For the TV series, see here
Played by: Christopher Lambert (1986-2000)
"Hey, it's a kind of magic."
"We must fight until only one remains. You are safe only on Holy Ground. None of us will violate that rule. It's tradition."
"I have something to say: it's better to burn out than to fade away!"
- IKEA Weaponry: The sword used by the Kurgan in modern times.
- Husky Russkie: Well sort of, as he's a huge guy whose native tribe existed in what would come to be known as Russia, but wasn't Russia yet.
- Scary Impractical Armor: During the bad ol' days of 1536. Although it's not like he needs practical armour, seeing as he can shrug off any non-decapitating blows.
- Spell My Name with a "The": Subverted. He is consistently called "The Kurgan", but neither "Kurgan" nor "The Kurgan" is his name. Rather, it is the name of his (now extinct) tribe.
- Villain Song: While he doesn't sing it, they use the Queen song "Gimme The Prize (The Kurgan's Theme)" in the film. Despite being pretty badass, the band themselves didn't like it.
- Chaotic Stupid: For no reason, the first thing that Katana does when he gets to Earth is to enter a New York subway train to go over 400 mph which ends with him plowing the train through a wall onto the street.
- Evil Overlord: Of Planet Zeist / the past.
- It Amused Me: Why he crashed a train full of people on his first scene on Earth? Because.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: His name combines both K and weapon name.
- Nonindicative Name: At no point does he use a Katana.
- Stupid Evil: He had absolutely no reason to go to Earth or send his goons there to kill MacLeod, who, in turn, had seemingly no intentions of returning to Zeist (and even if he did, Katana had already beaten him there once with ease).
Played by: Mario Van Peebles (1994)
- Cool Shades: The round specs he steals from a street hustler.
Played by: Bruce Payne (2000)
- Iconic Item: Kell is always shown wearing a type of footwear with crucifixes on them (sandals in the 16th century, black shoes in the present).
- Kick the Dog: Murders Rachel in his first scene, purely to hurt Connor. It is strongly implied he has been doing similar stuff throughout Connor's life for the same reason.
Played by: Christian Solimeno (2007)