open/close all folders
Introduced in Under Night In-Birth
Voiced by: Ryohei Kimura
- He wakes up — in order to free the girl from the chains of eternity that seal her fate.
The power burned within him, the Void. The blade he carries, the Insulator.
Each day became lost in a sea of banality, living under the threat of the Night.
The Hollow Night approaches, and where reality and fantasy meet, this young boy takes a stand...
to reclaim everything, and return it to nothingness.
A high school student who was attacked by a Void but was saved by Linne. Having awakened as an In-Birth as a result, he cooperates with Linne, preparing for when the Under Night comes again. Also known as Unknown Actor by Licht Kreis and Orie's friend.
- Alternate Character Reading: A Kinoko Nasu tradition and a tradition in a ton of shounen-based anime: Hyde's moves are written in kanji with katakana in the place of hiragana particles, and they have different furigana-styled transliterations that may or may not translate exactly to their kanji readings. For example, his Black Orbiter move's kanji reading is "Enkan no Kyouka" (Wicked Vortex of the Torus).
- This is even applied to his name in kanji (城戸 灰都, Kido Haido).
- Badass Normal: He is an ordinary High-School student who's untrained in combat, but still fights toe-to-toe with his sword against much stronger and experienced fighters and can still emerge victorious.
- Casting a Shadow: His main power with his red sword. It's red-colored in his case.
- Cool Sword: Wields a red sword known as the Insulator, or literally the Danretsu no Menzaifu (Indulgence of Sever-Rending).
- Fighting Your Friend: The first round of his arcade story has Orie, his friend in his normal life, as his opponent.
- Final Boss: For Hilda, Nanase, Eltnum and Akatsuki.
- Expy: Other than having Yu Narukami's stance and playstyles, he also has Awakened Kaede's hairstyle and colors, and his playstyles too.
- Hair Antennae
- Having a Blast: His Dark Lotus AKA Shin’en ni Saku Kokuren (Black Lotus Blooming in the Abyss). The ground version involves him blowing up a Black Orbiter already in flight, while the midair version does it without any prerequisite at all other than being in the air.
- Hellish Pupils: Look close; he's got cat-slits.
- Hot-Blooded: He's pretty explosive and loud while fighting.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: A mild form since he adapted to his powers pretty fast and will still jump into action at first notice for Linne, even when told to stay away.
- I Owe You My Life: Due to the life-saving, he's very protective of Linne.
- Jack-of-All-Stats/Shotoclone: As per usual, and thus meaning many professional players will really have to play at their best to use him well. But like several examples with the latter trope, Hyde has his own unique touches/moves to help differentiate from other shotos out there.
- However, he does lack solid mixup, since his Force Function, Strict Daze AKA Shoukoku no Zansai (Vestige of Cruelty), is his only grounded-overhead attack that needs to be fully charged up first.
- Launcher Move: Has one with his 3C command normal.
- Leitmotif: "Scraper Sky High"
- Multicolored Hair: Blond at the front, black at the back.
- Nice Guy: While he does have a bit of a temper, Hyde is generally a friendly and generous person. Just to rattle off a few, he spares Hilda after defeating her, apologizes to Yuzuriha for something he apparently did to her in far in the past, saves Nanase from a Void, and invites Vatista to live with him.
- Ordinary High-School Student
- Real Name as an Alias: He's refered as "Kido-kun" by Orie (Kido is considered his surname usually) as he still uses his real(?) name aside from his alliance with Linne.
- However, it's somewhat played with and subverted in that his name is all in kanji.
- Red Baron: His title is known as the Unknown Actor AKA in the kanji's actual translation, the Unknowing Costar.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Though he's the main protagonist, and is most likely more heroic as he comes and goes.
- Reverse Grip: Uses it in his 3B, 3C, Black Orbiter, Vacant Shift (first input) and Shadow Scare.
- The Rival/Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red to Seth's Blue, and the second characters to have unique rival theme, in term of most Arc System Works' red and blue rivalry theme (Sol vs. Ky in Guilty Gear, and Ragna vs. Jin in BlazBlue for most).
- Scratch Damage: Hyde's somewhat supposed specialty, as unlike most powers of darkness in previous fighting games, all of Hyde's sword-based normals can inflict chip damage, even more than his special moves if possible.
- Ship Tease: He's quite protective of Linne, mostly due to her saving him from a Void prior to the game's story. There's also Vatista, who starts living with Hyde in the former's arcade mode ending.
- Shoryuken: His Red-Clad Craver AKA Koumatoishi Yami no Tsubasa (Crimson-Clad Wing of Darkness), and his aforementioned Vacant Shift AKA Kokuu wo Buntsu Dansou (Fault Dividing the Empty Air) being a reverse-grip version of it.
- His Pale Bringer AKA Kashouseshi Shoukou no Setsu (Wedge of Sick Crimson Calling the Calamity) involves a different kind of move from his Craver via different visuals and with it being an overall different move.
- Storybreaker Power: His powers allow him the ability to kill anyone by erasing their existence, which even includes immortals.
- Sword Plant: His Infinite Worth, Gyre Vortex AKA Shuu'en he Sasou Rasen no Ori (Spiral Cage Alluring to the Demise), which causes a tornado of darkness to erupt around himself. This is a straight example.
- Also has a Reverse Grip version of it with his Shadow Scare AKA Chi wo Ugatsu Kage (Earth-Drilling Shadow).
Voiced by: Ayane Sakura
- She repeats. To undearth the truth behind her eternity, and settle a score with her brother.
The sword she sought, and the encounter with its wielder...
In there lies the path that will change her fate.
The rusty cogs will begin to move once more, its ripples, beckoning her to the end of her tale.
The princess of the Yato clan, who saved Hyde when he was attacked by a Void.
- Action Girl
- Badass Adorable
- Badass Princess
- Body Surf: How her variant of immortality functions. When her body dies, her spirit immediately possesses another young girl.
- Clean Cut: Her Infinite Worth EXS, Kannagi: Homura Issen (God Mower: Blazing Brandish) is a Laser Blade version that ends with one where the opponent ends up exploding.
- Confusion Fu: Packs some decent mixup with her lows and a few overhead tools with her (C) x2 and her Hien (Flying Swallow) move.
- Cute Bruiser
- Deadpan Snarker
- Death Seeker: She seeks to end her immortality.
- Diving Kick: Has one as a command normal, which gives her the typical cross-up setups that come along with it.
- Double Jump: Is the only character who's able to do this in the game.
- Dual Wielding: A long broadsword and a dagger.
- Hair Antennae
- Laser Blade: Has one for both her Infinite Worth and Infinite Worth EXS via her BFS.
- Leitmotif: "Night Walker"
- Named Weapons: A very odd example. Her long sword is called Mumei (No Name) while her dagger is called Nanashi (Nameless), though both of her weapons actually were never named in the first place.
- Nonchalant Dodge: Has one as her Force Function, where a lot like in the The King of Fighters series, she can also counter attack during it.
- Older Than They Look
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: She's the smallest of the entire cast but this doesn't stop her from being badass.
- Purple Eyes
- Rebellious Princess: She's out with only Waldstein and Hyde, and in some dialogues she mentions not really giving a thing about the Yato clan.
- Reverse Grip: Holds both her weapons like so.
- Shotoclone: Her Kuuga (Air Fang) quasi-projectile attack and her Getsurin (Moon Ring) being her Shoryuken.
- Shout-Out: Has a Palette Swap that resembles Chie Satonaka.
- The Stoic
- Unnecessary Combat Roll: One of her unique command normals that's done only while running/during a dash.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?
- Zettai Ryouiki: Has this in some of her alternate colors. Other than that, she normally wears calf-length boots with spandex shorts.
Voiced by: Kouji Ishii
- He rages. In order to protect his master, the beast will raze buildings and crush trees
with his own to hands. To stand by his master's side, he takes on the curse of eternity,
transcending the power of mankind.
On this quiet night, he thinks about his master,
and how he may die on the battlefield one day...
A member of the Yato clan who serves and protects Linne.
- Ambiguously Brown
- Badass Grandpa: Thanks to his monstrous body giving him immortallity, he still remains a powerful fighter despite his old age.
- Blood Knight: He loves the thrill of battle as seen in his story mode.
- Carpet of Virility
- Cool Old Guy
- Dishing Out Dirt: His Force Function allows him to toss a boulder at his opponent all while also being able to control its trajectory with any directional input.
- Gratuitous German: Of course, as per French Bread and Type Moon tradition, all of his moves are written in German. Especially since it's also a bit obvious with his name.
- Ground-Shattering Landing: Both his Infinite Worth and Infinite Worth EXS, Werfen Erschlagen (Throw Slayer) and Katastrophe (Catastrophe), respectively.
- Leitmotif: "Maximize Power!"
- Mighty Glacier: He's possibly the character with the slowest walking speed out of all characters in any 2D game, yet he can cut a quarter of the enemy's health in one grab.
- Power Fist: He wears oversized gauntlets called Goutessou: Hagun (Great Iron Claws: Crushing Army). They can even destroy projectiles.
- Really 700 Years Old: Waldstein is cursed with an immortal body, so he is very old.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Though he's a good guy.
- Undying Loyalty: To Linne.
- Wrestler in All of Us: He's the main grappler of the cast, if it didn't seem obvious enough.
Voiced by: Takashi Kondo
- He hungers. His body, drenched in blood thirsts for more,
but nothing can satiate his desire for violence.
He must show that none are more powerful than he.
The fangs and claws that flow through his veins pierces his enemies in their entirety.
Still, he cannot let his blood go dry, and he hunts for more prey to satisfy his lust.
An In-Birth who manipulates blood as a weapon. Not affiliated with any organization, he attacks other ability users to show off his power.
- Advertised Extra: Featured prominently in most promotional material, despite being mostly irrelevant to the game's actual plot due to having no true alignment or ties to other characters.
- Ax-Crazy: He's got one hell of a bloodthirsty streak. Slightly subverted in that he can be calmed down enough not to deal the finishing blow.
- Blood Knight: One which actually uses his own blood as a weapon.
- Bloody Murder: His ability.
- Cast from Hit Points: Any specials that creates a pool of blood will cost him health, with most of them being projectiles and long range attacks. However, his EX moves, Infinite Worth and Infinite Worth EXS are exempt from this at least.
- Confusion Fu: Carmine focuses on powerful zoning, while being able to shift to duking it out with the opponent up close for extra confusion to prevent punishment. He can also use his throws to recover his own health in order to have more spare HP for his blood-based moves.
- Awesome, but Impractical/Difficult but Awesome: Learn to manage his health-cost mechanic, and a skilled Carmine player can easily dictate the match with his powerful zoning potential, and decent close-quarters combat. It can also be a challenge to score a perfect win with him as well.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: He's extremely easy to piss off.
- Laughing Mad: He's almost constantly in this mood and there's not one story mode dialogue that hasn't him do this at least once. Heck, look at his Infinite Worth, where the move's name is even him just laughing mad.
- Leitmotif: "Bad Surface"
- Life Drain: To offset his Cast from Hit Points, his normal throws and command throw are able to drain health from the opponent upon connecting.
- Red and Black and Evil All Over
- Red Baron: His title is known as Carmine Prime, or at least in literal translation of its kanji the Gensho no Aka (Red of Origin).
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Not the usual example since he has red sclera.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Actually has white hair, which can be seen during his battle intro before the red takes over.
- Wild Card: He has got absolutely no affiliation, he just goes around beating the crap out of whoever crosses paths with him.
Voiced by: Saori Hayami
- She judges. And hopes that the heavy weight placed on her frail shoulders may one day
be lifted. Delicate physique and delicate sword — its point aimed at the monster
responsible for her parents' death.
Light fills her body, and the melody she sings resonates throughout the city.
This girl, a beacon of justice... no doubt her shadow will burn in the eyelids of her enemies.
The Fifth Executor of Licht Kreis, an organization specialized in Void extermination. She lost her parents at a young age to a Void and fights to ensure no one else has to suffer the same loss. She's Hyde's friend outside her life as an executor.
- Action Girl
- Apologetic Attacker: In some of her dialogues.
- Blade Spam: Has rapid stabbing attacks in the form of her dashing C and Sacred Spire.
- Combat Stilettos: Her heels are a whopping 15 centimeters.
- Curtains Match the Window: Her hair is blue, her eyes are blue and her attire is blue, anyone?
- Expy: Could be seen as one for Ciel, being the blue-haired 'sempai' of the hero (Hyde) whose battle style is a Lady of War with a 'helper' entity and works secretly as a secret agent for a devil-exterminator organization.
- Gradual Grinder: Her damage capability is somewhat low, so she has to hit lots of times to pull off a victory.
- Gratuitous English: Her finishing move is literally called and spelled "REST IN PEACE".
- Guardian Entity: Has one which she can call in battle.
- Fighting Your Friend: The first round of her arcade story has Hyde, her friend in her normal life, as her opponent.
- Hair Antennae
- Lady of War: She's a classy girl who wields a rapier with a calm, composed aura.
- Leitmotif: "Purity & Strictly"
- Light is Good
- Lightning Bruiser: Has a healthy HP amount with a very well-rounded moveset, but she's actually lacking more on the raw damage part, relying more on combos to rack up most of it.
- Light 'em Up: A number of her attacks, such as those with her Guardian Entity and her Finishing Move, are light-based.
- Kick Chick: She fights with kicks when not using her rapier.
- Nice Girl: She dislikes pointless fighting and often spares her opponent in her victory quotes.
- Parental Abandonment: Merkava killed her parents when she was a child.
- Puppet Fighter: From there, she's able to have a ton of disjointed frame-trap pokes at her disposal if on the offensive. But unlike most of them, Orie is lacking in the "sandwich combo" department.
- Real Name as an Alias: She's referred as "Harada-san" by Hyde, as she hid her relationship with Licht Kreis from her normal life. The name in kanji is 原田 織依 (Harada Orie).
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Erika Wagner's Red. Orie despise Erika for her Jerkass, such as not following Litch Kreis' orders and mercilessly killing her enemies, especially turning one of Gordeau's close allies into a Void.
- Royal Rapier: Wields a rapier as her main weapon, and she's a classy giel with an elegant fighting style.
- Shockwave Sword Plant: Her Infinite Worth, Luminous Embrace, involves her sword-planting her rapier on the ground to call her Guardian Entity to send forward a forward shockwave.
- Shoryuken: Her Sacred Arrow move, which is a rapier-lifting uppercut into the air. Has no true projectile to make her a real shotoclone however.
- The Southpaw: She appears to wield her rapier with her left hand, although she can change hands in-game. Her official art shows her holding the sword with her left hand.
- To Be Lawful or Good: When meeting Hyde in her story, they both completely fail at bringing a smooth end to their unfortunate meeting, prompting her to quickly pick "Lawful", starting the fight.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
Voiced by: Kosuke Toriumi
- He reaps. He slashes his enemies to satisfy, but it is not enough
— he wishes to reunite with an old friend. Offering a souvenir for an old acquaintance.
The land is fast, expanding as far as the eye can see
The sky, without boundaries, no ceiling. He raises his sickle,
and prepares for the Night.
A mercenary and an old friend of Hilda, who wishes to put a stop to her plan.
- Anime Hair
- Bad Powers, Good People: His ability, the EXS of Greed Snatcher, is supposed to rip his opponent's soul. Yet he might be one of the friendliest characters in this game.
- Badass Longcoat: Wears a purple one.
- Expy: In some ways, to Kagura Mutsuki. Both are Tall, Dark and Handsome laidback guys who are good members of an otherwise evil organization and tries to go against them secretly, both have purple vibes (though Kagura has it less) and they use big, long-reaching weapons.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: One of his eyes glows purple in his art.
- Heel–Face Turn: Quits Amnesia after one of his close friends died while becoming a Void, all caused by Erika Wagner (a Litch Kreis member whom Orie despises). Fed up with Hilda making use of this for her own goals, Gordeau plans to stop both Hilda and Erika, with the help of one of his best friends, Chaos, who secretly defected from Amnesia and acts as a Reverse Mole within the organization.
- Hetero Sexual Life Partner: With Gordeau.
- Leitmotif: "Rushing Heart"
- No Shirt, Long Jacket
- Purple Eyes
- Purple Is Powerful
- The Rival: To some extent, to Chaos. The two of them are the first characters who have a unique rival theme.
- Sinister Scythe: His weapon.
- Shout-Out: Has a Palette Swap that resembles Archer.
- Slide Attack: His 3C command normal, especially since he lacks a normal-based sweep like most characters and has his 2C as more of a Launcher Move instead.
- Spin Attack/Everything Is Better With Spinning: Has several:
- Grim Reaper.
- Aim Opening has it was a weapon twirl during a leap into an overhead slam. His Infinite Worth, Turbulence milks it for all its worth.
- Wolverine Claws: He usually keeps one of his hands in a pocket. Not only does it have nails, but he also uses said hand to stab the opponent in his Rusty Nail Force Function.
Voiced by: Hidenobu Kiuchi
- He fears. Every day, the curse that permeates through his body grows stronger.
The memory lost, the flesh that is no longer, the hunger that cannot be fulfilled.
He dashes across the earth, drenched in red, trailing behind him, his crimson arms.
A beast of the Void. Neither peace nor hope has resided in this body for a long, long time.
A Void driven by a desire to consume EXS. Unlike most others of his kind, Merkava is sentient, and is able to convey human thoughts.
- Anti-Villain: He's not an actively malicious person, he's merely driven by his instincts as a Void to devour the EXS, which, unfortunately, lie inside of In-Births.
- Arch-Enemy: To Orie since he's all but confirmed to have killed her parents when she was a child.
- The fact that he's a Void hasn't won him any points with Vatista, who was specifically programmed to eliminate his kind.
- Eaten Alive: Subjects his opponent to this in his Finishing Move. He also chews on his opponent during a few other moves.
- Final Boss: For Orie, after he kills the usual final opponent, Hilda.
- Interface Spoiler: The fact that Hilda is only fight #9 should give away the fact that there's someone else waiting for Orie when it seems to be over.
- Flight: His unique trait in-game.
- Glass Cannon: In spite of his size, Merkava has the 3rd lowest health pool out of the playable cast, and has a large hitbox to boot. He makes up for this by having some of the highest damage and combo potential in the game.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: Not too glowy, but still counts.
- Humanoid Abomination
- Horror Hunger: What primarily drives him.
- Leitmotif: "Unseen Entities"
- Not So Different: Towards Vatista."Our prisons may be different, but our shackles are the same."
- Skyward Scream: One of his win poses.
- Telepathy: His primary form of communication.
- Tron Lines: Has purple ones all over his body.
- Voice of the Legion
- Was Once a Man: Gave up his human form, resulting in his current state. That said, he still has fragments of his former consciousness driving him and thanks characters who do not treat him as a beast.
- Wild Card: Like Carmine, Merkava has no affiliation with any of the game's organizations, instead being a hunger-driven Void who acts on instinct.
Voiced by: Nao Touyama
- She serves. A pawn that sleeps eternally. A puppet with no will to call her own.
Her master, nowhere to be seen.
There is but one directive that resonates to this day
— the end of peace is the beginning of war. To destroy the voids once and for all.
An ancient humanoid weapon, known as an Autonomic Nerve, awoken by the recent increase in In-Birth and EXS.
- Action Girl
- Adorkable: She's not very good at conversing with others, but boy does she try...Vatista: I take it you have no more issues with my garments, or lack thereof? I am but a simple, unassuming, harmless human being. I do not intend to capture or detain you. [...] I am impressed that you saw through my disguise. Was there a weak link in my costume...?Orie: Weak link? It's like your entire chain came apart!
- Artificial Human: She's an ancient humanoid weapon.
- Badass Adorable: Looks about as cute as an humanoid weapon possibly can.
- Difficult but Awesome: She doesn't just have "charge" moves, she also has charge moves with the reverse of the typical commandsnote which makes combos more complex. However, those very moves are powerful and cover a lot of range and/or have great utility.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Barring the few times where she's naked.
- Emotionless Girl
- Hair Antennae
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: Begins her story mode butt naked, only putting on clothes when Hyde tells her to... only to strip again later, believing only Hyde has an issue with it.
- Leitmotif: "Snow Sisters"
- Long-Range Fighter: Functions very solidly as a zoner-type character.
- Nice Girl: In her own weird way. While she has no qualms with attacking In-Births, she seems to always request that they fight her instead of forcing them, and never attacks with lethal force, with the sole exception to this rule being Merkava, with even Hilda being spared in the end. Helping her case is her appearance in Nanase's story mode, where she dismisses Nanase's tall tales about Hyde in favor of her own experiences with him.
- No Social Skills: Like you wouldn't believe it... She didn't, for example, understand the implications of standing in a public spot for a whole month without moving and had difficulty understanding the concept of clothing when Hyde tried to explain it to her.
- The latter turns into a Running Gag in the story: Whenever a second female character is involved, Vatista asks Hyde if he forced that girl to wear clothes as well.
- Razor Wings: Similar to the Murakumo units, Vatista has several wings made of blades which she uses to attack.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Red and Black and Evil All Over: She's not evil though.
- Ship Tease: Her arcade ladder ending is rife with this towards Hyde. After swearing to him that she'll remember his name "for all time", she starts living in his house under his request.
- The Stoic
- Not So Stoic: She later become Hyde's friend and she showed to be surprised with Hyde's optimistic personality while he held her hand.
- Stone Wall: Physically. Her unique trait nullifies the unique properties of counter hits landed on her (e.g. no extra wall/ground bouncing or OTG pickups). Because of this, combos on her tend to be a lot shorter.
- Tron Lines: Hers are red.
Voiced by: Yuuki Kaji
- He wanders — Bound by the will and governing of an ancient family, but his emotions tremor.
The promise he made with a young girl shackles him, in rusty chains he strives to sever.
The Night becomes a labyrinth, impeding his progress.
Will he ever find the beacon he seeks?
An assassin associated with the Yato clan who seeks Linne.
- The Atoner: Wants to undo the immortality curse the Yato clan placed on Linne and her older brother Kuon.
- Badass Longcoat
- Diving Kick: One of his command normals.
- Dual Wielding: Wields two knives.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness
- Fragile Speedster: He has one of the lowest health counts in the game and can't take hits well. However, he is the only character in the game who can back air dash, as well as fastfall.
- Hair Antennae
- Knife Nut: Two of 'em, no less.
- Leitmotif: "Monochrome Memory"
- Multicolored Hair: Mostly black with a white section at the front on the left.
- Named Weapons: His knives are named Eliminator. Their power isn't explored, but are said to be the opposite of Hyde's Insulator.
- Poor Communication Kills: He isn't wishing to listen to Linne or Waldstein and tries to kill the former without trying to hear out what she wants to tell him.
- Reverse Grip: Holds his weapons this way.
- The Rival / Red Oni, Blue Oni: Often considered as one for Hyde, seeing that Seth is seeking Linne for mysterious purposes, and Hyde is extremely protective of Linne. Confirmed when the two finally have a rivalry theme in the game's latest second update, in term of most Arc System Works' red and blue rivalry theme (Sol vs. Ky in Guilty Gear, and Ragna vs. Jin in Blazblue for most).
Voiced by: Ayumi Fujimura
A sword-wielding girl whose family once served as the guardians of the land.
- Action Girl
- Bare Your Midriff
- The Cameo: She makes a cameo appearance in Skullgirls.
- Childhood Friend: To Hyde.
- Coat Cape
- Counter Attack: She sports a pair with her 4B and 4C normals. The former will counter any physical attack and launch the opponent into the air, while the latter will reflect projectiles.
- Expy: In a way, of Baiken. Gameplay wise, however, she's closer to Johnny, or even Moriya and Kamui.
- Genki Girl
- Iaijutsu Practitioner
- Leitmotif: "Moving Like A Blossoming Lily♪"
- Ms. Fanservice: Compared to the rest of the somewhat conservatively-dressed female cast, yes. She rocks a Bare Your Midriff outfit that also shows some of her cleavage, for starters, and some of the art makes it clear that she isn't wearing anything under either her top or her jeans.
- Named Weapon: Her odachi, which she refers to as 'Ayame-chan'.
- BFS: It's about as long as she is tall.
- Nice Girl: More or less the nicest character in the cast.
- Stance System: Her Iki Seishin no Mae, via being a typical "delayable 3-way attacker" type of character. Possibly one of the most Difficult but Awesome aspects of the entire game due to its many followups compared to that said archetype.
- The Southpaw: Holds the sheath of her sword with her right hand, so sha can use her left hand to draw, and attack.
Voiced by: Hatsumi Takada
- She savors, She wields her power for a single purpose.
Light and Dark, the contradiction that exists inside of her.
A helix of contradiction, and the chaos with no order.
Darkness that covers her eyes. A voice that comes from deep within the earth.
The false eyes chase after eternity, and she wishes for Re-birth.
Also known as Paradox, the leader of the organization Amnesia. She seeks to become a Re-Birth, an existence surpassing that of an In-Birth.
- Benevolent Boss: She's very polite, friendly and cordial towards her subordinates. This even extends to those who left her organization, as she's still very friendly towards Gordeau.
- Big Bad
- Casting a Shadow: Her attacks are mostly darkness-based.
- Combat Stilettos
- Dumb Blonde: In Carmine's story, he notes her too stupid to be the mastermind. Some other characters also notice her lack of intelligence as well.
- Expy: Her fighting style has a lot of similarities to v-13.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Her outfit is half-white and half-black, split down the middle.
- Final Boss: Five characters only make exception: Orie (who fights Merkava), guest fighters Eltnum and Akatsuki, Nanase, and of course Hilda herself (they all fight Hyde).
- Leitmotif: "Overwhelm Despair"
- Long-Range Fighter: She can cover even more range than Vatista with simpler controls to boot. However, she doesn't have much to defend herself should enemies get close to her.
- Mistaken for Prostitute: When she meets Akatsuki, he says that he mistook her for "one of these professionals who ply their trade at night"...
- Mismatched Eyes
- Noblewoman's Laugh: Notably belts out one while her opponent is consumed by darkness in her win pose.
- Powers Do the Fighting: What she mostly does is point to a direction and/or sitting and she can make shadow blades appear wherever she wants.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair goes down to knee-level. And it's tied upwards.
- Shaping Your Attacks: Many of her attacks involve shaping darkness into blades.
- Slouch of Villainy: She does this on a seat of darkness when using certain moves.
- Smug Snake
- Storm of Blades: One of her attacks.
- Unwitting Pawn: Supposedly, she's one to Linne's brother Kuon.
- Younger Than They Look: She's only two years older than Yuzuriha, but looks about a decade more.
Introduced in Under Night In-Birth Exe: Late
Voiced by: Yoshitsugu Matsuoka
- He schemes. Staring down his opponents from behind his glasses.
He keeps a beast within, and a book filled with nothing but chaos.
He awaits the chance to unleash his power. The desire to find his beloved friend,
and a comrade who tries to stop him. But which he was going to pick was obvious...
the beast shows its fangs, crushing anything it finds in its path.
An associate of Gordeau and a high-ranking member of Amnesia, playable as of Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late.His real name is actually Kei Asuma (明日真 景, Asuma Kei).
- Attack Reflector: His Code Reflect command normal works like one, where it'll grow larger for each projectile it absorbs.
- Badass Bookworm: Even though his beast does most of the fighting for him.
- The Beastmaster: He summons a reptilian creature named Azhi Dahaka to fight alongside him.
- Breath Weapon: One of Azhi Dahaka's moves (and thus is one of Chaos' special moves) and Chaos' only projectile attack next to his Code Reflect command normal.
- Delinquent: His backstory says he used to be one, being a bit of a brute-force fighter before relying more on intellect.
- Difficult but Awesome: A very notable example. Chaos lacks notable defensive tools such as reversals and even quick-to-use anti-air attacks other than solid pokes, along with attacks that are easily punished and over-reliance on Azhi Dahaka. However, should he be mastered, Chaos along with Azhi can easily pummel his opponent from around anywhere at anytime with solid space control, as Chaos is the only Puppet Fighter who can easily apply the sandwich combo-type of offense.
- Hetero Sexual Life Partner: With Gordeau.
- I Know Karate: A lot of his physical attacks involve pretty precise chops.
- Light 'em Up: Has a ton of light-based moves in a majority of his attacks, even if in minor traces.
- Leitmotif: "Erudite Eyes".
- Puppet Fighter: He can summon his creature and use it as his main tool to help him in fighting. In some ways it's the only tool he has, since all of his special moves involve it. But compared to Orie, he's the only character who can apply any and notably potent sandwich combos.
- Reverse Mole: Upon hearing one of his and Gordeau's friends were turning into a Void and being killed, caused by Erika Wagner of Litch Kreis. And then when he's especially fed up with Hilda's plans on manipulatiing them, Chaos secretly Heel-Face Turns from Amnesia, goes undercover as one of remaining members of the organization to help Gordeau to seek the info about Amnesia's plot and Erika.
- The Rival: Apparently, to Gordeau. It's to the point that they have the first rivalry-specific music in the game.
- Spell Book: Holds one of these in battle, used to either cast his magic or control Azhi Dahaka with.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Azhi Dahaka in the English localization is instead spelt as "Aji D'haka".
- This even applies to his name, where Chaos in katakana is written as "Keiasu" instead of the usual ways to write in katakana being "Kaosu", "Keeosu" and "Keiosu". It may instead actually hint at the portions used for his name if written in Western order however....
- Throw the Book at Them: His Code Reflect has him magically sending his book forward with a light rune accompanying it.
- Unnecessary Combat Roll: Has one as his Force Function, which not only can dodge attacks, but can easily cross-up his opponent during sandwich combos or get him out of tight spots into a nifty position of a reversal in the hands of a skilled player.
Voiced by: Mayu Iizuka
- She dances. Taking on the pure air from the night sky, she seeks the one who turned
her into an In-birth. The young boy with a long red blade. Her pure and silky white skin,
that is contrasted with her body that has been consumed by the night.
The traces of her innocence are clouded. Is what she is feeling truly the desire for
vengeance? Perhaps the answers will present itself in the story... maybe.
A middle school student that is chasing Hyde for unknown reasons. Turns out she thinks he's a pervert, and she wants revenge, but is that really the case?
- Badass Adorable
- Blow You Away
- BFS: Her sword, Zephyr.
- Book Dumb / Idiot Heroine: Mistaken Hyde being a pervert, and calling her senior, Phonon, her real name many times.
- Dramatic Wind: Even when she's standing idle, wind blows on her Girlish Pigtails.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Originally meant to be in arcade version of original version of Under Night In-Birth. Until she went Ascended Extra to be Promoted to Playable in console version of Exe: Late update.
- Gratuitous French: All of her moves, including her Force Function are written in a combination of both French and Japanese.
- In a Single Bound: Her Force Function, Soyokaze no Riberete (Liberté/Liberty of the Gentle Breeze), which causes her to fly high into the air for some aerial gimmicks. Can also be done in midair like a Double Jump, but not from the grounded version of the Force Function.
- Launcher Move: Her 3C, much like Hyde's. Only she handstand-kicks her opponent upward. Also has a ton of these with her other moves.
- Leitmotif: "Gallant Girl ~Blowing Wind that Flows from the Sky~"
- Nice Shoes: Her small boots even have little wings on them.
- One-Handed Zweihänder: Occasionally wields her sword like so for some moves, but other than that, she normally wields it two-handed.
- Power Palms: Her Infinite Worth, Atomosufia no Tenkuu (Atmosphère/Atmosphere/Ambiance of the Aether), involves her uppercut-slashing Shoryuken-style her opponent into the sky, then generating a wind-ball on her free palm to grind into them not unlike Naruto's Rasengan.
- Rant-Inducing Slight: Her story opening has her ranting about how Hyde "defiled" her. Turns out in her ending that she just turned into an In-Birth after he saved her from a Void, and she chases Hyde so that he takes responsibility and returns her to normal. In her ending, Linne, Vatista, and Orie all tell her that chasing Hyde will never change the fact that she is an In-Birth and nor can he change her back. She appears to take it to heart. For now.
- Sempai/Kohai: Kohai to Phonon
- Shoryuken: Her midair 8C, Tamani wa Ra Aruto (La Halte/The Stop/The Halt Once in a While), Anju no Sasoi (Ange's/Angel's Invitation) and Kaze ni Mau Purumaaju (Plumage/Feathers Dancing in the Wind).
- Ungrateful Bastard: How does she repay Hyde for saving her from a Void? By accusing him of being a pervert and chasing him all over the city just to kick his ass.
- Tsundere: Acts a lot like one.
- Wind is Green
Voiced by: Mutsumi Tamura
- They nest. The web will lure and consume any prey that goes near.
He, for her, and her for herself, they fight.
Her feelings point to one direction, to a friend defeated.
She sips on blood, and mud alike, chasing a shadow.
His eight legs will crawl through the night once more, carrying with him her feelings.
A mysterious young man who wears a black school uniform.
- Animal Motifs: The spider. He traps his opponent in webs for several of his moves and his Infinite Worth EXS Endless Nightmare shows the eight floating daggers on his back attacked to his back, which only makes him look like one.
- Brother-Sister Team: With Tsukuyomi. Except Byakuya's ending reveals that they were only pretending to be one. This is actually played straight once he learns her true intentions and decides to keep helping her.
- Dumb Muscle: Downplayed. While he's not muscular, he is certainly powerful and treated as such. Likewise, while he's not dumb he doesn't feel easy with things like details or small talk.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: Always has them even though he isn't actually a gloomy guy.
- Leitmotif: "Beat Eat Nest"
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: He is referred to as "Predator".
- Not Blood Siblings: As revealed in Byakuya's ending.
- Ordinary High-School Student: He looks like one and Hyde even supposes he's coming from another high school nearby when they meet in his story mode.
- Shout-Out: Byakuya bears a resemblance to Yu Narukami. Meanwhile, his use of floating blades somewhat resembles that of the Murakumo units.
- Trap Master
- Undying Loyalty: To his sister, Tsukuyomi. During his story, he's mostly her attack dog. In his ending, it's revealed to be charade they both put up. It even looked like he was going to betray and eat her at the end, but after learning her reasons he decides to keep helping her.
Introduced in Under Night In-Birth Exe: Late[st]
Voiced by: Saori Oonishi
- She wishes. For the paranormal ability, from the deepest spirit of hers. Along with the
white follower. False shell at present. The wish will be fulfilled when the time comes right
here. The sword speaks. The path to the bright future. She fails. The sword exposes. The
path from the cloudy past. She overrides.
Admiring the abilities and wanting to freely use her own ability, she leaves a strictly disciplined student vigilante group, "EFG". This sensitive girl is common in these days. She has grown bored of her peaceful life as a student and kept searching for her "true self" for a long time. She use to be Nanase's senior back in their school life.She keeps thinking that her powers as a "Fake Born" was what finding her true self meant. She walks under the night thinking that her powers should be used on other people. But people rumor that within the people who wander under the night, there's someone who takes a form of your "false self" from the time before you awakened as your "true self"...
- Action Girl
- Animal Motifs: Considered that her weapon is a snake.
- Boredom Montage: Wasn't satisfied of her peaceful life and seeks for her "true self" instead.
- Berserk Button: Never called her Yoshiko, or else she'll Whip It Good on you.
- Cutebut Cacophonic
- Expy: Of Whip in term of playstyle.
- Headphones Equal Isolation
- Leitmotif: "Sounds Of Night Wind♪"
- Sadist: See also Whip It Good.
- Sempai/Kohai: Sempai to Nanase.
- The Stoic: In her first appearance before gameplay. However...
- Whip It Good: Her speciality.
- You Gotta Have Green Hair
Voiced by: Aya Suzaki
- She comes. Escaping from her tedious routine. Escaping fetters.
Across the sky. Swims the ocean. Climbs mountains. Finally arrives this place.
Never to lose the beloved friend again. Walks with her intent wish.
With her desire charged in the fist. She exerts everything. To somewhere very far.
A member of the Licht Kreis, Mika is the muscle behind Orie's Execution Team. In the game proper, she runs away from Licht Kreis headquarters to aid Orie in her undercover mission in Japan.
- Action Girl
- Ass Kicks You: Her hip attacks
- Bare Your Midriff
- Badass Adorable: Equally capable of taking names and captivating hearts.
- Cute Bruiser
- Dumb Blonde: She's not a very bright individual.
- Dumb Muscle: Mentioned to not be very intelligent.
- Expy: Her boisterous attitude, reliance on a pair of oversized steel gauntlets, and partnership with a more traditionally ladylike enforcer may remind people of Vi. Even their poses in both their official artwork and idle stances are the same.
- Genki Girl: As indicated by her facial expressions when fighting.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Glass Cannon: Despite how much damage she can put out, she takes hits about as well you'd expect a teenage girl wearing next to no armor to.
- Megaton Punch: Her modus operandi.
- Muscles Are Meaningless: She's somehow able to heft around and slug things with those massive gauntlets of hers with little issue.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: She's a measly 2 centimeters taller than Vatista, the shortest member of the cast, but shares Waldstein's role as the local grappler.
- Power Fist: Her weapons of choice, called the Pachelbel Cannon.
- Stripperific: Her sleeveless, midriff-revealing top and shorts aren't exactly modest.
- Tomboyand Girly Girl: The Tomboy to Orie's Girly Girl.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: Mika wears fairly puffy short shorts.
Voiced by: Satomi Akesaka
- She slaughters. The path she has carved herself, and those who follow in it.
The potential hidden within the have-nots, she has come to witness for herself.
The threads of fate play a trick, and the actress must once more perform.
The perfect distraction from boredom. Until the curtains rise on her stage once more.
Originally from Melty Blood.
- Action Command: Reloads her gun Gears of War style to get bullets which do more damage and have added effects.
- Action Girl
- Braids of Action
- Curtains Match the Window
- The Cameo: Her story mode only consists of her actions of analyzing Under Night In-Birth world without any specific involvement of the main plot.
- Cool Big Sis: Her dialogue gives vibes of her being the "Senpai" to the main cast's "Kouhai", due to Under Night being the Spiritual Successor to Melty Blood.
- Fingerless Gloves: One glove, rather.
- Leitmotif: "Blood Drain - Again -"
- Mythology Gag: Almost every move she has under her belt mirrors the moves from her original appearance.
- Nice Hat
- No Fourth Wall: The first thing she talks about in her story is her first appearance, as well as the meta involved with her fighting style.
- Purple Eyes
- Purple Is Powerful
- Sempai Kouhai: Refers to Akatsuki as "sempai", which doesn't really amuse him.
- Whip It Good: Her Etherlite whip.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A.
Voiced by Shinobu Matsumoto
- He hides. To carry out the mission assigned to him, and for the love of country.
He was considered dead, and over a half a century later, resurfaces.
Surrounded by devices unfamiliar, he fights to protect himself.
How he wandered into this night is a mystery.
I hope that you may forgive the lack of details... he is only a guest.
Originally from Akatsuki Blitzkampf. Introduced in Under Night In-Birth Exe: Late.
- Badass Longcoat: Takes off a black cape at the start of each fight. Is seen wearing it again in his Story Mode's ending, where he leaves towards Mount Fuji to continue his mission.
- Big Eater: He gets hungry very fast after wielding his powers.
- Bishōnen - Pretty Boy - Tall, Dark and Handsome: Just look at his portrait!
- Close Range Combatant: Which is the main discrepancy between Akatsuki Blitzkampf and this game: Akatsuki is far outranged by just about anybody and has to get to close quarters to apply any sort of pressure.
- The Comically Serious: He seems to take himself and his surroundings far more seriously than he should. See his reaction to Eltnum, in example.
- The Determinator: Intends to finish his last order above all else as well as finding the Blitz Motors.
- Difficult but Awesome: Akatsuki's gameplay requires a heavy patience, such as being a Close Range Combatant, being a standard size character, having a step dash, close ranged attacks (not counting standing light and crouching attacks) and most of all, his two different directions of aerial normals. His short reach makes it difficult for him to really be able to poke and zone effectively, but he can really get in on you if you let him.
- Expy: His fighting style can be considered a mix of Ryu and Kyo, beating Hyde out as the most traditional Shoto in the game.
- Female Gaze - Heroic Build: Compared to Blitzkampf's simpler sprites, Akatsuki now looks positively ripped.
- Good Old Ways: Akatsuki appreciates classic Japanese culture and has rather old-fashioned, uber polite speech patterns. It's justified if one considers his original backstory from Blitzkampf.
- Leitmotif: "Open War -Again-"
- Limit Break: His Infinite Worth EXS: Ouka Kai (Cherry Blossom Revised), a move original to this game.
- Rapid-Fire Fisticuffs: His super move AKA Infinite Worth: Kamikaze (Divine Wind).
- Shoto Clone: The basic idea of his moveset. However, his Shoryuken-based move instead has a very different command from the rest.
- Shock and Awe: The powers of the Tactical Volt Robe.
- The Stoic: Is said to be a calm man, and he constantly tries to keep 'self cool and collected no matter what.
- Vocal Dissonance: For such a Pretty Boy, Akatsuki has a rather deep voice.