Mega Man X4
is the fourth entry in the Mega Man X
series, released on the Playstation
and Sega Saturn
on July 1997 in Japan, August 1997 in North America, and October 1997 in Europe. It was also the first Mega Man X
game not to be released on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System
.In the year 21XX
, two large reploid armies to combat the outbreak of Mavericks exist, the Maverick Hunters including X and Zero, and the Repliforce. The two great organizations have worked together several times to counter Maverick activity, and it was during this time that Zero gets to know the Colonel and his sister Iris of the Repliforce. With the Maverick Hunters, X has also befriended a new ally, a clumsy rookie named Double.
But one day, the aerial city of Sky Lagoon is targeted by Mavericks, causing it to crash to the earth causing thousands of causalities. As Repliforce was in the area during the attack, they are asked to disarm themselves and come in for questioning, however the Colonel refuses due to his pride. To make matters worse the Repliforce leader, General, launches a coup d'Útat to start a nation only for Reploids to exist, which soon causes him and the entirety of Repliforce to be labeled as Mavericks by the government, forcing the Maverick Hunters to turn against their once allies.
- Web Spider of Repliforce, gives Lightning Web to X, and Raijingeki to Zero
- Magma Dragoon of the 14th Special Unit, gives Rising Fire to X, and Ryuenjin to Zero
- Storm Owl of Repliforce, gives Double Cyclone to X, and Tenkuuha to Zero
- Split Mushroom of Sigma's forces, gives Soul Body to X, and Kuuenzan (as well as Kuuenbu) to Zero
- Frost Walrus of Repliforce, gives Frost Tower to X, and Hyouretsuzan to Zero
- Slash Beast of Repliforce, gives Twin Slasher to X, and Shippuuga to Zero
- Jet Stingray of Repliforce, gives Ground Hunter to X, and Hienkyaku to Zero
- Cyber Peacock of Sigma's forces, gives Aiming Laser to X, and Rakuhouha to Zero
- Ascended Extra: Zero was technically Promoted to Playable in Mega Man X3, but this game allows him to be chosen as the main playable character from the start, and gives a lot of Character Development.
- Bilingual Bonus: All of Zero's sword techniques retain their original Japanese names, for instance; Raijingeki translates to "Thunder God Attack" and Ryuenjin means "Dragon Flame Blade".
- Blood Knight: Magma Dragoon sabotages Sky Lagoon and kills thousands just to force X or Zero to have to fight him in a final duel to the death.
- Boss Subtitles: After choosing which stage to enter, it begins with a single paragraph explaining what the Maverick did, along with the Maverick's name and sprite. Also, a Title Scream of the boss's name.
- Boss Warning Siren: This game introduced them to the series.
- The Cameo: Chill Penguin and Blizzard Buffalo can be seen frozen in the background of Frost Walrus's stage.
- Character Development: Zero gets a lot of development in this game, something that would continue in the next games.
- Colony Drop: Sky Lagoon during the intro stage.
- Darker and Edgier: For the first time, the Maverick label is used on a group not infected with the Sigma Virus (though Repliforce may or may not have brought it on themselves by being so stubborn) and Zero's ties to Dr. Wily are revealed, not to mention Iris' death, which would continue to haunt Zero after the game.
- Designated Love Interest: Iris to Zero, they got together sometime between Mega Man X3 and this game, and don't share much romantic screentime in the game proper before Iris's death.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Iris dies in Zero's arms.
- Double Agent: Double.
- Easy Levels, Hard Bosses: When playing as Zero. His agility makes him great in the main stages, but since he gains new moves rather than new weapons, he can't always exploit the bosses' weaknesses. He has no animation-interrupting move against Slash Beast and Magma Dragoon, for instance.
- Expy: Magma Dragoon is pretty much Akuma as a dragon reploid.
- Face-Heel Turn: Former Maverick Hunter, Magma Dragoon.
- Once accused of turning Maverick, Repliforce starts a coup d'Útat to create a seperate nation only for Reploids.
- Iris turns on Zero after Zero kills her brother.
- Fire, Ice, Lightning: Magma Dragoon, Frost Walrus, and Web Spider respectfully.
- Flying Seafood Special: Jet Stingray, as well as the Kill Fisher enemies in Web Spider's stage.
- Flunky Boss: Web Spider and Jet Stingray can shoot out spider and stingray drones respectively. Meanwhile Split Mushroom can deploy multicolored clones of himself, as well as creating a real body double.
- Giant Spider: Web Spider of the Repliforce.
- The Grim Reaper: Sigma disguises himself in a Grim Reaper motif, complete with black robes, shadowed face, and a Sinister Laser Scythe.
- Hard Levels, Easy Bosses: When playing as X. As usual, you can rip through bosses like nothing if you know their weaknesses, many of which interrupt the boss's attacks, and even weaken them beyond damage dealt.
- Heroic Sacrifice: General ends up sacrificing himself to stop the Kill Sat Sigma had commandeered to Kill All Humans.
- Hijacked By Sigma: To the point that Split Mushroom lampshades this if you're playing as X.
- Honor Before Reason: After the Sky Lagoon incident, Colonel refuses to disarm his troops to come in for questioning out of pride, which combined with their lacklustre performance on the field, which makes Repliforce as a whole look suspicious.
- Several Repliforce generals, including Storm Owl and Jet Stingray, start attacking innocent civilians in order to drive attention to themselves and away from Repliforce as they prepared to launch into space. This, of course, simply justifies the mandate that Repliforce has turned Maverick and must be destroyed.
- Humongous Mecha: Eregion is as tall as the screen. Frost Walrus is possibly the largest "eight stage bosses" character in all of Mega Man (although Rainy Turtloid from Mega Man X6 is the largest Maverick boss in whole X series), as he stands at 3/4 of the screen height, even larger than Frost Man.
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Dragons: Eregion and Magma Dragoon.
- Kill 'em All: Every character in X4 except X and Zero are dead by the end of the game.
- Kill Sat: The Repliforce space station, Sigma plans on using the space laser to destroy all life back on earth.
- King of Beasts: Slash Beast is a lion reploid, and he certainly acts the part.
- Laser Blade: Zero's primary weapon, his Z-Saber.
- Lightning Bruiser: Slash Beast is quite strong and hardy, and fast enough to outrun a moving train.
- The Mole: Double.
- Monstrosity Equals Weakness: Eregion is the second-largest boss in the game and is also the most pathetic.
- Mushroom Man: Split Mushroom.
- Narm: IRIS! THERE IS NO REASON FOR ME TO GO ON! WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAARRRR!
- Na´ve Newcomer: Double is a new rookie Maverick Hunter who likes to tag along with X, or so it would seem.
- Nice Hat: Many Repliforce officers wear one, like Colonel, General, Web Spider, Jet Stingray and Storm Owl.
- Not Helping Your Case: Even when it turns out that Repliforce didn't do anything to the Sky Lagoon at all, they don't do much to cover themselves either - see Honor Before Reason for why.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Double.
- Ominous Owl: Storm Owl.
- Peacock Guy: Cyber Peacock. Even though he's not female, he acts a little campy.
- Promoted To Fully Playable: Zero.
- Remember the New Guy: Repliforce, we're made to understand they've been around for awhile and have worked with the Maverick Hunters on several occassions. Based on the memo in the accompanying booklet, they had been established after the third game.
- Schr÷dinger's Player Character: X briefly talks to Zero during his ending. This is the only time they interact once you choose your character.
- Shout-Out: Magma Dragoon is a big one to Akuma of the Street Fighter franchise, he even uses the Shoryuken and the Hadoken by name.
- When he does the Twin Slasher, Slash Beast does a somersault akin to Guile's Flash Kick.
- Shotoclone: Magma Dragoon
- Sinister Scythe: Sigma uses a Laser Scythe.
- Teleport Spam: Cyber Peacock and Colonel.
- Utility Weapon
- Warmup Boss: Eregion, the bipedal dragon Mechaniloid of the Sky Lagoon stage.
- When All You Have Is a Hammer: Zero only has his Z-Saber, so most of his upgrades give him more powerful or versatile sword techniques.
- Xanatos Gambit: Sigma pulls one here; If either the Maverick Hunters or Repliforce wins, he can aim the Final Weapon on the Earth. The only reason he plans fails was because General survive his fight with X and Zero and stops the weapon himself.
- Zero-Effort Boss: Most of the eight Mavericks become pushovers if you have their weakness handy. As long as you hit them as soon as you're able (which isn't difficult) they become locked into a pattern where some of them can't even attack, they get hit, fly off-screen or teleport, then reappear to get hit again.