Creator: Bill Nighy
William 'Bill' Nighy* , (born 12th December 1949) is a former British stage actor who made the transition to film in 1989's Eye of the Needle. He is easily recognized thanks to his tall, slight frame and distinctive voice.Nighy is probably most famous for playing Davy Jones in the Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End and for playing Rufus Scrimgeour in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1. He is also known for his roles in Shaun of the Dead, the Underworld film series, Love Actually and Rango.
- Martin Barton in The Phantom of the Opera (1989)
- Billy Mack in Love Actually (2003).
- Viktor in Underworld (2003), Underworld Evolution (2006) and the prequel Underworld Rise Of The Lycans (2009).
- Cameron Foster in State of Play (2003), for which he won a BAFTA award for Best Actor.
- Philip in Shaun of the Dead (2004).
- Slartibartfast in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005).
- Davy Jones in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006) and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007).
- Sir Bernard Pellegrin in The Constant Gardener (2005).
- Chief Inspector Kenneth in Hot Fuzz (2007).
- Friedrich Olbricht in Valkyrie (2008).
- A museum curator with a bow tie in Doctor Who (2010).
- Rufus Scrimgeour in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (2010).
- Rattlesnake Jake in Rango (2011).
- Hephaestus in Wrath of the Titans (2012).
- Matthias Lair in Total Recall (2012).
- Fallon in Jack the Giant Slayer (2013).
- The Network in The World's End (2013).
- James Lake in About Time (2013).
- Naberius in I, Frankenstein (2014).
- King Emeric in The Elder Scrolls Online (2014)
- Johnny Worricker in Page Eight (2011), Turks & Caicos (2014) and Salting the Battlefield (2014)
- The Speaker in Video Game/Destiny (2014)
Tropes associated with him include:
- Awesome, Dear Boy: His reason for taking smaller supporting roles in Harry Potter and Doctor Who.
- Character Tics: He often points and gestures with his middle finger instead of his index.
- Fingore: Downplayed; He has [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dupuytren's_contracture Dupuytren's Contracture]], a condition that causes the fingers (in his case the pinky and ring) to become permanently bent inward.
- Large Ham: Often and with much gusto.
- Playing Against Type: Nighy's role in Total Recall (2012) shows him as a very serious heroic figure. Could also double as a Subverted Trope.
- Type Casting: If he's not hamming, many of his characters have a pensive stumbling delivery with nervous pauses and a somewhat melancholy tone.
- What Could Have Been: Nighy was strongly speculated to portray the Ninth Doctor in the 2005 revival of Doctor Who, but the role instead went to Christopher Eccleston.