Film: We Are Marshall
"One day, not today, not tomorrow, not this season, probably not next season either but one day, you and I are gonna wake up and suddenly we're gonna be like every other team in every other sport where winning is everything and nothing else matters. And when that day comes, well thats, thats when we'll honor them."We Are Marshall is a 2006 film which tells the true story of the 1971 Marshall University football team's attempt to rebuild following a plane crash which kills most of the 1970 team and coaching staff returning from a game against East Carolina University. Most of the action involves the season after the crash, using surviving members of the team, players drawn from other sports, and freshmen (who were not normally allowed to play at the time).note The film ends with the "Young Thundering Herd"s victory against Xavier University.
— Coach Jack Lengyel, We Are Marshall
We Are Marshall contains examples of the following tropes:
- Arc Words: "We Are Marshall" - the school's cheer serves as this and a Title Drop.
- Balcony Speech/Rousing Speech: Inverted - School president Donald Dedmon is called to the balcony to see the assembled student body chanting "WE ARE MARSHALL!"
- Misfit Mobilization Moment: Nate Ruffin rallying the remaining team members to go gather up the student body for their inverted Balcony Speech.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: The "Young Thundering Herd" was made up of players who couldn't make the East Carolina trip, freshmen (who had to get special permission to play) , walk-ons and athletes from other sports.
- You Are in Command Now: Defied - Red Dawson, the only surviving member of the coaching staff, defers to new athletic director Jack Lengyel in leading the team.