Film: Wendy Wu: Homecoming Warrior
Wendy Wu: Homecoming Warrior
is a Disney Channel
Original movie about a girl named Wendy Wu (Brenda Song
) who wants to be homecoming queen. She is visited by a young monk named Shen, and learns that she is the descendant of a warrior named Mei Song and that she must become the Yin-warrior in order to fight an evil spirit named Yan-Lo.
The movie provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Wendy, though begrudgingly.
- Alpha Bitch: Jessica.
- Anti-Hero: Though Wendy has refused the call several times, as her training progresses, she's more concerned about becoming crowned Homecoming Queen than the world's well-being. Eventually, she gives this up so that Jessica can be Homecoming Queen.
- Actor Allusion: Sally Martin plays Tory, who drives a blue van and has a predisposition for the same color. Sounds very familiar.
- Because Destiny Says So: Wendy does not take this well.
- Beautiful All Along: Shin gets a makeover within in the middle of the movie, and become Mr. Fanservice as a result, though Wendy regrets this later on.
- Combat Parkour: This is used mainly to have cool fight scenes and has very little realistic value, but it is used a bit to dodge.
- Dark Action Girl: Jessica, possessed by Yan-Lo.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Inverted; Wendy lets her rival Jessica win the Homecoming Queen title, which touches Jessica enough to put her on good terms with Wendy as a result.
- Demonic Possession: Yan-Lo possesses several characters throughout the movie. The following order: the school principal and some of the staff members, Wendy's brother, then Tory, and finally Jessica.
- Don't Think. Feel
- Incest Is Relative: Wendy introduces Shen as her cousin to other people, but ends up acting a lot like a jealous girlfriend later. Somehow, no one comments on this.
- Mr. Fanservice: Shin after his makeover.
- Multiethnic Name: Wendy Wu.
- Narcissist: Wendy's boyfriend, who she dumps later on, thankfully.
- Playing Against Type: Brenda's character is more down-to-earth and mature compared to her's from The Suite Life series.
- Refusal of the Call: Wendy initially does not want to become the Yin-warrior.
- Relatively Flimsy Excuse: Wendy tells the others at school that Shen is her cousin. Her grandmother also tells the family that Shen is a relative from China.
- Screw Destiny: Shen was supposed to die during the battle Because Destiny Says So, but Wendy refuses to let that happen and uses her powers to save him. Turns out that by changing destiny, the evil spirit Yan-Lo is destroyed forever.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Yan-Lo.
- Talking Is a Free Action: During the final battle, Wendy's grandmother appears and talks to her for a while, culminating in her giving Wendy the tradition warrior outfit to change into, which she does. Meanwhile, Shan-yu just stays still and politely does not interrupt them.
- With Friends Like These...: A variation of this; Tory becomes possessed off-screen and nearly takes Wendy's soul, so as Shin knocks the orb out of Tory's hands, Wendy snaps out of it and sweeps Tory into the pool.