Theodore James "T.J." Wilson (born July 11, 1980) is a Canadian professional wrestler currently under contract with WWE. As the final graduate of the infamous Hart Family Dungeon, Wilson made his wrestling debut in 1995 at the age of 15 and worked for organizations such as Stampede Wrestling (under the ring name "Stampede Kid"), New Japan Pro-Wrestling, All Star Wrestling and AWA Superstars of Wrestling (under his own name). He signed developemental contracts with WWE in 2006 where he performed as Tyson Kidd for Deep South Wrestling and Florida Championship Wrestling, accompanied by his then real-life girlfriend and current wife Natalya Neidhart.
Kidd made his WWE television debut in 2009 on its ECW brand as a Heel and formed The Hart Dynasty with Natalya and David Hart Smith, son of British Bulldog Davey Boy Smith. The group was drafted to the SmackDown Brand later that year and won the Unified WWE Tag Team Championship twice. After a brief face turn the group disbanded in 2010 and Tyson was toiling in the undercard for the next two years. He formed another tag team with Justin Gabriel (2012-2014) and later Cesaro (2014-2015), winning the WWE Tag Team Championship with Cesaro. Wilson suffered a severe neck injury during a dark match on June 7, 2015 at the hands of a botched Muscle Buster from Samoa Joe and has been inactive since, later transitioning into an off-screen role in production.
Tropes applying to Tyson Kidd
- Adaptational Badass: Of a sort. Like his partner Cesaro, Tyson Kidd is presented as FAR more dangerous on NXT, with the show going into detail on his technical skill and versatility. During the first Takeover special, he was presented as an equal to the NXT Champion Adrian Neville and Neville's toughest challenge.
- Arch-Enemy: The Usos, while part of the Hart Dynasty and his team with Cesaro. Yoshi Tatsu and Michael McGillicutty and Adrian Neville on NXT.
- Bald of Awesome: As a face.
- Bald of Evil: As a heel.
- Catch-Phrase: As a heel as of mid-late 2014 on WWE NXT: "FACT"
- Charlie Brown Baldness/Idiot Hair: The small "crown" of hair he used to wear at the fore of his dome.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Natalya to whom he's married.
- David vs. Goliath: Has a couple of televised wins over Prince Al-er...Tensai to his credit.
- Defeat Means Friendship: After they had a match, which he lost, on Superstars, he and Justin Gabriel formed a tag team.
- Demoted to Extra: Went from being in a successful tag team to spending his days on NXT and Superstars. Recently subverted, as he currently now not only is he a in a pretty successful team with Cesaro, he and Cesaro were the WWE Tag Team Champion's for a good while. The team is unfortunately done due to Kidd suffering a severe neck injury from a live event and eventually moving into a producer role.
- Game-Breaking Injury: Both his partnerships with Justin Gabriel and Cesaro were pre-empted by Tyson suffering major injuries. In the Gabriel case he suffered a torn meniscus in his knee, and in the Cesaro case it was the aforementioned Muscle Buster neck injury which may also be the case for his entire career. The emergency surgery required would've left his neck and spine paralyzed were it not for his physical conditioning as a pro wrestler. Only 1 in 20 people survive having to go through it for any considerable length of time, and most of those end up quadriplegic. Just ask Christopher Reeve.
- Heel–Face Revolving Door: Much like Natalya, seems to flip back and forth with very little warning or setup. Prior to his major neck injury he was last a face, alongside Natalya and Cesaro.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Shares this distinction with Nattie in real life. It became part of his character, though interestingly it started back when he was still a heel, so for a while the "kindhearted" part was sort of subverted.
- Last of His Kind: The last graduate of the Hart Family Dungeon.
- Real Men Wear Pink: As part of the Hart Dynasty, started to wear basic black after the break-up.
- Running Gag: Had a new manager accompany him every (other) week (on Superstars). This eventually became an Aborted Arc.
- Screaming Warrior: "YEEEAAAAHH!!!" several times during every match.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: His love for cats does have its limits. On Total Divas, while Nattie is taking dominatrix lessons to freshen up her persona, TJ balks and bails as soon as his role in this involves actually purring like a cat.
- Underwear of Power: Although he has now switched to long tights.
- What Does She See in Him?: For a while, Kidd and Natalya's characters as an official husband-wife couple was portrayed to evoke this on main show programming and NXT to go with his turn as a frustrated stuck-up heel. Some of his antics during matches (for example, 'accidentally' ending up behind Natalya when he's getting physically overpowered or holding a falling Bella Twin in a Bridal Carry for several seconds too long) would call to question at times how the hell the two can stay together. Michael Cole subtly painted the picture while interviewing them that Tyson had to step up and win more to meet Nattie's standard, acknowledging the then-surging "Nattie's Husband" chants meant to deride him as the heel. He made a far bigger showing of being upset at that particular development than she did.
- Wrestling Family: Considered by many to be an 'honorary' member of the Harts due to his longtime affiliation with them. He officially married into the family in 2013 with his wedding to Natalya.