Lisa joins a competitive math team at school. According to Al Jean, it will have "the most complicated math jokes the writers have ever done."
- Animation Bump: The Couch Gag with Rick and Morty, animated with Adobe Flash at Bardel Entertainment.
- Homer laughs next to a sign with a joke written on it, making it seem he's laughing at the joke. He's actually laughing at a nearby dog whose face is inside a box.
- Later, after Homer has sung along to "Ode to Joy":Homer: I feel like Beethoven...when Charles Grodin finally accepted him as his dog.
- After Springfield's team wins, it's implied Willie is about to say Lisa deserves thanks for this. He instead thanks low standards.
- Basement-Dweller: Before earning their fortunes, the judges at the early competition lived in basements. One of them jokes that their current basements are under fancy mansions.
- Brick Joke: When Willie protests against taking orders from a vacuuming robot, Principal Skinner says the robot doesn't speak yet but, if it ever learns, Willie will have to obey it. Later, when Willie is asked to supervise the school's math team for the next competition, he says he needs permission from his supervisor. The robot emits a green light which Willie takes for the permission being granted.
- Crossover: With Rick and Morty on the Couch Gag.
- Epic Fail: Before they get Willie's coaching skills, the Mathletics team fails to score a single point.
- Fun with Acronyms: Education Satisfies Peculiar Nerds. When Marge says ESPN isn't sponsoring it, the message is changed to Dad Overestimates Hype.
- Medium Awareness: Rick knows The Simpsons is a cartoon with several characters and references the episode that featured George H. W. Bush.
- Privileged Rival: The Waverly Hills Elementary School math team is this to Lisa's team.
- Self-Made Man: The judges at the math competition that takes place before Willie becomes Springfield's coach became wealthy by making and selling an application.
- Shout-Out: The Couch Gag Crossover features a Slurm vending machine.
- Take That!: One scene pokes fun of Michael Bay.
- Tempting Fate: When Lisa and her team mates arrive at the building the math competition will take place, one of them comments it must finally be safe to wear their team jerseys. Right after they do so, Nelson shows up and hits them.
- Wrong Side of the Tracks: Waverly Hills' team is described as being "from the right side of the tracks".