open/close all folders
Round 5 Champions
Champion ShieldAlive... for now.
- Brutal Honesty: Church still doesn't really know what tact is.
"Is it just me, or is it like way easier to talk about complicated shit with (Ardyn) because everything about his life is already complicated and horrible and neverending pain?"
- Do Not Call Me "Paul": Insists on not using the dehumanizing name on his profile.
- Grand Theft Me: As in Round 2, he thinks he's hijacked the body he inhabits and initially suspects it may be Agent Washington's.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Loudly and occasionally at length.
Champion PatriarchAlive... for now.
- Bad Liar: Was never a good one, just very convincing. Continues insisting he's an ordinary chancellor even when Noctis is five feet away to contradict him, and the whole act falls apart within the first few days.
- Break Them by Talking: Keeps trying to do this to Xander, particularly at the first motive announcement.
Xander: I've done fouler (things).Ardyn: [smiling] As have I, yet you’re the one faltering in the face of no more than the faint panic you are complicit in inspiring. This is what your handlers want and the means by which your precious ‘payment’ will be earned. If you can’t accept that, then you are a poor excuse for a would-be bloodthirsty overseer. Coward.
- Cultured Badass: Ardyn speaks multiple languages, has written books and plays, and seems to know all kinds of things. Presumably because he's had a lot of spare time.
- Knight in Sour Armor: Keeps insisting he hates people for being terrible and selfish. Does the right thing anyway when Xander leaves Church and Nari injured, helping both with their wounds immediately as well as the next day.
- My Skull Runneth Over: Immediately runs into this problem upon realizing The Fog of Ages no longer applies to things like taste, exhaustion, emotions, and simply existing in a human body.
- Mythology Gag: Carries a replica Rune Blade as of week three, and claims to have written the opera from the same installment under the alias Gabranth Malheur. Ardyn himself canonically flirts with being one long Inspiration Nod to Kefka.
- Overly Long Name: Just look at it. Since he initially doesn't remember how he got all those last names, this leads to some confusion and a short-lived theory.
- Sense Freak: From his perspective, he hasn't tasted anything or felt positive emotions for thousands of years. He starts to overload a little.
- That Man Is Dead: Says as much almost verbatim to Noctis, when questioned why his first instinct was to help people like the healer he used to be.
Champion SovereignAlive... for now.
- Canon Name: Well, canon to Airlocked at least: the player guild from The Fafnir Knight is now named "Starlight." Averted for the Knight himself, who instead gets Plot-Based Voice Cancellation.
- Friend to All Living Things: And non-living. She treats the Roombas like pets and describes them as friendly.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: When she remembers her relationship with Clarith after the latter starts dating Touko, Arianna tries to convince herself that Clarith is better off without her anyway. However, Clarith responds by deciding to teach both women about her religion's positive attitude towards polyamory.
- Meaningful Rename: Her profile lists her as having Yuuri's surname, in acknowledgement of her informally taking it at the end of round 2.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Subverted. Her attempt to escape the night patrol robots by just going through the nearest doorway (a technique that works on FOEs in Etrian Odyssey) was meant to be this, but it actually worked.
Champion TycoonAlive... for now.
- Stealth Insult: Gives backhanded compliments even about people who aren't here.
- Took a Level in Kindness: With his end-series memories, Togami is making a conscious effort to be polite and improve his people skills. Grudgingly, but still.
Champion Useless BrotherAlive... for now.
- Cannot Talk to Women: However, Wistful Amnesia makes it easier for him to talk to the Round 2 women.
- Fanboy: An alien Idol Singer is listed under his likes.
Champion of ForgivenessAlive... for now.
- All-Loving Hero: Seems this way to the others. However, Clarith admits that her facing the world with a smile and insistence on opening her arms even to enemies is a conscious and constant struggle lest she snap in anger like she did in 2-1 or even in canon, as she explained to Touko.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Doesn't believe her profile not because she doesn't remember marrying a princess but because she doesn't think anyone would ever want her.
Champion of EarthAlive... for now.
- Broken Ace: This Doctor acts manically self-confident, but he's even worse off on the inside than the last version was.
- Catchphrase: Early on, when he's trying to figure out his new personality, he tries out a few different catchphrases and apparently ends up keeping all of them.
- I Hate Past Me: Describes his previous regeneration as "a surly U-Boat captain."
- Keet: He's the bounciest, most hyperactive guy you've ever seen, though it has a bit of a Stepford Smiler element.
- Same Character, but Different: Apparently regenerated because of the events of the preceding intermission, so he's the Tenth Doctor now.
- Troll: He pulls a lot of harmless pranks such as Malicious Misnaming and suspending a disturbing doll in front of a security camera to troll Xander.
Champion of CompassionAlive... for now.
- Badass Longcoat: He regains his coat early on and certainly seems to think it looks cool (and he's right, really).
Champion of LifeAlive... for now.
- Absurdly Youthful Mother: Jane lets slip that she has children the same age she is. Only later, when everyone is boggled and she's completely embarrassed, does Jane explain that they're time travel test tube clones.
- Appropriated Appellation: Jane keeps "of Nohr" on her name even if she doesn't know what it's doing there, specifically because Xander says she has no relation to the place and she identifies that as a clue.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Jane does this a LOT, as the nature of Homestuck incorporates a lot of pop culture references that have popped up in the game, such as the robots modeled after juggalos and a restaurant called "The Lost Planet of Flavortown reminding her of the fate of the Alpha Kids' version of Earth.
- Prince of Pranksters: Dialed up even moreso with her increasing plots to make Overseer Xander's life miserable; she's implied to have covered his office door in clown wrapping paper with Nari, and took express note of the whipped cream canisters while investigating the Starbucks.
- They're Called Personal Issues for a Reason: Alludes to the secrets she keeps as this, such as being able to bring back the dead, the nature of being a God Tier, and her increasing pity towards Xander; she feared they would make her a target for the other Champions' hatred, or even drive someone to kill her. All but the last, so far, are things she begins to trust telling others over time.
Champion ChallengerAlive... for now.
- Cyborg: Junpei's first clue that enough time has passed to make the profiles correct is that he has a metal arm he didn't have before but his body has already adjusted to it.
Champion of Chloe PriceAlive... for now.
- Always Save the Girl: Not — after all, she was the "Champion of Arcadia Bay" in her round for a reason. Even so, she feels like she's being mocked with her current title for not doing this, and trials keep making her waver on whether it was the right decision.
Champion DragonAlive... for now.
- Does Not Like Spam: Nari goes on a warpath against pineapple pizza in the first week.
- Fiery Redhead: She's picked a few fights with those who seem too innocent, cheery, or all-loving, or, on the other hand, those who are outright positioned as enemies.
- Knight in Sour Armour: Kind of a jerk if she doesn't trust you, supportive and sweet if you get past her defences, and determined to live through it all.
Champion of PrideAlive... for now.
- Do Not Call Me "Paul": Despite otherwise insisting on propriety, starting in this round, Natsuhi refuses to be referred to by her surname.
- Tragic Keepsake: One of her regains is a photo of her daughter when she was a baby.
Champion Mercy-KillerAlive... for now.
- Sympathy for the Devil: Toward Ardyn. Naturally, this causes confusion for Ardyn, as well as Ardyn accusing Noctis of acting.
Champion Space PirateAlive... for now.
- Apologizes a Lot: It's a constant in her life.
- Broken Ace: More so then before, now that she fully remembers murdering Penny Polendina, and letting the power of the Fall Maiden be lost.
- Pirate Girl: Though she doesn't remember being one, it's used as her title.
Champion of SoulsAlive... for now.
- Troubled, but Cute: He's still a Pretty Boy, and this time, he remembers being a vampire with all the angst and the dark side that comes with it.
Champion HereticThe culprit of case 1 (week 2)
- Fish out of Temporal Water: Due to her memory being erased, she has a tougher time discerning whether everything is Sufficiently Analyzed Magic. During her reveal as the culprit, she explains her belief that everyone's really in Hell as part of why she was trying to contact Black Phillip.
- Flowery Elizabethan English: Puritan, actually, but still early modern.
- Wicked Witch: She agreed to become one of these, literal Deal with the Devil and all, but is having second thoughts.
Champion StalkerAlive... for now.
- Amnesia Missed a Spot: Averted. As in Round 3, E.P. didn't make the same mistake Junko did.
Champion AmicicideAlive... for now.
- Covert Pervert: He seems perfectly normal, but will admit to reading erotica, and when Noct is recreating monsters from his world in candy form, Varric says they look like something from porn.
- Good Is Not Soft: Varric's kind to the other Champions, but he's not a fan of mercy given to their captors.
Champion PeacekeeperAlive... for now.
- Lethal Chef: She's only worse in a setting that gives kitchens from the start.
- Passive-Aggressive Kombat: Yurika's PA side is in full force here, expressing her annoyance with harmless jabs like making a diagram of the mall but representing Togami with a Xenomorph and Xander with a zombie with a knife sticking out of its eye.
Champion of the School Living ClubThe victim of case 1 (week 2).
- Big Sister Instinct: Ruu's safety is her main priority. She also begins acting sisterly towards Arianna early on, though it's unclear if this is Wistful Amnesia, Yuuri projecting her actual sister onto the princess, or both.
- Dramatic Irony: Like Round 2, she starts off cagey about the state of her world and the real purpose of the School Living Club. Additionally though, losing her Airlocked memories means losing the closure she gained over her sister's death and she comes into the game still believing that Ruu is alive. This is ultimately what leads to her death.
- Club President: As per her new title.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Her profile lists one of her occupations as 'princess', vis-a-vis Ardyn. Somewhat subverted in that Yuuri's more confused and irritated by the addition than anything.
- Girl with Psycho Weapon: She takes a carving knife as a weapon on the night she intends to kill Xander, though she doesn't get a chance to use it.
- In-Series Nickname: She's called "Rii-san" as usual by those she asks to use it. Additionally, Church begins (or rather, continues) calling her 'Yuyu' and 'Yuyubean' part way into the first week.
- The Last of These Is Not Like the Others: Her profile is formatted this way, with each section starting off with a few relatively mundane items and then finishing with something seemingly out of character or unsettling.
- The Lost Lenore: Dies before the first memory regain, sending Junpei into a Heroic B.S.O.D..
- Meaningful Rename: Her title of "Green Thumb" from season 2 is swapped out for "Champion of the School Living Club", reflecting her status as its last surviving member in Airlocked.
- Revenge Before Reason: She intends to make an attempt on Xander's life for lying about her sister, despite knowing she'll likely be overpowered and killed in return. Yuuri herself even acknowledges that this is 'stupid and reckless'.
- Silk Hiding Steel: Her profile lists her traits as "Gentle, Terrifying".
- Stepford Smiler: Even more so than round 2 — she comes from a canon point where she's still fooling herself into believing Ruu is alive.
- Team Chef: She's certainly not the only one present but she makes a point of making and handing out lunches to everyone as a way to fill time.
- Team Mom: She immediately starts trying to play this role for the Champions just as she did for the School Living Club.
OverseerAlive... for now.
- Friendly Enemy: While he's determined to see the game through for his own reasons, Xander also seems to care somewhat and doesn't want them to injure themselves or die in a way that isn't part of the rules. Some of the Champions see him as Laughably Evil.
- Necromantic: He says that he's complied with being an Overseer because InterGal 7 offered him something more important than any stranger. It's implied that they offered to revive Elise, the sister he accidentally killed.
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: The Champions thought for most of the first week that he was just posturing. Then he punished Church and Nari...
- Rich in Dollars, Poor in Sense: Since the Champions don't know where he's from (though some suspect it's not space) and he does things like try to listen to an iPod by putting the machine to his ear instead of using headphones, some of them wonder if he's a dumb ivory tower type.
- Mysterious Protector: Warns Arianna of coming danger at the end of the first week, and Fukawa of the impending first motive.
- Samus Is a Girl: Arianna assumes she's a man, only to be corrected.
- Voice with an Internet Connection: Claims to be someone inconsequential and sends messages through the PIP.
- Withholding Their Name: Gets her In-Series Nickname of "Lady Consequence" by refusing to identify herself as anything other than "someone of no consequence."