Kakuge Yaro: Fighting Game Creator is a PlayStation-only Fighting Game made in The '90s by IPC Software released only in Japan. The game was composed by 7 characters: a karateka, an Anime Chinese Girl, an Eagleland American, two High School girls, a construction worker and a robot. Some of the plus of this game are the beautifully drawn sprites and portraits, the colorful stages (with an unexpected cameo) and the possibility of create your own version of the character, selecting the moves you want to make your character unique, predating 3D fighting games by many years. Sadly, the game has a poor gameplay, few characters to defeat and in general had nothing to do against giants as Capcom and SNK game franchises as well various other independent fighting games for PlayStation that overpassed Kakuge Yaro so far.
Although the game went into obscurity at the point no one knew about it even on Japan, Kakuge Yaro gained a revitalized new fame in the Turn of the Millennium thanks to M.U.G.E.N, whose creators (especially from Mugen Guild and MRev forum communities) took the sprites and remade characters to their own way to create a new standard for the characters of that time, becoming a fad in the 2000s. Also the stages, lifebars and screenpack had been recreated for this game engine, and even closed fullgames had been made, like Project Lensman.
Even though the game itself is hardly to find by standard ways, Emulation is another way to get it, even having an English patch that improves the experience of the game for non-Japanese players. Or, you can download characters, stages and screenpack for M.U.G.E.N and recreate it there.
Kakuge Yaro provides examples for:
- Anime Chinese Girl: The Rose-Haired Sweetie with the red qipao and blue stockings.
- Character Customization: One of the first games that has this option, predating 3D fighting games by many years.
- Ditto Fighter: You can equip your character with the moves you want.
- Eagleland: The American guy. Type 1.
- Femme Fatale: The Anime Chinese Girl. This is Up to Eleven in M.U.G.E.N. with characters like XCB's Blaque.
- Fingerless Gloves: Like the half of characters have them.
- Joshikousei: There're 2 school girls in this game.
- Martial Arts Headband: The construction worker.
- Mighty Glacier: The construction worker and the robot.
- Mirror Match: Having very few characters on the roster, this happens a lot. Also, having the option of customize your character (and the AI can do it too), none of the mirror matches are the same.
- M.U.G.E.N: The game gained new and fresh popularity thanks to this engine's creators whose recreated and remade all the characters from this game to their own way, as well the stages and the lifebars. Also, there're a couple of closed fullgames based on Kakuge Yaro that tried to right what this game has wrong.
- No Name Given: All fighters have names that aren't untranslatable even in the English patch of the game. Also, the game itself has the option to change the name of your character.
- Shotoclone: The karateka, also he's The Protagonist in the game.
- Shout-Out: Dejiko and Gema appears in one of the stages of the game.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: If you have problems finding or playing the game, M.U.G.E.N is a good alternative, ensembling your own version of the game.
- Worker Unit: The construction worker.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: The karateka has dark purple hair, the Anime Chinese Girl is a Rose-Haired Sweetie and both schoolgirls have light purple and green hair, respectively.