Freudian Trio: Anime and Manga
has the Alien Party:
Attack on Titan
- Kasumi Tomine: Joined because she likes catching/fighting aliens. Also contrasts with Yuri in that she is a prodigy and a xenophile. Also serves as the Red oni to Kumi's blue. (The McCoy)
- Yuri Otani: Railroaded by her classmates since no one else wanted to be stuck wearing the Ugly Cute alien. The opposite of Kasumi in that she is a crybaby moeblob who despises all things alien. (The Kirk)
- Kumi Kawamura: Choose to be an Alien Fighter rather than be saddled with the higher pressure and responsiblity of Class President (little did she know...) but is also the thinking man and The Stoic of the group. Also serves as the blue oni to Kasumi's red. (The Spock)
has this in the main trio:
- Eren Yeager is the brashest, most easily affected by emotions, and most eager to fight. (Id / The McCoy)
- Mikasa Ackerman is a ruthless fighter, the calmest and most emotionally distant, able to be decisive where other would hesitate. Subverted, since this goes right out the window whenever Eren is concerned. (Superego / The Spock)
- Armin Arlert is Childhood Friends with Eren and Mikasa; hence he is able to calm Eren down and rationalize with Mikasa. (Ego / The Kirk)
There's also Levi, Erwin, and Hanji later on:
Axis Powers Hetalia
- Hanji - emotional to the point of being creepy at times (Id)
- Levi - cold and ruthless pragmatist, looks at things logically to the point of being a borderline Sociopathic Hero (Superego)
- Erwin - considers both emotions and doing what needs done to be equally important (Ego).
has the Axis Forces:
- Ludwig/Germany: Rational, workaholic, duty-bound (Superego)
- Feliciano/Italy: Child-like, naive, ditzy (Id)
- Kiku/Japan: in the middle (Ego)
has a set in the Gandor brothers:
- Keith Gandor: Oldest brother. The Quiet One and flat-out voiceless in the anime. Conservative thinking and adherent to ethics and tradition (Super-Ego).
- Berga Gandor: The middle brother. Huge, emotional, and intimidating. Not very bright (Id).
- Luck Gandor: The youngest. The calm, collected "brains" of the group. Usually at the head in most of their dealings and serves as the mediator (Ego).
: It's downplayed, but this definatley applies to the main protagonists in the golden age arc.
- Guts - Id. Impulsive, driven mainly by his emotions and will to survive, Book Dumb, tends to act first and think later.
- Griffith - Superego. Intelligent, calculating, ambitious, rational and somewhat emotionally detatched.
- Casca - Ego. Somewhere between the above two in personality terms.
: Tendo Civil Security Company prior to Tina Sprout
joining the team.
features the rare instance where the power trio are also the villains:
A Certain Magical Index
- Aizen: The serene, soft-spoken yet supremely arrogant leader. The other two are completely loyal to him, so he has no trouble keeping them in line (Ego)
- Gin: Constantly grinning, utterly without empathy, and more than happy to start trouble. Had a reputation for recklessness and scheming even before Soul Society found out he was Aizen's minion. (Id)
- Tousen: Calm and stoic, Tousen is a Knight Templar who believes following Aizen is the least violent way to bring order to the world. He prioritizes his personal code above all else, even if it means harming former friends. (Superego)
- Technically any of the Vizards can be considered this if the Interactions within Ichigo's mental world are/were the same for them. With the main Identity being the ego, the hollow being the Id and the Zanpakuto being the superego.
- The Freudian Trio/Platonic Tripartite Soul also applies to the first three members of the Five-Man Band and love triangle:
- Rukia is calm, contemplative, self-possessed, driven by duty, conscientious to the point of being suicidal over something that wasn't her fault, and is the damsel in distress in the rules-obsessed Soul Society (Rational/Superego)
- Ichigo is the spirited protagonist (Spirited/Ego) and, as mentioned, is a tripartite soul himself with Ichigo proper, Zangetsu and Hollow Ichigo — lampshaded by the in-story "king and his horse" analogy which is similar to the charioteer analogy in Plato's Republic.
- Orihime acts on her gut feelings and emotions, her unusual tastes in food are a running joke, and is the damsel in distress in Hueco Mundo where the inhabitants are driven to eat each other (Appetitive/Id)
- Spills over hilariously into Ship to Ship Combat: The most obnoxious Ichiruki shippers bring out a moralistic laundry list of why Rukia is objectively more deserving than Orihime and label Ichihime shippers as "irrational," while the most obnoxious Ichihime shippers say something along the lines of "LOL boobs" as the reason why Ichigo should end up with Orihime.
- The rest of the Five Man Band and Sixth Ranger: Ishida is the Rational/Superego, Renji is the Spirited/Ego and Chad is the Appetitive/Id. The two fighting formations toward the end of Hueco Mundo work this way with Rukia and Ishida trading places.
- Also, Ichigo's closest three normal human friends: straight man Mizuiro is the Rational/Superego, hot-blooded Tatsuki is the Spirited/Ego and goofy Keigo is the Appetitive/Id.
- The three main groups of supernatural beings: Word of God has the cold-blooded and logical Quincies (Super Ego) are meant to contrast the hot-blooded and passionate Arrancar (Id), with Soul Reapers in the middle (Ego).
, the three main protagonists:
- Misaka: brash, aggressive, and Hot-Blooded Tsundere with power of lightning (id)
- Touma: more compassionate than Accelerator but his Hot Bloodiness is more laid back than Misaka (ego)
- Accelerator: Anti-Hero with powerful telekinetic powers and a cold, cynical personality who kills those who stand in his way or villains who are much worse than him without showing any signs of remorse (superego)
has many variants.
- The Black Knights Trio
- The main three leads
- Lelouch (Ego)
- Suzaku (Superego)
- C.C. (Id)
has this though it can get blurry
- Vicious was arguably a superego, but either has become (or always was) the id, driven by an extreme lust for power and control. When interacting with others, he puts on the cold facade of a superego, but when he fights, he is animalistic and instinctual, though he favors a weapon of serenity and discipline.
- Spike started as an id, but arguably was shifted to being a superego by Julia's influence and now more less abides by the law, remaining calm and never letting his emotions show. He has the tendency to lapse back into a more id like state when angered, but mostly is calm and content, exemplified by his combat style of non-aggressive redirection.
- Julia is almost certainly the ego, who, while not as animalistic as Vicious and definitely in more control of her lust, she is still able to readily show emotions, unlike Spike
, the three pilots:
Darker Than Black
- Akagi is a Hot-Blooded Ascended Fanboy whose constant use of the Indy Ploy consistently infuriates his teammates (id)
- Ibuki is closer to Earth than Akagi, but is not always perfectly calm (manually activating Dai-Guard's Net Cannon by climbing out on the mecha's arm being one example) (ego)
- Aoyama is (at first, at least) just doing his job and refers to himself as the Only Sane Man (superego)
has a few of these.
- Light Yagami: Zealous Knight Templar bent on creating "a perfect world." (superego)
- Misa Amane: Amoral pleasure seeker/yandere (id)
- Ryuk: Finds the others to be "so interesting." (ego)
- The detectives
- Near: Calm, cerebral and stoic (Superego)
- Mello: Volatile, ambitious and passionate (id)
- L: The (im)perfect balance between the two (ego)
- Put both groups together for the main three leads:
- Light Yagami: Superego
- L: Ego
- Misa Amane: Id
and Digimon Adventure 02
- Taichi (Tai): Impulsive, outspoken, active (Id)
- Koushirou (Izzy): Logical INTP-type computer whiz (Superego)
- Yamato (Matt): Cautious and sensitive, aggressive when provoked (Ego, shifts between Id and Superego, with a tendency towards Superego)
- Arguably a subversion, though; after Character Development, Taichi matures into the Ego, as is more fitting for a leader, whilst Yamato is revealed to frequently be a lot less cool-headed than he'd like or tries to be, becoming more of an Id, particularly when Takeru (T.K.) is involved.
- At the same time, Yamato tends to be more thoughtful and less ready to jump the gun than Taichi is, so the above example still fits.
- Played more straight, however, in 02, which has not one but two examples of this:
- Daisuke (Davis), who shares Taichi's hot-headed Id qualities.
- Takeru (T.K.), now very much the ego; far more cool-headed than Daisuke, but nonetheless appalled by all the evil the villains are committing. Helps that he's been to the Digital World before.
- Ken, post-Heel-Face Turn, is definitely the Superego to Daisuke's Id, to the point where the other Chosen Children thought at first he was still a monster for destroying the Digimon created from the Control Spires, before the method of their creation was revealed.
- Miyako (Yolei) is another Id, being the team's resident Genki Girl.
- Iori (Cody) is Koushiro's Superego successor in spirit, if not in abilities (since Miyako, unusually for an Id, is the tech girl for 02). He consciously tries to be as stoic and cool-headed as possible.
- Hikari (Kari) is the Ego, being emphasised as the character of the purest heart in the series but also able to apply reason to her actions (it helps that like Takeru she's not new to this).
- It's arguable that characters like Daisuke and Mimi have equally pure hearts, actually, since they tend to be optimistic and believe the best of people no matter what.
- Masaru (Marcus): Brash street fighter, All-Loving Hero, Dumb Is Good (Id)
- Touma (Thomas): Calm, cool, logical (Superego)
- Yoshino (Yoshi): Four years older, usually thinks with one and acts with the other (Ego, shifts from favoring Superego to favoring Id)
Dragon Ball Z
- Takato: Ascended Fanboy, normal, friendly, definitely the least Hot-Blooded
goggle-boy leader (darn you, Masaru!) this franchise has to offer. (Ego)
- Ruki (Rika): Ineffectual Loner, angry, definitely the most badass girl this franchise has to offer. (Id)
- Jenrya (Henry): Technical Pacifist, thoughtful, Zen-like, definitely the hardest-to-classify character this franchise has to offer. (Superego)
- The three Androids
- Android 17: Id
- Android 18: Ego
- Android 16: Superego
- The Hotel:
- The Diclonius Research Centre:
- Ditzy, childish Mingchao (Sometimes Id, sometimes Ego)
- Alcoholic, gun-toting Benkate (Sometimes Ego, sometimes Id)
- Rational, stoic Fino (Superego)
- The guys, too.
- And the trio before Yaghi, Fino, and Alternate joined.
- Mingchao (Ego, sometime Id)
- Baskerville (Superego, sometimes Ego)
- Benkate (Id, sometimes Superego)
Fist of the North Star
- Id: Ootawara (Dumb Muscle)
- Ego: Sakuraba (the most normal)
- Superego: Shin or Takami (Takami is more typically intelligent while Shin is the least emotional)
- Id: Agon (relies on his talent and instinct)
- Ego: Ikkyu (prideful but reasonable)
- Superego: Unsui (the most cautious of the three)
- Id: Riku (actions based on emotions rather then what's strategic)
- Ego: Kid (intelligent, but insecure)
- Superego: Tetsuma (the one whose emotions are the most controlled)
- Id: Kasamatsu (easily enraged and tricked) or Kamagaruma (impulsive)
- Ego: Harao (reasonably intelligent, but hampered by insecurity)
- Id: Banba (the real brains of the team)
- Id: Mizumachi (lives for fun)
- Ego: Kobanzame
- Superego: Kakei (thinks the most strategically of the 3)
- Id: Kotaro (values passion most)
- Ego: Juri (only sane man)
- Superego: Akaba (values intellegence most)
- Id: Gao (animal instincts personified)
- Ego: Maria (desires victory, but not at the expense of others)
- Superego: Marco (goes for the most straight forward path to victory regardless of those he hurts)
- 88 Alternately, one could argue that Kisiragi is the Ego: he's Marco's Left Hand in contrast to Gaou's Right, worships strength every bit as much as Gaou does, but relies on brainpower to use his strength effectively, putting him right between the two of them.
- Id: Yamato (plays for the love of competing)
- Ego: Karin (the peace keeper)
- Superego: Taka (the intellectual)
- Team America:
- Id: Panther
- Ego: Mr. Don
- Superego: Clifford
Full Metal Panic!
- Bart: Impulsive, Loud-Mouth, Energetic (Id)
- Lynn: Sweet-Natured, Gentle, Shy, Empathetic (Superego)
- Kenshiro: Calm, Level-Headed, Comforts Lynn and keeps Bart in Line (Ego)
- Sousuke: Stoic, rational, socially inept (Superego).
- Kurz Weber: Impulsive, lecherous (Id).
- Mao: Balanced. As commander, must make use of both of her subordinates' talents (Ego).
- Edward: Reckless, impulsive, hot-tempered, extremely driven (Id).
- Alphonse: Gentle, thoughtful, idealistic, self-sacrificing (Superego).
- Winry: Sensible, diplomatic, motherly, can be stern (Ego).
; they're a bit of a special case, though, as their positions tend to shift depending on whether the current version owes more to the goofy 1970s anime or the dark and violent manga version.
Ghost in the Shell
- Ryoma - Ego or Id. If they're playing it Lighter and Softer he'll be a typical Hot-Blooded anime hero/team captain. If it's Darker and Edgier, he'll be Hot Blooded to the point of being psychotically violent.
- Hayato - Whether he's a cool-headed foil to Ryo's loud, flashy super robo antics or a cold an calculating sociopath, Hayato almost always fits into the Superego mold. His Getter-2's hit and run fighting style reflects this nicely.
- Musashi/Benkei - Whether he's the Id or Ego depends on the version. While he's generally a bumbling oaf who charges into battle without thinking, in darker Getter stories, while still more violent, he's usually less so than his teammates and has a great deal more empathy.
Gundam Build Fighters Try
- Batou: (Id)
- The Major: (Superego)
- Aramaki: (Ego)
Hekikai No Ai ON
- Yuuma is the calm, tatical Superego.
- The hotblooded Sekai is the Id.
- And Fumina is the Ego, keeping the team together.
- Alucard - Id
- Seras - Ego
- Integra - Superego.
has the three main love interests:
Immortal Grand Prix
- Tojo- Superego (Quiet and thoughtful)
- Satsuki- Id (Aggressive and emotional)
- Tsukasa- Ego (Arguably the most mature of the three, can be emotional or calm)
- Takishi - Ego
- Liz - Id
- Amy - Superego
Katekyo Hitman Reborn!
- Sora: the perky leader, often running on emotion (Id)
- Anna: cool-headed off-stage, but would rather be doing comedy (Ego, tending towards Id)
- Mia: the semi-serious and logical one (Superego)
's two major villains and main protagonist may fit.
- Xanxus- Id (Passionate, Hair-trigger temper, speech is full of "Angrish".)
- Byakuran- Superego (Seems like a run-of-the-mill Psychopathic Man Child but takes a level in psycho as well as The Chessmaster as the Future arc progresses.)
- Tsuna- Ego (Level-headed and kindhearted, practically All-Loving Hero, but knows when to be full of asskickery. Eventually defeats the other two.)
Kuuchuu Buranko AKA Trapeze
has Ichiro Irabu as all three (manifested through his different forms):
Legend of Galactic Heroes
- Chid Irabu: Superego
- Young adult Irabu: Ego
- Bear Irabu: Id
has this primarily in:
fits into this, despite having a Four Girl Ensemble
Mahou Sensei Negima!
- Tsukasa Hiiragi: ditzy Cloudcuckoolander who spends most of her time sleeping (Id).
- Konata Izumi: balanced, despite being an Otaku girl (Ego).
- Kagami Hiiragi: The rational one who often critize Konata's otaku interests and inability to study hard as well as constantly looking over her twin sister Tsukasa (Superego).
- Or if you want to put Miyuki-san into the picture:
- Tsukasa (Id)
- Kagami (Ego)
- Miyuki (Superego)
- Konata (Id)
- Kagami (Ego)
- Miyuki (Superego)
- Konata (Id)
- Tsukasa (Ego)
- Miyuki (Superego)
- The four main girls go like this: Tsukasa and Konata fits into both Id and Ego (Tsukasa tends to lean more to the Ego while Konata more to the Id), Kagami fits into the Ego and Superego, and Miyuki fits into the Superego.
- For the other Four Girl Ensemble:
- For the Konata household:
- Soujirou Izumi (Id)
- Yutaka Kobayakawa (Ego)
- Konata Izumi (Superego)
- For Kagami and and the other two girls in her class:
, in the dorm.
Magic Knight Rayearth
- Asuna - Id.
- Konoka - Ego.
- Negi - Superego, but leans into Ego on occasion as well.
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
- Hikaru: Ego. Determined, enthusiastic, takes point throughout most of the quest.
- Umi: Id. Loudmouthed, passionate, very protective of her friends.
- Fuu: Superego. Thoughtful, intelligent, combines logic with caring.
- The three Aces:
- Nanoha: Id, sometimes the Ego
- Fate: Ego, sometimes the Id
- Hayate: Superego
- The Materials (the Evil Twins to the three Aces)
- The Wolkenritter:
- Signum and Zafira: Ego
- Vita: Id
- Shamal: Superego
- Mai: balance, mediation, self-reliance (Ego)
- Natsuki: reason (Superego)
- Mikoto: hunger, instinct, emotion (Id)
, especially the manga:
- Arika: perky, hyper, friendly, none-too-bright (Id)
- Nina: serious, stern, often at odds with Arika (Superego)
- Erstin: gentle and shy mediator between the two (Ego)
, has more than one:
Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch
- Yotsuya: Despite his highly eccentric actions he has a very calm, deadpan and formal personality (Superego)
- Akemi: A very loud and energetic drunk, a bit impulsive and shows off her exhibitionist side on a regular basis (Id)
- Hanae: Also a rather loud and energetic drunk but also fairly frequently shows off her motherly side (Ego)
- (As for the Love Triangle with Godai, Kyoko and Kozue)
- Kozue: Cheerful, Kind and Caring but also a little ditzy (Id)
- Kyoko: Tries to be very rational and mature but her temper sometimes gets in the way (Superego)
- Godai: Is often a victim of misunderstandings but normally is the first one to try to understand the situation at hand (Ego)
- (Now for the Love Triangle with Mitaka, Godai and Kyoko)
- Mitaka: While he genuinely cares for Kyoko he does show off that he is a rich athletic pretty boy on a regular basis (Superego)
- Godai: A kind young man but is normally rather tempermental and competitive with Mitaka (Id)
- Kyoko: Sweet and tries to be understanding to both of these men, does wish that they would stop being so competitive around her (Ego)
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
- Lucia: Leader, but more concerned with her love life than the rules that might prevent it (Id)
- Hanon: Picks fights with Lucia over breaking the rules and usually goes on to do the exact same thing (Superego when others, namely Lucia, are involved; Id otherwise)
- Rina: Mediator (Ego)
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny
- Murrue Ramius: The Captain and Team Mom. Compassionate, humanistic, and willing to bend and break rules as necessary in order to serve what's best for the individuals involved. (Id)
- Natarle Badgiruel: Sergeant Rock. Firmly believes in the importance of discipline and abiding by military regulations. (Superego)
- Mu La Flaga: Veteran Ace Pilot who serves as a pragmatic midpoint between Murrue and Natarle, respecting military regulations while recognizing that some situations require flexibility. Maintains a balance between his natural inclinations toward being a good soldier and being a good person. (Ego)
has three Power Trios.
- The Main Characters
- Shinn Asuka: An idealist who doesn't realise he's in a show with Grey and Gray Morality. Impulsive, hotheaded, and loyal to his friends before all else; has a tendency towards blaming others whenever something goes wrong. (Id)
- Kira Yamato: Technical Pacifist All-Loving Hero who suppresses his own strong feelings in the name of saving the world, putting his own emotions on the backburner in the interest of protecting others. Very, very focused. (Superego)
- Athrun Zala: A conflicted patriot who wants to believe to the same degree that Shinn does, but is too cynical and bitter after his experiences in the first war to implicity trust those around him. Wavers between following Shinn and Kira for much of the show, eventually settling on the latter. (Ego, leaning towards Superego)
- The Minerva Trio (actually a great example of a failed Power Trio, in which the Ego is unable to successfully balance the other two, leaving the Superego in control, and the Id violent, angry, and on the verge of a confusion-induced nervous breakdown)
- Shinn Asuka: Badass Jerkass Woobie Hero with an F in Good. His heart's in the right place, but his Unstoppable Rage gets in the way of his doing the right thing. A wannabe hero who hasn't figured out that Black and White Morality just doesn't happen in Gundam. Suffers a mental breakdown over the course of the show as his desires and his gut instincts come more and more into conflict. Has a definite childish streak. (Id)
- Rey Za Burrel: Cold-blooded Manipulative Bastard who believes that Utopia Justifies the Means; a calm, focused example of The Quiet One otherwise. Genuinely seems to like the other two but has no qualms about using them in the name of creating paradise. (Superego).
- Lunamaria Hawke: Reasonable and friendly, she tries to be the mediator, but her lack of a forceful personality repeatedly sidelines her, allowing Rey more and more control over the group. She wants to do the right thing, but really isn't sure how to go about it, and her indicision has less than desireable consequences for Shinn in particular. (Ego)
- Phantom Pain
- Stella/r Louisier: Childish, in both good and bad ways; suffers from borderline paranoid schizophrenia. (Id)
- Sting Oakley: Brother figure to his teammates and keeps the other two in control; cold, and the most practical of the three; the only one who knows when to call it a day. (Superego)
- Auel Neider: Ax-Crazy, but more "controllable" than Stella/r; has a brotherly relationship with Sting and is a Knight Templar Big Brother towards Stella (when he isn't emotionally abusing her). (Ego, tending towards Id)
has six Power Trios
(it helps all squads
are in three and were probably made with this in mind):
Neon Genesis Evangelion
- Team 7:
- Naruto: Loud, impulsive, boastful (when Sasuke isn't saving him), hyperactive, stubborn, instinctual (Id)
- Sakura: Compassionate, book smart, intelligent, can be voice of reason sometimes (Ego)
- Sasuke: Both intelligent and intuitive, practical, usually calm in the face of anything, stoic (Superego)
- Team Yamato:
- Naruto: Impulsive, emotional, stubborn, chaotic (Id)
- Sai: Rational, emotionless, effective, lawful (Superego)
- Sakura: Practical, smoothing, balanced, neutral (Ego)
- Team 8:
- Hinata: Extremely quiet Fan of Underdog, wouldn't disagree with anyone ever (Ego)
- Kiba: Hyperactive, brash knucklehead (Id)
- Shino: Believes he should be leader over Kiba (Superego)
- Team 10:
- Shikamaru: Genius, extremely mellow (Superego)
- Ino: Angry, loud, unofficial team leader (Id)
- Chouji: Mostly concerned with his next meal (Ego)
- Team Gai:
- Lee: Burning passion, sometimes uncontrolled emotions (Id)
- Tenten: According to Word of God Tenten is actually the balancing force on Team Gai. (Ego)
- Neji: Nietzsche Wannabe (Superego, tending towards Ego after his defeat at the hands of Naruto)
- The Sand Siblings:
- Gaara: Ax-Crazy, turned almost messiah-like leader (Superego)
- Temari: Intelligent and despite her tough demeanor doesn't seem interested in conflict (Ego)
- Kankuro: Obnoxious, talks tough but has a good heart (Id)
- There's also the most obvious one of the Sannin:
- Jiraiya: (Id)
- Orochimaru: (Superego)
- Tsunade: (Ego)
- Rei: A moral and self-sacrificing Emotionless Girl (Superego)
- Shinji: Wants to prove himself to his father, discharge his guilt, make himself a hero... (Ego)
- Asuka: Can barely control her rage (and, sometimes, lust). (Id)
- This triad can also be viewed as the other Freudian triad of Thanatos (Death), Eros (Love/sex) and Mortido (destruction).
- Toji: A jock who often acts on his impulses, gets very angry at the people he feels crosses him, and enjoys the simpler things in life (id)
- Kensuke: A nerdy military otaku who thoroughly investigates his hunches and desperately wants to be considered special (ego)
- Hikari: The Class Representative who worries about moral behavior and following proper protocol (superego)
- The Magi computers collectively represent Ritsuko's mother and the three aspects to her personality - the scientist (Superego), the woman (Id), and the mother (Ego)
- The Shimabara Sisters:
- Ushio: Sense of justice, being more empathetic and sensible (Superego)
- Minami: Cold and aloof, with protective nature and attitude (Ego)
- Yuuhi: Selfish, intimidates with elements (Id)
- The Monster Trio:
- Sanji: Cook, Pervert, ruled by emotions (id)
- Zoro: Concerned with honor, especially in battle. He also constantly clashes with Sanji (superego)
- Luffy: The only one who can make them work together, shows both emotion/instinct motivated actions and actions motivated by higher concepts such as True Companions and his own personal idea of justice (ego)
- The First Three Crew Members:
- Luffy: (id)
- Zoro: (superego)
- Nami: (ego)
- Also, the Three Admirals:
- Aokiji: A slacker, lax with rules but still follows commands (ego)
- Kizaru: A little lax with rules, but is extremely careless and causes wanton destruction without knowing it (id)
- Akainu: Extremely law-abiding (superego)
- The Three Great Powers in general
- Marines: The defining force of law and government control (superego)
- The Four Emperors: The four most powerful pirate captains in the world, exerting their control over the New World (id)
- The Seven Warlords of the Sea: Seven pirate crews turned privateers for the World Government (ego)
- During Luffys Childhood:
- Ace: Acting impulsive if someone threatens him but being calm enough to pull some thefts and stuff (ego)
- Sabo: Berating Ace not to be to impulsive and sacrificing his freedom to save his brothers (superego)
- Luffy: Not as strong as later, but the same without being very brave (id)
has several easily dividable trios.
- Ash: Impulsive, reckless (Id)
- Misty: Fits (Ego) to a T
- Brock: Aside from his forrays in love (Superego)
- In later seasons:
- Ash: Remains the same (Ego)
- Brock: Yet again (Superego)
- Dawn: Like May, she is the impulsive rookie (Id)
- Ash: Reverts back to his original series personality (Id)
- Iris: Drifts back and forth (Ego)
- Cilan: Cool and calm, doesn't show much emotion (Superego)
- Sometimes Best Wishes plays with the roles:
- Iris: Hyperactive, immature and condescending (Id), and often being the most relaxed and reserved when Cilan is getting passionate (Superego)
- Ash: Being more relaxed and mature enough to brush off Iris's insults (Superego) or acting as a balance between Iris's Wild Child and Cilan's...Cilan-ness (Ego)
- Cilan: Being the calm but beleaguered balance between Ash and Iris, particularly when they fight (Ego), and when he gets passionate about a subject he specializes in (Id)
- As for Team Rocket:
- Jessie: Is the most impulsive and violent of the three (Id)
- James: Easily the most relaxed of the three (Superego)
- Meowth: Can be violent or philosophical (Ego)
- The Starter Pokemon Ash and some of his friends capture:
- Kanto Starters
- Ash's Bulbasaur (Superego)
- Ash's Charmander-Charmeleon-Charizard (Id)
- Ash's Squirtle (Ego)
- Johto Starters
- Ash's Chikorita-Bayleef (Id)
- Ash's Cyndaquil-Quilava (Superego)
- Ash's Totodile (Ego)
- Houen Starters
- May's Torchic-Combusken-Blaziken (Id)
- Ash's Treecko-Grovyle-Sceptile (Superego)
- Brock's Mudkip-Marshtomp (Ego)
- Sinnoh Starters
- Dawn's Piplup (Id)
- Ash's Turtwig-Grotle-Torterra (Ego)
- Ash's Chimchar-Monferno-Infernape (Superego)
- Unova Starters
- Ash's Oshawott (Id)
- Ash's Tepig (Ego)
- Ash's Snivy (Superego)
- Kalos Starters
- Clemont's Chespin (Id)
- Serena's Fennekin (Ego)
- Ash's Froakie (Superego)
Not to be outdone, Pokemon Special
has this with the trios of protagonists from Johto onwards (The four Kanto protagonists are more of a Four-Temperament Ensemble
The Prince of Tennis
: The Three Demons of Rikkai Dai Fuzoku:
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
- Sanada Genichirou: Called the "Emperor", he's strong, ruthless, and has a tendencity towards violent reaction. (Id)
- Yanagi Renji: The "Master", he is the team's data specialist, uses statistics and probabilities during tennis matches to predict the opponent's move, and crafts the team's strategies. Tends to be cool and aloof. (Superego)
- Yukimura Seiichi: Called "Child of God". Although he can be quite ruthless himself, Yukimura is the force uniting his team. (Ego)
- Madoka herself is the Ego, as the series is her being caught between the various things other people want of her. More to the point, she has a lot of cares, but doesn't tend to rush into things like her best friend, Sayaka.
- Sayaka and Kyouko are both Ids, being hot-headed and following their impulses (very different though those impulses may be).
- Mami and Homura are both Superegos, being calm and rational in all situations. Or most, anyway.
- Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon (Ego; though ditzy, she is the most normal of the three and the leader)
- Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury (Superego; Level-headed, calculative, genius intellect)
- Rei Hino/Sailor Mars (Id; hot-headed, throws tantrums)
- (Usually it's the first role denoted inside the brackets, but also tends to shift/rotate to the latter)
- "Outers" (pre-Saturn):
- Sailor Uranus (Id; talkative, flirty, brash)
- Sailor Neptune (Superego; stoic, calm, Uranus' foil)
- Sailor Pluto (Ego; ageless, wise, understands the "Inners'" point of view more than the other two)
Samurai Pizza Cats
- Mugen: Brash vagabond (Id all the way)
- Jin: Stoic, quiet ronin (Superego all the way)
- Fuu: Balance (Ego)
Serial Experiments Lain
- Speedy Cerviche. Pretty average lad who acts according to the circumstances. (Ego)
- Guido Anchovie. Calm and cool guy who never loses his relaxed stance. (Superego)
- Polly Esther. Walking Berserk Button who often beats the crap out of Speedy or Guido (and Bad Bird to an extent) everytime they say or do something she doesn't agree with. (Id).
has Lain as all three:
Space Runaway Ideon
- Child Lain: Quiet, emotionless (Superego)
- Normal Lain: Rational, has emotions, only personality Lain is fully conscious of (Ego)
- Lain of the Wired: Self-destructive, impulsive, hedonistic (Id)
appears to have this in a less personified form than most:
- The Ideon itself: powered by the potentially infinite Ide energy (the name sounds like an eloquent enough clue) which is particularly triggered by threats to it and the youngest members of its crew, and sometimes acts on its own in those cases (Id)
- The Solo Ship: Usually carries the more adult members of the cast, whom try to work toward everyone's best interest, and also the youngest children on board whom further emphasize everyone's resposability to keep everyone safe (Superego)
- Whomever's actually piloting the Ideon: Usually engaged in combat when needed, trying to keep the crew safe, but also needing to attack and thus making use of the Ideon's energy and its destructive power, a fragile balance that's usually hard to maintain (Ego)
- Ran: Outspoken, fun-loving Genki Girl (Id, sometimes Ego)
- Miki: Clam and controlled Bokukko and smartest of the three (Superego)
- Suu: Cute and polite girl, who always tries to make other happy (Ego, sometimes Superego)
- However, this three characters are a special case, since they all act as the Superego to Amu Hinamori's Ego.
(Although they work separately most of the time)
Spiral: Suiri no Kizuna
- Maka Albarn: The most equilibrated of the trio, tends to let herself be fueled both by her logic and her emotions (Ego).
- Black Star: Prefers to act before thinking in the results of what he is doing, by far the most impulsive of the trio (Id).
- Death the Kid: usually cold, smart and talented enough to face almost anything, however many times he lets his obsessive compulsive tendencies take control of him, this ironically from the fact he wants moral and physical perfection and balance, he is a god after all (Super Ego).
- Eyes: the leader, hands-off and mysterious (Ego)
- Kousuke: brash, violent, intelligent but not a thinker (Id)
- Rio: Sly, small, Little Miss Badass and uses it her advantage (Superego)
Strike Witches: The Karlsland Witches
- Takuto: Your typical Hot-Blooded Henshin Hero. Completely and entirely driven by his impulses and emotions. (Id)
- Sugata: Calm and rather closed-off. Reluctantly follows his duties because he has to, even though they're destroying him. (Superego)
- Wako: A direct balance between the two: she definitely has aspirations and desires, but she doesn't let them get in the way of her duty. (Ego)
- Erica (Id)
- Minna (Ego)
- Gertrud (Superego)
- Christopher Peepers: Impulsive, hard-headed, yet has great understanding (Id).
- Joy: Calm and cool-headed, never one to lose her cool (Superego).
- Gizmo: Loyal and protective to his two companions without question (Ego).
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
, before it becomes a Five-Man Band
Tenshi Ni Narumon
- Kamina: unstoppable passion (id)
- Simon: restrained reason (superego)
- Yoko: keeps both under control (ego)
, the main Trio:
Tokyo Mew Mew
- Mikael - Superego (determined and by-the-book)
- Silky - Id (villainous and powerful)
- Noelle - Ego (the one who makes the final choice)
Transformers: Robots in Disguise
- Ichigo (id), wacky, fun-loving
- Mint (superego), calm, refined
- Lettuce (ego), smart but clumsy
: The Autobot brothers.
The World Is Mine
- Side Burn: Hotheaded and girl-crazy but very sympathetic (Id)
- X-Brawn: Tough and thrill-seeking but well-behaved (Ego)
- Prowl: Highly disciplined and law-enforcing (Superego)
AKA Magical Girl Squad Alice
- Yugi/Yami Yugi - mature, heroic, powerful (Ego)
- Jonouchi - hot-headed, loud-mouthed, aspiring rookie (Id)
- Kaiba - stoic, focused, genius-level intellect (Superego)
Zettai Karen Children
- Yusei: Calm in the face of anything, keeps Jack and Crow in line when they argue. (Superego)
- Jack: Overly proud, otherwise stoic, gets along with Crow but doesn't. (Ego with occasional Id tendencies)
- Crow: Loud, impulsive, unable to NOT get excited at anything, thus grinds on Jack's nerves yet cares for the well-being of others. (Id)
- (Pre-Crow) Aki: Originally thought to be cold-blooded and sadistic, eventually revealed to be extremely passionate about things she cares about and ultimately in search of love. (Id)
- In the crossover movie, Yusei is the Ego still, given his attitude, Judai takes up the Id, since he's the most enthusiastic about their adventure, and Yami/Atem takes up Superego for his Knight Templar tendencies.
- Kaoru (psychokinesis) - Id; may have something to do with her mother and older sister's large breasts
- Aoi (teleportation) - Ego; the only one with a "normal" upbringing
- Shiho (telepathy) - Superego; is a one-girl CSI for her police chief father
- Shito - Superego; reserved, usually calm and collected, but easily frustrated by Chika
- Michiru - Ego; constantly trying to mediate between Shito and Chika, but usually gets on well with them seperately
- Chika - Id; brash and hot-headed, fights constantly with Shito