Lets Play / Let's Drown Out
In March 2012, Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw
started a series of Let's Plays with his friend Gabriel Morton
, featuring games from their collective childhoods on his YouTube channel
. Yahtzee and Gabriel alternate LP duties each game, with Yahtzee starting it off with Fantasy World Dizzy
. Prior to the Flashback
video, the videos were pre-recorded and, starting with Quake 2
, they were labelled as "Let's Drown Out", which starts as a standard Let's Play of a game that's uninteresting to look at before they get bored talking about the game and instead goes through a list of podcast-style topics, which is what some of their past videos turned into anyway. The games drowned out tend to be older games that haven't aged well more often than not, but they do sometimes play boring modern games or an action-packed game made boring via stipulations, though that does not seem to work much with some of them.
In 2015 they started "The Ego Review", where Gabe plays through one of Yahtzee's old games. It alternates weekly with "Let's Drown Out". Later in 2015, they started to do a whole "Let's Drown Out All Of Dark Souls 2
," which has them let's playing all of Dark Souls 2.
It concluded in January 2016, and they have now decided to do a whole Let's Play of Half-Life soon afterward.
In 2016, Yahtzee announced the series would end due to his move to America. The first of a two-part finale, a play-through of Portal 2
Co-Op, went up on August 21, 2016, and the second a week later on August 27. Yahtzee has commented that he is considering doing a Sequel Series
, if he can find the right co-host in America.LPs will contain crude humor.
Note: this page includes all LPs done by Yahtzee and Gabriel, even those that aren't referred to as Let's Drown Out
Let's Drown Out provide examples of:
- Accentuate the Negative: In 'Let's Drown Out Grand Theft Auto', Gabriel stated that he did not trust Yahtzee's Zero Punctuation reviews due to its cynical nature, which Yahtzee admitted that it was a bit of an exaggeration and stated that he likes Wolfenstein: The New Order to prove said statement.
- A Good Name for a Rock Band: after Yahtzee and Gabriel briefly riffed on the name of the alien in Quake 2, 'The Stroggs', they made a brief joke in that The Stroggs were a punk rock band from west of England.
- Alien Blood: When Yahtzee explained that the plot of Aquanox 2 is revolved around horseshoe crabs, Gabriel waffled of the importance of them, specifically their blood. It is 'milky, kinda blue' and based around cobalt. It is used to test for blood borne pathogens because it reacted violently in any presence of infections.
- Alternate Aesop Interpretation: Discussed in-universe in regards of how people interpret The Path of depicting rape and Gabriel went on a tangent of how to properly handle interpretation, that is, there is no right 'singular' interpretation, one would just have to make their own interpretation along with an argument, to each their own.
- Spoof Aesop: Yahtzee then went on to conclude that The Path's message was that women should never leave home because everything and everyone in the world is out to kill and/or rape you.
- Ambiguous Disorder: Given some bizarre choices that are made all through Future Wars, Yahtzee always worked under the assumption that the nameless protagonist has some sort of mental disability. And that the female sidekick is a robot.
- Also Yahtzee himself, who Gabe refers to as a "vaguely-autistic shut-in nutbar."
- Analogy Backfire:
- See the 'Let's Drown Out Hexen: Beyond Heretic' part in the Companion Cube entry below. Gabriel lampshaded just how long Yahtzee's metaphors were just to tell Gabriel not to cough on the microphone.
- When Yahtzee belittled Smash TV for being 'another dual joystick top-down shoot-em-up', Gabriel compared the game to John Carter, to which Yahtzee jokingly replied that the game is 'expensive and shit and nobody watches it', then Gabriel waffled on about how it is the trope codifier for its genre, forcing Yahtzee to subvert the trope as he already knows why it was compared like that.
- Artificial Stupidity: In 'Let's Drown Out Euro Truck Simulator', Gabriel observed that the floors under the table were dusty and wondered what Yahtzee's Roomba was doing, to which Yahtzee explained that it does not navigate the tables properly, as the rest of the floor is clean, then Gabriel lamented on about how little machines always miss out bits.
- Artistic License – Physics:
- In 'Let's Drown Out Minecraft', Yahtzee exploited the wonky Minecraft physics to build an extension to his version of Rapture, such as using ladders to stop water from flooding into his underwater base.
- Displayed in GTA: San Andreas when Gabriel 'jumps' out of the water as if he was standing on solid ground.
- Artistic Stimulation: In 'Let's Drown Out Smash TV', Yahtzee wanted to try out a variety of hallucinogenic drugs because artists of the past have used it and it became the ultimate inspiration for their work and Yahtzee have been curious about it.
- Ascended Fanon: Discussed in-universe in 'Let's Drown Out Euro Truck Simulator' regarding Disney rejecting the expanded universe since they wanted to surprise the audience without picking up the old plot points the EU books created, which Gabriel heard that some of them were really good. Then they went on about the pros and cons of fanon and the comparison to Doctor Who's own expanded universe, etc.
- Asexuality: Discussed in 'Let's Drown Out Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood' where Gabriel wanted to become asexual because he thinks sexual orientation in general is retarded and thinking of ways to produce asexually so that he could be asexual, which Yahtzee argued that he would become an emotionless robot. Also, remember that Creator Breakdown at the end of the Zero Punctuation review on The Sims 3 where Yahtzee declared that he does not need women? Yeah, as it was revealed in the Let's Drown Out, it turns out that the reason why Yahtzee took that attitude is because he had just broken up with his girlfriend and had topped off his sex drive. It did not last long.
- Ask a Stupid Question...: When Oregon Trail asked Yahtzee if he wanted to look around the Kansas River crossing;
Yahtzee: No, we're going to cover our eyes and just drive straight in.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: One of Yahtzee's main gripes with Gabriel is that Gabriel tends to start a sentence, then get distracted by the game and then never get around to finishing the sentence unless Yahtzee reminds him.
- Author Avatar: This could be said for all of Yahtzee's protagonist across his early works, as noted by Gabriel and Yahtzee himself, as all of them have some elements of being sarcastic, snarky and cynical.
- Awesome Mc Coolname:
- In 'Let's Drown Out Euro Truck Simulator', Yahtzee named his Roomba 'Sodbury' because it sounds like a good name for a butler, which is how Yahtzee treated his Roomba.
- However, probably a subversion given that "sod" is a British swear (as in "sod off", or being a sod).
- As revealed in 'Let's Drown Out Ghostship Aftermath', the reason why Yahtzee picked his nickname solely because it sounds cool and has been his internet handle for a long while, he did not even play the game it was originally named after till recently.
- Babysitter from Hell: In 'Let's Drown Out Silent Hill'.
Yahtzee(upon seeing Cheryl running away): Get back here you little bitch! I'm not through smacking you about!
Gabriel: (chuckles) Yahtzee Croshaw's available to babysit...Yahtzee Croshaw's back of the hand babysitting service!
- Bad Liar: Discussed in 'Let's Drown Out Condemned: Criminal Origins' where Yahtzee's main gripe with the truth/lie system in LA Noire is that the character was animated with real life actors and if the actors were to act like they were lying, they made themselves an obvious liar.
- Bait-and-Switch: Used in a couple of videos as introduction, sung by Yahtzee:
- In 'Let's Drown Out Wonderboy 3'
- In 'Let's Drown Out Ghostship Aftermath:
- Gabriel then took it a step further by subverting the trend in 'Let's Drown Out Keen Dreams".
Yahtzee: But the idea is you subvert the song!
Gabriel: I like that song.
- Then Gabriel took it up to the next level by accidentally averted the trend by doing his own introduction on 'Let's Drown Out Condemned: Criminal Origins' after several seconds of silence while Yahtzee was trying to think up of a song to sing and subvert.
- Things seems to be back on track by 'Let's Drown Out The Path' when Yahtzee sang Man, I Feel Like A Woman.
Yahtzee: Get in the action!/Feel the attraction!/Colour my hair, do what I dare/ough uaugh uh ogh/I wanted to feel the way I feel/Man, I feel like a[normal voice] corn beef sandwich.
- In 'Let's Drown Out Oregon Trail', Yahtzee told a joke about a deer he shot;
Yahtzee: What do you call a deer with no eyes who walks in front of my gun? FUCKING DEAD.
- Ban on Politics: Averted in later episodes where they talk about their opinions on gaming "controversies", internet movements, and so on quite openly. Interestingly they seem to mildly disagree with each other since Yahtzee claims to lean slightly anti-SJW ("Social Justice Warrior") whereas Gabriel seems to lean slightly in favor of them. Both denounce the extremes and generally dislike labels however.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: In 'Let's Drown Out Hexen: Beyond Heretic', Gabriel talked about how the original Dungeon Keeper was great and everyone wants to see its sequel after Dungeon Keeper 2 was out, then came EA's Dungeon Keeper iOS with all of its micropayments 'glory'.
- Benevolent Architecture: Lampshaded by Gabriel during 'Let's Drown Out Wonderboy III' when the boxes(which was somehow glued onto the ceiling, how and why) fall into a perfect 4 sets of stairs for Gabriel to hop on and escape the collapsing castle.
- Bigger on the Inside: In 'Let's Drown Out The Path', Yahtzee have commented that the grandma's house seems to be much bigger on the inside, with all those interior decorating.
- Blessed with Suck: Yahtzee and Gabriel tried to drown out games that were more interesting to watch by placing boring stipulations on them. Turns out, some of the games were too fun to be drowned out, which was not what the duo intended but still got a good laugh out of it.
- Bloodier and Gorier: Yahtzee picked Doom 2 for the Let's Drown Out series with a bloodier and gorier Brutal Doom mod and invincibility cheats turned on so that it will become boring over time to keep in the theme of boring games.
- It didn't work. Gabe remains audibly amused by on-screen happenings through the end of the video.
- Blowing a Raspberry: In Let's Drown Out FTL, after Yahtzee announced that the LDO series will be less structured from then on and even implied that they might not answer any Q&A, he blew a raspberry to mock the viewer for their want of an answer.
- Book Ends: 'Let's Drown Out Night Shift' begins and ends with Yahtzee, using the Commodore 64 programs, to print 'Gabriel is a nob', complete with Gabriel questioning why there was no 'k' in the nob.
- Brain Uploading: Discussed in 'Let's Drown Out Euro Truck Simulator' while talking about the universe of James Camaron's avatar, specifically the spiritual part where if one dies, its brain will be uploaded into a biosphere, which Gabriel find interesting. Yahtzee then imagined if a life would suffer agonizing horrors while being uploaded and being tormented by the planet.
- Bread, Eggs, Breaded Eggs:
- In 'Let's Drown Out The Sims 3' Gabriel believes that the NPC 'Jack Bunch' would have loads of jokes about Asians and women... and Asian women.
- In the same video, Gabriel mentioned that Yahtzee loves puppies, sweet breakfast like pancakes...and sweet puppies, which Yahtzee would rather smoosh them into his face rather than eating them.
- Yet another example from the same video, after explaining that the gold coin icon in some of the buy mode items, showing one of the many shitty example of EA's micropayments, then proceeded to sarcastically thanks EA for it, then thanks Obama, then thanks EAbama.
- In 'Let's Drown Out Aliens 3', while they were talking about the late H. R. Giger's questionable design, Gabriel briefly listed the things he created, like pipes surrounding a woman's face, twisting pipes, snake pipes and pipes that became other faces.
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: In the beginning of 'Let's Drown Out Brutal Doom', Yahtzee introduced the mod by highlighting its good points: you can look around smoothly and efficiently, new sound effects and new animations. Then Yahtzee went quiet to demonstrate the best part of the mod by chainsawing 5 guys into gibs and blood.
- Brief Accent Imitation: Often shows up when Yahtzee brings out his self-admittedly unconvincing Oop North accent, usually for the purpose of providing dialogue for a farmer.
- Also does an Oop North accent in FTL when he was temporarily sacked as the 1st mate.
- Busman's Holiday: Discussed in 'Let's Drown Out Euro Truck Simulator' in that Gabriel could not see how truck drivers, whose jobs are grueling, long and take them away from their families, would want to play a truck simulator on their off-days while Yahtzee used his dad as a successful example of this trope in that his dad used to be a train engineer and when he retired he played with toy train sets as a hobby, hence why Yahtzee sometimes refers to simulators and creative games as 'dad games'.
- Call-Back: In 'Let's Drown Out Grand Theft Auto, after Gabriel stole a bike, he joked that maybe he should do a biking tour in the game, in reference of the tour in 'Let's Drown Out GTA: San Andreas'.
- Can't Live With Them, Can't Live Without Them: In regards to Peter Molyneux, as Yahtzee explained in 'Let's Drown Out WWF No Mercy', while Peter did make bad games like Fable 3, Yahtzee also acknowledged his success in past games like the original Syndicate and the original Dungeon Keeper
- Yahtzee occasionally professes his disdain for Gabriel's generally conciliatory attitudes and pro-social impulses, but admits that without him he "tends to panic" and doesn't have much of interest to say. Gabriel, for his part, often criticizes Yahtzee for being unnecessarily negative and misanthropic, but genuinely enjoys their banter and arguments.
- Captain Obvious: In Let's Play Normality, when Gabriel commanded his player character to look at the door, he said "It's a door." which Yahtzee bring up this gripe about protagonists in adventure games saying the obvious things when they examine something when Yahtzee already knows what it is and he only wants to know an additional insight.
- Child Hater: Yahtzee, of course, and as it turns out, in 'Let's Drown Out Viscera Cleanup Detail', he even hated himself when he was a child.
- Cleanup Crew: Yahtzee plays a lone wolf version of this trope in 'Let's Drown Out Viscera Cleanup Detail' in which he's cleaning up a disaster concerning aliens, humans and ludicrous gibs and a corporation had hired him to dispose of the evidences.
- Companion Cube:
- In 'Let's Drown Out Hexen: Beyond Heretic', when Yahtzee told Gabriel not to cough into the microphone, he told him to pretend that the microphone is a person and that Gabriel coughed on another person's face. Gabriel commented that the human was sitting strangely close to him, then Yahtzee changed the analogy to alien and part of their culture does not have the same sense of personal space as we do. Gabriel countered the point by lying that coughing is a compliment in our culture, then Yahtzee pointed out the consequence that it would catch human diseases and die from it. So Gabriel asked what was the alien doing on Earth with no protection if they have such an aversion to diseases, which Yahtzee lazily explained that they were naive, which Gabriel pointed out that they wouldn't care if he coughed on them then. Yahtzee just gave up and straight told Gabriel to not cough into the mic again.
- In 'Let's Drown Out Euro Truck Simulator 2', Gabriel stated that Yahtzee bought a Roomba since he can't buy a dog due to him living in an apartment which is unsuitable with dogs and a Roomba is a next best thing. Yahtzee even gave it a name, 'Sodbury', so that he could treat it like a butler.
- Comically Missing the Point: In 'Let's Drown Out GTA San Andreas', Yahtzee was mad that Gabriel did not come the week before because he was busy setting up a local fighting tournament, whereupon Gabriel waffles on to his former OCD tendency of counting syllables before he speaks. Yahtzee then asks how many syllables there is in his next sentence.
Yahtzee: Gabriel, YOU ARE A FAT ARSE!
- Cool Uncle: In 'Let's Drown Out Viscera Cleanup Detail', Gabriel describes Nintendo as this compared to Microsoft and Sony who tend to play safe in the gaming industry while Nintendo is always trying to pull crazy shit.
- Crazy Cat Lady: In 'Let's Play Normality', Yahtzee told a story of his first house he lives in Australia which he shared with 3 women, one of which Yahtzee predicted to be a crazy cat lady in the future, because she refers to her two cats as her 'babies'.
- Crazy Enough to Work:
- In 'Let's Drown out hexen: Beyond Heretic', because of the game's weird way of looking up and down, moving the mouse also moves the character, combined that and the fact that you slip a bit after landing a jump, jumping puzzles were a bit of an ass to complete in this game. Yahtzee thought that if he did not touch the mouse at all and used WASD to move and the direction keys to turn he could make the puzzle easier for himself. Subverted right as he took the first jump and fall to his doom.
Gabriel: That's just crazy enough to completely not work.
- According to Yahtzee's American girlfriend's experience, caulking a wagon and float it across in Oregon Trail never works. Nevertheless, Yahtzee go for it anyway and it worked.
- Darker and Edgier:
- Nearing the end of 'Let's Drown Out The Sims 3' after Yahtzee 'accidentally' names his Sim!Yahtzee's first book 'Tits', he is reminded that there were 2 games named 'Blood' and 'Gore'. Yahtzee and Gabriel wonder if that they could invoke this trope in the next episode by finding a game named 'Tits' so that they could play Blood, gore and Tits in a row.
- Discussed in 'Let's Drown Out Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas' alongside Denser and Wackier about the competition between Saints Row 2 and Grand Theft Auto IV, with Saints Row 2, in Yahtzee's opinion, taking the crown of crime sandbox while GTA4 underperformed due to its downer atmosphere, despite having a good player character depth.
- Dastardly Whiplash: After revealing news where EA complains that the gamers weren't ready for 'too much innovation' for inputting crappy micropayments in Dungeon Keeper on iOS in 'Let's Drown Out Proteus', Yahtzee and Gabriel, at that point, see them as this trope because they are acting so cartoonishly evil and greedy nowadays.
- Department of Redundancy Department: Gabriel accidentally invokes the trope in 'Let's Drown Out GTA San Andreas' when he said RPGE elements to describe the gameplay of the San Andreas when the E part is already elements so in full form he really said 'Role Playing Games Elements elements'.
- Designated Hero: This is how Yahtzee and Gabriel viewed the protagonist of Normality. Right off the bat, they viewed him as an annoying douche due to how he is dressed and his unfunny jokes being told in a Totally radical way. His morally questionable actions later in the game does not earn him any favors either.
- Did You Just Have Sex?: In Let's Drown Out WWF No Mercy, Gabriel has given Wrestler!Yahtzee a rather pompous entrance and according to him, Yahtzee does the exact same walk after he got laid.
- Dissimile: In 'Let's Drown Out Hexen: Beyond Heretic', Yahtzee and Gabriel noticed that the teleporter was different from their previous playthrough, which they were slightly amazed on that.
Yahtzee: It's like a roguelike, except not really.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Yahtzee and Gabriel had a bit of fun making fun of Phantasmagoria 2's subtitle, 'A Puzzle Of Flesh' with this trope.
- Doing It for the Art: Due to the nature of The Path, Yahtzee and Gabriel constantly invoked the trope for laughs for every vague imagery the game throws at them.
- Double Meaning: Yahtzee's random word at the end of 'Let's Drown Out Fight Club' is 'western', so he decided to pick Oregon Trail, where not only that the game was set in the west but also about moving to the west to Oregon.
- Do Not Call Me "Paul": In the beginning of 'Let's Drown Out Silent Hill', after Yahtzee's prediction that Gabriel will somehow screw up the intro was proven wrong, the latter asked how and assumed immediately that he might call him Benjamin, Yahtzee's real name. Gabriel then insisted the viewer call him Benjamin. Yahtzee later explained in 'Let's Drown Out Ghostship Aftermath' that he does not like fans calling him Ben because it shows that said fans were showing off how knowledgeable of Yahtzee for knowing his first name and Yahtzee does not like that.
- Don't Ask: In 'Let's Drown Out Phantasmagoria 2', Yahtzee recognises out loud one of the names in the credits, Monique Parent, as a softcore porn actress, then tells Gabriel not to ask about how he knew that. Then it's subverted when Gabriel really does ask for it and Yahtzee meekly answers that he found it out through lonely searching of the web.
- Double Entendre:
- In 'Let's Drown Out Minecraft', after Gabriel declines Yahtzee's offer of playing Minecraft and says that he has enough games in the anal game corner:
Yahtzee: I think we all have our weird anal corners, Gabe... At least that's what my last prison bunk mate found out.
- In 'Let's Drown Out Hexen: Beyond Heretic', after reloading the save file named 'Buttocks' multiple times for a jumping puzzle with wonky controls:
Yahtzee: That buttock is getting a lot of use today.
- Easy-Mode Mockery: Yahtzee mocked Gabriel for being a girl briefly for playing Keen Dreams on easy mode.
- Embarrassing Nickname: As revealed in 'Let's Drown Out Hexen: Beyond Heretic', apparently Yahtzee's nickname in high school is 'Bent Crowbar'.
- Everyone Is Gay: Yahtzee theorized that everyone is a burly gay man in Yahtzee's Minecraft version of Rapture, since he thinks 'men' sounds more homoerotic than 'man' in his slight misquote "No Gods or Kings, only Men", with the original quote being "No Gods or Kings, Only Man".
- Exact Words:
- In 'Let's Drown Out Proteus', Yahtzee asks Gabriel "Did you hire a prostitute, yes or no?" and the latter replies "no". He then proceeds to mention the time his friend took him to a brothel...and then clarifies that while he DID have a session with a prostitute, his friend paid for it, so he never actually HIRED one.
- In the same video, Yahtzee tells a story about how jaffa cakes were officially classified as a cake instead of a chocolate covered biscuit; as chocolate covered biscuits back then were classified as a luxury item, which requires a VAT license, while biscuits and cakes were not. The owner of jaffa cakes got around it by making an appeal that it is a cake instead of a chocolate covered biscuit by saying that cake goes hard when gone stale and biscuits go soft. When the discovery was made Jaffa cakes do indeed go hard, the court agreed that it is technically a cake and classify it as so. Gabriel loves it when cases like this happen and tells a story of how X-Men figurines got around the tax that human figurines cost more than non-human and since the X-Men are not technically human, they managed to dodge it.
- Executive Meddling: In 'Let's Drown Out Minecraft', Yahtzee and Gabriel discussed it in-universe by talking about how Disney is now controlling the Marvel and Star Wars franchises. On one hand, they have shut off all online distribution of the Marvel games, on the other hand, Gabriel has expressed relief that Disney had taken creative control away from Lucas so that they can actually make a Star Wars movie and allowing the rest of the franchise more creativity.
- Extra! Extra! Read All About It!: In 'Let's Drown Out Sims 3', Sim!Yahtzee got a job as a paper boy, including a very embarrassing uniform to go along with it, then Gabriel briefly roleplayed both as a paper boy and a gullible reader to extend the Hideo Kojima joke.
"Extra!Extra! Read all about it! Kojima disappointed that he didn't write Breaking Bad!"
"What? Give me that! Hey, this is bullshit!"
- Freudian Excuse: In 'Let's Drown Out WWF No Mercy', Yahtzee revealed that the very reason why he does not like pro wrestling was because (as a child) his friends had gotten into trading collectible WWF stickers and alienated him from their social groups.
Gabriel(in summary of said excuse): WRESTLERS TOOK MY FRIENDS!
- Fix It in Post: Yahtzee and Gabriel said the trope name exactly when they were figuring out which picture to put to end off 'Let's Drown Out Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood'.
- "Funny Aneurysm" Moment: Invoked by Gabriel in 'Let's Drown Out WWF No Mercy', in regards to the appearance of Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit in the game and their deaths, particularly the unsightly one of the latter, in real life.
- Genuine Human Hide:
- In 'Let's Drown Out Euro Truck Simulator', when Yahtzee theorized that the woman employed in his truck driving company was actually a dude wearing a dead prostitute's face.
- In 'Let's Drown Out Aquanox 2', Yahtzee jokingly misinterpret this bit of the into cutscene that the young protagonist have made a necklace out of his grandma's arms.
- G.I.R.L.: Discussed in 'Let's Drown Out Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood', where Yahtzee encouraged the viewer to go on a chatroom and be someone completely unlike themselves, such as a pregnant teenage black girl, to see the exciting side of roleplaying. This was also implied when Gabriel wondered about Yahtzee scamming players in World of Warcraft by pretending to be a lady.
Yahtzee: It's surprising how many people haven't figured it out.
- Giver of Lame Names: In Let's Drown Out Oregon Trail, Yahtzee reckoned that the guy named the 'Big Blue River' is also the guy who named the 'Rocky Mountain'.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: As revealed in 'Let's Drown Out Smash TV, Gabriel did this when he took a too large dose of magic mushrooms, went outside, looked up to the stars and realised (with the protective influence of his own ego removed by the mushrooms) how small and insignificant humanity is compared to the rest of the universe.
- Groin Attack: This is one of the reversals for Wrestler!Yahtzee in 'Let's Drown Out WWF No Mercy', complete with the actual sound of a bell being played with each hit and an instant playback.
- HAHAHA–No: This is Yahtzee's response for every job Sim!Yahtzee has found that is not in the journalism industry, with the exact number of 'Ha' with every rejection.
- Heh Heh, You Said "X": In Let's Drown Out Ghostbusters:
Gabriel:(talking about Peter Molyneux admitting that Fable 3 was 'a trainwreck') Here's the problem: he's become self-aware but he's just going hyperbolically in the other direction-
Yahtzee: Hah! You said bollock!
- Happiness in Slavery: In 'Let's Drown Out Minecraft', Gabriel mentions that he once saw a self-published self-help book with the author thinking that The Matrix is actually a documentary. While Yahtzee and Gabriel found it absurd, they understand that some people would rather have an intelligence in charge rather than pure chaos, even if it's an asshole.
- Hookers and Blow: In 'Let's Drown Out Proteus', Gabriel tells a story about how he did not want to go to a brothel unless there was cocaine, because coke and hookers go well together according to him. Sure enough, one of his friend got a 10k bonus from work, went up to Gabe with a bag of coke and they went to a brothel together.
- Human Resources: In 'Let's Drown Out Oregon Trail', Gabriel bring up an idea that the children should use each other as clothing, for example, kid A uses kid B as a jacket for a month, just to skimp on the clothes.
- Hulk Speak: In Let's Drown Out The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, Yahtzee used this to parodied how Hulk uses car to get to places faster. With Hulk carrying the car.
- Hyperspace Arsenal: Discussed after Yahtzee picked up a grenade in Quake 2, Gabriel quickly advised him to put it away so that he won't waste it and Yahtzee, while agreeing to said advice, pointed out that you could never tell just how many of items you pick up because of this trope, like how you could pick up a grenade in Half-life and suddenly you have 5 of them.
- In Let's Drown Out Keen Dreams, Yahtzee harped on Gabriel for inputting 'dickbutts' as his name for the high score. Anyone who'd have watched Zero Punctuation knows that Yahtzee have always been a refugee in audacity when it comes to names.
- In the seventh episode of their Resident Evil 4 Drown Out, Yahtzee criticizes Final Fantasy IX (which he admits he's never played) for having a final boss who appears with no forewarning and is seemingly unrelated to the story. Yet Croshaw's own game Poacher also ends (in the best ending) with the main characters confronting a previously-unmentioned sentient cosmic force as a final capstone to their character development and the strength of their friendship, exactly like Final Fantasy IX.
- I Ate WHAT?!: In Let's Play Normality, Gabriel encountered an old man named Dai living on a scaffolding and Dai will only let Gabriel's player character down if Gabriel give him milk coffee. Instead, Gabriel proposed that he shits in the cup, calls it coffee and give it to Dai. The actual solution to the puzzle is to use the coffee cup on the kettle and then mix it with paint to simulate milk. Gabriel then commented that the player character would do much worse things later in the game.
- I Know Mortal Kombat: In 'Let's Drown Out Minecraft', Gabriel tells a story that he once annoyed his DJ wannabe friend by deliberately being ignorant and bragging that, since he can play DJ Hero on extra hard, he has more knowledge on how to DJ.
- Inherently Funny Words: Nearing the end of the Let’s Play Normality, we discovered one for Yahtzee, “boobie boobie bum bum''. It makes him laugh so hard he cries.
- In Let's Drown Out Euro Truck Simulator 2, Yahtzee reveals he named his Roomba because his apartment complex doesn't allow dogs (which he'd love to have) and buying a floor cleaning robot was the next best option. Gabe giggles childishly upon hearing that Yahtzee named it Sodbury.
- Insane Troll Logic: Joked about in 'Let's Drown Out Brutal Doom', where Yahtzee bitches about not getting a cake from Gabriel on his birthday, which puzzles Gabriel since he technically lives below the poverty line and does not see why he was obligated to do so. Yahtzee then used one of the teachings of Jesus (strange in its own right, considering how Yahtzee is an atheist) where one should not sacrifice for the benefit of the other but for thyself and then makes the conclusion that Gabriel was doing himself a disservice by not buying a cake for Yahtzee.
- Improvised Weapon: Taken to the level of toilet audacity in 'Let's Drown Out Condemned: Criminal Origins' when Gabriel thought of a literal way to commit a dirty crime and came up with an idea of freezing a turd, then use it to shank a victim, then the murder weapon would melt away, leaving a mess, not an evidence.
- It Is Pronounced "Tro-PAY":
- In 'Let's Drown Out Wonderboy III', people have noticed that Gabriel pronounced Sega as 'see-ga' instead of the official pronunciation of 'say-ga'. Gabriel justify it in 'Let's Drown Out Ghostship Aftermath' that Austrialia's marketing team back when Sega Masters System was new(which does not have the Sega intro that Genesis/Mega Drive had) pronounced it as 'see-ga' and Gabriel does not want to change how it was pronounced because he had been saying it for so long, then further justifying the point by asking Yahtzee how he pronounced 'gif', which he answered 'giff' with a hard G, despite the fact that the official pronunciation is 'jiff', which adds to Gabriel's point that it's pointless to change the pronunciation have been using for so long.
- The Wonderboy 3 menu refer to the player character as hu-man, which Yahtzee and Gabriel find absurd and just roll with it with a different pronunciation by saying 'hyuu-man' and 'who-man' and when the player character is later turned into a dragon, they refer to it as 'dra-gone'.
- It's Been Done: Gabriel's original choice for 'Let's Drown Out Phantasmagoria 2' was its original game but Slowbeef and Lowtax Wrongpurae'd it first so they settle for its sequel.
- I've Never Seen Anything Like This Before: Despite been very familiar with Brutal Doom, it was the first time Yahtzee has ever seen the marine rip out an imp's intestines.
- I Was Never Here: After Yahtzee gets bored and kills several guards in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood to entertain himself, he instructs the nearby civilians that they saw nothing.
- Judo Chop: Yahtzee's bread and butter technique of knocking someone out in Thief 2. Gabriel noted that he loved the reaction to said judo chop in the back of a guard's head. Yahtzee also noted that judo is mainly a grappling martial arts, so the term 'judo chop' is way more nonsensical.
- Lampshaded Double Entendre:
- In 'Let's Drown Out Some Digitized Fighting Games', Gabriel mentioned an interesting documentary produced by Innuendo Studios about Phil Fish, then Yahtzee stopped him for a second for a joke.
Yahtzee: I bet that they Phil Fish all the time!(beat) That was an innuendo.
- In 'let's Drown Out Smash TV', while Gabriel was giving advices on how to take drugs safely, including 'do not go out' and 'do not do it alone', Yahtzee sees the 'mixed messages'.
- Lampshaded the Obscure Reference: InLet's Play Normality, when Gabriel saw a orange bouncy gym ball with a face on it at the corner of the resistance hideout, he made a reference to Monkey Dust Space Hopper, to which Yahtzee advised Gabriel to not make references no one would get, then told the viewers to search Monkey Dust on Youtube. While they did recommend watching the show, they also said it's ill-advised if the viewer is contemplating suicide.
- Laughing Mad: When asked by Yahtzee to summarise Metal Gear Solid 3's complicated story, Gabriel initially tried to think of one in his head and then he just broke out laughing, joking that he'd gone mad just thinking about it.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Discussed in 'Let's Drown Out Hexen: Beyond Heretic' when Yahtzee and Gabriel talked about their playstyle in Dark Souls, specifically against bosses. Gabriel's strategy was that, since you'll die on a new hard boss soon on your first try anyway, he might as well smack on the boss to see how much damage he's done, if he does good damage, he'll just tank the boss's damage to maximise his damage in a short time, if he gets bad damage, he'll took a tactical stance and this mindset is what won Gabriel's relatively easy battle against Pinwheel, an otherwise hard boss but with very low health, as opposed to Yahtzee's defensive stance and having a hard time with the boss.
- Leave the Camera Running: In the LP of Alex Kidd In High-Tech World, Gabriel did not edit out the part where you have to pray to God a hundred times. That scene goes on for quite a while, to Yahtzee's dismay.
- Limited Wardrobe: In 'Let's Drown Out The Sims 3', Gabriel mentions that he always wears a black bonds T-shirt and every other T-shirt he owns is a shirt that his girlfriend bought for him.
- Literal-Minded: The main gripe Yahtzee has against Gabriel was that the latter sometimes took the former's snide remarks as literal for a second and sparked a bit of a fight and it is brought up in 'Let's Drown Out Smash TV'.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: In 'Let's Drown Out Grand Theft Auto', Yahtzee explained the history of Rockstar, or DMA Design back when they made this game, at a time, its most famous game was Lemmings. Then the sequel have a huge amount of a type of lemmings one can use in the game, and Yahtzee list a few of them out in a rather droning tone.
- Loads and Loads of Loading: In the beginning of 'Let's Drown Out Night Shift', Yahtzee wanted Gabriel to experience the WHOLE LOADING TIME of a Commodore 64 game, stacked upon the fact that Night Shift has more loading than other games of its time, much to Gabriel's annoyance, till Yahtzee was done teasing Gabriel and used the emulator's warp speed to speed up the loading, which is still considerably long for Gabriel. This trope was then discussed about how it is still occurring today with modern games with the setup of Ryse: Son of Rome, in which it took 2 hours to do so.
- Ludicrous Gibs:
- Turned up to eleven in Brutal Doom, just one chainsaw and two dudes fill an entire hall with blood and giblets.
- Then, in Viscera Cleanup Detail, Yahtzee mops up the mess he made in Brutal Doom and stuffs the bits into a furnace to be burned.
- Misapplied Phlebotinum: In 'Let's Drown Out Hexen: Beyond Heretic', after Yahtzee and Gabriel hum the 'Get Smart' theme, Gabriel said that he wanted to have telepathy so that he can follow a person around all day just telepathically humming the theme all day long, which Yahtzee lampshaded that it was a rather lame waste of a power.
- Mind Screw: Curse of Enchantia is a rather weird adventure game, so weird that Gabriel, the one who is not even playing the game, slowly became mad towards the end due to it's illogical puzzles and spontaneous locations.
- Mock Surprise Reaction: Used as their intro for 'Let's Drown Out WWF No Mercy'.
Yahtzee: Oh hello, viewer, didn't see you there, because you're not in a room.
- Mood Dissonance:
- In Let's Play Normality, when the player character sneaked out of his house arrest and landed in a scaffolding, the game suddenly switched to a rather cheery music, which Yahtzee sarcastically complimented the sudden change of tone.
- Discussed in 'Let's Drown Out GTA San Andreas' about the relation between the world of Grand Theft Auto and GTA4's protaganist Niko Bellic, where both Yahtzee and Gabriel agree that he is a good character with alot of depth, if he were in a serious game and GTA is not a serious game.
- Mood Whiplash: Yahtzee pointed out the main recurrent trend in the Metal Solid games is that, while Hideo Kojima was going for a strong anti-war narratives, there are some parts of it that was completely absurd.
- Mundane Object Amazement: As with every start of a typical Sims 3 games, Sim!Yahtzee and Sim!Gabriel expressed delight at the sight of their new furniture, including a bin and a table.
- Mundane Utility:
- In Let's Drown Out Quake 2, Yahtzee sometimes used the blaster as an improv torch to light up the dark places in the game
Gabriel: I call it shooty-torch!
- Yahtzee demonstrated the fact that you can use a laser gun in Viscera Cleanup Detail to...cut up large bodies to smaller bits so that they can fit into the furnace easier.
- Muscles Are Meaningless: Debated several times throughout the whole series, where Yahtzee criticized it as useless in everyday life and does not contribute to society, not to mention Gabriel not having a job as a bouncer at the Yahtzee's bar anyway while Gabriel sees that his strength is useful than Yahtzee could imagined and it's for the sake of good health.
- Nausea Fuel: In-universe. Yahtzee pointed out that the problem with top-down perspective, which Grand Theft Auto has, is that the players won't see what's 25 feet in front of them, so the designer of the game made the game zoom out when they're in an accelerating vehicle so that they can see what's in front of them. For Gabriel, it only made it nauseating since he keeps accelerating and decelerating, making the camera zoom back and forth constantly.
- Neat Freak: Gabriel seems to be this as he mentions that he enjoys cleaning dishes and mopping in Let’s Drown Out Sims 3 and Viscera Cleanup Detail respectively, not for the trope’s conventional reason of neuroticism, but rather having the satisfaction of seeing a job done.
- Noodle Incident: In 'Let's Drown Out Euro Truck Simulator', Yahtzee took a driving test back in England, apparently he had to retake it three times, though he justify it by saying that English's test were harder.
- No OSHA Compliance: Joked briefly by Gabriel when, during Wonderboy III's intro castle collapsing and on fire, the 'fire door' was locked because that's good safety design. Then Yahtzee told a grimer story about an employer who locks his employee into an office, then when a fire ignited, everyone inside was dead
- Not Himself: After a heated argument about how one should interpret 'Game Of The Year' in Smash TV, Yahtzee picked Proteus to calm himself down to the point that his voice was calm and soothing, even with points that Gabriel waffled on about subjectivity of words and subjectiveness in general and Yahtzee refused to get riled up for a moment, Gabriel even lampshaded that, since he knows Yahtzee as a bitter grumpy man, he thinks Yahtzee was up to something. Then Yahtzee thinks he's too calm and started to bring up EA to get himself back again.
- Not So Different: In Let's Drown Out Smash TV, when Yahtzee sees the similarity between the revelation Gabriel has from his intense shroom trip(See Go Mad from the Revelation entry above) and Yahtzee's epiphany from playing World of Warcraft, Gabriel burst out laughing at such comparisons. Then Yahtzee explained that when he looked up to a huge intimidating sky when he was dead in WoW, he realized that he was a small thing in a mess that he could not understand and have realized of the enormity that was around him, similar to Gabriel's total perspective vortex.
- Odd Job Gods: In Let's Drown Out Agar.io, the couple were asked which mundane thing they'd like to be the deity of. Yahtzee would be picked being the God of Salt, and Gabe the God of Public Transport Lunatics.
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome:
- In 'Let's Drown Out Final Fight', Yahtzee and Gabriel were mad at the fact that their audio recorder died and allegedly lost some good jokes and deep discussions, in addition to Gabriel having to play the whole thing again and Yahtzee have to sit through the whole thing again.
- Apparently, during the technical difficulties in 'Let's Drown Out Assassin's Creed Brotherhood' video, Gabriel saved Yahtzee from a team of ninjas.
- Only Six Faces:
- Gabriel has expressed regret that the game they're drowning out, 'WWF No Mercy', only has 19 different preset face to give to his otherwise 'accurate' representation of Yahtzee.
- In 'Let's Drown Out Grand Theft Auto', the duo mentioned that, prior to the recording, there were several characters that you can play as but all of them has the same yellow shirt bald guy model and has no gameplay impact whatsoever.
- Parrot Exposition: Yahtzee proposed a drinking game for Metal Gear Solid 3; take a shot every time Solid Snake or Naked Snake repeat the last two words of the previous speaker's sentence.
- Pet the Dog: Literally so. In Let's Play Dink Smallwood, Yahtzee, in an unusually cute voice, talks about how that week he saw a really cute puppy at the park and proceeded to pet it until the owner showed up. The dog wanted to stay though.
Yahtzee: I really wanted a puppy. I've never met a dog I couldn't befriend in seconds.
- Political Correctness Gone Mad:
- In Let's Drown Out Ghostbusters, Yahtzee has mentioned that he had been told that calling someone 'colored' was racist, then he also heard that 'people of color' is the politically correct term, which baffled him. Gabriel told Yahtzee, and the viewers, that they should disregard political correctness and instead based the words on context to see if one is really racist or not. Then Yahtzee turned it up to eleven for laughs during his observation of the game, like when Egon turned into a mummy when he died(because that's racist) or when his glasses came off when he got hurt(because that's ableist).
- Played for laughs in the beginning of Let's Drown Out FTL to show his defiance against obligations and structures in the LDO series:
Gabriel: Suck whatever genitals you find the least appealing.
- Prison Rape: Implied jokingly in Let's Drown Out Minecraft.
- Pyrrhic Victory: In 'Let's Drown Out Oregon Trail', after Yahtzee finally managed to get his first successful hunting expedition, he can only bring back 100 pounds out of 887 pounds of rabbit and bison meat(most of the weight he theorized that it may have come from the bison's left bollocks) and Gabriel have reminded him that it took him so long and wasted so much bullets to get to that point that it might not be worth it.
- Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil: Discussed in one "Let's Drown Out", where he discussed the idea of a show that was exactly the same as Dexter only the main character was a rapist instead of a murderer.
- Reality Ensues: In Let's Drown Out Proteus, nearing the end of the first playthrough of the game, Yahtzee notices that he is rising into the air, and then muses that the game really was a metaphor of life, then predicted that he was going to fall and break his head on a rock, 'because that's life'.
- Recycled IN SPACE!: Yahtzee complained about this about Wonderboy III when a passageway looks an awful lot like the intro castle but filled with water, which Gabriel justify it by explaining that the Sega Master System reused a lot of graphics, hence the trope.
- Rube Goldberg Device: This is what Yahtzee was operating on during Night Shift in order to make Star Wars toys for Industrial Might and Logic.
- Running Gag: Breaking news: Hideo Kojima did not make a running gag in 'Let's Drown Out Sims 3' where he mocked the slow news day when a gaming news site reported that Hideo Kojima expressed regret that he did not have a chance to write Breaking Bad.
- "I JUST WANTED TO GO INTO SPAAAAAAAAAAACE!" is turning into one, since Gabriel seems to take some glee in not letting Yahtzee live down having written that line.
- Sadistic Choice: Presented by Gabriel in 'Let's Drown Out Final Fight' regarding the controversy about Poison, the mook of the game, which one is worse: beating up a woman or beating up a transexual?
- Samus Is a Girl: In 'Let's Drown Out Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood', Yahtzee said that he accidentally invoked it upon himself when, while playing Dark Souls, he goes into the coffin, not realizing that it changes the player character's gender, and only discovered that effect much later in the game when he sees that his PC was a female. It took him that long because the armor has been obscuring the gender's identity.
- Scenery Porn: One of the main appeal that Euro Truck Simulator has on Yahtzee is that it has a nice scenery while driving a truck.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: In ‘Let’s Drown Out Viscera Cleanup Detail’, Yahtzee decided to check the second floor out. After the elevator door opens and he sees massive amounts of blood and gibs all over the room, Yahtzee immediately went back down.
- Seen It All: The reason why Yahtzee picked a rather violent game of Brutal Doom with invincibility cheat turned on for the Let's Drown Out series is because unending violence would soon become boring over time.
- Sempai/Kohai: Referenced in 'Let's Drown Out Agar.io' when a ball named "Senpai" eats Yahtzee's ball:
Gabriel: You're being noticed by Senpai.
Yahtzee: Senpai noticed me, hooray!
Gabriel: He smothered you with his magnificence.
- Serious Business:
- In 'Let's Drown Out Night Shift' Yahtzee and Gabriel admitted that the things they said over the weeks have been controversial but the ones that seems to get the most attention is that Yahtzee mentioned that 30 fps looks the same or better than 60 fps, causing an outrage in the comments section.
- Gabriel's pronunciation of 'Sega' in 'Let's Drown Out Wonderboy III' was one of the more heated debate in both the 'Let's Drown Out Ghostship Aftermath' itself and the comments section below, hoo boy, it's so heated that you deep fry a chicken there, added to the fact that Yahtzee accidentally fuel the debate by how he says 'gif'.
- Sequel Number Snarl: Discussed briefly in 'Let's Drown Out Oregon Trail' in regards of Microsoft naming their next operating system 'Microsoft 10' instead of 9. Apparently, according to Yahtzee, this is because that if programs that the search of the operating system used were to search for Windows 9, they automatically think of 95 and 98 and be played in the broadest compatibility as possible.
- Sex Is Violence: Joked about in 'Let's Drown Out Brutal Doom':
Gabriel:(after Yahtzee booted an imp in pain out of its misery) Life's hard, imp, life's hard.
Yahtzee: It is if you piss me off, life gets hard pretty fucking quick...and so does my nob.
- "Shaggy Dog" Story: 'Let's Drown Out GTA San Andreas' has turned from Gabriel's relaxing bicycle tour around the map of the game with grand finale on top of a mountain to Gabriel's relentless run to the mountain top against the police for trespassing into the part of the map Yahtzee hadn't unlocked yet. Yahtzee predicted that it was going to be this trope and sang My Heart Will Go On to further drive home the point while Gabriel was looking out for cops to dodge and cars to jack and turns out Yahtzee was right.
- Shout-Out: In Lucasarts' Night Shift, Yahtzee pointed out that the name of the company his player character is working for is named 'Industrial Might and Logic', which is a pun based on Lucasarts' other work, Industrial Light And Magic, and they were producing toys based on the ever profitable Star Wars franchise.
- Squick: Invoked at least twice in 'Let's Drown Out Space Quest 3' by Yahtzee at the more gruesome death messages.
- Stiff Upper Lip: Yahtzee lampshaded this for the Wonderboy III's player character when he was turned into a dragon, the castle, while on fire, he was in was collapsing all around him and the PC just put on a stoic expression and escape the castle, while bashing baddies who gets in the way.
- Stock Parodies: Gabriel likes to briefly sing "Yackety Sax" whenever characters are moving unnaturally quickly. Examples can be found in the 'Ghostship Aftermath,' 'Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers' and 'Rise of the Triad' videos.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: In 'Let's Drown Out Condemned: Criminal Origins' where Yahtzee told of a trick one can do in LA Noire when you can accuse a person of lying and then they spouted something along with this trope and then showed them an evidence that debunked said denial, if their denial does not pertain to any item that could be an evidence, one could always back out of it.
- Technology Marches On:
- During Normality's first pre-rendered cutscene, Yahtzee jokingly commented on how 'advanced' it is, then Gabriel pointed out that he once played this game in 1999, three years after the game came out, and said that it did not age very well by then.
- In 'Let's Drown Out Condemned: Criminal Origins' when Yahtzee pointed out just how old the game was when the player character pulled out a huge cell phone.
Gabriel: Errgh, it has buttons, what the fuck? Gross.
- Testosterone Poisoning: In 'let's Drown Out Hexen: Beyond Heretic', Yahtzee allow Gabriel to pick any of the three playable characters, one of which,the 'fighter', Yahtzee observed that he looks might explode from too much testosterone any time soon. When Gabriel picked it, Yahtzee also noted that Gabriel also looked like he is going to explode, then went a step further and pretend that the fighter is Gabriel, just like the previous video, 'let's Drown Out WWF No Mercy' when Gabriel played wrestler!Yahtzee, though the roleplay in Hexen was somewhat diminished by its FPS nature.
- The Stoner: Former stoner, in the case of Gabriel, citing that it used to be rarer for him to play video games when not high. Gaming aside, Gabriel said that "I've done every form of drug short of injecting myself with heroin", and even Yahtzee admitted in the conversation to doing cocaine.
- This Is the Part Where...: In Let's Drown Out FTL, after Yahtzee pointed out that an enemy fleet was trying to flee, Yahtzee said that, if this were to be a typical Star Trek episode, this will be the part of an ad break and a zoom in to Picard's face looking serious.
- Take That!: After Night Shift asked Yahtzee to pick which of the 2 of the opposite gendered character he want to be:
Yahtzee: See, Ubisoft? It's that easy. (In regards to the controversy of the lack of female playable characters in Assassin's Creed: Unity.)
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: Yahtzee played Thief 2 on expert mode, meaning that he can't kill anyone, only knocking them unconscious. His reason is that Garret was a master thief who does not need to kill people to get his job done, though the more logical reason is Yahtzee have already played the game a lot and have lost all challenge when he is allowed to kill people.
- Tempting Fate: One of the reason why Gabriel picked the original Grand Theft Auto is because he thought it would be easy to acquire, set up and record. Turns out, it took a decent amount of work to do so.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: In 'Let's Drown Out Wonderboy III', Yahtzee gave on to Gene Roddenberry about his infamous creative control and refusal of inter-personal conflicts in Star Trek, to the point of thanking Gene for dying.
- That Came Out Wrong: In 'Let's Drown Out Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood', Yahtzee said that he was once in a masturbation club in a boys-only high school. When Gabriel started to wonder about how slash fic writers react to such revelations, Yahtzee verbally backspaced that they do not really wank in front of each other, just discussing about it.
- The Tetris Effect: In 'Let's Drown Out Minecraft', after Yahtzee talked shop about how water spawn blocks works in Minecraft, Gabriel joked about how he is going to refer to real life clouds as 'water spawn blocks'.
- Thinking Out Loud: Yahtzee was not particularly fond of the protaganist in Phantasmagoria 2 for this trope, among other reasons.
- Think of the Children!: In 'Let's Drown Out Assassin's Creed Brotherhood', Yahtzee have announced that The Sims 4 was given an adult only rating in Russia because it contains gay sex and Russia used this trope as an excuse to do so and Yahtzee and Gabriel discussed about the connection, or lack thereof, between children development and LGBT in general.
- This Is for Emphasis, Bitch!:
Yahtzee: BAM, Oregon Trail, bitch!
- Toon Physics: Happened all of the sudden in 'Let's Drown Out GTA San Andreas' when Gabriel crashed into the car with a bicycle, causing CJ to propel up and get smacked onto the bridge above and falling down again. And somehow, he was fine to cycle to afterwards.
- Too Much Information:
- In 'Let's Play Dreamweb,' Yahtzee slips into a non-sequitur about how he once got thrush and had to use a feminine itch cream, finding it rather emasculating. Gabriel both laughs at him and declines to hear further details.
- In 'Let's Drown Out Harvest Moon', after Yahtzee and Gabriel joked about how you cannot anyone's dick other than yours or else you're gay, Gabriel waffled about the time he was working at different bar some time ago when he accidentally saw an 18-year-old penis. It was when he started to describe how hairless it was when Yahtzee started to paraphrase the trope.
- In 'Let's Drown Out Proteus', after Yahtzee explained how legal prostitution paraphrased from one of his friend who do the books for a brothel, Yahtzee regretted that he spoke with too much authority on prostitution, despite never hired a prostitute before.
- From 'Let's Drown Out Phantasmagoria 2':
Gabe: I feel like I've been with an irregular amount of women who liked being choked.
Yahtzee: Let's move on from that topic as fast as is humanly possible!
- True Art Is Angsty: Invoked numerous times by Yahtzee and Gabriel to poke fun at The Path's dark and incomprehensible nature, especially at any instances that it could be vaguely be interpreted as rape.
- TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Life: In 'Let's Finish Drown Out with some Portal 2, Part 1', Yahtzee reflects on an occasion of reading through Poacher's page and coming across a very bizarre comment:
- Verbal Tic: By 'Let's Drown Out Minecraft', Yahtzee has noticed that Gabriel said 'legitimately' an awful lot, as well as 'again' for points that he repeated a bit, then they went on to discuss this trope itself.
- Victory Is Boring:
- The main stipulation in 'Let's Drown Out Assassin's Creed Brotherhood' is that Yahtzee have already finished the story and essentially has nothing else to do in the game except collecting the collectibles.
- In 'Let's Drown Out Castlevania: Symphony of the Night', Yahtzee played the game as Richter Belmont, which means no story or items so that there won't be much to comment on except game play.
- In 'Let's Drown Out Brutal Doom', Yahtzee removes all the "stakes" by using the infamous IDDQD cheat.
- Viewers Are Morons: In 'Let's Drown Out Smash TV', Yahtzee berated Gabriel by assuming that the audience knows nothing about Smash TV, while Gabriel averted it by explaining that the game was out in 1990 and a fair chunk of their viewership were either born then or after that and they have no reason to learn about its existence.
- Video Game Cruelty Potential: Discussed briefly in 'Let's Drown Out Assassin's Creed Brotherhood' where Yahtzee mentioned that you can get an achievement in AC1 for grabbing a beggar and throwing her into the wall.
Gabriel: Whereas in real life, there is no achievement, you'd just have to enjoy doing that.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Yahtzee and Gabriel’s relationship, or at how they're least depicted in their "Let's Drown Out". Gabriel's a recovering alcoholic—a source of much chortling from the oft-soused, self-medicating Yahtzee—who 'takes up space' at Yahtzee's bar and doesn't order any drinks, is prone to big pontifical statements, and seemingly dislikes any genre of game that doesn't involve "hit-y" things. Yahtzee has a competitive streak, compelling him to dissect everything Gabriel says and mock his shortcomings, such as his weight and investment in worthless history courses. It's apparently become so vitriolic that, in the beginning of 'Let's Drown Out Sims 3' video, they have to explain that they are best friends with each other and essentially told their viewers to go get friends in order to understand such relationships. Yahtzee also pointed out that if he openly insulted you, it means that he is comfortable enough with you to do so whereas if he's unnaturally polite, it meant he's gotten sick of you.
"It's because I'm comfortable enough to call you a fat, sweaty bitch that indicates my high esteem for you."
"Yeah, y'know, and I call you vaguely-autistic shut-in nutbar."
- Walking the Earth: Gabriel planned to tour around the map of San Andreas on a bicycle and end on a mountaintop and it went smooth, calm and boring, which was perfect for the series until it got subverted he came up to a barrier that blocked him off from the rest of the map. Apparently, Yahtzee had not done a great job opening the map up before recording. It then became a fight to at least reach the mountaintop before he die from the relentless police pursuit.
- We Are Experiencing Technical Difficulties: 'Let's Drown Out Assassin's Creed Brotherhood' experienced an actual technical difficulties when the game crashed and stopped the recordings all together, the video even have the same trope's message with TV borders and a weird picture in the middle.
- We Have Become Complacent: Gabriel observed that he gets caught very easily in Grand Theft Auto, then he joking blames the modern gaming industry for making him fat and complacent for challenges.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Gabe noticed that almost all male characters in Yahtzee's games are a disappointment to their fathers. Yahtzee, while seemingly not noticing this before, is not surprised.
- What Did I Do Last Night?: Blurted by Yahtzee when Smash TV started out with a weird TV static.
- When All You Have Is a Hammer...: In ‘Let’s Drown Out Viscera Cleanup Detail’, the game requires that everything has to be burned by the furnace, from a container full of body parts to bucket of dirty water, which Yahtzee and Gabriel find weird. Justified by Yahtzee soon after in that the player character was working for a big corporation and they do not want to leave any evidence behind.
- Why Don't Ya Just Shoot Him?: Gabe and Yahtzee found out the answer during their Let's Play of Dreamweb.
- Worthless Yellow Rocks: In 'Let's Drown Out Minecraft', Yahtzee and Gabriel found emeralds among the minerals underground, which Yahtzee quickly dismissed it as his inventory was full, in comparison to Yahtzee's minor yelps of joy for a sight of coal and iron ores.
- Ye Olde Butcherede Englishe: Used as an intro in 'Let's Drown Out Hexen: Beyond Heretic' to go along with the game's theme of medieval times, which Gabriel interpret it as calling the viewers fat.
- You Keep Using That Word:
- In 'Let's Drown Out Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night', Yahtzee and Gabriel discussed about the words 'nerd' and geek'. Yahtzee interprets 'nerd' as a person who was passionate of a niche or an aspect of a culture whereas 'geek' is used as an insult of a person in a socially awkward stature. On the other hand, Gabriel sees 'nerds' as person who have complete understanding of an object in question while a 'geeks' who...likes geeky stuff and used themselves as example of geeks. Ultimately, though, Gabriel does not care and Yahtzee went back on topic on heartbleed.
- A much more intense discussion of this happened in 'Let's Drown Out Smash TV' when Gabriel repeatedly refused to answered Yahtzee's question on his game of the year, then the exasperated Yahtzee rephrased the question to what game he personally enjoyed and Gabriel easily answered it with the latest edition of Street Fighter 4, then Yahtzee go on a rant that Game Of The Year was supposed to be personal whereas Gabriel calmly corrected him that Game Of the Year is an objective and factual achievement in what it did whereas a personal game one personally enjoyed in a particular year is subjective. Needless to say, waffling and cutting off ensued till Yahtzee just gave up on the subject and quickly change the topic to drugs.
- In 'Let's Drown Out Proteus', when Yahtzee revisited the topic on a cult film called 'Six-String Samurai', specifically about how Gabriel 'needed him to understand' the film as if his opinions were invalidated that true art is incomprehensible, Gabriel have noted that Yahtzee using the word 'Mansplaining' during the argument, which Yahtzee explained that it means that it is a harder, more forceful form of explanation.
- You Make Me Sic:
- In 'Let's Drown Out WWF No Mercy', Yahtzee briefly criticized the lack of capitalize the letters in the 'no mercy' title.
- In 'Let's Drown Out Ghostship Aftermath', Yahtzee verbally correct the blood writing to 'There ARE no escape pods left', then complained about the writer not keeping their head together to form proper sentence, ignoring the fact that they might be missing a bit of plasma.
- You Need to Get Laid: In 'Let's Drown Out Proteus', after Yahtzee lamented about knowing too much on how prostitutes worked even though he never hires one before, Gabriel cheekily suggested that he should do so.