Film: Highlander: The Source
"There can be only me."The Source is the fifth Highlander film. It was released in 2007, first in Russia on DVD and later on Sci Fi Channel.Duncan MacLeod joins a band of immortals, who seek The Source, the place where their immortality comes from. Their quest is hindered by The Guardian, protector of The Source, who has plans of his own.The film was met with negative reactions from both critics and fans alike.
— The Guardian
This film has the examples of:
- Age Without Youth: The Elder, cursed so by The Source.
- Artistic License – Astronomy:
- When the Planets Align "could just be... orbital wobble" which is replied to with "Orbital wobble is one thing, but this! This is outside the laws of celestial mechanics!" which might hint that it is something different, but then...
- At the end, when Duncan reaches the Source, apparently Jupiter and Saturn are closer to Earth than the Moon.
- Batman Gambit: The Guardian's killing of Duncan's friends, particularly Joe is an attempt to get him pissed off enough that he'll kill the Guardian, and thereby release the Guardian from his curse, and turn Duncan into the new Guardian. It blows up in his face, since Duncan actually becomes so disillusioned by all the death that he refuses to kill the Guardian, who is destined to occupy his role until the next coming of the Source, possibly for all time.
- Big Bad: The Guardian.
- Crapsack World: The world has gone for the worse since the last movie.
- Dramatic Gun Cock: Dawson wastes precious seconds to do this behind The Guardian's back. One can also clearly see the unspent shell flying out of his shotgun.
- Dual Wielding: After Duncan's katana is broken, he picks up two butterfly swords in its place.
- Everything's Better with Spinning: The final battle has lots of spinning.
- Fate Worse Than Death: Both the Elder and the Guardian are experiencing this during the film. It's implied that the Elder is allowed to die when Duncan claims the Source... but the Guardian isn't so lucky.
- Holier Than Thou: Father Giovanni's attitude.
- I'm a Humanitarian: The island where The Source lies is inhabitated by cannibals.
- Immortal Procreation Clause: The Source can remove this problem.
- Impromptu Tracheotomy: Duncan throws his Katana through The Guardian's throat.
- Incoming Ham: The Guardian approaching Duncan.THIS IS THE END OF TIIIIME!
- Kryptonite-Proof Suit: The Guardian decapitation-proof neck armour, which vanishes after he receives his quickening from defeating Zai Jie.
- Off with His Head!: You bet.
- Only the Pure of Heart: The Prize is revealed to be claimable by virtue. Being virtuous also grants the needed strenght to best The Guardian.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: Cardinal Giovanni reacts to the Elder's revelations about the titular Source by exclaiming that "This is blasphemy!" The Elder's response? ""IT... IS... TRUUUUUEEEE!!"
- Retcon: More specifically, a Re-Retcon. The extended ending that was added to the DVD cut of Highlander: Endgame undid Faith's death and revealed that Kell couldn't go through with killing her. This film, on the other hand, resets things to the theatrical cut of Endgame and says that Faith did die in that film.
- Also, the entire movie was declared to be All Just a Dream.
- Royal Rapier: Reggie's weapon of choice.
- Sheathe Your Sword: In the end, Duncan refuses to kill The Guardian, which is the correct way to defeat him.
- Signature Line: The Guardian's "This is the end of time!"
- Sudden Sequel Death Syndrome: Happens to Joe. Methos's fate is left uncertain.
- Super Speed: The Guardian. Duncan also develops it when gets near The Source.
- Theme Tune Cameo:
- The Guardian sings "Who Wants to Live Forever" to mock Reggie at the graveyard.
- A cover version of "Princes of the Universe" appears after the protagonists defeat a gang of cannibal maniacs.
- When the Planets Align: The Source will reveal itself when this happens.
- Wrecked Weapon: After Duncan hurls it like a spear through his neck, The Guardian snaps Duncan's katana in two, and even impales Joe Dawson through the chest with what's left of it.
- You Kill It, You Bought It: Whoever decapitates The Guardian will take his place.