All Monsters Attack
(Gojira Minira Gabara Ōru Kaijū Daishingeki
), or Godzilla's Revenge
as it's more commonly known, is the tenth film in the Godzilla
series. This film was fully intended to be for children. It uses extensive stock footage of various previous movies. This movie is often the least liked by fans in general. It is the last Godzilla movie that special effects master of the series would be involved in before his death.
Rather than focusing on Godzilla, the film is the story of latchkey kid Ichiro, that between his parents being busy, school bullies, the bad neighborhood he lives near, chooses to escape his troubles by imagining himself going on adventures with Godzilla's son Minya on Monster Island. Through these journeys into imagination and watching Godzilla fight his battles and try to help his son figure out how to deal with his own bully, a warty ogre called Gabara, Ichiro learns how to stand up for himself and fight, which comes in handy when he's kidnapped by bank robbers. After outwitting them and beating his bully, the film ends with Ichiro's childhood possibly going into a better direction by having gained the respect of his peers.
This film contains examples of:
- All Just a Dream: All the monster sequences within Ichiro's imagination, which serve as life lessons for how to deal with human bullies and bandits.
- Bullying a Dragon: Really Gabara? You're gonna attack the father of the kid monster you just got your ass handed to, when said father is a capable fighter and judo throws you over his shoulder? This action also fits as Too Dumb to Live.
- Celebrity Paradox: Young Ichiro is a fan of Godzilla, as a character. This is evident of being one of Ishiro Honda's entries, meaning Honda is one himself. One must wonder how the kid feels about the first film, which is full-blown Nightmare Fuel and Tear Jerkers.
- Compilation Movie: The Monster Island scenes are almost completely comprised of stock footage outside scenes with Gabara, Minya and Ichiro's interactions and a reshot version of Godzilla teaching his son how to breath fire.
- There's also one new shot of Kamacuras when Ichiro falls into the pit.
- Extremely Short Timespan: The main storyline only takes place within less than a day of Ichiro's life.
- Never Trust a Trailer: "Godzilla's Revenge knows no limit, no end, no stopping!" The U.S. theatrical trailer promises Godzilla's supposed revenge, but...
- Non-Indicative Name: At no point does Godzilla seek any sort of revenge, making the "Godzilla's Revenge" title a little confusing.
- Shock and Awe: Gabara's primary powers
- Suddenly Voiced: Minya, who sounds like some mix of Goofy and Barney Rubble in the English dub. He was voiced by a woman in the original Japanese.