A group of college students accidentally bring Solomon Grundy back to life, who then rampages through the city. Superman, Green Lantern, and Vixen go off to stop him. They get backup in the form of Dr. Fate, Aquaman, Amazo, and a surprise appearance from Shayera, who may be the only one who can stop the super zombie.
This episode includes examples of:
- Attack Backfire: For the first (and only) time, A.M.A.Z.O. cannot take care of the situation. In fact, his attack only makes Grundy stronger and even hurts him.
- The Bus Came Back: Shayera returns to action for the first time since "Starcrossed."
- Call-Back: Superman's belief in second chances is a subtle reminder of how his credibility was tarnished after Darkseid brainwashed him and how he eventually regained the world's trust.
- Came Back Wrong: Grundy is reanimated as a creature of mindless rage, with nothing left of his original personality.
- Deus Exit Machina: A.M.A.Z.O. teleports away due to Grundy being able to absorb his power and grow stronger.
- Easily Forgiven: The Leaguers welcome Shayera back into the fold (mostly) without a second thought. Specifically, John is mentioned as having recused himself from the vote at the end of "Starcrossed" and Superman broke the tie.Superman: I believe in second chances. I believe in redemption. But mostly, I believe in my friends.
- Hurl It into the Sun: Shayera makes a crack about Amazo doing this to Grundy.
- "I Know You're in There Somewhere" Fight: Shayera tries to talk to Grundy. It doesn't work.
- I'm Standing Right Here:Aquaman: Such scintillating reparte. I get better conversation from the android.
AMAZO: "...You are aware I'm in the room?
- No One Could Survive That!: Vixen and Aquaman crush Grundy under a giant statue, but Superman doesn't believe for a second that would be enough to stop him. Vixen claims there's no way he could've taken that and live, just before Grundy pops out and manhandles her.
- Our Zombies Are Different: Grundy is a super-powered zombie capable of shrugging off hits from Superman.
- Promotion to Opening Titles: As Shayera rejoins the League in this episode, she begins appearing in the opening credit sequence with the other founding members from here on out.
- Shoot the Dog: Shayera is forced to put Grundy out of his misery, and even lampshades Old Yeller.Green Lantern: What are you saying?
Shayera: Your favorite movie is Old Yeller, you know exactly what he's saying!
- Shout-Out: Aside from the reference to Old Yeller, one of the college students has a copy of the horror movie "Wicked Scary" from the Teen Titans episode "Fear Itself", a figurine of Hellboy, and a poster with an upside-down Starfleet logo.
- Smart People Play Chess: Shayera used to beat Batman at chess regularly, but is too distracted by her own self-loathing to put in any effort against Aquaman. Then Amazo decides he wants to play, and trounces Aquaman repeatedly.
- The Reveal: At the end of Starcrossed, Hawkgirl left before her fate was determined, wishing to spare her teammates the turmoil of dealing with a traitor. Here it is revealed, both to her and the general public (as well as the audience), that she was never dismissed from the League and can return anytime she likes. It's further revealed Green Lantern recused himself from voting because of his personal attachment, with two votes for Shayera staying (likely J'onn and Flash), and two against (mayhaps Wonder Woman and Batman). Superman broke the tie in Shayera's favor.
- Ungrateful Townsfolk: After ending Grundy and saving the city, its citizens throw angry remarks at Shayera as they have not forgiven or forgotten the Thanagarian takeover incident she was involved in back in "Starcrossed". She still has a long way to go towards being forgiven.
- The Unintelligible: Grundy only grunts and screams. This was actually always intended before the writers knew that they wouldn't be able to record Mark Hamill.