Characters: Shaun of the Dead
open/close all folders
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"
- Combat Pragmatist: He uses whatever is available, be it a cricket bat, pool cue, or jukebox.
- Deadpan Snarker: Usually when confronted by Ed's stupidity or David's abrasiveness.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Ed.
David: "Well, I wasn't the one who was blowing our cover by having a tiff with my boyfriend."
Shaun: "He's not my boyfriend!"
Ed: (handing him a beer) "It might be a bit warm, the cooler's off."
Shaun: "Thanks, babe."
- The Hero: Notably, every scene in the entire film (with just one exception) is centered around him.
- Loser Protagonist: He's a bit of a slacker, is in a rocky relationship with his current girlfriend, and is stuck in a dead-end job where none of the younger employees have any respect for him. To his credit, he isn't as much of a loser as Ed, whose only source of income is occasionally selling weed.
- Nice Guy: He's a bit lazy and irresponsible at the start of the film, but otherwise a decent guy.
- Only Sane Man: Shares this role in the group with Liz.
- Too Dumb to Live: What exactly made the Winchester any safer than Liz's apartment? While it's got big heavy doors and a rifle on the wall and Ed knows where all the exits are (and he can smoke), they actually probably would have been safer in the apartment, because the window was above ground level (Shaun himself could climb up to it, but he wasn't a zombie) and you couldn't even get into the building without being buzzed in. Even if the zombies somehow got in through that door, they could have barricaded the apartment door fairly easily. But they also wouldn't have had half so much booze.
- Took a Level in Badass: Starts off as a bumbling slacker. Becomes a zombie slaying badass.
- Weapon of Choice: A cricket bat.
"Who died and made you fucking king of the zombies?"
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Lazy, annoying and vulgar, but he genuinely cares about Shaun. He's just bad at showing it.
- The Lancer: Shaun's best friend and his partner during the Zombie Apocalypse.
- The Millstone: Outright causes a lot of the group's problems. Deliberately crashes Pete's car so he could drive Phillip's Jag, answering his phone whilst surrounded by zombies.....
- Too Dumb to Live: He takes this to new levels and plays it for laughs. The characters need to get past a horde of zombies, and do so by acting like zombies to avoid drawing attention. When they are nearly to apparent safety, his phone goes off... and he answers it and starts cheerfully talking on the phone, less than ten feet from dozens of zombies. Previously, he had "accidentally" crashed their first car, giving him an excuse to drive a Jaguar instead. Following after the cellphone incident, the electricity comes back on and he starts playing a pub fruit machine, which draw the attention of a zombie in the same building as them.
- Took a Level in Badass: Not to the extent of Shaun, but Ed becomes surprisingly resourceful by the end.
- Toxic Friend Influence: Played with. Ed holds Shaun back, but itís far from intentional and he does love Shaun.
- Weapon of Choice: A shovel, which he uses to bash the zo-those things' heads in.
"Can we just CALM THE FUCK DOWN?"
- Action Girl: Almost wields a chain against the zombies at the very end of the film.
- Action Survivor: Survives the events of the film, along with Shaun.
- Deadpan Snarker: Probably the biggest snarker in the film.
- Only Sane Man: Shares this role in the group with Shaun.
- Precision F-Strike: Just look at that quote. She actually manages to defuse the situation, somewhat.
"Just look at the face: it's vacant, with a hint of sadness. Like a drunk who's lost a bet."
"Basically, I'd say your nine lives are up, Shaun."
- Commander Contrarian: Always ready to insult Shaun's efforts, even though he himself proves to be The Load at one point and Shaun has to improvise with a genuine act of nobility.
- Deadpan Snarker: Whenever he's putting Shaun down. Which is often.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Towards Shaun, due to David's secret love for Liz
- Heel Face Door Slam: He almost redeems himself. But then he gets ripped apart by hungry zombies. In a deleted scene, he actually managed to apologize before being killed.
- Hypocrite: Calls Shaun out for not being a model boyfriend to Liz. This is coming from a man who constantly ignores his own girlfriend because he'd rather be with Liz.
- Jerkass: However, unlike Ed, he isn't at all likeable.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Seemingly invoked deliberately. It's clear that he's correct in that Shaun's plan isn't very well thought-out, and his ultimate goal amounts to little more to sitting around and waiting for rescue. However, considering that he himself rarely has anything to offer but unhelpful snark, and that he just makes things worse on the rare occasions when he actually tries to do something, it's clear that he's Right for the Wrong Reasons, his criticisms of Shaun's plans being more out of personal dislike for Shaun than him actually having any idea of what to do, keeping him from being remotely sympathetic. Even when he's right and is actually ready to do something about it (when he was ready to shoot the now-dead Barbara before she could revive as a zombie), he can't do it without being a complete twat about it, and he ultimately wimps out and makes Shaun do it.
- Karmic Death: Dies very shortly after his most heinous act.
- Killed Mid-Sentence: During an attempted apology, even.
- Know-Nothing Know-It-All: As Diane points out, if he really was as capable as he was trying to act whenever he was putting Shaun down, he would have taken charge of the group himself, rather than following along with whatever Shaun was doing.
- Love Makes You Evil: Everything he does is motivated in some way by his not-so-secret love for Liz.
- Non-Action Guy: The most he does is empty a bin and throw it through a window.
- Only Sane Man: Thinks he's this, although really he's just The Load.
- Smug Snake: Very smug about his supposed superiority to Shaun.
- Stalker Witha Crush: Acts a little too involved in Liz's relationship with Shaun and plays the "nice guy" card whenever he can.
- Too Dumb to Live: Standing right in front of the pub window, seconds before he gets eaten.
: Penelope Wilton
"Itís been a funny sort of day, hasnít it?"
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Cheerfully oblivious to the Zombie Apocalypse going on around her. At least at first; after she's bitten, she seems more distracted by hiding her bite than actually being oblivious to everything.
- Mortal Wound Reveal: She reveals the zombie bite on her wrist when the group gets to the Winchester.
- The Load: She's not very useful, but she's not actively detrimental like Ed.
- Too Dumb to Live: What did she think would happen opening the door to a zombie?
- Zombie Infectee: Every zombie movie needs one.
"It's a lot of overblown nonsense, a lot of drug nuts running wild."
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Shaun hates him and he acts pretty coldly towards his stepson at first, but it's later revealed that he genuinely cared for Shaun even after everything they did and said to each other.
- Major Injury Underreaction: "I'm perfectly alright, Barbara; I ran it under a cold tap."
- Perpetual Frowner: Never smiles. Ever.
- Wicked Stepmother: Stepfather, but still fits. Shaun considers him this at first, but really heís just a rather abrasive but ultimately good-hearted fellow.
- Zombie Infectee: Notably, he gets bitten twice, presumably speeding up the process.
: Jessica Stevenson
"Glad to see somebody made it!"
- Action Survivor: Survives the events of the film.
- The Cameo: Jessica Stevenson previously worked with Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost on Spaced.
- Hero of Another Story: Has a group of survivors just like Shaun (with a counterpart for every single character in Shaun's group), but she seems to be the only one who got out alive. Presumably kicked a lot of zombie ass off-screen.
- The Pollyanna: She's almost constantly smiling and cheerful, even in the midst of a Zombie Apocalypse. Her upbeat personality doesn't prevent her from surviving the events of the film, either.
: Peter Serafinowicz
"Sort your fucking life out, mate!"