- All Men Are Perverts: Except when it comes to his wife.
- Catch Phrase / Big "Shut Up!": "Shut the hell up!"
- Clint Squint: His eyes don't open any wider.
- Cool Old Guy: As unarguably cantankerous as he is, he still knows South Park and its They Killed Kenny Again gag.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Grumpy Old Man: The fact that everyone knows someone like this is probably the main reason why Walter's so popular.
- Jerk Ass
- Only Sane Man: He comes off as this compared to the other puppets... but he's not perfect either.
- Screw Politeness, I'm a Senior!
- The 47 Society: As of Spark of Insanity, he's been married for 47 years.
- Your Cheating Heart: He hasn't actually cheated on his wife.Walter: Dammit.
- Catch Phrase: "That's good, that's good, that's GOOOOOODD!"
- Deadpan Snarker: To an extent.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: He only wears one shoe.
- Japanese Ranguage: He makes a point of doing this during his "Taste of China" bit. And then when reading a letter in response to said bit.
- Jaw Drop: Usually when José decides to bite back.
- Jerk Ass
- Keet: Very much. When he is not being racist (or at the very least, racially insensitive), he is a hyperactive spazz.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Peanut seems to be the only one that's aware that he's a puppet and knows the limitations of being one and the role of the Ventriloquist.
- Must Have Caffeine: He does at least one routine after a visit to Starbucks.
- Non-Standard Character Design: Made entirely of felt, unlike the other puppets who are made of plastic.
- No Sense of Personal Space: He gets in Jeff's face a lot.
- Red Oni: To everyone else's blue, practically.
- Small Name, Big Ego: As far as Peanut is concerned, the entire show is about him.
José Jalapeño on a Stick
- Butt Monkey: To Peanut, during their appearances together.
- Deadpan Snarker
- The Dog Bites Back: Frequently on the receiving end of Peanut's insults... but some his comebacks are not to be neglected:Peanut: Ever met José's sister?José: Don't do it...Peanut: She's really hot! (laughs hysterically) I'm just kidding José!José: I know; you're more into fruit.
- Those Two Guys: Always brought out with Peanut, never alone.
- Verbal Tic: "On a Steek."
- X On a Steek
- Your Mom: His go-to comeback remark towards Peanut.
Achmed the Dead Terrorist
- Abusive Parent: To Achmed Junior, although AJ isn't above making cracks and practical jokes at his expense.
- Affably Evil
- All Men Are Perverts
- Butt Monkey/The Chew Toy: To the other puppets.
- To the Terrorist Organization he worked for too. The new guy is the reason why he's a skeleton. He lost his son to "Take Your Kid To Work Day." And he didn't realize he was dead until Jeff told him.
- Catch Phrase: "SILENCE! I KEEL YOU!"
- When he is first brought out, he usually says, "GREETINGS, INFIDELS!"
- Even Evil Has Standards: As he demonstrates in the Christmas Special; he is wearing a "holiday (and not Christmas) hat" so as not to offend "the other infidels".Jeff: But you're a terrorist.
Achmed: (Beat) That's different. Killing people is easy; being politically correct is a pain in the ass!
- Laughably Evil
- Luke, You Are My Father: When AJ shows up during Controlled Chaos.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Enforced for All Over The Map, and for good reason; In Malaysia, Jeff was told that he couldn't use Achmed the Dead Terrorist during the show for cultural reasons. He relates this message to the audience, saying he would like to keep his word to the Cultural Ministry, but he would also want to give them their money's work; enter Achmed's brother, "Jacques, the French Terrorist" who is, in reality, Achmed with a beret and mustache speaking Gratuitous French.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Subverted. While he does have bloodshot eyes with red irises, he's far from dangerous (though he'd have you believe otherwise).
- That's What She Said: He has a field day with this trope in Controlled Chaos, much to Jeff's annoyance. Every time Jeff asks him to stop, Achmed replies this way, until Jeff tricks him.Jeff: I heard you talking to Walter the other day.
Achmed: (upset) Dammit!
- Villain Protagonist: Downplayed.