Richie Rich is an American sitcom series produced by DreamWorks Animation via its AwesomenessTV label for Netflix. The show is loosely (note how the term is emphasized) based upon the Harvey Comics character of the same name, with Jake Brennan playing the eponymous character. However, all of the original characters (except for Richie, his dad and Irona) were replaced with a new supporting cast. The first season, consisting of 10 episodes, was released on February 20, 2015. A second season of 11 episodes was released on May 22, 2015.
This series provides examples of:
- Adaptation Name Change: In the original comics, Richie's dad is named Richard Rich Sr. Here, he is known as Cliff.
- Adaptational Attractiveness: Irona. In this series, Richie splurged on the supermodel model.
- Adaptational Backstory Change:
- Instead of Richie being from a well-established wealthy family, he got his fortune from creating a reusable energy source.
- Irona's origin was changed from being a creation of Professor Keenbean, to being just from a pre-existing line of robot maids
- Adapted Out: With the exceptions of Irona and Richie's dad, none of the supporting cast from the comics appeared.
- Alliterative Title: As always.
- Canon Foreigner: Richie's older sister Harper.
- In Name Only: The show basically has nothing in common with the original comics.
- Literal Metaphor: Apparently the reason Richie's sister hates him is because all he did was catch lightning in a bottle. Literally; he kept all his vegetables in a bottle that accidentally got struck with lightning which somehow created free energy.