It's time for the second TV Tropes Halloween Avatar Contest, theme: cute monsters! Details and voting here.
Warriors of Terra
is a 2006 Canadian horror film in which a headstrong group of animal rights activists breaks into an animal research facility to stop the cruelty. Armed soldiers are alerted to their presence and rush in to apprehend them, forcing them to hide in the massive underground facility that the office building up top was a front for. Once inside, they find the true nature of the experiments, and must find a way to kill the evil mutant woman thing and escape with their lives.
This film provides examples of:
- Apocalyptic Log - The video logs detailing Maya's progression certainly qualify.
- Attack of the Killer Whatever
- Asshole Victim - Chris.
- Ax-Crazy - Tim, briefly. With an actual ax.
- Badass Normal - Tim.
- Bald Black Leader Guy - Leader of the soldiers.
- Black Dude Dies First - Averted. The black soldier is the last of his squad of 5 to be killed, surviving most of the movie.
- Cure For Cancer - Maya was created by a drug meant to cure cancer.
- Elaborate Underground Base
- Flash Step
- Gone Horribly Wrong - Maya is the product of a treatment that was supposed to cure cancer. Technically it did, but...
- Face-Heel Turn - Chris.
- Heroic Sacrifice - Ali's dad attempts this. Ali refused to let him... but he dies anyway.
- Ice Queen - Jade.
- Immune to Bullets - Though it is claimed Maya is not indestructible and that shooting her does hurt her, it sure doesn't ever come off that way.
- Magic Genetics - Apparently, beefing up ones immune system and tolerance to extreme climates also makes one telepathic and allows one to turn invisible and teleport. Oh, and bullets? Ha! Maya laughs at your two submachinegun magazines.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero - Oh god, where to start?
- The elevator was originally locked down, and the hacker of the group doesn't have enough time to crack it. Her solution is to 'purge the system', which unlocks the elevator and everything else controlled by the system. This is what releases the Big Bad.
- Ali is trying to find Maya. Her ultimate solution is to mock Maya, claiming "my dad did this to you, and you know what? I'M GLAD." This succeeds in coaxing out Maya, but also infuriates her to the point of mutating into an even more powerful monster-thing.
- Ali's dad insisted that Ali and Jade run to the elevator and allow him to either kill Maya, or, if he fails, allow the nerve gas backup plan to kill them both. Ali refuses, and when Maya kills her father, Ali and Jade try to finish the job. Jade is killed, which obviously wouldn't have happened if she listened to Ali's dad. Ali ultimately tries to simply trap Maya and then run for the elevator, where she would have already been if she listened to her father. Maya escapes and chases Ali - something she wouldn't have done if Ali had just run for it originally. Maya does her Flash Step thing to enter the elevator, which she wouldn't have done if Ali had run there originally, since Maya wouldn't have had any reason to go there. This allows Maya to escape the nerve gas, and when the elevator opened on the surface, it allowed her to escape completely. GOOD. BLEEPING. JOB. ALI.
- Non-Malicious Monster - For much of the film, it could be argued that Maya was simply hunting for food, as any animal would. Then Ali came along. See Nice Job Breaking It, Hero.
- Sympathy for the Devil - You can't blame Maya for being pissed off.
- The Virus - An interesting version. Maya feeds by using a toxin similar to Ebola, liquefying the insides of her victims. This is explained by the original cancer cure, while working perfectly on pigs, did not work on humans. The solution was to use a weakened strain of Ebola as a carrier. It worked, but... yeah. But the point is, touching the liquefied goo from a one of Maya's victims will produce Ebola-like symptoms in a person, though it is survivable if contact is a small amount.
- You Killed My Father - Tim's bout with Ax-Crazy-ness and subsequent bout with Badass Normal-ness stem from wanting to avenge Wayne's death at Maya's hands.