Revenge of the Sequel
aka: The Revenge Of The Sequel
In many sequel names, particularly in schlock horror, the title, or sub-title
, describes some kind of return, revenge, reaction, counter-force, backlash, etc. that usually implies it's a direct consequence of one of the previous installments. The movie's tagline might even be something like "And this
time, It's Personal
Also expect "Son of _____" and "Bride of _____".
Compare There's No "B" in Movie
. Subtrope of Stock Subtitle
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Hank Braxtan's Freddy vs. Ghostbusters received a sequel, Return of the Ghostbusters.
Films — Animated
Films — Live-Action
- The Universal Horror films of the '30s and '40s may have been the Trope Codifier:
- Frankenstein was followed by Bride of Frankenstein, Son of Frankenstein, The Ghost of Frankenstein, House of Frankenstein, Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man, etc.
- Dracula was followed by Dracula's Daughter, Son of Dracula, and House of Dracula.
- The Mummy (1932) was followed by The Mummy's Hand (actually a reboot rather than a direct sequel), which itself was followed by The Mummy's Tomb, The Mummy's Ghost, and The Mummy's Curse.
- The Invisible Man was followed by The Invisible Man Returns and The Invisible Woman.
- Creature from the Black Lagoon was followed by Revenge of the Creature and The Creature Walks Among Us.
- Three out of six Star Wars movies:
- Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back. Has become so well known that nearly any movie, book, or other title with the words "strike back" in it that came after 1980 is 99% likely to be referencing this.
- Episode VI: Return of the Jedi It was originally titled Revenge of the Jedi in both posters and even the teaser trailer before Lucas changed the title a few weeks before the premier (as Jedi do not seek Revenge).
- Episode III: Revenge of the Sith...which was itself a reference to the original title of Episode VI.
- Die Hard With A Vengeance
- Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, which is of course a direct reference to Star Wars. Complete with Mark Hamill (applause).
- A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge. However, it's a Non Indicative Title, since Freddy is not getting his revenge on anyone. Nancy, the only survivor of the original film is not in this one, and she didn't even beat him then, prompting no actual revenge. There is also no hint that the kids' parents in this film were responsible for killing Freddy.
- Jack Frost 2: Revenge of the Mutant Killer Snowman
- Return of the Living Dead (a sort-of sequel to Night of the Living Dead) and its four sequels.
- The actual George Romero sequels: Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Land of the Dead, Diary of the Dead, and Survival of the Dead.
- Jaws: The Revenge
- The Return of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
- Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (the sequel to the Bay film). Justified title, as the Fallen is an actual character in the movie, seeking revenge for things that happened millenia before the first movie took place. Also a subtle play on events from the first movie.
- Revenge of The Pink Panther, The Return of the Pink Panther, The Pink Panther Strikes Again, Trail of the Pink Panther, Curse of the Pink Panther, Son of the Pink Panther.
- Porky's Revenge
- Superman Returns
- Batman Returns
- Halloweentown II: Kalabar's Revenge
- X-Men: The Last Stand
- Godzilla Raids Again
- Star Trek II was nearly named The Vengeance of Khan, but the third Star Wars movie was known at the time as Revenge of the Jedi, so they switched to calling it The Wrath of Khan.
- The Mummy Trilogy:
- Hammer Horror were never content with a Numbered Sequel. Why settle for 'Dracula III' when you can have Dracula Has Risen From The Grave! instead?
- Psycho Cop Returns
- The Return of Swamp Thing
- Return of Sabata
- Zebraman 2: Vengeful Zebra City
- Son of Kong, sequel to the original King Kong.
- Dr Phibes Rises Again, sequel to The Abominable Dr. Phibes.
- The fourth and fifth Child's Play films are entitled Bride of Chucky and Seed of Chucky.
- Bride of Re Animator and Beyond Re-Animator
- Beyond the Valley of the Dolls (1970) is a follow-up to the 1967 film Valley of the Dolls.
- Return of the Killer Tomatoes! and Killer Tomatoes Strike Back!
- G.I. Joe: Retaliation.
- C. J. Cherryh's novel The Kif Strike Back. Cherryh was shocked that her publisher took her joking suggestion seriously.
- It's worth noting that Return of the King is not an example of this trope because: 1) it's not a trilogy but the third volume of a single story, 2) the titular return is something that's been hundreds (?) of years in the making, and not a direct follow-up to the two previous installments.
- Return of the Shadow was a rejected title for The Fellowship of the Ring, and eventually turned up as the title of the sixth volume in The History of Middle-Earth, Christopher Tolkien's Making Of dodecalogy.
- The Cat in the Hat Comes Back
- Many Goosebumps books: "Return of the Mummy", "Say Cheese and Die - Again!", "Return to HorrorLand", "Return to Ghost Camp", "Return to the Carnival of Horrors", "Return to Terror Tower", "Revenge of the Body Squeezers" and "Bride of the Living Dummy". The "Goosebumps HorrorLand" series includes several non-numbered sequels, starting with "Revenge of the Living Dummy". The nineteenth (and last announced) book in the series is "Return to Chiller House", which is the last installment in a seven-book storyline.
- Arthur Conan Doyle's first collection of Sherlock Holmes stories after bringing the character back to life was titled - what else? - The Return of Sherlock Holmes.
- The final two books in Craig Shaw Gardner's Cineverse Cycle (which take place in a universe of clashing B-Movies) are called Bride of the Slime Monster and Revenge of the Fluffy Bunnies (the first is Slaves of the Volcano God).
- Parodied in-universe. Dan decides to use his new credit card to order The Ninja’s Revenge Part VII: The Last Revenge and The Ninja’s Revenge Part VIII: The Final Last Revenge on Pay-per-view.
- The illustrated collections of the Bastard Operator from Hell have volumes named "Son of the Bastard Operator From Hell" and "Bride of the BOFH".
Live Action TV
- The Quantum Leap episodes "Return of the Evil Leaper" and "Revenge of the Evil Leaper."
- Whatever Happened to The Likely Lads? is kind of a variation on this.
- Several Mr. Bean episodes: "The Return of Mr. Bean", "The Curse of Mr. Bean", "Mr. Bean Rides Again", etc.
- From How I Met Your Mother comes "Slapgiving: Revenge of the Slap".
- The second Cinemax season (third Sky1 series) of Strike Back is known as Strike Back: Vengeance in Britian.
- An in-universe example happens in Friends, when Joey mentions to have acted in a movie titled "Family Honor 2: This-a-Time-a-It's-a-Personal".
- The O.C. Supertones' second studio album was titled Supertones Strike Back, and their sixth was titled Revenge of the O.C. Supertones.
- Son of Schmilsson, Harry Nilsson's followup album to Nilsson Schmilsson.
- The Frank Zappa instrumental trilogy Shut Up 'n' Play Yer Guitar, Shut Up 'n' Play Yer Guitar Some More, and Return of the Son of Shut Up 'n' Play Yer Guitar.
- The song title Return of the Son of Monster Magnet (predating the above trilogy) parodies this trope.
- Although it's not a sequel, Genesis gave us "Return of the Giant Hogweed," in which the eponymous weed (which, in real life, is very unpleasant) comes to life and wreaks havoc.
- Burnout Revenge
- Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge
- Batman: Return of the Joker. The Sega Genesis version changes the title to Revenge of the Joker.
- Batman: Vengeance
- Boktai 3: Sabata's Counterattack
- Cybernoid II: The Revenge
- Double Dragon II: The Revenge
- Return of Double Dragon, the Japanese version of Super Double Dragon.
- The Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 expansion pack Yuri's Revenge.
- Metroid II: Return of Samus
- MOTHER2: Gyiyg Strikes Back (known as EarthBound in the U.S.)
- Wing Commander II: Vengeance of the Kilrathi
- Kirby's Return to Dream Land
- Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
- Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
- Snake's Revenge, the non-canonical NES sequel to the original Metal Gear. The title makes very little sense in context, since the plot is actually about Big Boss getting his revenge on Solid Snake for turning him into a cyborg. It becomes Hilarious in Hindsight when Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater revealed that "Snake" was originally Big Boss' codename.
- Bonk's Revenge, but what Bonk's getting revenge for is uncertain. If anything, King Drool should be getting revenge on him.
- Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge
- Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II
- Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge, which is actually about Dracula getting his revenge on Christopher.
- The PAL version of Super C is known as Probotector II: Return of the Evil Forces.
- The arcade version of Super Contra bore the tagline Erian no Gyakushu in Japan, which literally means "The Alien's Counterattack" or "The Aliens Strikes Back".
- The two Shinobi sequels for the Sega Genesis were called The Revenge of Shinobi and Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Back from the Sewers the second Game Boy game in the series.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Return of the Shredder, the Japanese version of TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist for the Genesis.
- Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge
- Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge (the first Game Boy game in the series)
- Final Fight Revenge
- Golden Axe: Revenge of the Death Adder (the arcade sequel)
- The Legend of Kyrandia III: Malcolm's Revenge
- The Nightmare Before Christmas: Oogie's Revenge
- Arkanoid: Revenge of Doh
- Donkey Kong Country Returns
- Space Quest II: Vohaul's Revenge
- In Space Quest IV, one of the time travel dates is called Space Quest XII: Vohaul's Revenge II.
- Police Quest II: The Vengeance
- Shantae: Risky's Revenge
- Re-Volt: Revange of the RC.
- Ultima II: The Revenge of the Enchantress. The Big Bad of part two is the ex-girlfriend of the Big Bad from part one.
- Frogger 2: Swampy's Revenge
- Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
- Star Wars Racer Revenge
- Hunchback II: Quasimodo's Revenge. It's not clear what Quasimodo is supposed to be taking revenge for.
- Spider-Man and the X-Men: Arcade's Revenge
- Return of the Invaders, 1985 sequel to Space Invaders
- Revenge of the Mutant Camels
- Wizardry IV: The Return of Werdna
- Dungeon Master: Chaos Strikes Back
- The Return of Ishtar, sequel to The Tower of Druaga
- Dragon's Revenge, sequel to Dragon's Fury
- Cauldron II: The Pumpkin Strikes Back
- "Pojan koston paluu" is used quite a lot in Finnish. It literally means "The return of the revenge of the son".
- Similarly, in Spain "X 2: La Venganza" (X 2: The Revenge) is basically the Spanish equivalent of Electric Boogaloo.
- Meta3: The Revenge of the Curse of the Son of Meta's Revenge Rides Again: This Time, It's Personal.
- Peter Chimera's epic Troll Fic "Digimon 2: Return of Digimon". Oddly enough, it actually fits the trope, following on from the evil scintist's plot to destory the roads.
Films — Live-Action
- Taken to the hilarious extreme and beyond by Night of the Day of the Dawn of the Son of the Bride of the Return of the Revenge of the Terror of the Attack of the Evil, Mutant, Alien, Flesh Eating, Hellbound, Zombified Living Dead Part 2: In Shocking 2-D—which isn't even a sequel in the first place. That is, it does have a sort of sequel itself: Night of the Day of the Dawn of the Son of the Bride of the Return of the Revenge of the Terror of the Attack of the Evil, Mutant, Hellbound, Flesh-Eating Subhumanoid Zombified Living Dead, Part 33.
- In Carpe Jugulum, the Old Count is writing a piece of "music" entitled Return of the Bride of the Revenge of the Son of Count Magpyr.
- A Blackadder the Third episode has the title character making sacracstic reference to "Dictionary 2: Revenge of the Killer Dictionary".
- Mr. Show had a sketch called The Return of the Curse of the Creature's Ghost - a B-Movie parody which consisted largely of the characters arguing over what it was they were supposed to be afraid of.
- How 2 Kill a Mockingbird: Return of the Revenge.
- Parodied by the Avatar: The Abridged Series guy.
- Linkara names his live shows in such a manner (e.g: Return of Atop the Fourth Wall Live, Curse of Atop the Fourth Wall Live, Son of Atop the Fourth Wall Live, etc).