open/close all folders
The Sawyer Family
:In the first two movies he lives with his brothers and grandfather, until they are all killed off. In the third movie he lives with new brothers and his mother, that time around he had a daughter. In the fourth film, he is shown as a cross dresser who works with yet more relatives in an illuminati conspiracy.In Texas Chainsaw 3D, which retcons the series, he is identified as Jedidiah Sawyer and his family is lynched by an angry mob after the first movie, as a result he lived with Verna Sawyer until her death. Soon his long lost cousin comes home, setting him loose on the town.
- Abusive Parents: Is subject to abuse by the other Sawyers.
- Co-Dragons: Sometimes a member of the family gives him some help.
- Determinator: Even when impaled by a chainsaw, he continues fighting Lefty in the second movie.
- Dragon-in-Chief: Played with. He's the biggest physical threat and could kill all his other family member of he so desired, but he's mentally retarded and ordered around by them.
- Dumb Muscle: It's implied that in-breeding has left him mentally handicapped.
- Punch Clock Villain: In contrast to the vindictive and slightly more intelligent Tom Hewitt, he only kills for his family or in what he believes to be self defense. Only time he doesn't was in Texas Chainsaw 3D when he was plotting revenge on the lynch mob members.
Drayton SawyerLeatherface's eldest brother, but might also be his father. He appears in the first two movies as head of the family, and appears in Texas Chainsaw 3D as one of the Sawyers being lynched.
- Affably Evil or Faux Affably Evil: Hard to tell. He seems nice at first but it turns out he's in league with Leatherface. Of course, he does try to comfort Sally by telling her that it will all be over soon and she won't feel a thing. Than again, he's Laughing Mad when he captures her and when he and his family are tormenting her at the dinner table.
- Big Bad: Fits the bill in the first two movies as the father of the Sawyer Brothers.
- Bigger Bad: Posthumously of Texas Chainsaw 3D, as the de-facto leader of the Sawyers, but lynched very early in the movie.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: In the intro for Texas Chainsaw 3D, one of the Saywers advise him to turn Leatherface in to the police, Drayton says "But he's family".
- Even Evil Has Standards: : I just can't take no pleasure in killing. There's just some things you gotta do. Don't mean you have to like it.
- Evil Chef: Drayton does all the cooking while Nubbins, Leatherface and Chop Top do all the killing. He never killed anyone himself as a result of Even Evil Has Standards.
- Large Ham: "Damn business men...ALWAYS! ALWAYS! ALWAYS! GET YA IN THE ARSE!!"
- Token Good Teammate: Downplayed, he's a full fledged villain just like the rest of his family, but he seems to be the least evil.
- Villainous Incest: The comics say that Drayton had a sexual relationship with one of the Sawyer family women, who gave birth to Leatherface, Nubbins, and Chop Top. Whether this is canon is questionable.
Nubbins SawyerOne of Leatherface's brothers, appears as a Ax-Crazy Hitchhiker, hence the nickname. He only appears in the first film and second as a corpse.
- Co-Dragons: With Leatherface
- Red Right Hand: His birthmark.
- Strong Family Resemblance: To Chop Top, they're twins.
- The Voiceless: In the second movie, being a corpse and all.
Grandpa SawyerLeatherface's grandfather. Aged beyond human standards, he is naturally the oldest in the family, and is apparently kept alive by drinking blood.
- Badass Grandpa: Tries to be this in the second movie, doesn't really work for him.
- Bigger Bad: His family thinks highly of him, but he's pretty damn useless due to his decrepit state (it appears he could only have been useful around the time the confederacy lost the civil war).
Chop Top SawyerNubbins' twin brother. At the time in the first movie, he was fighting in Vietnam. He joins his family in the second film.
- Co-Dragons: With Leatherface.
- Disney Villain Death: How he goes out in the second film.
- The Heavy: Drives as much of the plot as Leatherface.
- Strong Family Resemblance: To Nubbins, they're twins.
Eddie "Tex" SawyerAnother one of Leatherface's brothers. He is the new hitchhiker of the family after Nubbins' death.
- Berserk Button: Do not, repeat, Do not call him by his real name.
Tinker SawyerOne of the least sane members of the Sawyer family.
- I Have Many Names: His real name is unknown
- Kick the Dog: He tries to discipline Leatherface by throwing his Walkman into an oven, it backfires.
Alfredo SawyerYet another one of Leatherface's brothers. He inherited Last Chance Gas station from Drayton's death in the second film.
- Big Brother Bully: Refers to Leatherface as "Stupid-fuck face". Yeah, not exactly brother of the year.
- Swamps Are Evil: His job is to dump bodies in a swamp.
- Tempting Fate: "What are the chances a brainless bitch like you knows how to use that thing ?" Not something you ask a woman with a shotgun
Mama SawyerLeatherface's mother. She is a bitter old woman who speaks via an electric voice box.
Vilmer SawyerThe head of the Sawyer family in The Next Generation. Unlike the others he is not a cannibal, and is part of an Illuminati conspiracy to spread fear.
- Artificial Limbs: Has a fake leg due to begin run over several times in his life.
- Big Bad: Of The Next Generation.
- Car Fu: Uses this at one point.
W.E SaywerAnother member of the Sawyer family who also works for the Illuminati.
- The Dragon: To Vilmer.
Darla SawyerVilmer's wife
- Domestic Abuse: At Vilmer's hands
Verna Sawyer-CarsonHeather's grandmother, who appeared in Texas Chainsaw 3D.
The Hewitt Family
The Leatherface of the rebooted continuity. Unlike the original Leatherface, who is described as a "Big Baby", he is more vicious and seemingly more smart. He is the adopted son of Luda Mae, who was fiercely protective of him. He of course, is the main enforcer of the Hewitts.
- Berserk Button: He does not take kindly to being called a freak or animal.
- Dragon-in-Chief: Unlike the original Leatherface, he seems to have a Jason esque vendetta towards teenagers.
- Danger Takes A Back Seat: In the prequel he kills the last girl by hiding in the back of her car as she tries to escape.
- Determinator: Even when Erin chops off his arm, he is still relentless in hunting her down.
- Face-Revealing Turn: After killing Pepper, Thomas turns to Erin, revealing he's wearing her boyfriends face.
- Hook Hand: Receives one built by uncle Monty in the Wildstorm comics, which take place after the events of the 2003 film.
- Karma Houdini: According to the epilogue, hasn't been found or killed, although he did lose his arm.
Charile Hewitt/Sheriff HoytLeatherface's adopted brother, and mentor. He poses as a local sheriff and uses that position to help his family kill people.
- Dirty Cop: Makes sure that people he stops will be guilty of anything. Not to mention he isn't even a real cop.
- The Dragon: To Ludah Mae.
- Co-Dragons: With Leatherface.
- Dragon-in-Chief: He's actually more menacing then any of the Hewitts, including Leatherface. He also convinced his family to start killing in the first place, arguably making him the true mastermind of the Hewitt family murders.
- Jerk Ass: Big time, he's a sadistic, foulmouthed bully who loves to use false arrest and police brutality.
- Impersonating an Officer: He killed the real Sheriff Hoyt and stole his identity and car.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: The Wildstorm comic By Himself reveals that he is a Korean War veteran who developed his cannibalistic traits during his tenure as a prisoner of war at the hands of Chinese.
Luda Mae HewittThomas's adopted mother, fiercely protective of him and will kill anyone who she suspects of making fun of or being mean to Thomas.
- Expy: More or less of Pamela Voorhees.
Monty HewittLeatherface's uncle. He spends his time in a wheelchair as his legs were amputated by his nephew.
Jedidiah HewittLeatherface's nephew. Youngest member of the family and apparently abused by them.
- Redemption Equals Death: In the novelization, he is killed by his uncle for helping Erin escape.
Sally HardestyProtagonist of the first film. She encounters the Sawyers when she and her friends investigate the possible robbing of their grandfather's grave.
- Butt Monkey: She gets kidnapped, hit on the head with a hammer and cut with razor.
- Final Girl: Of the original film.
- The Generic Girl: Sally doesn't have much of a personality.
- Hysterical Woman: At the end of movie, after escaping Leatherface, she begins to laugh hysterically.
- Laughing Mad: After escaping from Leatherface, probably as a mixture of utter mental breakdown and relief.
- Screaming Woman: Sally spends the the final third of the film screaming her head off.
- Slashers Prefer Blondes: Averted. Sally is a blonde and the sole survivor of the film.
- Sole Survivor: Sally is the only person to escape Leatherface alive in the first film.
Vanita "Stretch" BrockProtagonist of the second film. A radio DJ who unwittingly becomes the target of the Sawyer family when her station played a live recording of one of Leatherface's murders. Leatherface falls for her and refuses to kill her. She ends up being captured by the Sawyers and is eventually rescued by Lieutenant "Lefty" Enright.
- Action Girl: Unlike Sally, Stretch is more active and tries to do more than just scream, managing to fight back against Chop-Top.
- Chainsaw Good: The weapon that she killed Chop-Top with.
- Final Girl: She becomes this in the second movie.
- Screaming Woman: While Stretch screams quite a bit, she still manages do better than Sally at defending herself.
- Sole Survivor: Stretch is the only person to survive the second movie.
- Took a Level in Badass: With a chainsaw!
MichelleA young woman who gets captured by the Sawyers while on a trip with her boyfriend across Texas. She teams up with a survivalist named Benny to escape them.
- Action Girl: Probably the most active female protagonist in original series. She stabs Tex, hits Leatherface in the head with rock and shoots Alfredo with shotgun.
- Final Girl: Michelle become this at the end of her movie, alongside fellow survivor Benny.
- Took a Level in Badass: Manages to take on Leatherface on her own
JennyA high school student whose prom night was ruined by the Sawyer family, now led by Vilmer. As she soon learns, Vilmer Sawyer is part of some sort of fear-based Illuminati conspiracy. She ends up being saved by Agent Rothman.
- Action Girl: She tried to shoot Leatherface with a shotgun, too bad it wasn't loaded.
- Expy: Of Sally. They are both blondes, they both run in places to find help only to find out that their apparent saviors are actually villains, and they both escape in the end.
- Final Girl: In The Next Generation.
- Slashers Prefer Blondes: Averted. Jenny survives over the brunette Brainless Beauty Heather.
- Sole Survivor: She is only person to escape Leatherface in The Next Generation.
Erin HardestyMain character of the remake. She and her friends become involved with the Hewitts after they rescue a hitchhiker (who later killed herself.) She always insisted on doing the right thing, which led the the Hewitts meeting them in the first place.
- Action Girl: Erin cut off Leatherface's arm, rescued an abducted infant, and killed Sheriff Hoyt.
- Always Lawful Good: Erin insists on doing the morally right thing at all times. This is what places everyone's lives at risk in the first place.
- Car Fu: with who she kill the Sheriff Hoyt
- Final Girl: Of the remake.
- Karma Houdini: Survives the film, despite being responsible for all her friend's deaths. She does probably have to live with it for the rest of her live, and comic book continuations indicate she was put in a mental hospital over what happened.
- Ms. Fanservice: Jessica Biel in a wet tank top
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Intentional. The writer made sure that all the bad things that happened to the characters were because Erin insisted on doing things her way.
- No Good Deed: The events of the film were set off by her insisting they help a traumatized hitchhiker. Let's just say it went badly for all concerned....
- Shout-Out: Her last name's a shout out to Sally of the original TCM.
- Sole Survivor: Erin is only person that escape Leatherfaace.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The tomboy to Pepper's girly girl.
- Useless Protagonist: So, what exactly did Erin contribute besides getting all her friends killed?
- Well she did slice off Leatherface's arm, rescue an abducted infant, and kill Sheriff Hoyt.
ChrissieMain character of the prequel to the remake, she and her friends are taken captive by the Hewitt family. She risk's her life many times to save her friends, but since she is a prequel character, it doesn't work out for her.
- Danger Takes A Back Seat: How she's killed.
- Final Girl: Of the remake's prequel. Subverted in that she dies at the very end.
- Ms. Fanservice: Jordana Brewster is a beautiful woman
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The tomboy to Bailey's girly girl.
Heather Miller/Edith SawyerA young woman in an adopted family, she finds out she inherited a mansion from her biological grandmother Verna Carson. She and her friends head to Texas to collect, and pick up a hitchhiker on the way. They all find out the hard way Leatherface lives in the basement. It's revealed that when she was a baby, she was a survivor of a Lynch attack on her biological family, the Sawyers. Soon the local mayor, who lead the Lynch mob, finds out and tries to kill her. She ends up teaming up with Leatherface, who manages to save her from the mayor.
- Bare Your Midriff: Part of her fanservice.
- Final Girl: Of Texas Chainsaw 3D.
- Ms. Fanservice: Especially at the end, when you can almost see her breasts.
- Sins of Our Fathers: The night she finds out about she's related to the Sawyers, she becomes a target to some of the lynch mob members.
- Villain Protagonist: Takes the side of her homicidal chainsaw-wielding cousin.
Other Characters (Original)
Franklin HardestySally's wheelchair bound brother. They and their friends set out to see if a family plot was tampered after a series of grave robbings. He is killed and his death motivates his uncle to hunt the Sawyers in the second movie.
Lieutenant "Lefty" EnrightSally and Franklin's uncle, who set out to find the Sawyer family. He is the main male protagonist of the second movie and is known for going up against Leatherface in a chainsaw duel.
BennyA survivalist in the third movie who meets up with the Final Girl and helps protect her from the Sawyer family.
- Badass: Like Lefty, went one on one with Leatherface.
Agent RothmanThe Sawyer's boss in The Next Generation. He is the apparent leader of the Illuminati, although he thinks the Sawyers are going to far. Eventually he steps in to stop Vilmer's massacre.
- Affably Evil: He may be the head of an evil organization, but he's nice enough to give Jenny a ride back home at the end.
- Bigger Bad: Of The Next Generation.
HeatherOne of Jenny's friends from The Next Generation. A completely air-headed bimbo who's Too Dumb to Live.
- Cloud Cuckoolander:
- I just had a really cool though! What if we got in a car crash and all of us died!
- Damsel in Distress: Captured at least 3 times by the family.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: The pretty, popular girl of the school, and a complete sweetheart.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Claims to be doing this to Barry; she's not actually convincing anyone.
- Popular Is Dumb: The most popular girl in the school, and easily the dumbest.
- Too Dumb to Live: Acts stupid on a consistent basis, and it does get her killed!
NikkiHeather Miller's friend who joins her to the mansion she inherited. Turns out she's sleeping with Heather's boyfriend. She is later shot in the face by a cop sent to seek out Leatherface.
- Anything That Moves: Nikki's entire character begins and ends with the fact she likes to act as slutty as possible and will do any guy with a pulse, even if he's her best friend's boyfriend.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Heather's best friend who's sleeping with her boyfriend.
- Boom Head Shot: By a cop, no less.
- Dumb Blonde: Predictably. She sees a guy with a chainsaw and walks CLOSER to him.
- Faux Action Girl: The producers and writers raved about what a bad-ass Nikki was because she can fire a shotgun (and miss, horribly) while saying "Welcome to Texas, motherfucker!" Fans don't see it.
- Forgotten Fallen Friend: By Heather
- Ms. Fanservice: Strips down to a bra and panties at one point
- Slashers Prefer Blondes: The only female character to die in the modern times segment
- Your Cheating Heart: Cheats on her own boyfriend, Kenny, with her best friend Heather's boyfriend, Ryan.
KennyNikki's boyfriend who comes along on the roadtrip with the others to see Heather's new mansion. He is an aspiring cook who is learning to be a chef. He is killed by Leatherface.
- Nice Guy: Unlike everyone else in the movie.
- Forgotten Fallen Friend: By Heather
- The Generic Guy: His only defining trait is that he's a cook.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Killed before any sort of character development occurs.
RyanHeather's boyfriend who joins her to collect her inheritance. It happens that he is cheating on Heather with her friend Nikki. Surprisingly, he not killed "directly" by Leatherface.
- Forgotten Fallen Friend: By Heather
- Shirtless Scene: After having sex with Nikki.
- Your Cheating Heart: Cheats on his girlfriend with her best friend.
Burt HartmanMayor of the town of Newt. Shortly after Sally escaped the Sawyers, he sets out to lead a lynch mob against the Sawyers; there where no survivors, as far as he knew. About twenty years later, he learns Leatherface is still alive and Heather is really Edith Sawyer, and he sets out once more to kill them.
- Anti-Villain: The Sawyers were and are a very dangerous family who have killed and consumed any hitch-hikers they came across but lynching them was far from justified since the sheriff was about to arrest Leatherface
- Big Bad: Of Texas Chainsaw 3D. He is the man who lynched the Sawyer family, and sets out to finish the job on Heather, making him a mutual enemy of Heather and Leatherface.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Simply by being a Sawyer, Heather is a target of Burt's vendetta.
- Knight Templar: Insists that killing the Sawyer family is "justice", but he did lynch the Sawyers just has the Sheriff was about to arrest Leatherface, and plans on killing Heather once he realizes he's Leatherface's cousin.
- Villain with Good Publicity: He is the mayor, and his victims were the Sawyers, so...
- Disproportionate Retribution: Helps his dad try to kill Heather because she's a sawyer.
Other Characters (Remake)
- The Big Guy: Tallest and strongest of the group.
- Sacrificial Lamb: The writer wanted to shock everyone by killing Kemper first. It seems to have worked.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Dies about 30 minutes into the remake.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The girly girl to Erin's tomboy.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: A mild example, as he looks for his friend in a tiny fridge and pontificates about what brains look like... After a girl kills herself in front of them.
- Dumb Muscle: Definitely the dimmest of the group, such as looking for Kemper in a refrigerator.
- Heroic Sacrifice: To save Erin, though, technically, Andy survives it....
- Mercy Kill: By Erin, he actually begs her for it.
- Groin Attack: With a chainsaw!!!! Ouch!
- Heroic Sacrifice: To save Erin.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He spends most the movie looking out for himself, but softens up by the ending and performs a heroic sacrifice to save Erin.
- No Respect Guy:Kemper: Morgan, how are you an expert on the dumbest shit?
- Redemption Equals Death: Morgan redeems himself by dying to save Erin.
- Bad Ass: Probably the most bad-ass human character of the series.
- Determinator: When it comes to protecting his brother and friends.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: By Leatherface.
- Heroic Sacrifice: To save Chrissie.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: By Leatherface.
- Nice Guy: Probably the nicest of the bunch.
- Break the Cutie: Driven completely insane after witnessing several murders and being raped by Sheriff Hoyt. Luda Mae tells Leatherface to "set her free". He does.
- Deadpan Snarker: "Is it proper police procedure for a dead body to be riding shotgun?"
- Ms. Fanservice: Particularly in lingerie.