"Serve me and savor riches beyond measure...or refuse, and savor a more bitter treasure!"Revenge of the Mummy is a roller coaster/dark ride hybrid attraction that can be found at the Universal Studios parks in Florida, Hollywood, and Singapore. The ride itself is a spin-off of The Mummy Trilogy and deals with Imhotep once again breaking out of his supernatural bonds and terrorizing the riders of the attraction, ordering them to either join him or die. The storyline of the attraction varies across each version of the attraction.In Florida's version, the story is that a new Mummy film is being filmed inside the park, but due to the use of actual Egyptian artifacts in the set, Imhotep is brought to life for real.Hollywood's version is much more straightforward - with it being that the guests are entering an Egyptian tomb, where via a curse Imhotep returns once again for his revenge. Singapore's story is similar to Hollywood's, but adds in an extra bit that the riders need to find "The Book of the Living" in order to stop the evil priest.The ride first opened at Universal Studios Florida on May 21st, 2004, replacing Kongfrontation, while at the Hollywood park, it opened on June 25th, 2004, replacing E.T. Adventure. At Universal Studios Singapore, it opened on May 28th, 2011, along with the park itself.
Revenge of the Mummy provides examples of the following tropes:
open/close all folders
- Adventurer Archaeologist: The apparent role of the riders in Hollywood and Singapore's versions.
- Alternate Continuity: The ride doesn't appear to have any involvement with the first two movies.
- Ancient Egypt: The setting of the ride in Hollywood and Singapore, though in Florida it's just a film set.
- The Artifact: With the rebooting of the Mummy franchise with The Mummy (2017), the ride being based on the Brendan Frasier The Mummy movies makes it somewhat outdated.
- Big Bad: Imhotep is back in this role once again.
- Curse: In each version, there is some kind of curse that brings Imhotep back from the afterlife.
- Money Is Not Power: Imhotep promises the riders "riches beyond measure" if they agree to serve him. It doesn't work.
- New Powers as the Plot Demands: Imhotep seems to have gained some fancy new abilities this time around, like being able to plunge the riders into Egyptian Hell and back.
- Night of the Living Mooks: Imhotep seems to have some of his own here, which he uses to threaten the riders in the treasure room scene.
- Ominous Latin Chanting: Can be heard during several of the roller coaster portions.
- Revenge of the Sequel: Straightforward example, with the title being Revenge of the Mummy.
- Sensory Abuse: The roller coaster portion of the attraction features intense strobes combined with flashing images of undead spirits, while the vehicle is zooming by at 45-or-so mph.
- Title: The Adaptation: The attraction is sometimes billed as Revenge of the Mummy: The Ride.
- Your Soul Is Mine: As with the films, this is Imhotep's goal.
- All There in the Manual: the videos playing in the queue area explain the somewhat convoluted storyline. Due to guests' chatter in the queue, or using Universal Express to bypass most of the queue, however, the storyline explanation is often missed and confusion about if guests are supposed to be in Egypt or on a movie set frequently arises.
- Artifact of Doom: Imhotep ends up being reawakened due to the film crew using actual cursed Egyptian artifacts as props.
- Big "NO!": Imhotep does one right at the end, when the riders make it to the glowing Medjah symbol.
- Brick Joke: In the queue videos, Brendan Fraser sends Reggie off to go get him some coffee. At the end of the ride, he gets his coffee...from Imhotep.
- Butt-Monkey: Reggie is always being rudely mistreated by the film crew, and ultimately ends up being killed by Imhotep.
- The Cassandra: The film crew were warned by locals that disturbing Egyptian artifacts would yield serious consequences. They didn't listen, much to their mistake.
- Chekhov's Gun: The Medjah symbols are mentioned throughout the queue videos as being important for keeping evil spirits away, and that later turns out to be very much true when guests are faced with the reawakened Mummy.
- Curse Cut Short: When talking about "the curse of Imhotep", one of the crew members gets distracted before he could finish what he was going to say.Crew Member: That's all I've been hearing since I got here; "the curse of Imhotep". Some mummy with a serious bug up his...Ashley! Move that light over here...
- Jump Scare: At one point in the queue line, you can press a button that will send a blast of air at people in another part of the line. Hilarity Ensues.
- Killed Mid-Sentence: Happens to Reggie when he tries to warn the riders of Imhotep's return.
- Gainax Ending: At first, it seems like Imhotep is defeated when the Medjah is activated, but in the final scene he somehow returns to attack Brendan Fraser; making it very confusing as to what just happened.
- Mockumentary: The queue video is set up as a fake behind-the-scenes documentary of the latest Mummy film.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: Just before the coaster portion:Imhotep: Behold your fate! This is your destiny. YOUR. SOULS. ARE. MINE!!!
- Shout-Out: There's multiple references to the building's previous tenant, Kongfrontation, featuring the famed ape first in the form of a hieroglyphic on a wall in the queue line and later as a golden statue in the treasure room.
- Silence, You Fool!: Imhotep says this to Reggie as he sucks out his soul.
- Slime Ball: Brendan Fraser generally acts rude and arrogant towards the crew, Reggie in particular.
- Your Princess Is in Another Castle: Guests are made to think that the ride is over when they pull into an unloading station, but then the "ride attendant" is disintegrated into a skeleton and Imhotep reappears to send the guests into a firey pit.
- Anticlimax: The "ending" is incredibly abrupt. Just when Imhotep states that he's about to steal the guests' souls, the eclipse ends, a bright flash of light occurs, and then the vehicle pulls back into the station.
- And I Must Scream: Anyone that falls under Imhotep's curse will experience "Eternal suffering".
- Big "NO!": In the ending, Imhotep screams this with the end of the eclipse.
- Devoured by the Horde: A man that desperately attempts to inform the guests of the curse ends up getting eaten alive by a swarm of scarab beetles.
- Jump Scare: There's one with the mummy statues at the ride's exit. Hint: One of them isn't actually a statue.
- Death from Above: In the queue, a cloaked female figure warns that Imhotep will make the skies rain with fire.
- The Plague: It is promised that Imhotep will bring about a huge pestilence on all of Egypt.
- Rivers of Blood: The cloaked figure also assures that the rivers will run with blood upon Imhotep's return.
- Say My Name: The queue video primarily consists of numerous spirits saying "Imhotep" repeatedly.
- Shout-Out: There initially was a golden E.T. statue in the treasure room, but this was later removed for unknown reasons.
- Total Eclipse of the Plot: Imhotep is brought back because of an eclipse of the sun, and is vanquished again when it ends.
- Adaptation Expansion: When the attraction was cloned to Singapore, it recieved an entire "Ancient Egypt" area to go along with it, that includes a smaller family ride called Treasure Hunters, as well as a store and restaurant.
- Contrived Coincidence: The riders find the book in the exact room where Imhotep is about to plunge them into a pit.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: At the end of the ride, the eyes of Imhotep's sarcophagus glow red, further implying that he has not been completely vanquished.
- MacGuffin: The Book of the Living is the object the guests need to find in order to trap Imhotep again.
- We Will Meet Again: When Imhotep gets trapped in a sarcophagus again, he implies that he'll break free again.Imhotep: You fools! This wooden chest will never contain me! Death is only the beginning!
- You Fool!: What Imhotep says to the guests, as shown above.
"Hey, welcome back! Hope you enjoyed yourself, I would have enjoyed this interview a lot more if I HAD GOT MY CUP OF COFFEE!!!"