Main CharactersSeina Yamada
Voiced by: Shigeru Mogi (Japanese), Tony Oliver (English)Cosmic Plaything extraordinaire. An extremely nice kid who just happens to possess the worst luck in the universe, though things eventually start going his way. Sports an ever-present band-aid on the upper-left side of his forehead.
- Amusing Injuries
- Born Unlucky
- The Chew Toy: Seto's personal chew toy.
- Chick Magnet: Not just his crew but handmaidens and the academy's nurse.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Kiriko.
- Clueless Chick Magnet: Seina is completely obvious to any girl who shows attraction to him.
- Cosmic Plaything: Played for Laughs; comically horrible things regularly happen to him and he always survives.
- Cursed with Awesome: Horrendous luck means nothing will go right when he's around. It also turns out to work on everyone indiscriminately so he gets a job with an extremely fat paycheck (the interest of his pay is enough for his family to upgrade from a family store to a supermarket!) and gets him married to 8 hot women and 1 Ridiculously Cute Critter.
- Determinator: Seina suffers through days of a Physical Training regimen designed for cadets with Super Strength just to prove to himself that he has the right to be there.
- Does Not Know His Own Strength
- Dojikko: He's frequently a Gender Flipped example of this trope.
- At the end of every episode you can see him repeatedly trip during the credits.
- Ensign Newbie
- Falling into the Cockpit
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: Seto realizes that a 'bad luck field' makes him great pirate bait and because the bad luck affects everyone around him, the pirates don't survive the encounter.
- The Jinx: His bad luck often bleeds off onto those around him.
- Marry Them All: An interesting case. At the end of the series he's about to get married to the four members of his harem only to have said harem increase due to four minor characters kidnapping him during the wedding and... well... sealing the deal.
- Mistaken for Badass: Amane only tries to recruit him because the fact that he knew Tenchi and survived her ship crashing meant that he knew the terrible secret of space. He does take multiple levels in Badass and becomes very influential in GP and Jurai ESPECIALLY near the finale when he becomes third in line to the Jurian throne (behind Yosho and Tenchi).
- Red Baron: "Lorelei" Seina.
- Unexpected Successor: Due to finding and bonding with the only other 1st gen Juraian Royal Tree in existence.
- Unfazed Everyman
- Unlucky Everydude: Redefined by Seina. WORSE than Tenchi.
- Unwanted Harem: He is uncomfortable to the point of 'scared' by all the female attention he gets. This is why he gets so much of it; more bad luck.
- Walking Wasteland: Of bad luck.
- Willfully Weak
Voiced by: Mariko Suzuki (Japanese), Dorothy Elias Fahn (English)The GP detective who accidentally scouted Seina , Amane is a former fashion model and daughter of one of the richer families in the galaxy, who gave up her old life to become an Action Girl and Ladette. Yet another of Mihoshi's old partners.
- Action Girl
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Kiriko's Betty.
- Big Fancy House: Her "second home" at the Academy.
- Call to Adventure: She delivered it to Seina.
- Cool Big Sis
- Daddy's Girl: She used to be one, but rebelled. Her father's still not over it.
- Expy: Of Akane Tendo, although in terms of name, family, and personality.
- As well as Ryoko from the main series.
- The Lad-ette
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl
- Hot for Student
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: She's a party girl and the reason Seina was pulled away from deary Earth into the excitement of Space.
- Motor Mouth: Amane sometimes gives Excel a run for her money.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Ojou: She's not a princess but sufficiently high status and wealthy.
- Satellite Character: Despite some attempts at development, it becomes clear that she exists largely to cling off of Seina for most of the series.
- The Tease
Kiriko MasakiTsundere qualities) who has looked after him since they were little. Unbeknownst to him, she has also been working for the GP all this time.
- Betty and Veronica: The Betty to Amane's Veronica.
- Beware the Nice Ones/Let's Get Dangerous: She's definitely one of the nicer girls, but don't let that fool you.
- Good Is Not Soft: An extension of the above. Shank's crew attacking the ship? Seina's life in jeopardy? Kiriko dons her battle suit, activates its cloaking feature, and silently goes on the warpath, murdering space pirates left and right with laser-guided focus and not the slightest ounce of mercy—to the point that she failed to notice that Seina saw her blood-covered form while encountering Shank, his frightened reaction both surprising and distressing Kiriko for a time after.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Seina.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Kiriko gets adopted into Jurai's royal familynote both to power up their Cool Starship and to help her keep up with the rest of the competition.
- Expy: of Ayame
- Hidden Depths: Kiriko isn't just a teacher/paper pusher - she's a hardened warrior that made one of the fiercest pirates freeze up when she glared at him.
- Hime Cut: She has the grace associated with the trope and ultimately becomes a princess of Jurai.
- Hot for Student: To be fair, she liked him before she became his teacher.
- Invisibility Flicker: When activating her suit's cloaking ability.
- Satellite Character: A bit more character development than the others, but still applies.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Seina was so impressed by how she looked in Jurai formal wear he was disappointed when she switched back to her GP uniform.
- Something Else Also Rises: As she discovered trying to wake Seina up one morning.
- Tsundere: Mild Type B. She does her best to be polite to others and when she gets mad at Seina it's because she's worried about him.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: She's polite and graceful and just as 'devious and wicked' as the Devil Princess herself. She has long hair with a Hime Cut. Most importantly, she's the only one of Seina's love interests that's from Japan.
Ryoko Balta/Baloutahonorable space pirate who has somehow gained an immense fanclub among GP officers, who revere her as an idol. She tried to recruit Seina as a pirate on his way to the academy, and they continued encountering each other afterwards. Named for the Ryoko of the original series.
- The Commies Made Me Do It
- Everything's Better with Princesses: She's related to a person who will become The Leader of a system.
- Absolute Cleavage: The red dress she wears when she finds out she's a princess.
- Expy: Of Peorth, in terms of look and mannerism.
- High-Heel–Face Turn: She's the only pirate to join the good guys and one of two females.
- I Owe You My Life: This is why she joined Seina's crew.
- Pirate Girl
- Satellite Character
- Third-Option Love Interest
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: For undisclosed reasons able to shapeshift into female humanoid and hybrid forms, such as Amane, Elma, or a mermaid. Lost princess of Baluta.
Neju/Neige na MelmasPsychic Powers whom Seina first meets on Jurai. She falls for Seina and decides to join up with his crew after being released from her duties. Despite being Really 700 Years Old, she serves as the show's Token Mini-Moe.
- Big Brother Instinct: Exploited. After hearing Seina has a little sister she calls him 'big brother' and acts like an adoring little sister.
- Deliberately Cute Child: Enjoys acting like a little kid despite being the oldest on the ship.
- Creepy Child: Her true nature is a powerful and scary old lady but her body looks like a little girl.
- Token Mini-Moe: Like Sasami before she's the cute little character. The difference is that she's not really a child.
- Satellite Character: Her character arc was resolved in her introduction.
NBRobot Buddy (and Author Avatar for the series' director, Shinichi Watanabe). NB frequently ditches Seina in order to roam around videotaping the girls' locker rooms and peeping on his harem.
- Abhorrent Admirer: NaBiko, a Distaff Counterpart robot built to chase him around.
- Author Avatar: Oddly enough, he has little in common with Shinichi Watanabe's usual avatar Nabeshin, like in Excel Saga.
- Black Comedy Rape: Of robots by Fembots.
- Dirty Old Man: NB. Quite unusual behavior a Robot Buddy...
- Kansai Regional Accent
- Lovable Sex Maniac
- Second Law My Ass: He tells Seina what to do instead of the other way around.
- Write Who You Know
Voiced by: Tomoko Kaneda (Japanese), Deanna Morris (English)Expy and technical younger sister of the OVA's Ryo-Oh-Ki, Fuku is given to Seina after a particularly dangerous mission. Fuku acts as the mind and power source for Seina's second Cool Ship, the Kamidake II.
- Berserk Button: Make Fuku cry? Deal with a Planet Destroyer!
- Cowardly Lion: Normally shy and afarid but with sufficient encouragement she can face a fleet of pirates.
- Meaningful Name: Means "luck," a shortening of 幸福 Koufuku (Good luck).
- Fridge Brilliance in-universe example: it's brought up why he didn't name her "kou" instead (because both "Kou" and "fuku" can be used to mean luck). He explains it's because "kou'" can also be used in 不幸 fukou for bad luck.
- The Power of Love: The more she is cared for by the crew the more power she can supply to the ship.
Supporting CharactersAiri Masakigrandmo — mother's mother. Runs a small restaurant in her spare time.
- Berserk Button: Being called Grandmother.
- Eccentric Mentor
- Insistent Terminology: She hates being called "grandmother" or "grandma", despite the fact that she is Tenchi's grandmother.
- Maligned Mixed Marriage: Her relationship with Yosho was frowned upon, especially since she was already engaged, so when she first got pregnant by him she actually had the embryo removed and placed in stasis until she could break off her existing engagement and return to the Academy, where she had the embryo put back into her and gave birth naturally to her daughter Minaho.
- Pointy Ears: Shows that she's a native of Airai.
- Prim and Proper Bun
- Tangled Family Tree: Lampshaded — she literally pulls out a family tree diagram when she explains to Seina how she's related to Tenchi.
Seto Kamiki Jurai
Voiced by: Yukari Nozawa (Japanese), Melora Harte (English)Feared by most of the galaxy as the "Oni (Devil) Princess of Jurai" (Jurai no Oni-hime), she's a high-ranking member of Jurai's royal family, The Woman Behind The Emperor, and Tenchi's great-great-great... well, grandfather's grandmother. She's infamous for her use of The Plan and also loves messing with people and their love lives for the lulz. She makes Seina her special friend early on...
- Badass Grandma: Kagato, the original Tenchi Big Bad, wouldn't mess with her.
- Cheshire Cat Grin: Whenever she's feeling mischievous, sometimes bordering on Slasher Smile.
- Gambit Roulette: Most of the series, especially Seina's love life, was orcastrated by her. The ''Roulette' is especially applicable here because her plans have to accomdate Seina's bad luck field.
- It Amused Me: Her primary hobby is causing chaos to relieve boredom (and collecting chew toys for this purpose).
- Especially the wedding fiasco. When called out on it, she only responds by laughing. She had a Psychotic Smirk right before laughing as well.
- Insult Backfire: 'Devious and wicked' is a compliment.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She does mean well (in a twisted sense) and won't spread chaos that she can't fix.
- Mysterious Past: Heavily implied to have some sort of connection to Naja Akara, Washuu's fellow scientist and friend who disappeared mysteriously in the same area where the young Seto was rescued.
- Really 700 Years Old: She's somewhere between 5000 to 6000 years old. She looks looks like she's in her mid thirties.
- The Matchmaker: Both for political purposes and screwing with other people's lives.
- Manipulative Bastard: What she does in the love lives of others.
- Trickster Mentor: She wouldn't have to mess with them if they didn't need it.
Voiced by: Niina Kumagaya (Japanese), Rebecca Forstadt (English)A Wau Hot Scientist who often functions as Seina's nurse, and happens to have an interest in Seina, despite the species gap. Elma is actually Ryoko (the one above) in disguise.
- Cat Girl
- Mistress of Disguise: She disguises herself as Amane in one episode to lure Seina in to be experimented on.
- The Mole
Mitoto KuramitsuUncanny Family Resemblance to her daughter.
- Almighty Janitor: A literal janitor who has friends in high places on both sides of the law.
- Cloud Cuckoolander
- Dark-Skinned Blonde
- Generation Xerox: She's basically an older, more mature, and (vaguely) more competent version of Mihoshi.
- Genius Ditz
- No Sense of Direction: She's been everywhere possible. This is a woman who can get aboard a pirate ship while cleaning the bathroom at the Galaxy Police HQ.
VillainsSeiryo TennanSadist Teacher during his academy days. He's incredibly bitter about having "lost" a duel against Tenchi in the main OVA storyline (he was the guy that came with the Jurai clan in Here Comes Jurai and was originally assigned to marry Ayeka. He would up losing said duel when Mihoshi's ship splashed into the nearby lake and sweeping him into the water before he could even make a move), and as a result, has developed a particularly nasty hatred for earthlings. Despite ostensibly being one of the "good guys" early on, he pulls a Face–Heel Turn for the sake of his family's business after being kidnapped by pirates, and attempts to make himself into Seina's Rival from then on.
- Ascended Extra: Didn't have much of a role in the original OVA, here he's expanded.
- Butt Monkey: Bad things happen to him regularly.
- Continuity Nod: His hatred for earthlings stems from "losing" to Tenchi in the OVA.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Despite his over confidence and idiotic behaviour, people know to not get into a fight with him.
- Face–Heel Turn: Early on for the sake of his family's business.
- General Failure: He's incompetent and most of his plans fail; his rank is due to nepotism.
- The man could be Zapp Brannigan's more-effeminate cousin.
- Genre Savvy: He's not really smart, but if anything can be said about him, he's at least competent enough to seek out lucky items to counter Seina and his bad luck.
- Giver of Lame Names: He was the one who decided to name the ship Unko, due to the fact that every other "lucky" name was taken at the time. It's supposed to mean "bringer of fortune", unfortunately for Seiryo, "Unko" also means, and is more commonly used to refer to, poop.
- Heel–Face Revolving Door: He worked for the GP and then to the pirates, then killed a pirate while still being a pirate and then almost bested the Big Bad for the heroes. Justified as he was forced by the needs of family business and disliked pirates before hand.
- Set Swords to Stun: Somehow does this with a Laser Sword, which was confusing even In-Universe.
- Took a Level in Badass: Seiryo was introduced in an OVA episode as a hyper-effiminate throwaway adversary who could be defeated by a splash of water. He was reintroduced in this show as a comic relief stalker villain whose role consisted largely of getting his butt kicked by Action Girl Amane. Later, he beats the Big Bad in a fight! He says, "Yep, I'm a badass" afterward.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: In the OVA, Seiryo was a slightly snobbish but reasonably respectful man who wanted to marry Princess Ayeka with her father's approval even if she was very reluctant. In this show, he's a stalker and a racist with a sadistic attitude toward one of his students. He eventually becomes one of the leaders of a crime syndicate that literally fights battles with the police force he used to be part of.
- Upper-Class Twit: His ego is bigger than his family's status.
Voiced by: Romi Park (Japanese), Jessica Gee (English)Another Space Pirate. Ends up guarding Seiryo Tennan then serving under him.
- Amazonian Beauty
- Call Back: Seina takes a moment to say hi near the end, having only met her once.
- Only Sane Woman: lampshades this when commenting that her sanity is only making Seiryo dumber than ever.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: dark blue
Voiced by: Yuki Matsuda (Japanese), Kim Strauss (English)A Space Pirate. Makes a classic entrance as a Knight of Cerebus, but Seina's luck tends to undercut him anticlimactically. Implied to have a crush on Kiriko.
- The Determinator: He even survives his ship being crushed into a tiny ball by a Humongous Mecha.
- Dirty Coward: If the stakes are to high, he'll run away to plot revenge.
- Hollywood Cyborg: After a few too-narrow escapes.
- Kick the Dog: Crushes a Cabbit at one point.
- Knight of Cerebus: He tries to be this, it doesn't work.
- Sociopath Pirate: hunted Seina with a smile.
- Smug Snake
- We Can Rebuild Him: eventually gets a synthetic eye and arm.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: He's a relatively low key, ruthless bad guy who clearly thinks he's in a show that takes its Space Opera elements seriously. In reality, he's in a series that favors over the top hammy joke villains and fanservice humor over anything else. Really, it's like he took a wrong turn at Outlaw Star and ended up on this show somehow...
- He keeps trying to be a very, very dangerous foe. He keeps trying to cross the Moral Event Horizon. But this isn't that kind of show, so he's never allowed to be as evil as he wants to be.
Voiced by: Toshihiko Nakajima (Japanese), Mel Dasher (English)Leader of the Daruma Guild Pirates.
- Affably Evil
- Big Bad
- Meaningful Name: Da Ruma is named after (and all his stuff resembles) round dolls depicting Bodhidharma (called Daruma in Japanese), which are a type of good luck charm.