Video Game: Mega Man Xtreme
Mega Man Xtreme
is the first in a handheld spin-off
of the Mega Man X
series, and was released on the Game Boy Color
on October 2000 in Japan, January 2001 in North America, and August 2001 in Europe. Chronologically it takes place sometime between the events of Mega Man X2
and Mega Man X3
, and includes enemies from both the original Mega Man X
game and X2
. It was released on the 3DS Virtual Console in Japan on December 4, 2013 in Japan, and on May 1, 2014 in North America.In the year 21XX
, the mother computer of the Maverick Hunter's headquarters has been hacked by an unknown source, rewriting all of the Maverick Hunter's data in an instant and causing chaos throughout the world. In the confusion, Mavericks have started to attack, leaving Zero to handle the outside threat while X digitizes himself to enter the computer and discover who is responsible for this new threat.
Assisted by fellow reploid and computer genious Middy, X must battle through the data of enemies he has already defeated in the past, to discover a mysterious Maverick named Techno as the hacker, assisted by a mysterious duo by the names of Zain and Geemel. However, it turns out someone is pulling Techno's strings from behind the scenes ...
Mavericks (Normal Mode):
Mavericks (Hard Mode):
In Extreme Mode, all eight Mavericks from the previous two modes can be fought in any order the player wishes.
- Artistic License – Engineering: Middy and Techno somehow share the same CPU because they are brothers, despite the fact a CPU is a physical piece of hardware and two are not at all connected, and in fact spend most of the game miles away from one another.
- BFS: Zain's weapon of choice, complete with Spin Attack.
- Blood Knight: Zain is only interested in defeating X ... although it's also entirely possible this is a result of him being a Flat Character.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Techno by Sigma.
- Cain and Abel: Techno and Middy, although it wasn't Techno's fault.
- Damn You, Muscle Memory: If you're used to the controls from the Super Nintendo Mega Man X titles or the games from the Mega Man Zero/Mega Man ZX era, playing this game on the Virtual Console can and will trip you up at times, since you have to remember that you no longer have a button to dash and the fire/jump buttons are in different places.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Techno dies in his brother's, Middy's, arms, right before Middy dies as well due to them sharing a CPU.
- Easy-Mode Mockery: Beat the game on Normal Mode and Sigma just chuckles at X and retreats, telling him that this is not the end.
- Flash Step: Geemel's usual mode of transportation, when he isn't flying on a giant kite.
- Fuuma Shuriken: Geemel's weapon of choice.
- Giggling Villain: Geemel, kekeke!
- Heroic Sacrifice: Middy almost tells X that Techno is his brother, but decides not to at the last minute, knowing that X might not be able to do what needs to be done if he knew. The sacrifice comes from that when Techno dies, Middy dies as well, due to a shared CPU unit between them.
- Hijacked By Sigma: As it turns out, Techno is being mind-controlled into hacking the Maverick Hunter's computer by Sigma.
- Hollywood Hacking: The entire game's premise is X digitizing himself to enter the computer world to stop a Maverick hacker.
- New Game+: To unlock Hard Mode you have to beat Normal Mode, but in Hard Mode you keep all weapons and upgrades you obtained in Normal Mode. Extreme Mode averts this, having the player start over fresh with all 8 Mavericks to fight in any order they wish.
- Skippable Boss: You can encounter Zain and Geemel in the Maverick stages via an optional side-path. You get no apparent reward for fighting them this way, however.
- Skyward Scream: Middy gets an emotion one after his brother, Techno, dies in his arms.
- The Social Darwinist: Played straight by Sigma, but verbally averted by X, who claims he is tired of a world where only the strong survive and the weak (in this case, Middy and Techno) have to die.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Vile, encountered at the end of the intro level, is referred to by his Japanese name, Vava.
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: Mega Man XTREME! Obviously a play on the word "Extreme" and the fact the main character is named X.