Billie Bust-Up is a musical 3D Platformer developed and published by British independent video game studio Blueprint Games set to release in 2024, following a successful campaign on Kickstarter. It features a variety of talent, such as music composers Daniel Ingram (who worked on Littlest Pet Shop (2012) and My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic) and Gooseworx (creator of Little Runmo), and voice actors Michael Kovach and Edward Bosco.
Although the game is currently in development, a Pre-Alpha Demo was made publicly available through Steam and Itch.io (the latter password-locked due to Kickstarter backers getting early access to it), which contains a test level that demonstrates all of Billie and Oscar's abilities, as well as a boss fight against one of the villains, Fantoccio. Previous demos have been released, but only through an official Patreon, and only to patrons. For now, only material from Publicly Available Demos and Trailers should be listed below, as anything in pre-release material is subject to change during development.
Tropes Present in the Trailers and/or Demo Version:
- Affably Evil: Barnaby, the ghostly owl who is planned to be one of the four main bosses. In this storyboard preview released by the developers, he makes light of, and even giggles at, Billie having to kill herself in order to properly attend his party.
- Casting a Shadow: One character featured in trailers (roughly 50 seconds into that specific one) is Barnaby, a long-eared owl ghost and one of the major villains in the game that has Snatcher-y black-purple skin and glowing orange eyes.
- Creepy Doll: Fantoccio, a major villain and the Pre-Alpha Demo boss, is a living marionette puppet.
- Double Jump: One of Billie's abilities, which she can perform in the Demo, is to summon a pair of wings that give her a huge jump, and can flap three extra times in mid-air.
- Fast Tunnelling: As seen in the BBU - 3D Platforming with Friends video by the developers, Oscar is capable of doing this in order to bypass some obstacles.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: The Pre-Alpha Demo fight against Fantoccio ends with his stage-destroying attacks causing his theatre to collapse on top of him.
- Virtual Pet: This trailer features footage of "Oscar's Petting Game", an in-game activity in which you can play around with Billie's pet fox.