Fool's Gold is an 2008 American adventure-romance film directed by Andy Tennant and starring Matthew McConaughey and Kate Hudson, reuniting them after How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, alongside Donald Sutherland, Ray Winstone, and Kevin Hart.Finn Finnegan (McConaughey) is a treasure hunter searching for a sunken Spanish galleon, the Aurelia, that was lost at sea with the 1715 Treasure Fleet. During his search to find the galleon and its treasure, his wife Tess (Hudson) divorces him. Tess has been working as a steward on a yacht owned by multi-millionaire Nigel Honeycutt (Sutherland). Finn finds a clue to the location of the treasure and manages to get on Nigel Honeycutt's yacht The Precious Gem and convince him and his daughter Gemma (Alexis Dziena) to join (and fund) the search for the treasure. But Finn's mentor, Moe Fitch (Winstone), and Bigg Bunny (Hart), a gangster, are intent on finding the treasure first.
This film features examples of:
- Amusing Injuries: Finn should have died from intracranial bleeding 30 minutes into the movie.
- Brainless Beauty: Gemma Honeycutt is attractive but very stupid.
- Every Car Is a Pinto: A small bike driven by Finn goes off a cliff and explodes in an absurdly massive fireball.
- Genius Ditz: Cleverly played with by dim heiress Gemma. Tess has been (impatiently) coaching Gemma to be smarter than she acts, so when Gemma has a sudden brainwave as the heroes return to their yacht, the audience naturally expects some amazing insight that will find the treasure they have been searching for while confirming Gemma is more than just an airhead. Actually, Gemma has only just realized that the name of her father's ship ("The Precious Gem") is similar to her name.
- I Know Mortal Kombat: When asked how he learned to fly the biplane they are riding in, Finn simply answers "PlayStation!".
- Last Minute Hookup: Gemma and Alfonz. He at least had formerly expressed love about her (or more exactly, expressed lust about in her in a fairly sleazy manner), but her attraction came out of absolutely nowhere (she had spent the film mooning over Finn).
- Nobody Over 50 Is Gay: The film features a couple of middle-aged gay chefs who'd been together for years.
- Shirtless Scene: One of the many 2000's films in which Matthew McConaughey did these.
- Upper-Class Twit: Gemma Honeycutt is a dimwitted, celebutante heiress.