movie. For the characters of the video game the movie was based on see:
Rose Da Silva
Played By: Radha MitchellThe Hero
of the film, Rose Da Silva goes to Silent Hill to solve what her daughter's connection to the doomed town is. She turned from a helpless woman to an Action Mom
during the course of the film, willing to do anything to retrieve her daughter when she disappears, even making a questionable Deal with the Devil
- Anti-Hero: Considering she was willing to let Alessa rip apart the cultists, she's at least a Type III.
- Catch Phrase: "SHARON!"
- Distaff Counterpart / Gender Flip: The film was originally meant to feature the game's hero Harry Mason, but the director changed him to Rose due to Harry apparently being very feminine due to being afraid of the monsters and being concerned for his daughter.
- Fright Deathtrap: Rose and Sharon are nearly killed in their SUV when Dark Alessa walks into the road.
- Knight Templar Parent: Rose is willing to help Alessa butcher the Cult members if it means getting Sharon back.
Christopher Da Silva
Rose's husband who is left behind when his wife and daughter run off to Silent Hill, and spends most of the film playing Sherlock trying to track down Sharon's origins and learns of her connection to Alessa Gileppsie. He has been confirmed to appear in the film's sequel, under the alias of Harry Mason.
- Executive Meddling: The producers requested the character's role to be expanded, which may have been a good thing if his new identity as Harry Mason for the sequel is brought into account.
- Henpecked Husband: Rose seems a bit dominating over him.
A highway patrol cop from Brahams, Cybil pursues Rose and Sharon after realising they're heading to Silent Hill and ends up trapped in the foggy town with them, becoming Rose's Lancer
. She sacrifices herself to the Cult to save Rose and is burnt to death.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Cybil sacrifices herself to the Cult to allow Rose to reach Alessa. She is later burnt to death by the cult.
Played By: Deborah Kara Unger
Alessa's mother, Dahlia was convinced by Christabella to "purify" her daughter, leading to Alessa's burning. Dahlia is banished from the Cult after realising the error of her ways, now wandering Silent Hill as the only citizen to be unharmed by Alessa's monsters, and becomes quite frantic when Rose, Cybil and Sharon appear in town.
Officer Thomas Gucci
Played By: Kim Coates
A police officer who has a connection to Silent Hill, having rescued Alessa from the fire
and is the only known citizen to escape Silent Hill before Alessa turned it into hell. He accompanies Christopher to Silent Hill to look for Rose and Sharon.
- The Reveal: Officer Gucci is revealed to be the one who saved Alessa from her burning.
Played By: Tanya Allen
A citizen of Silent Hill, Anna was born and raised on the Cult's lies and knows very little about the outside world or the town's own history, let alone the crimes the Cult performed on Alessa. Due to her upbringing, she possesses a very childlike demeanour. She hangs around with Rose and Cybil for a while, before being ripped apart by Pyramid Head outside the Cult's chapel.
- Body Horror: Anna is grabbed by Pyramid Head, who rips her clothes off, and then rips her skin off.
Played By: Alice Krige
The leader of the Cult of Silent Hill, Christabella is a monster to say the least, leading the crazy cult members to burn Alessa at the stake. Now twice as mad and manipulative, Christabella has fooled the condemned cult members that Alessa is a demon, and the only way to survive is to burn people at the stake
. She and the rest of the Cult are the targets of Alessa's justified revenge and meet their well-deserved ends in the bloody climax of the film when Rose allows Alessa to enter the chapel and slice and dice Christabella and co. with barbed wire tentacles.
- Corrupt Church: Leader of one.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Christabella is killed by Alessa's barbed wire tentacles which suspend her in midair, enter her body vaginally and anally, exit through her mouth and chest, and rip her in two.
- Decomposite Character: The film removes the evil and fanaticism of the video game version of Dahlia and gives it to Christabella, who doesn't exist in the game.
- Karmic Death: Christabella and her cult followers are massacred by the little girl they burnt thirty years ago. And she enabled the massacre by stabbing Rose in the chest, thus allowing Alessa's Darkness to seep into the church through her blood.
- Manipulative Bitch: She's fooled her followers for over thirty years to burn innocent women.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Is quite reasonable and even kind to anyone she thinks isn't connected to Alessa. She even helps Rose and Cybil to the hospital, and gives Rose the advice to memorize the map, which later helps her greatly.
The Apocalypse Maiden
and major Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds
, Alessa was nine years old when the Cult accused her of being a witch or a demon and had her burnt at the stake. She survived thanks to the sacrifice being botched, and the arrival of her mother and Officer Gucci. Now a vengeance-seeking Little Miss Badass
, Alessa has trapped the Cult members in a nightmarish version of the town and split herself into two different other forms: Dark Alessa, her evil side, and Sharon Da Silva
, her good side. She lures her good side to Silent Hill to get her revenge.
- Dark and Troubled Past: She was abused by her schoolmates, raped by the school janitor, and then burnt alive by the town's crazy cult of witch hunters.
- Expy: Her bedridden adult form with barbed wire tendrils is visually similar to the monster form of Maria/Mary from Silent Hill 2.
- Fusion Dance: Alessa is reborn when Sharon and Dark Alessa are reunited.
- Psychotic Smirk: After she saves Rose from a cultist by pulverising him with her barbed wire.
Sharon Da Silva
The adoptive daughter of Rose and Christopher, Sharon is actually the good side of Alessa
. Her strange dreams lead her and Rose to Silent Hill, Sharon disappearing and leading Rose on a wild goose chase around the town of shifting horrors. The Cult try to burn her at the stake, but Rose arrives and has Alessa kill all of them, but Dark Alessa bonds with Sharon, re-creating Alessa.
- All Just a Dream: Rose tries to convince Sharon that everything is just a bad dream. And this after she's been tied up, watched a police officer get burnt alive, and all the cult followers getting massacred by her true self.
- Doorstop Baby: She was left on the doorstep of Toluca Lake Orphanage by Dark Alessa.
The dark side of Alessa, Dark Alessa is a Stringy-Haired Ghost Girl
and a Creepy Child
, and she knows it. She represents Alessa's anger and desires to have revenge on the Cult. She can manipulate the monsters in Silent Hill, and lures Rose around the town until she reaches Alessa's bedroom in the hospital. When Alessa's revenge finally comes, Dark Alessa relishes in the gore. She later bonds with Sharon to create a new Alessa.
- Blood Lust: She wishes to dance in the blood of the cult members, which she gets to do in the film's climax.
- Creepy Child: And she knows it.
An innocent nurse who cared for Alessa after she was burnt. She took a look at Alessa's burnt body and was unintentionally punished by Alessa's wrath, now forced to bleed from her face constantly. Alessa has since come to regret punishing her.
- Nose Bleed: Also an eye bleed, ear bleed, head bleed, and full facial bleed.
Armless Man (Laying Figure)
One of the several monsters in the film, the Armless Man (or Men) is a featureless humanoid thing with its arms wrapped into its ribcage, making it walk about like someone in a straitjacket. It attacks Rose and Cybil, shooting acid at them. It's based on the Lying Figure monster from Silent Hill 2
- Hollywood Acid: It takes out Cybil's police helmet, jacket, and shades.
- Not a Zombie: Just LOOK at this guy, and you can instantly question why Cybil would even bother trying to talk sense to it or expect it to obey a police officer.
An army of wailing, burnt, deformed children that approach Rose during the first time the town shifts into the Otherworld. They may have been Alessa's schoolmates, or more likely, the representation of Alessa after she was burned (they reach out to Rose as if seeking comfort from her, as Alessa wanted her mother after she was burned).
- Body Horror: Their skin and facial features are twisted around so their faces are on the sides of their heads.
Rose encounters an army of twenty odd undead nurses, wrapped in bandages and brandishing weapons. They respond to light and end up attacking each other when Rose sneaks her way through the group to Alessa's hospital room.
Colin the Janitor
Colin the Janitor was the caretaker of the school Alessa went to. It is implied that he rapes her. He pays dearly, his corpse being found by Rose, strung up in a toilet cubicle by barbed wire. It gets worse when his body comes to life and starts crawling across the floor towards Rose.
- Body Horror: Colin is strung up in barbed wire and when his corpse springs to life, we see his legs have been bound to the back of his head, more barbed wire is going into his eyes, and he is forced to crawl about using his hands only.
- Bound and Gagged: The first part anyway, his black tongue often dangles out of his mouth.
- Chained to a Rock: Or changed to a toilet cubicle, and his legs to his head.
- Room Full of Crazy: He died in a toilet cubicle where everything is wrapped in barbed wire and words across the wall read "Dare You! Double Dare You!"
- Walking Wasteland: Colin can rot away anything he touches, as well as summon Creeper insects.
The iconic pyramid-helmet wearing Ensemble Darkhorse
, Pyramid Head is an executioner-like monster and the most threatening of the monsters seen in the film (the non-human monsters anyway). He appears twice, but he leaves quite an impression, killing poor Anna outside the chapel.
- BFS: The Great Knife that he carries around with him.