Son of Dracula is a 1943 horror film by Universal and the second sequel to Bela Lugosi's Dracula. It abandons the continuity from the last two films and takes its cues from the original Bram Stoker story.Set around New Orleans, the film opens with certain Count Alucard (Lon Chaney, Jr.) arriving at the Dark Oaks plantation. He was invited by one Katherine Caldwell, who plans to become immortal with his help...The next Universal film to feature Count Dracula would be the Monster Mash House of Frankenstein.
This film features the examples of:
- Expy: Prof. Lazlo is the foreign replacement for Prof. Van Helsing.
- Femme Fatale: Katherine is a pretty ruthless example. She would even screw over the Prince of Darkness himself to achieve her selfish goals!
- Immortality Immorality: Katherine, who has thanatophobia (a fear of death), wants to turn Frank and herself into vampires so they could live forever.
- Immune to Bullets: When Frank tries to shoot Dracula, his bullets go through him and hit Katherine, who is behind him.
- Leitmotif: Dracula has his own whenever he appears.
- Non-Indicative Name: It is not actually stated that the Dracula in question is the original's son; he might be the count himself.
- At one point Prof. Lazlo speculates that Alucard is a decendant of Dracula.
- Not Using The V Word: Vampires don't like to be called such. They prefer "Immortal".
- Our Vampires Are Different: If they are hit by sunlight, they turn into skeletons.
- Staking the Loved One: Frank burns Katherine's sleeping corpse in the end.
- The Starscream: Katherine has planned from the beginning to let Alucard vampirize her, then have Frank kill him — then vampirize Frank.
- Super Smoke: Vampires can turn themselves into mist in this film.
- Swamps Are Evil: Dracula hides in the bayou.
- Til Murder Do Us Part: Katherine plans to get rid of Dracula after they get married.
- Villainous Breakdown: Dracula upon realizing that Frank has burned his grave.
- Voluntary Shape Shifting: This is the first vampire film to have onscreen bat-transformations.
- Waking Up at the Morgue: Katherine, when her body is moved there.
- The X of Y