The first chapter in SITER SKAIN's The Tale Of Alltynex
trilogy, ALLTYNEX Second
takes place before the events of RefleX
, despite being released after both games. It is a remake
of a game for the FM Towns
Marty called ALLTYNEX
, developed by a man named Satoshi Yoshida, who later went on to form SITER SKAIN, with massively upgraded graphics
and some game design changes (the original game had power-ups
, the remake does not). The fighter the player flies has four different weapons: a vulcan spread-shot
-esque homing lasers in its fighter form, and can transform into a slower mech that has two bullet-cancelling swords and a Wave Motion Gun
. Mastering switching between the forms and knowing which weapon to use when is essential.
The story follows that mankind's defensive super-computer, ALLTYNEX, one day goes rogue and uses its control over military hardware to start waging war on humanity. In the face of its onslaught, humanity is driven off of Earth and to the very edge of the solar system. In desperation, several "superfighters" are dispatched to destroy ALLTYNEX before it destroys everyone else.
This game contains examples of:
- Alternate Dimension: ALLTYNEX only became sentient (and evil) after it was networked with seven other ALLTYNEX units in parallel universes. The unit in this universe is designated "ALLTYNEX Second", hence the name of the game.
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: An omnipresent trope in this series. ALLTYNEX itself being the primary example.
- Apocalypse How: Societal Disruption/Collapse - 85% of the human race is wiped out in 72 hours by ALLTYNEX's first assault.
- Battleship Raid: The Zoldyzant Base.
- BFS: They are twice as big as your ship and you dual-wield them.
- Boss Subtitles: Most of them are simply "Guardian Soldier", but ALLTYNEX gets "Mother Brain" and Satariel gets "Visitor from Qliphoth".
- Bullet Hell
- Call Forward: The final line of defense before ALLTYNEX is a ZODIAC: the shell of Ophiuchus, to be exact. A remix of "Raiwat Virgo" also plays during the battle. In addition, the eight Kamui fighters are mentioned in the credits, as well as the name of the scientist who invents the Phoenix MK-II.
- Cores and Turrets Boss: ALLTYNEX itself.
- Degraded Boss: ZODIAC Ophiuchus is nowhere near as powerful as the ZODIAC's seen in RefleX, but that makes sense, as Ophiuchus is lacking its core. Said core is dug up in RefleX and used to build the Phoenix MK-II.
- Difficult, But Awesome: The Advanced Ship.
- Every 10,000 Points
- Fragile Speedster: The Fighter mode. It is fast enough to avoid most enemy fire, and is capable of filling the screen with More Dakka and homing lasers, but its weapons aren't all that strong.
- Giant Space Flea from Nowhere: Satariel, the Final Boss, had basically no foreshadowing throughout the game, and only appears for the final battle to serve as a host for the fleeing, dying ALLTYNEX.
- Gratuitous English: The boss warnings. "An enemy plane of the ALLTYNEX operation system deployment model is coming close. I shift into a phase with the second battle mode. I fight back immediately and please overthrow it. A goddess of the victory smile at you."
- Harder Than Hard: The Suicide Bullet difficulity.
- Hit Stop: Killing enemies with the swords gives this effect. The game is also one of the few games that allow you to turn it on or off.
- Kill Sat: ALLTYNEX whips one out near the end of Stage 4. You, unfortunately, are not in orbit at the time, and so just have to dodge around the giant beam of death.
- Lightning Bruiser: Alacran, and being a Call Forward to Scorpio it has to be.
- Macross Missile Massacre: Sometimes launched against you, mainly because the swords are not fast enough to block large numbers of missiles.
- The advanced ship can launch these as well.
- Meaningful Name: Satariel is the name of one of the leaders of the renegade Grigori who precipitated the Nephilim disaster in the Book of Enoch.
- Mighty Glacier: Your fighter's Armor mode. It is very slow, but both its swords and giant beam weapon can cancel bullets and do huge amounts of damage.
- Nintendo Hard
- Ominous Pipe Organ: Just like the original so does the remix of "Raiwat Virgo" have these.
- One Hit Point Wonder: Not quite. The ship's Defense Shield can absorb one and only one hit, and it cannot be restored unless the player dies.
- Outside Context Villain: Satariel. In a last ditch effort to survive, ALLTYNEX yanks Satariel out of one of the parallel universes and controls it.
- Roboteching: All over the place. This time the player has roboteching homing lasers of their own.
- Shout Out: The third form of Adonis is looking strangely familiar.
- The player ship's beam weapon is apparently called the "Buster Rifle".
- Tank Goodness: Ajattara.
- Transforming Mecha: The player ship. Most bosses will also go through several transformations during battles.
- Video Game 3D Leap: The first game in the series to use 3D graphics.
- Video Game Remake: Of ALLTYNEX for the FM Towns Marty.
- Wake Up Call Boss: Ajattara.
- Wave Motion Gun: The mech form of the player's standard ship has one. Lots of bosses have them as well.