Heather Mason, a.k.a. Cheryl Mason
Voiced by: Heather Morris (original), Amanda Winn Lee (HD)
A spunky 17 year old who's out on a shopping trip in a nearby town before the shopping mall she's in takes a turn for the worse.
- Action Girl: Probably what sets her apart from most Survival Horror female protagonists.
- Amnesiac Dissonance: Heather finds out through Harry's memoirs that she is Alessa reincarnated, but unlike Alessa, Heather chooses life over death.
- Apocalypse Maiden: Until she takes the aglaophotis.
- Badass Probably the most capable and brave protagonist in the series. What is the first thing she does after throwing up the god? Attempt to fucking stomp it into mush.
- Buffy Speak: Sometimes. "All I know is that things are getting screwy around here..."Heather: And what's this? Something strange in a cage-y box thing.
- Daddy's Girl: Loves her father to death, and after learning that he was murdered she sets out on a Roaring Rampage of Revenge just for him.
- Deadpan Snarker: She starts out mocking Douglas when most would be intimidated by his "gruff detective act," but when things start going to hell, this aspect of her personality diminishes a bit, since she's (with good reason) scared out of her wits. As time goes on and she starts accepting the madness around her, she starts up again, in particular snarking directly to the face of God herself. This is why the fans love her.
- Eye Beam: HEATHAA BEAM!!
- And the upgraded version: Sexy Beam!
- Fanservice: Not on the game itself, but on the game's original soundtrack album cover. She's pictured wearing her trademark white sleeveless vest, but without the orange shirt she usually wears under it, thereby exposing her cleavage.
- Fetus Terrible: The reason Heather keeps doubling over in pain? She's still carrying the God Dahlia put into Alessa, and it wants out. And if you shoot Claudia instead of spewing it out with the aglaophotis, it does break out, killing Heather in the process.
- The Fool: Her official tarot.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: After Harry is murdered. She eventually snaps out of it.
- In-Universe Catharsis: After beating the Final Boss, she breaks down and cries over the death of her father.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Moody and sarcastic like you'd expect a teenage girl to be, but she has an unwavering set of morals and a strong sense of justice. She can also be friendly to people she likes and trusts.
- Magical Girl: Unlockable secret for New Game+. Required if you want to get this game's UFO ending.
- Mirror Boss: Memory of Alessa.
- Mood Whiplash: The normal ending.Douglas: Is it over?
Heather: Not yet... (holds up her knife, points it at him and starts walking toward him menacingly) You're still alive... Boo! Just a joke.
- Not So Stoic: Despite her plucky and snarky attitude, she falls apart the instant she finds the dead body of her dad. She breaks down again after defeating the Final Boss.
- Older Than They Look: She was first born 31 years ago. She lived 7 years as Alessa, then split into two beings (Cheryl and burned Alessa) with another seven years each and finally she lives for 17 years as Heather. So she's 24, or 17... or 31.
- In a way, subverted. Despite what Claudia and the crazy man on the phone tell you, Heather's current body and personality are clearly only 17 years old. In other words, she's more Harry's Cheryl than Claudia's Alessa.
- Plucky Girl: Unlike previous (and future) protagonists, Heather is unruffled by attempts to scare her, which might explain her popularity.
- Pregnant Badass: Though she doesn't realize it at first, and doesn't look like it.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Due to Harry Mason's death.
- Seen It All: She eventually becomes fairly used to all the horrific things going on around her.
- Smoking Is Not Cool: Interacting with a pack of cigarettes lying on a table with have her say, "No more smoking. I quit for good."
- Spin-Offspring: She's the daughter of Harry Mason, the protagonist from the first Silent Hill game.
A member of the Order devoted to resurrecting God in order to create paradise.
- Big Bad: She's the one who wants the birth of the God, and does what she can to make it happen.
- The Dog Bites Back: Finally has enough of Vincent and stabs him multiple times. She leaves the dagger embedded in him as he tumbles over.
- Empty Piles of Clothing: After swallowing up the fetus and being suddenly taken away by Valtiel.
- Evil Former Friend: To Alessa.
- Evil Brit: Which is strange, since Silent Hill is in America and her own father has an American accent.
- Freudian ExcuseVincent: The image of [your father's] cruelty is forever burned in my mind.
- Good Colors, Evil Colors: Claudia wears a flowing black dress; Heather's in white.
- Insane Troll Logic: Puts Heather through all the crap because she thinks that marinating the developing god in hatred and fear will somehow make it compassionate.
- Which leads to:
- Hypocrite: She sincerely believes filling someone with hatred and pain will result in the birth of a benelovent and understanding God, seemingly forgetting that her father did the exact same thing to her and only made her hate him. She's also convinced that her father's vision of Paradise is wrong for being exclusive to believers, only to threaten Vincent by mentioning he's going to hell for mocking God.
- No Body Left Behind: All that remains of her after the God's birth is her dress.
- No Place for Me There: Evil? Yes. Remorseful? Also yes. Deluded enough to think that no matter what she does, she'll get Paradise? No.
- Red Right Hand: Claudia purposely lacks eyebrows to give her an unsettling appearance.
- Strike Me Down with All of Your Hatred: She says this to Heather several times. She wants the God in Heather's body to feed off of Heather's hatred. And if you have Heather shoot Claudia near the end of the game, the God bursts free of Heather, killing her.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: She admits that she will be unworthy to be part of Paradise due to her actions, but is resolute in her determination to do whatever is necessary to create it.
Voiced by: Clifford Rippel (original), Yuri Lowenthal (HD)
A mysterious man who seems to have connections with Claudia's cult.
- All There in the Manual: His last name is only given in the novelization.
- Defector from Decadence: Assuming he was even in the Decadence to begin with (it's implied he only joined the Order to skim money off the top).
- Enemy Mine: He just wants Heather to deal with Claudia and her insanity.
- Enigmatic Minion: Though it's not clear if he answers to anyone, he's definitely enigmatic.
- Expy: Of Dr. Kaufmann, another stooge of The Order with a materialistic streak who sides with the main character to stop their evil plan for selfish reasons and is killed when The Dog Bites Back.
- Everyone Has Standards: He's clearly disgusted by the treatment Claudia received at the hands of her own father.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: And for added creepiness, his two eyes don't always face the same way!
- Good All Along: Sort of. While he's manipulative and comes off as very selfish and self-serving, and he's clearly done some bad things (including joining the Order just so he could skim money from it), he's actually on Heather's side and trying to stop Claudia from resurrecting God.
- In the Back: He gets stabbed in the back by Claudia near the end of the story. It doesn't quite kill him, but it's a bad wound, and Claudia finishes him off soon after.
- Lack of Empathy: He seems to get off on the hardship of others.
- Manipulative Bastard: Until the end of the story, it's clear he's manipulating both Heather and Claudia, but his actual goal isn't apparent until near the end.
- Not So Different: Heather detests how Vincent is using her to stop Claudia's mad schemes, but realizes she is using him for more or less the same reason.
- Pet the Dog: When the topic of Claudia's abusive father comes up, Vincent becomes uncharacteristically sympathetic towards her.
- Pragmatic Villainy: Sure, he exploits his own cult for money and is one of the most questionable guys you'll ever meet, but it's not like he wants to destroy the world or anything. That would get in the way of money.
- Sissy Villain: Vincent has a bit of this (e.g. criticizing Claudia's "decorations"), though nothing over-the-top.
- Toothy Issue: His are discolored and rotted.
- Waistcoat of Style: He's always wearing a nice vest.
- Wham Line: "They looked like monsters to you?" Possibly Subverted when he says after that he was kidding, but with how sly Vincent's tongue is...
Voiced by: Richard Grosse (original), Kirk Thornton (HD)
A Private Detective hired by Claudia to track down Heather for her.
- Deadpan Snarker: To a certain extent.
- Guttural Growler
- Hero of Another Story: Apparently had his own little Silent Hill adventure while Heather was having hers, culminating in confronting Claudia on his lonesome and getting his leg broken. His contribution to Heather's story basically consists of being an Unwitting Instigator of Doom, giving her a ride to Silent Hill, and providing some moral support.
- Killed Off for Real: In the "Possessed" ending.
- Naked People Are Funny: The effect of using the Konami Code will feature Douglas running around in his Goofy Print Underwear for the entire game.
- Oh Crap!: In the normal ending.
- Parental Substitute: Implied to have become Heather's in the normal ending.
- Private Detective: His apparent profession.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: Just by doing his job, he leads Claudia right to Heather and Harry's doorstep, leading to Harry's death. To his credit, he does his best to make up for it.
Voiced by: Matt Lagan (original)
- Abusive Parents: He was abusive to his daughter Claudia. This is one major reason that Claudia went off the deep end.
- Arc Villain: For the hospital.
- Dead All Along: He's heavily implied to be this. Since he seems to have lost his human form, it's possible that what Heather meets was his ghost, leaving him Deader Than Dead post-battle.
- Not Even Human: When Heather encounters Leonard, he's actually some kind of aquatic creature rather than a human being. Maybe. Leonard's daughter is human and no one ever makes note of his appearance. He could very well be human, and Heather may simply be seeing Through the Eyes of Madness. Or, he might have been human once, but no longer. He might even be a creation of the town, the way Maria was in the previous game. It's never really explained.
ValtielA passive monster who is worshiped. He often appears through out the story as an important yet unsettling presence.
- Ambiguously Evil: While he's definitely associated with the Order, he seems distant from their methods and goals, and his only loyalty is to the God itself, not the Order. He never attacks anyone, including Heather (who's following her father's footsteps and trying to destroy the God). Occasionally he can even be seen during the game over screen, gently carrying Heather's body to safety.
- The Dragon: Not to Claudia, but to the God itself, as evidenced by his name.
- Everything Is Better With Spinning: His valve-turning nature is actually symbolic.
- Game-Over Man: Dying in certain places will result in a short cutscene where Valtiel drags Heather's body offscreen.
- Meaningful Name: As analyzed by Roahm Mythril, Valtiel's name comes from both "valet" and the typical "-iel" suffix in angel names. Thus, Valtiel is, in name and actions, the attendant of God.
- Non-Malicious Monster: Despite being creepy, Valtiel never actually harms you. He is seen attacking other monsters (as if to ensure Heather's safety) and goes out of his way to resurrect Heather if she is to die, though this is probably due to the fact that she is carrying the God in her.
- Undying Loyalty: To the God.