Characters: Magic Kaito
open/close all folders
Characters from Magic Kaito
Kaitou Kid/Kaito Kuroba
Voiced by: Kappei YamaguchiMain Character of Magic Kaito. Eight years after his father's death, he discovers his father's identity as the original Kaitou Kid and later takes on the role himself in order to search for the gem called Pandora and stop the people who murdered his father from obtaining it.While not under the guise of Kaitou Kid, Kaito seems to be rather popular in school and likes to pull harmless pranks on people. He also loves to demonstrate his magic skills and seems to hate seeing other people upset. While good at many things, he cannot skate and has an unexplained extreme fear of fish.In Detective Conan, his main job is just to supply an adversary every now and then, but usually isn't important to the overall plot until chapter 824, where he's been helping Conan to fool the Black Organization into believing Shiho Miyano is dead.Mandatory naming note: He's got a huge number of layers here. Kuroba means '"black feather" - referring to flight and likely to his black hair, as well as Kid's apparent alignment according to the police. The name also possibly references magpies (birds who horde shiny objects). Kaito is a pun on both "kaitou" and the English "kite", which matches the appearance of his hang glider and once again refers to flight. The name Kuroba deliberately has 'black' in it as the majority of characters in Magic Kaito had colour-themed names. Still another point for the name is that 'clover' is spelled 'Kuroba' in Japanese- Kaito's monocle has a clover on it.
- The Ace: Smart, athletic, and good-looking.
- Alliterative Name: Kaito Kuroba. The same applies to his alter-ego.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: His Kaitou Kid suit is quite dapper. And also comes with a glider.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Aoko.
- Beyond the Impossible: He can perfectly imitate anyone's voice, even girls and young children. Conan requires a device created by a Mad Scientist to do that, and when he first witnesses Kaito's ability this is what he thinks.
- Canon Immigrant: In Detective Conan.
- Chick Magnet: Got a whole bunch of chocolates for Valentine's Day.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Aoko.
- Chivalrous Pervert: He has a habit of mentally logging information about a girl's panties. He seems to like white ones.
- In his first appearance in Conan, he drugged Ran and disguised himself as her. Conan thought he had also stripped her to get her dress and Kaito teased him with the possibility. He actually didn't: he was the bellboy who took Ran's cocktail dress to her, and in the meantime he made a copy.
- Clueless Chick Magnet: Since that was the first time he came to school on Valentine's Day, he has no idea why all of these girls are suddenly just handing him chocolate for free.
- Common Eye Colours: Violet, for mysteriousness.
- Disguised in Drag:
- Kaitou steals Sonoko's mother Tomiko's very expensive black pearl while perfectly disguised as Ran.
- He also disguises himself as a maid when he rescues Jirokichi Suzuki's dog. Lampshaded by Conan, who suggests that he enjoys crossdressing.
- Played with much later: Kaitou knockes out and strips a girl named Sera to disguise himself as her, leaving her only in her undies... but Sera is such a Bifauxnen and so flatchested that he doesn't notice it's a girl. (To be fair, she is wearing boyish underwear and a top without a bra at that moment. He also caught her in the men's restroom, where she slipped in because the girls's restroom was full and she couldn't wait) Conan later explains everything, Kaitou is all "WTF?!" when told Sera's a girl... and cue to a very pissed off Sera in her undies drop-kicking him on the head.
- Expy: Kaito is however an expy of Kaito Lupin, who only appeared in the prototype "Nonchalant Lupin" short story Aoyama published before officially working on Magic Kaito.
- High-Class Glass: The monocle came from Arsène Lupin.
- Identical Stranger: Not just a limitation of the art style, but Shinichi and Kaito (and Hattori) look similar enough to be disguised as one another without too much effort. To wit, Kaito has performed as Shinichi thrice in the films. Unfortunately not enough to trick Ran the third time.
- Improbably High I.Q.: Apparently has an IQ of 400, as determined through DNA testing.
- Insufferable Genius: Kaito had a high IQ and has a habit of thinking he can outsmart anyone.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Perverted, arrogant, and insensitive. Kaito also likes to make people happy with his magic and would never cause harm to anyone as Kaito Kid.
- Latex Perfection: Any costume made by a Kuroba is bound to be perfect.
- Light Is Good/Light Is Not Good: Kaito means no harm as Kaitou Kid; he only wants to find the men who killed his father and steals the most expensive or sought after jewelry, art, etc. in order to do so. However, his constant thefts of them make a lot of police offficers consider him the latter.
- Living a Double Life: As a normal high school student and a master thief.
- Loveable Rogue: He's quite likable as either identity.
- Man in White: He says that his suit is white because he's "bold and flamboyant" and he's "different to a thief who wears all black". Conan points out a more pragmatic reason: during Kaito's many disappearing tricks, he can just switch to more discreet clothing, and while everybody around him is looking out for something white, he can abscond unnoticed.
- Master of Disguise: He can switch between perfect full body costumes at a moment's notice. In one case, he goes from Nakamori to Genta (a young child) to Kaito Kid to random police guy within minutes, all with the appropriate clothing, perfectly imitated voices and even the stamp on his cheek that Nakamori previously placed on everyone in the room except him.
- Meaningful Name: The name 'Kaito' means 'kite.' It is written differently (i.e. is a different kanji) than the word 'kaitou,' which means 'phantom thief.'
- Messy Hair: Has an uncombed, mop of black hair.
- Minor Living Alone: His father died years ago and his mother is always traveling.
- Nice Hat: As Kaitou Kid he sports a white top hat with a blue ribbon band.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Really, the only thing that remotely hides his identity is the fact that he often wears the brim of his hat in such a way that his eyes are slightly hidden in shadow. That's it. Really, it's a miracle as to why he hasn't been figured out at this point (though his status as a Master of Disguise makes it a tiny bit more plausible).
- Phantom Thief: Kaito's profession. He's even 'stolen' a clock tower. His manga was all about the various comedic exploits he would get into as he ran from the police, until Cerebus Syndrome set in.
- Photographic Memory: Kaito has the ability to remember complicated things.
- Secret Identity: He hides his life as Kaitou Kid from his friends.
- The Trickster: Loves to plyt tricks on everybody, especially Aoko; his favorite one is checking the color of girls' panties.
- Villain Protagonist: Averted. Yes, Kaito does steal as Kaitou Kid, but that's only to catch the murderous criminals who killed his father. He also refuses to actually hurt anyone while committing one of his thefts and doesn't even use a real gun. He also returns the goods when he's done with them more often than not.
- Voice Changeling: He's capable of imitating most voices he hears.
- Weapon of Choice: His card-shooting gun.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: He has an irrational and completely unexplained fear of fish.
- You Killed My Father: Kaito's main motivation against the bad guys is to get them back for murdering his father onstage and playing it up as an accident.
Mandatory Naming Note: His Colourful Theme Naming is white (Haku). His given name Saguru is an Alternate Character Reading for the tan in tantei, or detective.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: His eye color is blue in the manga, but brown in the anime.
- Amateur Sleuth: Another famous and skilled high school detective.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: He seems to have an eidetic memory, just as Shinichi, Heiji and Kaito have proven themselves to have, and is capable of remembering long strings of data, particularly (in Hakuba's case) precise times down to the millisecond.
- A Boy and His X: A Boy and His Hawk. Hakuba has a pet hawk, Watson, he got in England.
- But Not Too Foreign: Japanese dad, British mom
- Canon Immigrant: In Detective Conan.
- Catch Phrase: "Hitotsu dake kikitai—Naze konno koto o..." or "I'd like to know—Why did you..."
- Also, "The truth will always come to light."
- Chick Magnet: Has a trunk full of chocolate by the end of Valentine's Day.
- Clock King: Hakuba pays a great deal of attention to time, carrying a pocket watch that only loses 0.001 seconds per year.
- Curtains Match The Windows: Matching brown hair and eyes.
- Flanderization: Fanfiction often portrays Hakuba and the Kaitou Kid as an Odd Couple as best, and at worst portrays Hakuba as wanting to put Kid in handcuffs for reasons other than arresting him.
- Insufferable Genius: Hakuba's sense of humility about his intellect is way worse than Shinichi, Heiji, and Kaito.
- Lonely Rich Kid: Easily inferred from the manga, as Hakuba's shown to be from a wealthy family and yet doesn't seem to have many friends. Many fanfics explore this idea by stating outright that his parents are divorced (which would be why he travels between England and Japan so often and why his presumably British mother is never shown).
- The Mean Brit: Downplayed. He's more smug than Shinichi, Heiji, and Kaito combined, but he's not all the way bad.
- Mixed Ancestry: His father is Japanese and his mother is British.
- New Transfer Student: From London High School.
- Otaku: In Magic Kaito, when not in school uniform, he wore an Inverness cape and deerstalker cap just like the stereotypical public image of Sherlock Holmes.
- Photographic Memory: He seems to have an eidetic memory, just as Shinichi, Heiji and Kaito have proven themselves to have, and is capable of remembering long strings of data, particularly (in Hakuba's case) precise times down to the millisecond.
- Princely Young Man: Carries a "prince-like" air around.
- The Rival: In Magic Kaito, Hakuba's the only one who comes close to Kaito's/the Kaitou Kid's level. Plus they once competed over who would get to take Aoko on a date. In Detective Conan, Shinichi's pretty much taken over the role of being the Kid's rival.
- Teen Genius: He also seems to have an eidetic memory, just as Shinichi, Heiji and Kaito have proven themselves to have, and is capable of remembering long strings of data, particularly (in Hakuba's case) precise times down to the millisecond.
- Smug Super: Hakuba seems to be slightly worse at modesty than even Shinichi, Heiji and Kaito.
- Sugary Malice: Downplayed. His speech is usually formal and polite, like his attire; for example, he uses the more humble pronoun 'boku' to refer to himself during the Detective Koushien case, while Heiji uses 'ore,' which is a cockier and less polite way of referring to oneself. However, Hakuba displays a distinct sense of arrogance himself, particularly during his earlier appearances. He displays an arrogant assurance in his ability to capture the Kaitou Kid, and conveys a superior attitude towards Inspector Nakamori's men. Kaito even describes his tone as sugary yet obnoxious.
Inspector Javert, Ginzo Nakamori, thus she hates Kaitou Kid for humiliating him.Mandatory Naming Note: Her Colourful Theme Naming is blue (Ao).
- A-Cup Angst: She's rather sensitive about Kaito's cracks regarding her ironing board figure.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Kaito.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Kaito.
- Daddy's Girl: Aoko's main reason for hating Kaitou Kid is because he constantly makes her father look incompetent and will become infuriated if anyone (mostly Kaito) insults him.
- Dating Catwoman: Sorta, since she is Kaito's friend and one of his possible love interests.
- Expy: Like Kaito, Aoko too is based on a character (Aoko Holmes) who only appeared in the prototype "Nonchalant Lupin" short story Aoyama published before officially working on Magic Kaito.
- Flanderization: Her wielding mops and brooms, it should be noted, is fanon. She's only really shown chasing Kaito around the classroom with a mop during their introduction in the first chapter, but fanfiction likes to portray this as a regular occurrence.
- To be fair this comes from the teacher in said chapter acting like this isn't entirely unusual for the two to do.
- In Chapter 12 Kaito does hand Aoko a mop to defend herself with and in the anime adaption of Blue Birthday she brakes a mop over his head
- Genius Ditz: Seems to be pretty booksmart.
- Goofy Print Underwear: Specifically to mess with Kaito.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Her low self-esteem may be the reason why she acts more child-like than she should.
- Hidden Depths: Unlike her counterparts Ran and Kazuha, it has been suggested that Aoko has a high level of intelligence at least approaching that of her 'love-interest' Kaito. In the first file of the Magic Kaito manga, the two are causing havoc in the classroom; the teacher tries to get them to focus by asking first Kaito, then Aoko to answer a complicated math problem on the board, but both answer her question with hardly a glance at the board and continue with their mayhem.
- Improbable Weapon User: Mops and brooms.
- Insecure Love Interest: Aoko has shown to have low self-esteem. Once, to prove that Kaito wasn't the Kid, she asked him out on date on the day of a Kid heist. Kaito, taken aback, snaps "Why would I go out with an ugly girl like you?" to which she tearfully replies "I know...but please!"
- Joshikousei: Her school uniform is a Sailor Fuku.
- Kiddie Kid: She's in her mid to late teens but sometimes acts like a kid, and her speech patterns are noted to be very childish for her age.
- Like Parent Like Child: Like her father, she is impulsive, easily riled up, and often shouts. Kaito and Kaitou Kid in particular are often the trigger for bouts of loud, violent displays.
- Messy Hair: The top part of her hair is uncombed.
- Missing Mom: Her mother has yet to make an appearance.
- Rapunzel Hair: She keeps her hair loose and it reaches to her waist.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Aoko hates Kaito's perverted nature, but she knows he's a good person underneath and truly appreciates all the grand gestures he often does for her.
- Third-Person Person: Despite being at least 16 years old.
- Tsundere: Toward Kaito. Type B, Aoko can be sweet and gentle at one moment, then boisterous and fiery at the next.
Inspector Ginzo Nakamori
Voiced by: Unshou IshizukaHe is Aoko's father and is obsessed with catching Kid, but ends up made a fool of.Mandatory Naming Note: His Colourful Theme Naming is grey (Gin, literally "silver").
Voiced by: Miyuki Sawashiro, Megumi Hayashibara (Detective Conan OVA 1), Eri Kitamura (Magic Kaito 1412)She is a girl in Kaito's circle of friends. Pretty much the Haibara to his Shinichi and Aoko's Ran, only not in a kid's body and more of a magic believer than a scientist.Mandatory Naming Note: Her Colourful Theme Naming is red (Aka).
- Black Magician Girl/Dark Magical Girl/Hot Witch: She actually practices Black Magic, sorta. Specially noticeable because this series is almost completely devoid of supernatural themes.
- Dude Magnet
- I Love You Because I Can't Control You: Akako's magic can make men fall for her, yet Kaito is immune. Guess what happens.
- You Gotta Have Red Hair
Mandatory Naming Note: Her Colourful Theme Naming is pink (Momo, literally "peach").
Voiced by: Shuichi IkedaThe original Kaitou Kid, and Kaito's dad.
- Badass Teacher: He trained Yukiko in the art of disguise, and she fools everyone on a regular basis.
- Disappeared Dad: Died eight years before the story started.
- Forgotten Fallen Friend: Was a good friend of Shinichi's parents. It's also implied that he trained Yukiko to be a Master of Disguise.
- Kaitou: Toichi was the first Kaitou Kid.