As the continuation of Psychonauts and Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin, Raz will finally get to go to Psychonauts headquarters — his lifelong dream. There he can see Sasha and Milla in their natural environment — international espionage. But he finds several things strange about the organization. While Truman Zanotto was missing, several changes to the direction of the organization were made by his second in command. Funding was cut from traditional psychic research and peacekeeping and redirected to unorthodox, fringe endeavors, including the discredited practice of necromancy.
Raz soon uncovers sinister things at work in the shadows of Psychonauts headquarters, including double agents and evils of the past. Raz's own family history plays a pivotal part in the story, and Raz must confront the roots of the curse placed on his family once and for all. And also deal with this whole "girlfriend" term and what it really means.
This game provides examples of:
- Airborne Mook: The gameplay trailer shows flying creatures with bird wings that seem to drop bombs.
- Anti-Frustration Features: The E3 2019 demo shows that figments are now animated doodles that no longer fade in and out, making collecting them less of a pain. Their neon colors are brighter than the first game, making them stick out like a sore thumb.
- Crazy-Prepared: The announcement teaser shows a villain who has got all their physical bases covered, hence the need for an equally crazy team of psychic-powered spies.Private: General! We've located the base where they're holding the hostages, sir!
General: Excellent. Mobilize the ground troops we have on standby.
Private: Sir! The base is on an island, thirty miles off-shore!
General: Then you'd better get the Admiral on the phone.
Private: The surrounding waters are heavily mined for miles, sir!
General: Then send in the air force!
Private: Sir! The airspace around the island is patrolled by dirty-bomb drones, which are telepathically controlled by a comatose young girl who believes she is herding sheep, sir!
General: ... Then send in... the Psychonauts!
- Everything Fades: The gameplay trailer shows that the defeated enemies instantly disappear in a puff of smoke. Justified, since they are all generated by the minds you are going through.
- He Knows Too Much: In the E3 2019 demo, Loboto's boss threatens to send his partner after him if he reveals his identity to the Psychonauts or anyone else.And if you ever tell anyone about me, anyone at all... you'll have to deal with her.
- Mind over Matter: The gameplay trailer shows that Raz possesses the telekinesis power, and can use to drag and throw plenty of environmental objects around.
- Playing with Fire: Pyrokinesis is one the powers Raz starts off with as shown in the new gameplay trailer, and he puts them to good use by igniting the enemies.
- Punny Name: The Psychonaut Headquarters is called the Motherlobe. Raz actually lampshades how the Psychonauts really like puns in the story trailer.
- Shattered World: We get a brief glimpse into Agent Cruller's mind during the story trailer. As Cruller himself says, some minds are too dangerous to read.
- Super Spit: The "mouth" level seen in the gameplay trailer has black creatures bubbling up from the "floor" as one of the enemies, and which attack by spitting a stream of thick black vapor.
- Wall Jump: Raz is seen doing the traditional diagonal jump between two walls in the E3 2019 gameplay trailer.