"And as we always say at the Guest House Paradiso: Have fun, don't go in the water if you know what's good for you, and try not to get shit on the sheets!"Guest House Paradiso is a 1999 Slapstick comedy film written by and starring Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmondson. Directed by Ade Edmondson and also starring Simon Pegg, Vincent Cassel and Bill Nighy. An offshoot of Rik and Ade's series Bottom, it features main characters Richie and Eddie running a cheap and nasty hotel.Very cheap. And very nasty.
Provides examples of:
- An Aesop: Don't feed people food if you don't know where it came from.
- Hotels should not be built near power plants.
- Ass Shove: Eddie sends a pencil into Richie's back side (Pointy end first).
- Bad Liar: Eddie tries to pass off a gas explosion as "Basque, seperatist mice."
- Bastard Boyfriend: Gino Bolognese. Not only is he violent, possessive, and a suspected drug runner, he also slept with all three bridesmaids the night before his and Gina Carbonara's wedding.
- Blind Without 'Em: Eddie's vision is extremely wavy without his glasses.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Eddie tries to get Gino to watch the language as they're trying to keep the film PG-rated. Gino apologies and swears regardless, prompting Eddie to shrug at the camera openly saying "I tried".
- Butt Monkey: Eddie exists only to get abused by Richie.
- Canon Discontinuity: In the TV series, Richie's surname is Richard, and Eddie's is Hitler. Here, Richie has the surname "Twat", and Eddie "Ndingombaba."
- Double Entendre:Ms. Hardy: Do you have Lapsang-souchong?Richie: No. No-no-no-no-no. It's just that I put my underpants on back-to-front this morning.
- Establishing Character Moment: The film opens up with Richie muttering "You bastards" in his sleep. Eddie is shown sleeping on a motorcycle that's careening down a highway.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Richie and Eddie have been stealing from and abusing their guests the whole film, but they are nothing compared to Gino. Even Eddie is horrified by how he treats Gina.Eddie: He's bad!
- Eye Scream: Richie gets a lit candle in the eye at one point. When he explains to Eddie, Eddie thinks he wants another one.
- Groin Attack: Eddie uses a pair of nutcrackers on Richie's privates; This soon turns into a gonad-kicking contest.
- Horrible Judge of Character: Gina thinks the pervy, condescending Richie is a sweet man, and believes she can trust Eddie with her identity, only moments after meeting him. (Compared to Gino, however, those two are saints).
- Hypocritical Humor: Richie is always on the case of couples who come to his hotel hoping to have a sexual escapade. He himself is a total deviant, to the point where he steals a guest's underwear and fondles Eddie's penis.
- Indy Escape: From a giant ball of vomit.
- Insatiable Newlyweds: The Barkers. They spend all day in the honeymoon suite, coming down for supper, to Richie's shock.Richie: Well, what can I get you? Vitamins? Energy tablets? Fanny pump?
- Is the Answer to This Question "Yes"?: Subverted:Eddie: Is the Pope a Catholic?
Eddie: Is he? I never knew that.
- I Thought It Meant: Gina tells Richie she wants her salad "undressed." Turns out she meant "without salad dressing."
- Its Pronounced Tropay: Richie insists his surname is pronounced "Thwaite."
- Karma Houdini: Eddie and Richie are not nice people. They get two suitcases full of money and live the rest of their lives on a tropical island receiving blowjobs from Gina
- Lampshade Hanging: In the final scene, it is pointed out that it is lucky that only Gino died from the nuked fish, otherwise there would have been a moral question mark over our "heroes"' escape. Sadly, we only have Eddie's word for it; it sounds more like he's trying to convince Gina.
- Last Words: Hilariously Gino, before being knocked off the cliff-side into the ocean below.Gino: All I wanted was a shag!
- Mean Brit: Richie is even worse than Basil Fawlty in that a lot of what he does would make the United Nations wet their pants.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: To Fawlty Towers. There's a nasty hotel manager, his long-suffering sidekick, a dodgy sign out front, a dotty old guest who drinks too much, an alcoholic chef who destroys most of the food, at least two couples with active sex lives and an attractive foreigner who gets sexually assaulted. Take away any sense of class or decorum and you've got this movie in a nutshell.
- Theme Naming: Both Gina and Gino's surnames are Italian foodstuffs.
- The Men in Black the government swoops in to perform a Big Damn Heroes
- Vomit Chain Reaction: The guests, after being served radioactive fish.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: And the film is happy to show you the results. For about ten minutes solid.
- Your Cheating Heart: It's mentioned that Mr. Johnson (Bill Nighy) is on holiday with his mistress. He's still far from the worst person in this film.