"Awright awright awright."Matthew David McConaughey (born November 4, 1969) is an American actor best known for his roles in Romantic Comedies and a particularly epic Career Resurrection. After a series of minor roles in the early 1990s, McConaughey gained notice for his breakout role in Dazed and Confused (1993) and A Time to Kill in 1996. However, after that he starred in a series of box-office disappointments, with critics and audiences alike dismissing McConaughey as nothing more than a pretty boy actor.And then he accepted the titular role in William Friedkin's black comedy, Killer Joe. The character was a role that was so against the type he normally played that everyone started taking interest in McConaughey. What started out as a shocking example of He Really Can Act turned into one hell of a Career Resurrection (styled as the "McConnaissance") which contained movies such as The Lincoln Lawyer, Magic Mike and Dallas Buyers Club (for which he won the Best Actor Academy Award) and the HBO anthology drama True Detective.Was imitated by Jim Carrey on Saturday Night Live.
- Dazed and Confused (1993)
- A Time to Kill (1996)
- Contact (1997)
- EDtv (1999)
- Frailty (2001)
- Reign of Fire (2002)
- How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (2003)
- Sahara (2005)
- Tropic Thunder (2008)
- Killer Joe (2011)
- The Lincoln Lawyer (2011)
- Magic Mike (2012)
- Mud (2012)
- Dallas Buyers Club (2013) - Academy Award winner for Best Actor
- The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)
- True Detective (2014)
- Interstellar (2014)
- Free State of Jones (2016)
- Kubo and the Two Strings (2016)
- Sing (2016)
- The Dark Tower (2017)
This actor provides examples of:
- Anti-Hero: He has a tendency to play these.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: His role in The Wolf of Wall Street.
- Catch Phrase: David Wooderson's (McConaughey's character from Dazed and Confused) "Alright, alright, alright!" has become McConaughey's own catchphrase, especially since he dropped it during his Oscar speech. It's gotten to the point where people react with disappointment if he only says one "Alright" in front of a live audience.
- Crowning Moment of Heartwarming: His Oscar acceptance speech is definitely this.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: To the point where it's a Running Gag on RiffTrax.