This is a character sheet for the series, Tenchi Muyo GXP
Main CharactersSeina Yamada
Voiced by: Shigeru Mogi (Japanese), Tony Oliver
extraordinaire. An extremely nice kid who just happens to possess the worst luck in the universe, though things eventually start going his way. Sports an ever-present band-aid on the upper-left side of his forehead.
The GP detective who accidentally scouted Seina , Amane is a former fashion model and daughter of one of the richer families in the galaxy
, who gave up her old life to become an Action Girl
. Yet another of Mihoshi's old partners.
A distant cousin of Tenchi's, Kiriko is Seina's childhood friend (with Tsundere
qualities) who has looked after him since they were little. Unbeknownst to him, she has also been working for the GP all this time.
- Betty and Veronica: The Betty to Amane's Veronica.
- Beware the Nice Ones/Let's Get Dangerous
- Good Is Not Soft: An extension of the above. Shank's crew attacking the ship? Seina's life in jeopardy? Kiriko dons her battle suit, activates its cloaking feature, and silently goes on the warpath, murdering space pirates left and right with laser-guided focus and not the slightest ounce of mercy—to the point that she failed to notice that Seina saw her blood-covered form while encountering Shank, his frightened reaction both surprising and distressing Kiriko for a time after.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Seina.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Kiriko gets adopted into Jurai's royal familynote both to power up their Cool Starship and to help her keep up with the rest of the competition.
- Hime Cut: She has the grace associated with the trope and ultimately becomes a princess of Jurai.
- Hot for Student: To be fair, she liked him before she became his teacher.
- Invisibility Flicker
- Satellite Character: A bit more character development than the others, but still applies.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Seina was so impressed by how she looked in Jurai formal wear he was disappointed when she switched back to her GP uniform.
- Something Else Also Rises: As she discovered trying to wake Seina up one morning.
- Tsundere: Mild Type B. She does her best to be polite to others and when she gets mad at Seina it's because she's worried about him.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: She's polite and graceful and just as 'devious and wicked' as the Devil Princess herself. She has long hair with a Hime Cut. Most importantly, she's the only one of Seina's love interests that's from Japan.
She's an honorable
space pirate who has somehow gained an immense fanclub among GP officers, who revere her as an idol. She tried to recruit Seina as a pirate on his way to the academy
, and they continued encountering each other afterwards. Named for the Ryoko of the original series
Neju/Neige na Melmas
Voiced by: Nana Mizuki
(Japanese), Marie Danielle (English)
A high priestess with Psychic Powers
whom Seina first meets on Jurai. She falls for Seina and decides to join up with his crew after being released from her duties. Despite being Really 700 Years Old
, she serves as the show's Token Mini-Moe
- Big Brother Instinct: Exploited. After hearing Seina has a little sister she calls him 'big brother' and acts like an adoring little sister.
- Deliberately Cute Child: Enjoys acting like a little kid despite being the oldest on the ship.
- Creepy Child: Her true nature is a powerful and scary old lady but her body looks like a little girl.
- Token Mini-Moe: Like Sasami before she's the cute little character. The difference is that she's not really a child.
- Satellite Character: Her character arc was resolved in her introduction.
Seina's Robot Buddy
(and Author Avatar
for the series' director, Shinichi Watanabe
). NB frequently ditches Seina in order to roam around videotaping the girls' locker rooms and peeping on his harem
and technical younger sister of the OVA's Ryo-Oh-Ki, Fuku is given to Seina after a particularly dangerous mission. Fuku acts as the mind and power source for Seina's second Cool Ship
, the Kamidake II.
- Berserk Button: Make Fuku cry? Deal with a Planet Destroyer!
- Cowardly Lion: Normally shy and afarid but with sufficient encouragement she can face a fleet of pirates.
- Meaningful Name: Means "luck," a shortening of 幸福 Koufuku (Good luck).
- Fridge Brilliance in-universe example: it's brought up why he didn't name her "kou" instead (because both "Kou" and "fuku" can be used to mean luck). He explains it's because "kou'" can also be used in 不幸 fukou for bad luck.
- The Power of Love: The more she is cared for by the crew the more power she can supply to the ship.
Supporting CharactersAiri Masaki
Chairwoman of the Galaxy Academy, and therefore the GP Academy. Yosho's wife, and therefore Tenchi's grandmo
— mother's mother
. Runs a small restaurant in her spare time.
- Berserk Button: Being called Grandmother.
- Eccentric Mentor
- Insistent Terminology: She hates being called "grandmother" or "grandma", despite the fact that she is Tenchi's grandmother.
- Maligned Mixed Marriage: Her relationship with Yosho was frowned upon, especially since she was already engaged, so when she first got pregnant by him she actually had the embryo removed and placed in stasis until she could break off her existing engagement and return to the Academy, where she had the embryo put back into her and gave birth naturally to her daughter Minaho.
- Pointy Ears: Shows that she's a native of Airai.
- Prim and Proper Bun
- Tangled Family Tree: Lampshaded — she literally pulls out a family tree diagram when she explains to Seina how she's related to Tenchi.
Seto Kamiki Jurai
Voiced by: Yukari Nozawa (Japanese), Melora Harte (English)
Feared by most of the galaxy as the "Oni (Devil) Princess of Jurai" (Jurai no Oni-hime
), she's a high-ranking member of Jurai's royal family, The Woman Behind The Emperor
, and Tenchi's great-great-great... well, grandfather's grandmother
. She's infamous for her use of The Plan
and also loves messing with people and their love lives for the lulz
. She makes Seina her special
friend early on...
- Badass Grandma: Kagato, the original Tenchi Big Bad, wouldn't mess with her.
- Cheshire Cat Grin: Whenever she's feeling mischievous, sometimes bordering on Slasher Smile.
- Gambit Roulette: Most of the series, especially Seina's love life, was orcastrated by her. The ''Roulette' is especially applicable here because her plans have to accomdate Seina's bad luck field.
- It Amused Me: Her primary hobby is causing chaos to relieve boredom (and collecting chew toys for this purpose).
- Insult Backfire: 'Devious and wicked' is a compliment.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She does mean well (in a twisted sense) and won't spread chaos that she can't fix.
- Mysterious Past: Heavily implied to have some sort of connection to Naja Akara, Washuu's fellow scientist and friend who disappeared mysteriously in the same area where the young Seto was rescued.
- Really 700 Years Old: She's somewhere between 5000 to 6000 years old. She looks looks like she's in her mid thirties.
- The Matchmaker: Both for political purposes and screwing with other people's lives.
- Manipulative Bastard: What she does in the love lives of others.
- Trickster Mentor: She wouldn't have to mess with them if they didn't need it.
A Wau Hot Scientist
who often functions as Seina's nurse, and happens to have an interest in Seina, despite the species gap. Elma is actually Ryoko (the one above) in disguise.
Mihoshi's mother, a janitor for the Galaxy Police. She's able to teleport randomly when she gets engrossed in cleaning; because of this, she's made friends in both Juraian royalty and among the space pirates. She has an Uncanny Family Resemblance
to her daughter.
A flashy, flamboyant man who serves as Seina's Sadist Teacher
during his academy days. He's incredibly bitter about having "lost" a duel against Tenchi in the main OVA storyline (he was the guy that came with the Jurai clan in Here Comes Jurai
and was originally assigned to marry Ayeka. He would up losing said duel when Mihoshi's ship splashed into the nearby lake and sweeping him into the water before he could even make a move), and as a result, has developed a particularly nasty hatred for earthlings
. Despite ostensibly being one of the "good guys" early on, he pulls a Face-Heel Turn
for the sake of his family's business after being kidnapped by pirates, and attempts to make himself into Seina's Rival
from then on.
- Ascended Extra: Didn't have much of a role in the original OVA, here he's expanded.
- Butt Monkey: Bad things happen to him regularly.
- Continuity Nod: His hatred for earthlings stems from "losing" to Tenchi in the OVA.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Despite his over confidence and idiotic behaviour, people know to not get into a fight with him.
- Face-Heel Turn: Early on for the sake of his family's business.
- General Failure: He's incompetent and most of his plans fail; his rank is due to nepotism.
- Genre Savvy: He's not really smart, but if anything can be said about him, he's at least competent enough to seek out lucky items to counter Seina and his bad luck.
- Giver of Lame Names: He was the one who decided to name the ship Unko, due to the fact that every other "lucky" name was taken at the time. It's supposed to mean "bringer of fortune", unfortunately for Seiryo, "Unko" also means, and is more commonly used to refer to, poop.
- Heel-Face Revolving Door: He worked for the GP and then to the pirates, then killed a pirate while still being a pirate and then almost bested the Big Bad for the heroes. Justified as he was forced by the needs of family business and disliked pirates before hand.
- Set Swords to Stun: Somehow does this with a Laser Sword, which was confusing even In-Universe.
- Took a Level in Badass: Seiryo was introduced in an OVA episode as a hyper-effiminate throwaway adversary who could be defeated by a splash of water. He was reintroduced in this show as a comic relief stalker villain whose role consisted largely of getting his butt kicked by Action Girl Amane. Later, he beats the Big Bad in a fight! He says, "Yep, I'm a badass" afterward.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: In the OVA, Seiryo was a slightly snobbish but reasonably respectful man who wanted to marry Princess Ayeka with her father's approval even if she was very reluctant. In this show, he's a stalker and a racist with a sadistic attitude toward one of his students. He eventually becomes one of the leaders of a crime syndicate that literally fights battles with the police force he used to be part of.
- Upper-Class Twit: His ego is bigger than his family's status.
Voiced by: Romi Park
(Japanese), Jessica Gee (English)
Another Space Pirate
. Ends up guarding Seiryo Tennan then serving under him.
Voiced by: Yuki Matsuda (Japanese), Kim Strauss
A Space Pirate
. Makes a classic entrance as a Knight of Cerebus
, but Seina's luck tends to undercut him anticlimactically. Implied to have a crush on Kiriko.
- The Determinator: He even survives his ship being crushed into a tiny ball by a Humongous Mecha.
- Dirty Coward: If the stakes are to high, he'll run away to plot revenge.
- Hollywood Cyborg: After a few too-narrow escapes.
- Kick the Dog: Crushes a Cabbit at one point.
- Knight of Cerebus: He tries to be this, it doesn't work.
- Sociopath Pirate: hunted Seina with a smile.
- Smug Snake
- We Can Rebuild Him: eventually gets a synthetic eye and arm.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: He's a relatively low key, ruthless bad guy who clearly thinks he's in a show that takes its Space Opera elements seriously. In reality, he's in a series that favors over the top hammy joke villains and fanservice humor over anything else. Really, it's like he took a wrong turn at Outlaw Star and ended up on this show somehow...
- He keeps trying to be a very, very dangerous foe. He keeps trying to cross the Moral Event Horizon. But this isn't that kind of show, so he's never allowed to be as evil as he wants to be.
- Especially the wedding fiasco. When called out on it, he only responds by laughing. He had a Psychotic Smirk right before laughing as well.
Voiced by: Toshihiko Nakajima (Japanese), Mel Dasher (English)
Leader of the Daruma Guild Pirates