Fools Rush In
is a 1997 romantic comedy starring Matthew Perry
and Salma Hayek
Alex (Perry) and Isabel (Hayek) get more than they bargained for from a one night stand. When Isabel finds Alex to let him know she's pregnant the two take the next logical step — they get married on the Vegas strip
that very night. But the romantic notion fades quickly and they learn that being married to someone you barely know is much harder than they thought, especially with a baby involved.
Provides Examples Of:
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Alex. Made better by the fact that it's Matthew Perry's real father.
"In case you haven't noticed...the white people are MELTING OUT HERE!
- Betty and Veronica: Subverted. Alex's parents have been trying to set him up with a friend of the family, but he finds her boring and irritating until Isabel wants a divorce so he agrees to go out with her. Not surprisingly, it doesn't last.
- But We Used a Condom: Alex's reaction to Isabel saying she's pregnant.
Alex: But I used a condom... I used a lot of condoms.
Isabel: Yeah, well, one of them didn't work.
Alex: But that's its job, its job is to WORK! Its entire reason for being is to WORK!
- Complete-the-Quote Title: The title doesn't really make sense considering it's a romantic comedy, until you hear the Elvis Presley lyric "Wise men say / only fools rush in / but I can't help / falling in love with you" in the film.
- Deadpan Snarker: Alex. Then again, it's Matthew Perry.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: On their honeymoon, Alex is trying to uncork a champagne bottle. When Isabel shows up in her nightie, Ready for Lovemaking, the cork pops off, spilling the champagne everywhere.
- Fourth Date Marriage: Actually their second date. Lampshaded by Isabel's friend while watching the married couple argue about where they're going to live, noting that it's the type of argument you'd see on a second date.
- Good Girls Avoid Abortion: Isabel tells Alex that she's made the only logical decision. Alex assumes she means abortion and is instantly relieved. Isabel is horrified and tells him that the only possible decision for her is to keep the baby.
- Gratuitous Spanish
- Hello, Nurse!: "Her? The one with the body?"
- Instant Birth, Just Add Water: Isabel's water breaks from the shock of Alex walking out in front of her car. By the time the ambulance arrives, she's already delivered their daughter.
- Marriage Before Romance: Isabel & Alex have a one night stand in Las Vegas which results in pregnancy. They decide to get married, move in together and then actually get to know each other.
- Meaningful Echo: "There are signs everywhere."
- My Sister Is Off-Limits!: Isabel's brothers are very protective and Alex suspects they may be plotting to kill him.
- Papa Wolf: Isabel's father drives his truck into freshly poured concrete and threatens Alex with a baseball bat when he finds out what has happened.
- Parental Marriage Veto: Alex and Isabel's fathers are vehemently against the marriage while their respective mothers aren't quite so sure it isn't meant to be.
- Race for Your Love: Alex trying to find Isabel before she has the baby.
- Real-Life Relative: Matthew Perry's father starring as... his father.
- The Reveal: Isabel lies to Alex, saying she lost the baby so that he'll break up with her. We're led to believe the baby is gone until we see Isabel at her grandmother's hacienda with her giant belly still intact.
- Rich in Dollars, Poor in Sense: Alex's parents, and the girl they're trying to set him up with appears to be this as well.
- Screaming Birth: Lampshaded.
Isobel: I hate you! I hate you! I hate you!
Dam Policeman: They always say that.
- Second-Act Breakup
- Shipper on Deck: Isabel's grandmother.
- Shotgun Wedding
- Shout-Out: Isabel's childhood friend's name is Chuy (pronounced "Chewy"). Guess how Alex introduces himself? "Hi, I'm Luke Skywalker."
- Spicy Latina: Isabel is a classic example
- Surprise Pregnancy
- Tough Room: Alex makes a Star Wars joke when Isabel introduces him to her former flame, Chuy. No one laughs.
- Twerp Sweating: Isabel's brothers have an awful go at Alex. How bad? They drag him out to a desert to go hunting and then he stumbles into a patch of rattlesnakes. The brother's solution? Shoot the snakes which are mere inches away from his feet. Then he falls into a cactus patch.
- Unintentional Period Piece: After the attacks of September 11, 2001, Hoover Dam was closed to through-traffic and a bypass bridge was built to route Highway 93 past the dam.
- Uptight Loves Wild
- Viva Las Vegas: Alex and Isabel get married on the strip after she tells him about the baby.