- Sword / Knife = Blade on a Stick
- Axe = Poleaxe
- Fork = Prongs of Poseidon
- Heavy Weight = Drop the Hammer
- Gun = Boom Stick
- Another Stick = Fighting with Chucks
open/close all folders
- One advertisement for a lollipop described it as "a veritable banquet on a stick."
- One of the ads in the 2013 Super Bowl was a Tide detergent ad with a guy who got a Joe Montana shaped stain on his football jersey. In his Imagine Spot, people are coming to see the stain, and there's a guy selling "stain on a stick". No idea what kind of food it was though.
- One ad for poptarts suggests freezing them as treats, one girl asking for hers on a stick like a popcicle.
Anime & Manga
- In Magic: The Gathering:
- "X on a stick" is a generic term for a spell placed on a permanent (like an artifact, enchantment, or land). This is because of the original Stick, Isochron Scepter, which allows the repeated casting of a spell.
- The Boggarts of Lorwyn have a habit of attaching random things to sticks. Adder-Staff Boggart, for example, has a live snake tied to his staff (hence the name). The flavor text of Caterwauling Boggart (whose staff has several frogs attached) lampshades it.
- In Munchkin, the Rat on a Stick is a wieldable item that lets you automatically escape from low-level monsters.
Films — Animation
Films — Live-Action
- Let's Get Harry is a 1986 action movie about a group of construction workers, advised by a mercenary and financed by a businessman who's an Egomaniac Hunter, going to Columbia to rescue a colleague kidnapped by terrorists. A Running Gag involves the businessman boasting, "I've had that on a stick!" whenever he sees various wildlife. This becomes a Pre Ass Kicking One Liner when he encounters the terrorist leader. "You son-of-a-bitch, I'll have you on a stick!"
- ''Discworld's Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler will sell almost anything "onna stick!", including Rat on a Stick for dwarfs.
- At one point his Omnian counterpart Cut-Me-Own-Hand-Off Dhblah sells yogurt on a stick.
- In The Science of Discworld, while discussing the concept of "privatives", things that are talked about as though they have a real existence even though they're actually the absence of something (cold, dark, vacuum, etc.), the authors note that vacuum can be very valuable, and suggest Dibbler could sell vacuum on a stick. They then add that there are plenty of people on Roundworld who sell cold on a stick.
- Lord of the Flies: a sow's head on a stick
- The Peeps chapter title, "Snake on a Stick", refers to a parasitic worm that can grow in a person's leg that early doctors would remove by slowly wrapping it around a stick. Not Food.
- An early Dad's Army episode has the Home Guard platoon improvising spears by tying kitchen knives to broom handles. Mainwaring chews out Pike for not taking the brush off the other end.
- One of the earliest "Late Night with David Letterman" Running Joke was Larry "Bud" Melman (Calvert DeForrest) selling toast-on-a-stick.
- In an episode of Stargate Atlantis where a character ties a camera to a wooden stick, another character jokingly calls it a "MALP-on-a-stick".
- On Newhart, the Minuteman Cafe once offered "Critter on a Stick".
- PBS Kids Sprout's Preschool Musical on a Stick. When The Wiggles joined Sprout, it became Preschool Musical on Two Sticks
- The Bajoran confection jumja, made from the sap of the jumja tree, and known to Star Trek: Deep Space Nine production staff as "glop on a stick".
- There's a Running Gag in iCarly where the manager of the local smoothie restaurant T-Bo tries to sell random items of food on a stick like pickles or a tacos.
- One Earboy sketch in an early season of All That has the titular character's lunch of pork on a stick inspiring his mentor, Ross Perot, on a way to help him fit it.
- Jeff Dunham: José Jalapeño on a Steek.
- Controlled Chaos discussed him as an Improvised Weapon.
- Jeff Dunham also tells a story involving one of his dogs running while holding a stick lengthwise, which almost ends with him getting a new puppet: "A chihuahua on a steek!"
- An Upright Citizens Brigade sketch suggests the efficiency of using dog poo on a stick as a weapon.
- Crafting in Minecraft. A torch is coal on a stick, a redstone torch is a pile of crushed redstone on a stick, an iron sword is two ingots on a stick, and a diamond pickaxe is three diamonds on two sticks.
- MapleStory has poo on a stick as an item that repelled monsters.
- Gears of War 2: Skorge uses a double chainsaw on a stick
- One of the food items you can find in Fallout 3 is Squirrel On A Stick. Even though you never see squirrels in the game. This could be problematic if you consider where some other foods come from.
- The earlier games had Iguanna-Onna-Stick as an oft-found food-item. Gross, but at least you could tell what it was, unlike the 'Mystery Kabob'...
- Dead Rising 2 lets you stick two chainsaws on opposite ends of an oar with duct tape.
- Don't forget the machete on the end of a broom handle combo weapon.
- Scribblenauts: Don't underestimate the power of sticking something to a stick.
- Soul Calibur IV: Seong Mi-Na's Joke Weapon is a "pimp-slap on a stick" instead of the usual Blade on a Stick.
- Team Fortress 2 has the Sun-on-a-Stick for the Scout.
- RWBY: Nora uses a watermelon on a stick in Volume 2, Episode 1.
- Red vs. Blue: Washington tricks Locus (who is cloaked) into revealing his position by propping his helmet on a stick and poking it just barely out of cover. Locus shoots it, thinking it's Wash, and the direction of the shot gives away his general location, which the rest of the group promptly bombards.
- The Squid-Onna-Stick has become something of an internal meme in Sluggy Freelance. The original was a demonic spear from the Dimension of Pain, which could turn anyone stabbed by it into a demon. And it looked just like a squid on a stick. Later, several identical weapons have shown up that are ACTUALLY a squid on a stick, or a squid-like organism on a stick...
- There's also Zombie-Head-on-a-Stick, or ZHOAS, as she's usually called.
- Girl Genius features "Mimmoth on a Stick" as a carnival food — where a mimmoth is a tiny mammoth. There is also a Buck Godot Shout-Out, where poiled slurgs are served "Fried! Onna stick!"
- MeatShield has Mr. Lich-on-a-stick.
- Leo of VG Cats gives us Rat-on-a-Stick, but it's called the Rat-Flail instead.
- "For the love... of... Hilary Duff... on a stick!"
- Epic Meal Time: Epic Meal Sticks
- Catcher in Twig wields a mancatcher, a set of spring-loaded metal jaws on a stick.
- The Simpsons: Addition of a rag makes a handy washing implement.
I wash myself with a rag on a stick.
- On a stick is the preferred method of serving and eating Klav Kahlash.
- "HEART ON STICK MUST DIE!"
- "A King Size Ultra Krabby Supreme with the works, double batter fried... on a stick."
- In 6teen, Jude worked at Stick It, a restaurant where every food item on the menu was served on sticks.
- Looney Tunes: in "Fast Feud", Daffy opens the store "Stuff on Sticks", selling pizza, watermelon, snails, fishsticks, etc. on a stick.
- Let us not forget the real-life restaurant chain, Hot Dog on a Stick.
- Many, many varieties of food, mostly at fairs and fast-food things. It's convenient for the consumer and cheap for the seller (no plates and utensils to buy and stock) plus it produces minimal trash, reducing expenses associated with that.
- The Lunge Mine - an anti-tank grenade on a stick used in 'Tokko' attacks.
- The Spar Torpedo is an earlier nautical version of this trope: A bomb strapped to a pole and rammed into an enemy ship.