Ah, the Simple Staff
. Very versatile if you just add another thing to it.
Of course, this trope isn't limited to just weapons. "On a stick" is a tradition of fair foods; including Twinkie on a Stick, Porkchop on a Stick, Ramen on a Stick... one year, the local internet access company handed out their startup discs as "Internet on a Stick".
If sticking something on a stick doesn't solve your problem, try sticking it on a Bigger Stick
Tropes on a Stick
See also Double Weapon
when you add more than one thing to it. Compare with Instant Chucks
open/close all folders
- One advertisement for a lollipop described it as "a veritable banquet on a stick."
- One of the ads in the 2013 Super Bowl was a Tide detergent ad with a guy who got a Joe Montana shaped stain on his football jersey. In his Imagine Spot, people are coming to see the stain, and there's a guy selling "stain on a stick". No idea what kind of food it was though.
Anime & Manga
- In Magic: The Gathering:
- "X on a stick" is a generic term for a spell placed on a permanent (like an artifact, enchantment, or land). This is because of the original Stick, Isochron Scepter, which allows the repeated casting of a spell.
- The Boggarts of Lorwyn have a habit of attaching random things to sticks. Adder-Staff Boggart, for example, has a live snake tied to his staff (hence the name). The flavor text of Caterwauling Boggart (whose staff has several frogs attached) lampshades it.
- In Munchkin, the Rat on a Stick is a wieldable item that lets you automatically escape from low-level monsters.
Films — Animation
- Surf's Up features squid on a stick. Tastes Like Chicken.
- Madagascar: "One Fun-side special coming right up. Seaweed on a stick."
- The Movie Hoodwinked features the character of the Woodman who's day job is selling Schnitzel on a Stick and has an entire song and dance number featuring the food item.
- As a note, the concept of Schnitzel may have been what lead to the invention of the corndog.
- ''Discworld's Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler will sell almost anything "onna stick!", including Rat on a Stick for dwarfs.
- At one point his Omnian counterpart Cut-Me-Own-Hand-Off Dhblah sells yogurt on a stick.
- Lord of the Flies: a sow's head on a stick
- The Peeps chapter title, "Snake on a Stick", refers to a parasitic worm that can grow in a person's leg that early doctors would remove by slowly wrapping it around a stick. Not Food.
- An early Dad's Army episode has the Home Guard platoon improvising spears by tying kitchen knives to broom handles. Mainwaring chews out Pike for not taking the brush off the other end.
- One of the earliest "Late Night with David Letterman" Running Joke was Larry "Bud" Melman (Calvert DeForrest) selling toast-on-a-stick.
- In an episode of Stargate Atlantis where a character ties a camera to a wooden stick, another character jokingly calls it a "MALP-on-a-stick".
- On Newhart, the Minuteman Cafe once offered "Critter on a Stick".
- PBS Kids Sprout's Preschool Musical on a Stick. When The Wiggles joined Sprout, it became Preschool Musical on Two Sticks
- The Bajoran confection jumja, made from the sap of the jumja tree, and known to Star Trek: Deep Space Nine production staff as "glop on a stick".
- There's a Running Gag in iCarly where the manager of the local smoothie restaurant T-Bo tries to sell random items of food on a stick like pickles or a tacos.
- Jeff Dunham: José Jalapeño on a Steek.
- An Upright Citizens Brigade sketch suggests the efficiency of using dog poo on a stick as a weapon.
- The Squid-Onna-Stick has become something of an internal meme in Sluggy Freelance. The original was a demonic spear from the Dimension of Pain, which could turn anyone stabbed by it into a demon. And it looked just like a squid on a stick. Later, several identical weapons have shown up that are ACTUALLY a squid on a stick, or a squid-like organism on a stick...
- There's also Zombie-Head-on-a-Stick, or ZHOAS, as she's usually called.
- Girl Genius features "Mimmoth on a Stick" as a carnival food — where a mimmoth is a tiny mammoth. There is also a Buck Godot Shout-Out, where poiled slurgs are served "Fried! Onna stick!"
- MeatShield has Mr. Lich-on-a-stick.
- Leo of VG Cats gives us Rat-on-a-Stick, but it's called the Rat-Flail instead.
- Let us not forget the real-life restaurant chain, Hot Dog on a Stick.
- Many, many varieties of food, mostly at fairs and fast-food things. It's convenient for the consumer and cheap for the seller (no plates and utensils to buy and stock) plus it produces minimal trash, reducing expenses associated with that.
- The Lunge Mine - an anti-tank grenade on a stick used in 'Tokko' attacks.
- The Spar Torpedo is an earlier nautical version of this trope: A bomb strapped to a pole and rammed into an enemy ship.