If Nobody Dies
is known for anything besides being over-the-top and awesome, it's for its love of Shout Outs
; quite a few so far, and more are certain to come:
/Pinky and the Brain
- Chapter 3: Yui and Gendo pull an "Are you pondering what I'm pondering?" exchange.
- Chapter 10: "I'm waiting for an interview." "Why?" "Because I want to work here." "Why?" "Because it is interesting work?" "Why?" "Because I studied it in college." "Why?"
- Chapter 6: Shinji unlocking the Magoroku prompts Misato to say that Unit 01 "went Voltron on the enemy's ass," which is referenced again in the next chapter as "Form Blazing Sword."
- Chapter 55: The Ree start mixing Voltron quotes into the assembly sequence of Kei's Devastator knock-off. (Culminating with, "And I'll form the head.")
- Apparently, Zyuu wanted their combiner mech to use lions, which is what they'll do "next time."
- Chapter 1: Rei's first complete sentence in the story? "Come with Me If You Want to Live."
- Again to Shinji and Asuka in Chapter 42 when passing through a post End of Eva universe.
- When Mana is revealed as a cyborg in Chapter 22, she is described as having a Terminator-like endoskeleton.
- Comes back later as a Body Horror nightmare in Chapter 33, when she peels half her face off (losing the fleshy eye) over a sink in a direct Shout-Out to the first movie.
- Chapter 73: "Ah, our small army of AIs. When do we build Skynet, by the way?"
- Chapter 90:
GLaDOS Naok00 is nicknamed Skynet by Mana.
- Chapter 93: Ichi's words when firing herself from the Eva launch chutes into an Angel, so she can try to punch it to death. "I'll be back." And she wasn't even in her Evangelion body...
- ... and after catching fire and losing all her skin while doing so, her skinless avatar-body resembles the T-X.
- Chapter 14: "It's like I'm wearing nothing at all. Nothing At All. NOTHING AT ALL." "Stupid Sexy Maya." Said by Ritsuko of all people. Cue Squee from Maya.
- Chapter 17: "Can't sleep, ADAM will eat me."
- Chapter 50:
Something Pieter realized about Kyoko years ago, and probably one of the things that drew him back to her after their years apart, is that the terminology gentle, cuddling, and half measure are foreign to her.
With Kyoko, you strap yourself in and ride the Gees.
- Chapter 71: Rei on Shinji becoming an unwilling Chick Magnet: "Every girl in 50 yards kinda wants to strap him in and make him feel the G's!"
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
- In Chapter 6, Unit-01 dances to Higher and Higher in what's described as a "sympathetic reaction", similar to the red slime in Ghostbusters 2.
- Chapter 29: "(Yui) has given (Rei) strict instructions on what to do if her Eva asks her if she is a God."
"YES! Yes, I am! Now go forth, my minion! Kill in my name!"
- Chapter 44: Evidently firing two Positron cannons in two different dimensions at each other at the same time through the Sea of Dirac causes a controlled total protonic reversal.
- Chapter 52:
Mordin: Terrified. Beyond capacity for rational thought.
- Chapter 61: Pieter calls Lilith "marshmallow girl," and Mana calls her "Staypuff."
Mega Man ZX
- Chapter 33: After Go-Kun's Dynamic Entry in the virtual sim, his description sounds like a certain blue-haired, hot-blooded Badass.
- Chapter 38: Rei and Go-Kun defeat the Iruel-possessed Rampel with a "GIGA! DRILL! BUH-REAKAAAH!".
- Chapter 45: Used again against the insane Unit 04 in the Dirac Sea.
- Chapter 64: S2 engines generate power "by using the power of perpetuating spirals to generate energy from nothing".
- This is actually canon, if you count the N64 game.
- Chapter 8: Jet Alone Prime's boot-up sequence: "Biolink established. Meta Encapsulated Granule Awareness System: Online."
- Chapter 14: Kaworu mentions a "Game of Destiny that his brethren must engage in."
- Chapter 26: Evangelion Provisional Unit 05 ("Go-kun") is Liberty fucking Prime.
- Chapter 34: New Vegas apparently exists in the ND-verse. Becomes important in chapters 63-65.
How I Met Your Mother
- Chapter 14: Evangelion DA FLAMETHROWAH.
- Chapter 34: "Engaging ludicrous speed."
- Chapter 88: Kihl's safe combination is "the sort of thing an idiot would put on his luggage".
- Chapter 34: "Did I ever tell you how I met your mother?"
- In ch. 54, Junior recites from the Bro Code.
- Chapter 77: Go-Kun gets a Transformer avatar body, doubling as Misato's car. Misato makes him say, "Transform, and roll out."
- Chapter 106: "Miss Katsuragi? Why does your car sound like Optimus Prime?"
- Several nods to the new movies:
- Rei slides Go-Kun between the legs of a Trident and shoots it in the crotch.
- During their Leliel-aided travels across several parallel universes, Go-Kun, who the author has stated would be voiced by Peter Cullen and who has uttered such lines as "Life is the right of all sentient beings", picks up some flame decals.
- In ch. 55, Kei and the Ree turn a bunch of construction vehicles into Devastator.
- Go-kun, ch. 78: "GIVE ME YOUR FACE!"
- And to the original franchise:
- Mana's battle prayer:
- The game of Exalted 40K that the pilots play in Chapter 30 is one long homage to Shinji And Warhammer 40 K.
- Chapter 41: "Stop tormenting Ikari, you kraut bitch" - along with the speaker and circumstances - is a reference to the author's own earlier works, Shinji Almighty and the original version of Walking In The Shadow Of Dreams.
- Chapter 57: Rei is wearing a green and black plugsuit...just like another AU Rei does in Neon Genesis Evangelion: ANIMA.
- Chapter 63: The Eva convention features a nod to Earth Scorpion, author of Aeon Natum Engel and Aeon Entelechy Evangelion.
- Chapter 63: "Of course, that doesn't help make up for the fact that she's running into a lot of cosplayers of herself, including one in Uri's plugsuit, with a lot of bandages who is pointing to random people and screaming that they're an Angel."
- Shateiel, Raziel and Turel are nods to unused Angel concepts from the original series.
- Apart from the aforementioned game of Exalted 40K, anyone familiar with Exalted's backstory will find Kei's experiments in Chapter Two of The Kei Files to be quite familiar. She also hosts her vaguely threatening dinner party in what is clearly Malfeas.
- Hikari regularly GMs games of Exalted with Rei, becoming versed enough in the game to start making references to it by Chapter 84.
- Chapter 92: Annette's story of how she met the Keiworu in the MP Evas is called Epic Pony Saving Prana.
Battle Angel Alita
- "What. The. F____."
- Chapter 58: Gendo's avatar in the Ree-written game is based on the main character.
- The "initializing" area where he selects his avatar resembles the Animus.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- The "little mechanical avatars" from chapter 19.
- In Chapter 56, one of the life-sized avatar units generates a plasma jet from its hand.
- Shinji's predicament in Chapter 71 is quite reminiscent of Xander's in the episode "Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered."
- Chapter 90. "Bored now."
- Go-Kun pulls off a Big Bang Attack during a fight with ADAM.
- In Chapter 87, Go-kun uses a Kamehameha.
- Tali, when suiting up into her Cain armor in Chapter 51, uses a floor with moving parts and manipulator arms that put on the armor piece by piece. The suit also has a built-in chain gun like the War Machine suit.
- Similarly, Mana's cyborg body is powered by an arc reactor, as is Jet Alone's hammer.
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
- Chapter 72: Asuka Sohryu v. the World — Asuka is challenged by the Ree in the same manner as the Seven Evil Exes.
- From Nobody Dies: The Ayanami Sisters Fight Crime: "Oh no." "Oh no!" "Oh No!" "Oh Yeah!"
Sonic the Hedgehog
- Chapter 52: Two visiting characters from Mass Effect confront an angry Zwei.
- In Chapter 93, Mana and Zophael reenact the Black Knight scene.
Team Fortress 2
Red vs. Blue
- In chapter 14, Kaworu is forced by Rei to admit she's the ultimate life form.
- Which gets a Call Back in Chapter 93 when Rei does the same thing to Zophael.
The Man Your Man Could Smell Like
- Chapter 54: "I am Mari Illustrious Makinami! And you will fear my LASERFACE!"
- Chapter 64: During the Cherubrim attack on New Vegas, Touji, Hikari and Rei face down Kei (who they believe just pulled a Heel-Face Turn). Touji's weapon of choice? An orange safety cone, referencing Grif's classic "Protect me, cone!" line.
- Chapter 93: "Oh, son of a Bi-"
- Chapter 71 reveals that Zyuu sees Shinji as the Old Spice Guy.
- Chapter 97: "Is on a Horse".
- Chapter 23: "Fastball Special!"
- Chapter 50 & 71: "OPTIC BLAST!"
- In the latest snippet of Rei Ayanami Does the Multiverse, Rei, Asuka, and Go-kun end up in the X-Men universe...where Go-kun promptly gets blasted by Cyclops.
Anime and Manga
- "Kool-Aid!" *CRASH* "OH YEAH!"
- "Roaches check in. They don't check out."
- Chapter 9: Rei's plot to blackmail the school principal is very similar to Haruhi Suzumiya's method of computer acquisition.
- Chapter 19: The random schoolgirl who hits on Shinji is named Kaname Chidori.
- In chapter 31, Rei's finishing speech towards the virtual Sachiel is a direct rip of Domon Kasshu's Shining Finger Sword, ending with Rei using Go-Kun's left arm to grab hold of Sachiel's chest and fire its cannon point blank into its core, ending, naturally, with a Shining....FINGAHHH!!!!!. Fuyutsuki questions if Unit 5 was built for such a thing, while Pieter simply replies that anything Rei does is impossible to plan via paper.
- Rei and Go-kun pull it off again in chapter 42 against ADAM.
- Again with Go-kun in chapter 68, only this time it's the upgraded version, "Burning GOD FINGER!"
- Iruel's "Dating Sim" in Chapter 31, 32 and 41 has "Stick it in" as the fourth option in every dialogue choice. The dating sim in the fourth episode of Excel Saga has "Put it in" as the third option in every dialogue choice. It's also the title of chapter 94.
- Chapter 33: During the battle against Iruel, with some prodding from Asuka, Ichi turns into a 200' Pikachu (in her color scheme).
- Chapter 34: The bodies of the Reigo/Reichigoma bodies sound awfully familiar...
- Chapter 64 & 87: Go-kun opens its chest and uses a MEGA SMASHER attack.
- Chapter 72: Hatchi. "DIVINE... BUSTAH!!!"
- Chapter 74: Pieter and Yui watch Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt and wonder why they hired a studio filled with insane deviants.
- Mark-09's activation sequence at the beginning of Chapter 101 closely follows the ones used by Alucard.
- Iruel's lead-in to his Badass Boast is a takeoff of The Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil."
- Nena's "99 Red Balloons" is referenced as "a German pop song about the nuclear apocalypse."
- This could also be a reference to the fanfic Taking Sights, which uses a very similar line and has Gendo and Fuyutsuki of all people singing it at a karaoke bar, which is exactly where this chapter of Nobody Dies takes place, complete with Gendo singing "99 Red Balloons", which the perspective character doesn't realize until it's too late. note
- Chapter 50: Israfel, the Angel of Song, is the enemy in this chapter, so... yeah.
- Chapter 53: The after-action report of the fight with Israfel reveals that Rei & Shinji had a dance battle with an army of Israfels to the tune of Thriller.
- Nana, one of the Ree, repeatedly uses the phrase "Boom for the Boom God!".
- Jet Alone Prime's High Impact Acceleration Hammer is named "Sigmar" after Sigmar Heldenhammer.
- Chapter 105: Hikari plans on using ideas from a conspiracy theorist classmate for her Shadowrun game.
- Many, many chapters: "What'cha doin'?"
- Chapter 8: The acronym of Jet Alone Prime's startup sequence: MEGAS.
- Chapter 24: Mana keeps Spongebob Squarepants looping in her head to keep out mental invasion.
- Chapter 25: "The Angel's already gone down the hooole!"
- Chapter 50: Don't let him get us! We don't wanna go down the hole!
- In Chapter 29: Mana's line "And What the Hell is Kwanzaa, anyway?!" is a reference to "The Futurama Holiday Spectacular."
- In Chapter 50, Shinji and Kaworu have almost verbatim the same conversation about talking to women as Fry and Zoidberg in the episode "Why Must I Be a Crustacean in Love?"
- Chapter 38: "Hello my baby, hello my honey, hello my Ree-time gaaaaal..."
- Chapter 42: "What's up, Doc?"
- Chapter 50: The Israfels' habit of pointing accusing fingers.
- Chapter 59: During Gendo and Hideaki Anno's fight, they smash into a vegetable stand whose owner bemoans the loss of his cabbages.
- Chapter 67: 2025. Island of Dr. Rei, off the Jersey Shore...
- And seven chapters before that, Dr. Akagi spouts the same line Dr. Weird gave when his "present" attacked Steve: "Oh, yeah! Take it to the bank, Daddy!"
- The title of Chapter 80: "Asuka's Sister is a Big Fat Bitch".
- Chapter 98. Ichi is the Avatar.
- Chapter 100. A certain MLP DVD is used as a clue to find the secret entrance of Kei's lab.
- Chapter 105. One of Shinji's classmates' observation of Lilly: "She's so fluffy I could die!"
- In chapter 1, Rei refers to Ritsuko as a friend of Gendo's "in a Ugandan way". (Funnier, because she's not in this continuity.)
- During chapter 30, Misato notes after a long night of drinking that the devil on her shoulder is bigger and taking food orders, a reference to Larry Miller's classic "Five levels of drinking" stand-up routine.
- The robot avatar of Unit-02 is the Big Dog.
- In chapter 81, the robot that serves drinks and then falls down the stairs is a reference to the Honda Asimo and its infamous press conference.
- Chapter 98: The Roswell incident was a cover-up of Xavier Spencer's dad crashing an experimental jet fighter, which was just done to avoid embarrassment.
- Chapter 108: Part of Mana's problem synching with JA-tan is OS incompatibility. The fix for this is to install Boot Camp.