Video Game: Batman: Vengeance
Batman Vengeance is a 2001 video game for the PlayStation 2, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo Gamecube, and Xbox. Its characters are based from The New Batman Adventures.
- Badass in Distress: Batman rescues Batgirl from Ivy's thug in one level.
- Big Bad: The Joker.
- Big "NO!": Harley does this in a high-pitched scream after the Joker falls to his apparent death.
- Blasting It out of Their Hands: Batman can do this to an armed mook via a well-placed batarang. Wait too long to engage him afterwards, though and he'll literally pull a new gun out of his ass.
- Bound and Gagged: Mary Flynn (actually a disguised Harley Quinn) at the beginning of the game.
- The Chessmaster: The Joker manages to play the rest of the villains, and even Batman like a finely-tuned Stradivarius.
- Clear My Name
- Combat Tentacles: Combat vines, but the effect is the same.
- Coat, Hat, Mask: Ivy's thug employs this with Bandaged Face standing in for a mask.
- Continuity Nod: The Joker provides one while clinging to a ledge.Joker: Seems like old times, eh, Bats? You, me, a vat of chemicals?
- Disney Villain Death: Averted. It is revealed that Joker has faked his death.
- Driven to Suicide/Together in Death: Harley attempts this by jumping off the cliff after the Joker; but Batman can defy this.
- Drop the Hammer: Harley's specialty.
- Evil Gloating: The Joker takes time to smugly monologue to Batman about his master plan near the end of the game.
- Five-Bad Band:
- Free-Fall Fight: The final level involves this, combined with Save the Villain.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: The Joker tries to take Batman on this way, but when he starts to lose he pulls a knife and promptly gets taken down.
- Harmless Freezing: Practiced by Mr. Freeze. Taken to the extreme when Batman must rescue Freeze's flash-frozen victims by punching them until the ice breaks.
- Joker Immunity: Turned on its head. Joker attempts to revoke his own Joker Immunity by killing himself. Only your saving him will prevent a Non Standard Game Over.
- Justified Tutorial: The training simulation Batman runs in the Batcave functions at this.
- Manipulative Bastard: Joker, considering the fact that Batman is manipulated into furthering his plan.
- Mission Control: Batgirl.
- Monster Clown: The Joker. Who else?
- Mythology Gag: Batgirl's role as Mission Control and exposition provider brings to mind her persona as Oracle in the comics.
- Non-Lethal K.O.: Being that Batman never uses deadly force, he must either cuff or tie up defeated enemies, lest they get back up and attack him again.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: Joker stops Harley mid-hammer swing for this reason.Joker: "You're supposed to be my hench-wench. Less wench, more hench, you molly-coddling little twit! Nobody kills the Bat but me!"
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Harley Quinn as Mary Flynn. Even Batman falls for it.
- Plant People: Ivy employs some as Mooks.
- Punch Clock Villain: The Joker's henchmen, who complain in an early cutscene about their low salaries, considering they are expected to be fighting Batman.Thug: I mean, when we was working for The Penguin, we was gettin' benefits and a 401k."
- Rhymes on a Dime: Some of the Joker's clues are mostly this. Example:"Mix and match the chemical dyes:
A chemistry lesson, a roll of the dice.
My two favorite colors are worth a try,
But too much mixing, and everyone dies!"
- Sadistic Choice: The Joker offers Batman the choice to either defeat him or save the little boy (Toby Flynn) before dropping the boy from the wrecking ball. Batman saves "Toby", but it's too bad that the "boy" is a dummy set up by none other than Harley Quinn.
- Save the Villain: The final battle involves Batman and the Joker in free fall as the Joker throws everything he has to prevent Batman from saving him. Death is not a substitute for justice.
- Shock and Awe: Electric Batarangs. They're a One-Hit Kill against Poison Ivy's, ah, hench-plants.
- Shout-Out: The Joker tells Batman that Prometheum and Joker Toxin are "two great deaths that kill great together," a nod to Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.
- Smoke Out: Batman carries a supply of smoke pellets for this purpose.
- Unobtainium: Prometheum, a formula that's used in cryogenics but catches fire easily. For whatever reason, Mr. Freeze is very upset about it.
- You Are Too Late: At the start of the climax in the blimp, the Joker says this to Batman before adding that he has set the auto-pilot to make "a laugh-tastic landing in the heart of Gotham".
- You're Insane!: An example where it's not said to a villain.Batman: Any evidence that Mary could come up with five million dollars?Batgirl: No way. That's insane.Batman: Joker's insane, but not stupid.