Terra Cresta, or The Cresta Series is a series of Shoot 'em ups by Nichibutsu, that started with Moon Cresta in 1980.In each game, you pilot a different ship. The main thing each ship has in common is access to various power-ups that increase your firepower, but often render you more vulnerable due to the increase in the size of your ship's hitbox. However, getting a part hit will not destroy your entire ship - Just destroy that part. The drawback here is that Power-ups have to be acquired in a certain order, which can make things a little frustrating for some.
This series provides examples of:
- Combining Mecha: A Combining spaceship. Your power-ups are additional pieces of your ship, more often than not.
- Critical Existence Failure: Averted, if you have power-ups and an enemy shot hits a piece, only that piece will be destroyed.
- Endless Game: Moon Cresta and Terra Cresta
- Nintendo Hard
- Spiritual Sequel: Dangar UFO Robo. They both are by Nichibutsu, run on the same hardware, have the same art style, and involve modular protagonists.
- Unstable Equilibrium: The Power-up system is a bit unforgiving.