This is a listing of characters who appear in the anime and manga series Special A
. Names are in Western order (ie. First name first). Beware of unmarked spoilers!
open/close all folders
Special A Students
Hikari knows what it feels to always be second to someone else. After all, she's still ranked second in the school, meaning she's still failed to beat Kei Takishima at something
: something she's been trying to do since they were six years old. She even followed Kei to Hakusenkan just to beat him, which costs her family a lot of money. It's not that she's incompetent, however: Hikari is still incredibly strong
, incredibly smart
, and incredibly pretty. She's just that oblivious to Kei's feelings for her.
- Academic Athlete
- Action Dress Rip: Chapter 10/Episode 6.
- Action Girl: Hikari is frequently shown training, and it shows — the only times she's collapsed involved injury/illness combined with a rather large amount of exertion (after competing in several matches). Moreover, the only time she's lost any of those are, of course, when up against Kei. Further, she's yet to lose any physical fights she's been in, though you'd think she was made of cracked glass the way Kei reacts to the prospect of her fighting.
- Alliterative Name
- Badass Adorable
- The Beautiful Elite
- Berserk Button: Anyone claiming that she's second-best. Kei intentionally invokes her ire most often by constantly calling her "Miss Second Place," but Yahiro isn't above teasing her with this. Taken Up to Eleven in the final competition between Kei and Hikari in the series - Kei has to find the real Hikari amongst a host of impostors, and Kei gets creeped out when they all respond appropriately to "Miss Second Place" in unison.
- Beware the Nice Ones: You don't want her mad at you. Really.
- Big Eater: Oh, dear.
- Can Not Spit It Out: Mere minutes after realizing that she's fallen for Kei, she hears someone say that "the first one to fall in love loses." As she continues her obsession with defeating Kei in something, she absolutely refuses to be the first to confess.
- Chapter 53/54 in the manga, she does spit it out. MUCH EARLIER THAN THE ANIME.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Kei.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Whenever she's sick.
- Cute Bruiser
- Determinator/Plucky Girl: Hikari will not give up, no matter how many times she's been defeated, at beating Kei. She won't give up on anything else, either, though her intelligence and strength result in her not needing to continue for too long generally.
- Genki Girl
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: Anytime anyone assumes Kei and Hikari are dating, her response is a cheery "He and I are rivals," with her laughing merrily and Kei looking like he just ate a lemon.
- Lethal Chef: The area in which she is least talented in, and only because she's so strong.
- Well, it's also shown that she doesn't really bother to season her food. So not only is it a dense, homogenized mess, it takes like dishwater (unless you're named Kei Takishima).
- Na´ve Everygirl
- Noodle People: Considering how strong she is.
- Oblivious to Love: Oh, so much. She's so focused on her and Kei's rivalry that she can't even take a hint.
- Selective Obliviousness: Only towards her, though. She quickly perceives someone's attraction to someone else - more than one Face Palm ensues after people realize she sees everyone's romantic intentions except Kei's.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: With Kei.
- Scholarship Student: Well, not really, as the Hanazono family is shown to scrimp so that Hikari can go to the same school as everyone else, but the effect's the same.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Kei.
- Sink-or-Swim Mentor
- Serious Business: Beating Kei.
- Super Strength
- Takishima Is Always Better
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: She sees herself as this towards Kei; which is why Yahiro pisses her off when he declares he's beaten Kei once. Of course, the game of tag was rigged.
- Unknown Rival: Hikari gets a bunch of these, as several people wishing to become the center of attention for Kei try to get rid of her. She completely misses the point.
- You Are Number Six: Kei often calls her "Number Two" to provoke her. It works.
- You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Angry
So you're the handsome elder son of the filthy rich CEO of the Takishima Corporation. You're ranked first in your school and have a natural talent for everything you do
. You excel in every single subject, from athletics to mathematics. Everything just comes easy for you, doesn't it? Oh, wait. That's not you.
And it's true: the only problem poor Kei has is that Hikari just doesn't get his feelings for her.
The son of two famous musicians and Megumi's younger twin brother, Jun is ranked third in school. Because of his upbringing he loves music more than anything else: it's just that he has little to no talent for it. Jun, like Megumi, is fiercely protective of Ryuu because he's been kind to them since they were children and is always looking out for the two of them. Generally quiet and unassuming, whenever he's kissed by a girl, his Split Personality ("Dark Jun") comes out, giving him the ability to charm all women effortlessly. This was the result of a TV program he watched as a child.
Jun is terrified of this because it caused the girl he was dating to dump him in disgust. And the reason he falls for Sakura is because she's willing to accept him despite this.
Jun's older twin sister, Megumi is ranked fourth in school. Like Jun, she values music more than anything else, and is a singer. She rarely speaks to preserve her voice (and her singing is ''quite'' powerful as a result
. However, her voice is gorgeous when she sings in an open area.
. Also like Jun, she's very protective of Ryuu for the same reasons her brother is (ie. during tests he's making sure they don't fall asleep, etc.) Later in the anime she develops a crush on Yahiro. In the manga, this is after pretending to like him to make sure he doesn't mess up Akira and Tadashi's relationship.
The cheerful son of the school's director, Tadashi is ranked fifth in school and is always goofing around. He has a tendency to just wander around and do what he wants to do. He has a penchant for sweet things
and Akira's cooking
. Because of his personality, he ends up being the character most comically attacked
Akira is ranked sixth in school and is the daughter of the owner of a famous airline company. She has a talent for cooking and is the one who whips up the group's afternoon snacks. She is very fond of Hikari and usually won't do anything unless Hikari agrees to it. She was good friends with Kei and Yahiro as a child, except that after Yahiro drove her only friend Sayo away she began hating him for it.
She enjoys beating Tadashi up and they end up as the series' first Official Couple.
Seventh in their grade, Ryuu is the son of a sports car company's CEO. He is very good at handling children, animals, and plants. The twins adore him, primarily because the three of them have been together since childhood and since meeting them he's always been looking out for them.
Other Hakusenkan Characters
Finn Coupe Shuzette
- Out of Focus: First appears to be set up as a major antagonist for the Special A kids, but then gets sent to the hospital and doesn't reappear until near the end of the series.
- Student Council President: Although the student council is weak and ineffectual as compared to the influence the Special A class has.
An old friend of Akira and Kei's, they haven't seen much of him after a mutual falling out that no one likes to talk about. A seemingly affable young man with a sinister streak and a love of screwing with people's heads, Yahiro serves as the main antagonist for the first part of the series. A master manipulator, Yahiro does his utmost to conceal his real agenda from everyone
, all while doing his best to look like an unsympathetic jackass.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: His hair is brown in the manga, pink in the anime.
- Almost Kiss: In the anime he almost kisses Megumi but is interrupted by Tadashi. He actually yells at him for spoiling the mood.
- Ambiguously Evil: It's pretty hard to tell how we're supposed to view Yahiro for much of the series.
- Badass: He actually scares Kei. That's gotta count for something.
- The Beard: In one arc in the manga, Megumi has told her mother that she will bring her boyfriend to a concert that the family will be attending. Only thing is, she doesn't have a boyfriend. Guess who gets roped into filling this role?
- Big Damn Heroes: In the anime finale. Twice.
- Broken Ace: He's a toned down Kei with a side of self-loathing.
- Defeating the Undefeatable: He actually managed to beat Kei in a game of tag when they were younger by locking the door while Kei was counting. Slippery.
- Easily Forgiven: Averted for some time, to the point where when Jun and Ryu catch him with Megumi violence nearly ensues. Also completely averted with Akira, as it's hinted that she's refused to speak with him for seven or eight years due to her anger.
- Evil Former Friend: How Akira and Kei see him anyway.
- Evil Genius: He's at least as smart as the members of the Special A.
- For the Evulz: Acts like this is his motivation for screwing with Akira and Kei.
- Heel-Face Turn: After Akira gets together with Tadashi and Megumi takes an interest in him.
- Hidden Depths: He really does value both Kei and Akira and is willing to appear the villain to both of them to keep them from getting hurt.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: His entire motivation. He drives off anyone who poses a threat to Akira while taking the blame so she'll never know she was betrayed. After she gets together with Tadashi he promptly drops out of the picture.
- If You Ever Do Anything to Hurt Her...: He mentally remembers doing it to multiple people in regards to Akira in the past, and he does it in-series to Tadashi, who isn't threatened at all by it (Yahiro assumes, initially, that it's because Tadashi is an idiot).
- It Amused Me: In the manga, he claims this is why he hangs out with Megumi and helps her with her singing. Right...
- Jerkass Fašade: See Zero-Approval Gambit below.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Knight Templar: Towards Akira and Kei.
- Lonely Rich Kid: He's got more money, and fewer friends, than even Kei.
- Love Makes You Evil: He's acts like a possessive jerk towards Akira and is a Poisonous Friend to Kei. In both cases, he's motivated by genuine concern and believes they'll be better off for it.
- Manipulative Bastard: Does his best to make sure no one understands his motives.
- Pair the Spares: With Megumi. The relationship is a little better developed in the manga.
- Poisonous Friend: To Kei and Akira.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Despite his pink suit and hair he's never made out to be a Sissy Villain.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!
- Ship Tease: With Megumi. They never come out and admit they're together but Everyone Can See It. Here's a hint guys—after your third or fourth pretend date you've officially Become The Mask.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: Towards Akira.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: His intentions are good. His methods suck.
- Wicked Cultured: He's an opera buff, and actually enjoys Megumi's singing.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Pink actually.
- Zero-Approval Gambit: He'd rather have Akira focus her hatred on him, completely destroying their friendship, than admit he was trying to protect her from a Gold Digger friend. He later pulls a similar routine on Kei.
- Hero-Worshipper: He adores Kei.
- Ill Boy: He's rather prone to stomach ailments, which exacerbates his lack of appetite.
- Picky Eater: Aoi apparently has an extremely dull sense of taste, and thus everything tastes remarkably bland to him. As such, he tends to not eat.
- Poisonous Friend: In Kei's eyes; since Aoi is loyal to Kaname (Kei's grandfather) and instrumental in executing many of his plots, Kei resents Aoi's presence.
- Absurdly Youthful Father
- Cross-Dressing Voices
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: He's competent enough (though not nearly as much as his wife or son), but he acts about as old as he looks.
- Older Than They Look: He looks like an extra-tall version of Sui, although he's in his late thirties.
- Wrestler in All of Us: He's a huge fan of pro wrestling, and attempts to wrestle with Hikari whenever they meet as a greeting. Stretching back, the entire plot is set in motion because of his wrestling fandom. He's a part of the same wrestling fan club as Hikari's father, who invited Satoru and Kei over to visit... which resulted in Hikari challenging Kei, losing to him for the first time, and starting her obsession.
- Berserk Button: Anything to do with Kaname.
- Tsundere: Unusually, as a reaction, not as a default. She's more tsuntsun towards people who act stoic towards her (like Kei), but she has no problems opening up if people are acting warm towards her (she positively adores Hikari).
- Uncanny Family Resemblance: Kei looks like a male version of Midori with shorter hair.
Voiced by: Kazuya Ichijo (Japanese)
- Anti-Villain: Eventually revealed to have tried pushing Kei and Hikari apart because he didn't want to see Kei go through the heartbreak of losing someone dear to him, like he did.
- The Atoner: Towards Midori, as he blames himself just as much for his wife's death as Midori does.
- Big Bad: Drives much of the "keep Kei and Hikari apart" plot once they get their Relationship Upgrade halfway through the manga.
Voiced by: Atsushi Imaruoka (Japanese), Jason Grundy (English)