infinite Worth, Luminous Embrace, involves her sword-planting her rapier on the ground to call her Guardian Entity to send forward a forward shockwave.
- Shoryuken: Her Sacred Arrow move, which is a rapier-lifting uppercut into the air. Has no true projectile to make her a real shotoclone however.
- To Be Lawful or Good: When meeting Hyde in her story, they both completely fail at bringing a smooth end to their unfortunate meeting, prompting her to quickly pick "Lawful", starting the fight.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
Voiced by: Kosuke ToriumiA mercenary and an old friend of Hilda, who wishes to put a stop to her plan.
- Anime Hair
- Bad Powers, Good People: His ability, the EXS of Greed Snatcher, is supposed to rip his opponent's soul. Yet he might be one of the friendliest characters in this game.
- Badass Longcoat: Wears a purple one.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: One of his eyes glows purple in his art.
- No Shirt, Long Jacket
- Purple Eyes
- Purple Is Powerful
- The Rival: To some extent, to Chaos. The two of them are the only characters who have a unique rival theme.
- Sinister Scythe: His weapon.
- Shout-Out: Has a Palette Swap that resembles Archer.
- Wolverine Claws: He usually keeps one of his hands in a pocket. Not only does it have nails, but he also uses said hand to stab the opponent in one of his moves.
Voiced by: Hidenobu KiuchiA creature bearing a resemblance to a Void and driven by hunger.
- Arch-Enemy: To Orie since he's all but confirmed to have killed her parents when she was a child.
- Eaten Alive: Subjects his opponent to this in his Finishing Move. He also chews on his opponent during a few other moves.
- Flight: His unique trait in-game.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: Not too glowy, but still counts.
- Horror Hunger: What primarily drives him.
- Skyward Scream: One of his win poses.
- Telepathy: His primary form of communication.
- Tron Lines: Has purple ones all over his body.
- Voice of the Legion
- Was Once a Man: Gave up his human form, resulting in his current state. That said, he still has fragments of his former consciousness driving him and thanks characters who do not treat him as a beast.
Voiced by: Nao TouyamaAn ancient humanoid weapon, known as an Autonomic Nerve, awoken by the recent increase in In-Birth and EXS.
- Action Girl
- Artificial Human: She's an ancient humanoid weapon.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Barring the few times where she's not naked.
- Emotionless Girl
- Hair Antennae
- No Social Skills: Like you wouldn't believe it... She didn't, for example, understand the implications of standing in a public spot for a whole month without moving and had difficulty understanding the concept of clothing when Hyde tried to explain it to her. The latter turns into a Running Gag in the story: Whenever a second female character is involved, Vatista asks Hyde if he forced that girl to wear clothes as well.
- Razor Wings: Similar to the Murakumo units, Vatista has several wings made of blades which she uses to attack.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Red and Black and Evil All Over: She's not evil though.
- The Stoic
- Not So Stoic: She later become Hyde's friend and she showed to be surprised with Hyde's optimistic personality while he held her hand.
- Tron Lines: Hers are red.
Voiced by: Yuuki KajiAn assassin associated with the Yato clan who seeks Linne.
- The Atoner: Wants to undo the immortality curse the Yato clan placed on Linne and her older brother Kuon.
- Badass Longcoat
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness
- Fragile Speedster
- Hair Antennae
- Knife Nut: Two of 'em, no less.
- Multicolored Hair: Mostly black with a white section at the front on the left.
- Named Weapons: His knives are named Eliminator. Their power isn't explored, but are said to be the opposite of Hyde's Insulator.
- Poor Communication Kills: He isn't wishing to listen to Linne or Waldstein and tries to kill the former without trying to hear out what she wants to tell him.
- Reverse Grip
- The Rival: Often considered as one for Hyde, seeing that Seth is seeking Linne for mysterious purposes, and Hyde is extremely protective of Linne.
Voiced by: Ayumi FujimuraA sword-wielding girl whose family once served as the guardians of the land.
- Action Girl
- Bare Your Midriff
- The Cameo: She makes a cameo appearance in Skullgirls.
- Childhood Friend: To Hyde.
- Coat Cape
- Counter Attack: She sports a pair with her 4B and 4C normals. The former will counter any physical attack and launch the opponent into the air, while the latter will reflect projectiles.
- Expy: In a way, of Baiken.
- Genki Girl
- Iaijutsu Practitioner
- Ms. Fanservice: Compared to the rest of the somewhat conservatively-dressed female cast, yes. She rocks a Bare Your Midriff outfit that also shows some of her cleavage, for starters.
- Named Weapon: Her odachi, which she refers to as 'Ayame-chan'.
- BFS: It's about as long as she is tall.
- Nice Girl: More or less the nicest character in the cast.
- Stance System: Her Iki Seishin no Mae. Possibly one of the most Difficult but Awesome aspects of the entire game.
Voiced by: Hatsumi TakadaAlso known as Paradox, the leader of the organization Amnesia. She seeks to become a Re-Birth, an existence surpassing that of an In-Birth.
- Benevolent Boss: She's very polite, friendly and cordial towards her subordinates. This even extends to those who left her organization, as she's still very friendly towards Gordeau.
- Big Bad
- Casting a Shadow: Her attacks are mostly darkness-based.
- Combat Stilettos
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Her outfit is half-white and half-black, split down the middle.
- Final Boss: Three characters only make exception: guest fighters Eltnum and Akatsuki, and Nanase.
- Mistaken for Prostitute: When she meets Akatsuki, he says that he mistook her for "one of these professionals who ply their trade at night"...
- Mismatched Eyes
- Noblewoman's Laugh: Notably belts out one while her opponent is consumed by darkness in her win pose.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair goes down to knee-level. And it's tied upwards.
- Shaping Your Attacks: Many of her attacks involve shaping darkness into blades.
- Slouch of Villainy: She does this on a seat of darkness when using certain moves.
- Storm of Blades: One of her attacks.
- Unwitting Pawn: Supposedly, she's one to Linne's brother Kuon.
- Younger Than They Look: She's only two years older than Yuzuriha, but looks about a decade more.
Voiced by: Yoshitsugu MatsuokaAn associate of Gordeau and a high-ranking member of Amnesia, playable as of Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late.
- Attack Reflector: His Code Reflect command normal works like one, where it'll grow larger for each projectile it absorbs.
- Badass Bookworm: Even though his beast does most of the fighting for him.
- The Beastmaster: He summons a reptilian creature named Azhi Dahaka to fight alongside him.
- Breath Weapon: One of Azhi Dahaka's moves (and thus is one of Chaos' special moves) and Chaos' only projectile attack next to his Code Reflect command normal.
- Delinquent: His backstory says he used to be one, being a bit of a brute-force fighter before relying more on intellect.
- Difficult but Awesome: A very notable example. Chaos lacks notable defensive tools such as reversals and even quick-to-use anti-air attacks other than solid pokes, along with attacks that are easily punished and over-reliance on Azhi Dahaka. However, should he be mastered, Chaos along with Azhi can easily pummel his opponent from around anywhere at anytime with solid space control, as Chaos is the only Puppet Fighter who can easily apply the sandwich combo-type of offense.
- I Know Karate: A lot of his physical attacks involve pretty precise chops.
- Light 'em Up: Has a ton of light-based moves in a majority of his attacks, even if in minor traces.
- Puppet Fighter: He can summon his creature and use it as his main tool to help him in fighting. In some ways it's the only tool he has, since all of his special moves involve it. But compared to Orie, he's the only character who can apply any and notably potent sandwich combos.
- The Rival: Apparently, to Gordeau. It's to the point that they have the first rivalry-specific music in the game.
- Spell Book: Holds one of these in battle.
- Throw the Book at Them: His Code Reflect has him magically sending his book forward with a light rune accompanying it.
- Unnecessary Combat Roll: Has one as his Force Function, which not only can dodge attacks, but can easily cross-up his opponent during sandwich combos or get him out of tight spots into a nifty position of a reversal in the hands of a skilled player.
Voiced by: Satomi AkesakaOriginally from Melty Blood.
- Action Command: Reloads her gun Gears of War style to get bullets which do more damage and have added effects.
- Action Girl
- Braids of Action
- Curtains Match the Window
- The Cameo: Her story mode only consists of her actions of analyzing Under Night In-Birth world without any specific involvement of the main plot.
- Cool Big Sis: Her dialogue gives vibes of her being the "Senpai" to the main cast's "Kouhai", due to Under Night being the Spiritual Successor to Melty Blood.
- Fingerless Gloves: One glove, rather.
- Mythology Gag: Almost every move she has under her belt mirrors the moves from her original appearance.
- Nice Hat
- No Fourth Wall: The first thing she talks about in her story is her first appearance, as well as the meta involved with her fighting style.
- Purple Eyes
- Purple Is Powerful
- Sempai Kouhai: Refers to Akatsuki as "sempai", which doesn't really amuse him.
- Whip It Good: Her Etherlite whip.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A.
Voiced by Shinobu MatsumotoOriginally from Akatsuki Blitzkampf.
- Badass Longcoat: Takes off a black cape at the start of each fight. Is seen wearing it again in his Story Mode's ending, where he leaves towards Mount Fuji to continue his mission.
- Big Eater: He gets hungry very fast after wielding his powers.
- Close Range Combatant: Which is the main discrepancy between Akatsuki Blitzkampf and this game: Akatsuki is far outranged by just about anybody and has to get to close quarters to apply any sort of pressure.
- The Comically Serious: He seems to take himself and his surroundings far more seriously than he should. See his reaction to Eltnum, in example.
- The Determinator: Intends to finish his last order above all else as well as finding the Blitz Motors.
- Expy: His fighting style can be considered a mix of Ryu and Kyo, beating Hyde out as the most traditional Shoto in the game.
- Female Gaze - Heroic Build: Compared to Blitzkampf's simpler sprites, Akatsuki now looks positively ripped.
- Good Old Ways: Akatsuki appreciates classic Japanese culture and has rather old-fashioned, uber polite speech patterns. It's justified if one considers his original backstory from Blitzkampf.
- Limit Break: His Infinite Worth EXS: Ouka Kai (Cherry Blossom Revision), a move original to this game.
- Pretty Boy - Tall, Dark and Handsome: Just look at his portrait!
- Rapid-Fire Fisticuffs: His super move: Divine Wind.
- Shoto Clone: The basic idea of his moveset.
- Shock and Awe: The powers of the Tactical Volt Robe.
- The Stoic: Is said to be a calm man, and he constantly tries to keep 'self cool and collected no matter what.
- Vocal Dissonance: For such a Pretty Boy, Akatsuki has a rather deep voice...
Voiced by: Mayu IizukaA middle school student that is chasing Hyde for unknown reasons. Turns out she thinks he's a pervert, and she wants revenge, but is that really the case?
- Blow You Away
- BFS: Her sword, Zephyr.
- Dramatic Wind: Even when she's standing idle, wind blows on her Girlish Pigtails.
- Gratuitous French: All of her moves, including her named-Force Function (one of the few FF's to be actually named) are written in a combination of both French and Japanese.
- In a Single Bound: Her Force Function, Soyokaze no Riberete (Liberté/Liberty of the Gentle Breeze), which causes her to fly high into the air for some aerial gimmicks. Can also be done in midair like a Double Jump, but not from the grounded version of the Force Function.
- Launcher Move: Her 3C, much like Hyde's. Only she handstand-kicks her opponent upward. Also has a ton of these with her other moves.
- Nice Shoes: Her small boots even have little wings on them.
- One-Handed Zweihänder: Occasionally wields her sword like so for some moves, but other than that, she normally wields it two-handed.
- Power Palms: Her Infinite Worth, Atomosufia no Tenkuu (Atmosphère/Atmosphere/Ambiance of the Aether), involves her uppercut-slashing Shoryuken-style her opponent into the sky, then generating a wind-ball on her free palm to grind into them not unlike Naruto's Rasengan.
- Rant-Inducing Slight: Her story opening has her ranting about how Hyde "defiled" her. Turns out in her ending that she just turned into an In-Birth after he saved her from a Void, and she chases Hyde so that he takes responsibility and returns her to normal.
- Shoryuken: Her midair 8C, Tamani wa Ra Aruto (La Halte/The Stop/The Halt Once in a While), Anju no Sasoi (Ange's/Angel's Invitation) and Kaze ni Mau Purumaaju (Plumage/Feathers Dancing in the Wind).
- Tsundere: Acts a lot one like so.
- Windis Green
Voiced by: Mutsumi TamuraA mysterious young man who wears a black school uniform.
- Animal Motifs: The spider. He traps his opponent in webs for several of his moves and his Infinite Worth EXS Endless Nightmare shows the eight floating daggers on his back attacked to his back, which only makes him look like one.
- Brother-Sister Team: With Tsukuyomi. Except Byakuya's ending reveals that they were only pretending to be one. This is actually played straight once he learns her true intentions and decides to keep helping her.
- Dumb Muscle: Downplayed. While he's not muscular, he is certainly powerful and treated as such. Likewise, while he's not dumb he doesn't feel easy with things like details or small talk.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: Always has them even though he isn't actually a gloomy guy.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: He is referred to as "Predator".
- Not Blood Siblings: As revealed in Byakuya's ending.
- Ordinary High-School Student: He looks like one and Hyde even supposes he's coming from another high school nearby when they meet in his story mode.
- Shout-Out: Byakuya bears a resemblance to Yu Narukami.
- Trap Master
- Undying Loyalty: To his sister, Tsukuyomi. During his story, he's mostly her attack dog. In his ending, it's revealed to be charade they both put up. It even looked like he was going to betray and eat her at the end, but after learning her reasons he decides to keep helping her.