Recap: Babylon Five S 04 E 19 Between The Darkness And The Light
"Who am I? I'm Susan Ivanova, Commander, daughter of Andrei and Sofie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance, and the boot that is gonna kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart. I'm death incarnate and the last living thing that you're ever going to see. God sent me."
— Commander Susan Ivanova
This episode contains examples of:
- The Alliance: Has gone from officially supporting Sheridan's faction to militarily supporting Sheridan's faction.
- Badass Boast: When challenged by the Advanced Omega squadron, Ivanova issues an epic one, even claiming to be on a Mission from God to destroy her enemy.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Lyta.Lyta: What do you know about Hell? Hmm? Would you like me to show it to you? Mine and his?
- Black Eyes of Evil: When Lyta uses her powers to break the Psi Cop blocks, and when she projects the memories she retrieved into Number One's mind, she gets the same eyes she had when she was in contact with the Shadows.
- Blasphemous Boast: From Ivanova to the Advanced Omega squadron: "God sent me." This is the second of Ivanova's speeches during the series taking this form (the first being back in "A Voice in the Wilderness" when she chews out the shuttle crew), but played deadly serious this time (she doesn't apologize immediately after).
- Brainwash Residue: Lyta finds P12 blocks in Garibaldi's mind. Beyond them she finds all the memories of Bester's meddling.
- Bridal Carry: Marcus carrying Ivanova after she has been mortally wounded.
- Chekhov's Gun: Garibaldi gets stabbed in the back during a fight, and Franklin stitches him up. He can't guarantee that the sutures will hold if Garibaldi insists on moving around instead of staying put. True enough, the wound opens a few scenes later and the blood tips the guards off.
- Combat Medic: Doctor Franklin gets in several fights in this episode, including shooting one of the guards.
- Continuity Nod:
- Enlightened Self-Interest: Londo and G'Kar talk the League of Non-Aligned Worlds into joining Centauri and Narn in militarily backing Sheridan's invasion of the Earth Alliance to overthrow Clark. The moral argument is obvious but Londo notes there's a strong foreign policy justification, too: if Sheridan's rebels should lose, Clark's anti-alien regime means the alien governments lose the humans as trade partners and potentially even gain one of the region's major superpowers as an enemy.Vir: Politics and morality on the same side? That doesn't happen every day, Delenn.
- Et Tu, Brute?: The Resistance is ready to have Garibaldi summarily executed for betraying Sheridan, but Franklin wants to ask him why first, which gives Garibaldi just enough room to convince Lyta to scan him.
- Facial Dialogue: One of the guards at the door notices Garibaldi's stab wound bleeding through his uniform, and silently gestures at the guard behind the window to get his attention without tipping off the heroes.
- The Gloves Come Off: Up until now, Sheridan's forces have been holding back to try and avoid killing opposing crews unnecessarily. Knowing that the Advanced Destroyers are crewed by staunch loyalists planning to kill all of the rebel Earther ships, Ivanova's forces don't hold back. The resulting battle is short and brutal, with neither side offering any mercy until it is all done.
- Godzilla Threshold: Lyta doesn't want to do a deep scan on Garibaldi to try and break through the P12 blocks because she could end up causing him permanent brain damage or kill him. Garibaldi points out that if she doesn't try the Resistance will kill him anyways.Garibaldi: A headache, I can live with. I don't think I'm going to get over being dead anytime soon.
- I Am X, Son of Y: While confronting the advanced destroyers, Ivanova introduces herself as the daughter of Andrei and Sofie Ivanov.
- The Last Thing You Ever See: Ivanova says this to the leader of the advanced destroyers. And she's right.
- Large Ham: Ivanova's Badass Boast. JMS would later state that he wrote this speech for her as something that would put the opposing commander entirely off his game and give Ivanova the psychological advantage.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Sheridan is having trouble remembering things by now:Michael, I was going to kick your butt for something...but I can't remember what it was.
- Like Brother and Sister: This episode brings home more than any other just how much John Sheridan and Susan Ivanova love each other.
- Mind Rape:
- Sheridan's interrogators have resorted to drugs and virtual reality to try and get Sheridan to say he's been corrupted by aliens, but he's still resisting thanks to being Touched by Vorlons.
- Lyta also disables a guard by projecting pain into his mind.
- Mission from God: Ivanova claims she's been sent by God to kick Clark's loyalists' sorry asses all the way back to Earth.
- Neutral No Longer: The different alien governments decide to stop simply providing official verbal support to Sheridan's rebellion, and to begin providing actual military support.
- Playing Both Sides: An officer aboard an Earth Force ship captured by Sheridan's forces warns Ivanova that some of the "defectors" joining Sheridan's fleet were doing this, if they weren't Fake Defectors to begin with.
- Reunion Kiss: Sheridan and Delenn, reunited for the first time since "Lines of Communication."
- Still Wearing the Old Colors: Franklin and Garibaldi don the EarthForce uniforms they haven't worn for a year and a half, in order to infiltrate the facility where Sheridan is being held. Garibaldi probably stole his from one of the guards he took down, but Franklin most likely had to get his from the Resistance or brought it with him from B5.
- Take a Moment to Catch Your Death: The White star is badly damaged, but Ivanova's squadron is victorious in destroying the Advanced Omegas. As Marcus reads off the damage report, including the systems that allow the ship to maneuver, Susan looks up to see a large chunk of debris headed right towards them. All she can do is shield her face with her arm before the debris plows straight into her White Star. She survives, but is severely wounded and in a coma. Marcus carries her to an Escape Pod before the ship explodes.
- Trap Is the Only Option: Ivanova learns of a planned ambush, and decides to take the White Stars and meet it head on ahead of the main force. Her primary goal is to destroy the Advanced Destroyers before they have a chance to attack the Earther ships in her fleet.
- Welcome Back, Traitor: Garibaldi tries to get in touch with the Mars resistance with predictable results, and he has to beg Lyta to scan him before they'll give him a chance.