We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Tropes that apply to me:
Tropes that I love:
Tropes that I hate:
- A-Cup Angst
- Author Tract—Works that contain social commentary ought to make people think, not attempt to browbeat them into thinking like you. What's more, if a work starts beating me over the head with its message I'll be inclined to start taking the other side regardless of what that message was.
- Clingy Jealous Girl
- Did Not Do The Research
- Die for Our Ship
- Draco in Leather Pants
- For the Evulz—Seriously, give your villain a motive. The only case where I've ever seen this done well is with Gargoyles's Thailog, and even he had a motive for wanting to act evil for evil's sake.
- Hard Work Hardly Works—I'm looking at you, Dragon Ball Z.
- Honor Before Reason—If the only thing at stake is a tournament trophy, that's one thing, but if lives other than your own hinge on you winning a battle, you don't fuck around.
- I Can Change Him—No, ladies, you can't. He's the only one who can change him. What's more, a complete psychopath isn't a really good person inside who just needs some love, he's a complete psychopath who if he needs anything needs some therapy, hopefully accompanied by being locked away where he can't hurt other people.
- Idiot Ball
- Rape as Comedy, and any and all forms of Double Standard Rape. I reserve a particular loathing for Double Standard: Rape, Divine on Mortal.
- Romantic Plot Tumor—The idea a lot of writers seem to have that every story has to have a romantic subplot in order to appeal to a wider audience gets extremely tiresome after awhile.
- Ron the Death Eater
- Science Is Bad
- Status Quo Is God
- Viewers Are Morons
- Villain Ball—I think that heroes should save the day on their own merits, rather than because the villain did something inexcusably stupid.
- Yo Yo Plot Point
Tropes that I've written:
Tropes that I've consciously averted: