The second Castlevania game for Game Boy. You play as Christopher Belmont again, but this time, Dracula has kidnapped his son,
Belmont's Revenge provides examples of:
- Auto-Scrolling Level: The bossfight against the Skeledragon. Because of Christopher's slow walking speed, this battle easily becomes a slugfest.
- Blackout Basement: One level contains a scene in which the lights go out constantly. The quickest way to keep the lights on is to throw holy water on the ground.
- Or to not whip any candles in the room, keeping the room lit.
- Bowdlerise: The English version replaced the song names to generic BGM # names because of Nintendo of America's censorship against religion.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Soleiyu Belmont
- Difficulty by Region: The Boomerang Cross is only in the Japanese version while the Axe is only in the American version. Which version is easier may therefore be a matter of opinion.
- Additionally, some of the items hidden in walls are different depending on the region.
- Dual Boss: Plant Castle and Cloud Castle bosses.
- Hailfire Peaks: A couple of the Castles mix and match level settings.
- Easy Levels, Hard Bosses: Unlike the predecessor, Bosses are typically harder than the levels themselves.
- Kaizo Trap: In the Plant Castle, standing under the defeated bosses for too long results in the only obstacle in the game to One-Hit Kill you.
- Man on Fire: Flame Knights walk back and forth.
- Meaningful Name: Soleil is the French word for "sun." Becomes a clever Mythology Gag when you remember the famous line from Castlevania II: Simon's Quest: "The morning sun has vanquished the horrible night."
- Puzzle Boss: Dracula is kinda this in this game; because all of his movements are predetermined, the battle will always play out the same, and the player only has to seek out the safe spots where he can't be hit by Dracula's Sphere of Destruction move.
- Revenge of the Sequel
- Shed Armor, Gain Speed: The Iron Doll boss does this when damaged enough.
- Spike Balls of Doom: In Cloud Castle, there are a couple Spike Ball traps that hurt Christopher.
- Temporary Platform: Some portions of the game have platforms that deteriorate for every moment Christopher stands on it. Take too long and it collapses.