- Actor Allusion:
- Dyeing for Your Art: She shaved off her signature long blonde hair for the film Sisters.
- Enforced Method Acting: For the scene in How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days where Andie surprises Ben with a new dog, Kate improvised plastering Matthew McConaughey with kisses. That's his genuine reaction. She and the director also didn't tell the other actors that she was going to toss the platter of vegetables at the poker table.
- Hide Your Pregnancy: During Raising Helen.
- Hollywood Hype Machine: During the early 2000s, she found herself headlining plenty of romantic comedies, alongside lots of bikini shoots and fashion endorsements. Ultimately it didn't hold up, and she gradually fell out of favour with critics and audiences. In the later 2000s, Katherine Heigl seemed to take her place as the go-to Everyone Loves Blondes rom-com lead.
- I Am Not Leonard Nimoy: Kate Hudson is always a beautiful and powerful, yet slightly Adorkable blonde Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places. Most of her roles will evoke Penny Lane in some way.
- Irony as She Is Cast: She claims she's not a fan of Romantic Comedy as a genre.
- Leslie Nielsen Syndrome: Almost Famous put her on the map as a Dramedy. Afterwards she became typecast in romantic comedies, barring The Skeleton Key (horror) and Nine (musical). As of Deepwater Horizon she seems to be approaching drama again.
- Name's the Same: She shares a name with a British political activist. Katy Perry also has Hudson as her last name, and uses Perry to avoid confusion. Perry is also a natural blonde and dyes her hair black for this reason too.
- The Other Marty: Sarah Polley was originally cast as Penny Lane in Almost Famous, but she backed out before filming and Kate replaced her.
- Playing Against Type:
- Real-Life Relative:
- Romance on the Set: With Owen Wilson during You, Me and Dupree.
- Star-Making Role: She became famous after Almost Famous.
- Those Two Actors: With Matthew McConaughey.
- Throw It In!:
- What Could Have Been:
- She turned down a role in Escape from L.A. because it was headlined by her step-father, stating that she wanted to see if she can make the auditions without any association with her very well-known step-dad (and family in general). She did.
- She was the original choice (and was offered the role) of Mary Jane Watson in the Spider-Man Trilogy but turned it down.
- When Sarah Polley was set to play Penny Lane in Almost Famous, Kate was cast as William's sister Anita. When she dropped out, Kate instead played Penny.
Trivia / Kate Hudson